Formula 1 Eyetime Großer Preis von Österreich 2018

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments
But neither the FIA, FOM, GPDA or the promoters see it as a problem.

So how could it be an issue, big enough for the FIA to demand all the tracks install sensors on the white lines?
Once again the sport is littered with past issues that the main stakeholders didn't think was an issue but fans did.

Holy 🤬 you guys have to watch the last five laps of the Formula 2 race, and if you don't have time for that then just the last lap. Signs of what we might get when the aero rules change for the better next year or the year after that.

FIA
The Stewards reviewed the video evidence, team radio and heard from the driver of car 5 (Sebastian Vettel), the driver of car 55 (Carlos Sainz) and team representatives.

Car 5 had just finished a push lap and was on an in lap, travelling quite slowly into and around turn 1, on the racing line. The driver conceded that he had passed car 55 between turns 7 and 8 but assumed it had pitted after.

However, car 55 was actually commencing a push lap and closed on car 5 rapidly along the pit straight and into turn 1. During evidence, the driver of car 55 stated that he felt the driver of car 5 was completely unaware of his approach.

This was confirmed by the driver of car 5 who stated he was unable to see car 55 in his mirrors and that his team had not informed him of its approach, by radio. The latter was confirmed by the team representative.

It is the belief of the Stewards that notwithstanding the absence of a radio call, the driver of car 5, being aware of the issue of rear vision with his mirrors, should not have been so slow and on the racing line, during a slowdown lap in Qualification.

Having reviewed all alleged impeding incidents since the beginning of 2016, the penalty of a drop of 3 grid positions is consistent with all other similar incidents.

Source

adb
I guess they still have different stewards every weekend? Never gonna get any consistency this way.

Different stewards from a small group of the same stewards. And, as you'll note, the penalty was reviewed against other penalties for similar offences for consistency.

Different stewards from a small group of the same stewards. And, as you'll note, the penalty was reviewed against other penalties for similar offences for consistency.
To be fair, I think the penalty was a bit needless.

Vettel was held up at Canada in a similar way and no penalty was given.
This offence was in Q2 and didn’t really affect Sainz’s session... idk I’m glad because it should make for a more exciting start.... but it could also make for a less interesting race/championship fight

To be fair, I think the penalty was a bit needless.

Vettel was held up at Canada in a similar way and no penalty was given.

It firstly depends on whether or not a report was made. I disagree with you - Vettel was slow on the racing line on the exit of a corner, that has to be discouraged and the rules take care of that.

It firstly depends on whether or not a report was made. I disagree with you - Vettel was slow on the racing line on the exit of a corner, that has to be discouraged and the rules take care of that.
I mean, I just think it’s odd he got a penalty (I’m not a Vettel fan). This was a couple of races ago;

As neither drivers result was affected, just seems odd he got a penalty. And I’ve no idea if it was protested or not, which is a good point

I mean, I just think it’s odd he got a penalty (I’m not a Vettel fan). This was a couple of races ago;

As neither drivers result was affected, just seems odd he got a penalty. And I’ve no idea if it was protested or not, which is a good point

I mean it would only ever have affected Sainz. And Carlos put it best, that while he didn't care anymore due to the end result, the penalties are still given. He got one even though it wasn't his fault, it is the fact that drivers should be vigilant and always think of others due to the risk, that they get a penalty.

You know teams don't purposely try to make sure cars are unsafely released, and while no one gets harmed by it many times, they still get penalties because of the possible risk associated. And such penalty is reminder to be more vigilant there after. Same for impeding a driver.

After watching the F2 race, I’m curious how this extra DRS zone will play out. Probably not quite at that level of crazy, but it could be interesting in the midfield.

Anyone have a guess at how many drivers will “become passangers” and “have no other choice” but to use the outside line through the runoff in T1 and T3 in the opening laps? My eyes will be firmly fixed on the action around Grosjean at the start :P

I mean it would only ever have affected Sainz. And Carlos put it best, that while he didn't care anymore due to the end result, the penalties are still given. He got one even though it wasn't his fault, it is the fact that drivers should be vigilant and always think of others due to the risk, that they get a penalty.

You know teams don't purposely try to make sure cars are unsafely released, and while no one gets harmed by it many times, they still get penalties because of the possible risk associated. And such penalty is reminder to be more vigilant there after. Same for impeding a driver.
True enough, I’m not in disagreement with the penalty, just really surprised to be honest.

I guess the biggest difference was that Sainz had to use the run-off to avoid a crash.... still I hope it doesn't affect the racing. Would have loved to have seen Seb and Lewis battling for the lead off Bottas!

Last edited:
Raikkonen goes totally wide at Turn 3, doesn't lose 2nd place, Seriously? Dude back off the throttle for a split second when you rejoin and give Ricciardo 2nd.

Edit: And the fake Heineken graphics to drive through? SMH...

Ricciardo signed two years contract RBR

BTW It was lap one. Luckily Max kept his head cool when Kimi pushed him on the grass....

Back