Formula 1 Gran Premio de México 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 115 comments
Lewis wins the race after all that whining....that guy amazes me sometime! :lol: I'm really shocked that Vettel couldn't get close to him to overtake despite having much newer tires!

Really surprised Hamilton wasn't caught. Well done, but shame the end of the race wasn't as exciting as the start.

Surprisingly boring.

Thought it was going to explode at the end... but, it didn’t.

That said, Vettel was a ****ing idiot at the start. Almost wiping out Lewis and then rear-ending his team mate... shades of 2017(?), his driving is, at times, shambolic.

The fact that a guy who pitted 20 laps after the driver in front of him, couldn’t get past, outlines the problem with F1 today...

The fact that a guy who pitted 20 laps after the driver in front of him, couldn’t get past, outlines the problem with F1 today...
Nah, the hards just lasted longer than anyone foresaw. Not being able to follow a car didn't really play a part too much.

The problem is the stupid arbitrary rule that they have to start on the tires they used in Q2. That has nothing to do with anything other than forcing situations like this. I'm sure if that wasn't a thing (which it might not be next year) most drivers would have started on Hards and used softs at the end, and then it would be more interesting because the Softs would actually drop off so it would matter how long you stayed on the Hards.

Typical Hamilton win. 4th in qualifying, gifted 3rd from an idiotic move by Verstappen, Ferrari completely throws away the win by covering Albon wth the race leader and giving the struggling Vettel in 2nd place the preferential strategy. Hamilton complains the entire race about being on the wrong strategy/tire and it just all works out for him after 50 laps as the tires hold and with Vettel completely useless while Leclerc is too far back to do anything after a fumbled pit stop and the wrong strategy. Unbelievable.

Hamilton is the best driver in the field, don't mistake my words, but his luck and mismanagement by Ferrari (and Red Bull sometimes) nearly at every single race is just ridiculous. Cannot wait to hear him whine about Ferrari being so much quicker for the final races while clearly having the best race pace of the field. And does it really matter how fast Ferrari are when they get the strategy completely wrong at least 80% of the time? It's like taking candy from a baby.

Mercedes well deserved winner again. Best strategists in this F1 circus.
Expected more from Ferrari to battle both Mercs. Unfortunately it turned out a bit of a boring race for victory.

P5&6 for RedBull okayish but with the puncture of Verstappens car it became a mission impossible to battle for the podium. 65 laps on the same tires on this track is not a prize but worth mentioning ;) Albon called for pit stop a lap too early but good race of him.

That said, Vettel was a ****ing idiot at the start. Almost wiping out Lewis and then rear-ending his team mate... shades of 2017(?), his driving is, at times, shambolic.

I think the start with Hamilton is just tough racing amongst chaos, but hitting Leclerc I agree with. Could've broken his wing and given Leclerc a puncture or even spun him round. Another rookie mistake by a 4-time world champion.

When Lewis pitted, they did not trust the hards to last for them. Should have taken the gamble, because they already had Charles on alternative strategy.
Max cruized 65 laps on hards. That's the only positive for him about this race ;)

Why do they always underestimate the hard tire? Do they think it's so much slower it's not worth it over long stints? It doesn't matter how slow you are if there's nowhere to pass which is how most of these tracks are. Mexico is a bit of an exception with the downforce situation but still. Hard tires are made to last

Why do they always underestimate the hard tire? Do they think it's so much slower it's not worth it over long stints? It doesn't matter how slow you are if there's nowhere to pass which is how most of these tracks are. Mexico is a bit of an exception with the downforce situation but still. Hard tires are made to last
They made a pitstop with change of compound mandatory otherwise some racers can race with the same hards the complete race. I guess this rule will not be changed this Thursday?

How Max got driver of the day is beyond me! I think this DOTD should stop because it shows that the viewers don't know what on earth is going on in the track tbh...

Nah, the hards just lasted longer than anyone foresaw. Not being able to follow a car didn't really play a part too much.
THAT'S the problem, combined with the aero wall they hit. None of the top 6 could really get within 2s without those aero issues.

The tires last way too long. The softs lasting 10 and the mediums lasting 25 were great. The time differences still sucked between the medium and hard. Most importantly: You should never be able to run more than 75% of a GP on a single set of tires.

What a great race! Bizarre and lucky strategy from the Mercedes team! Hamilton with the drive of a life time the way he managed the gap the way he managed the tires. Was on the edge of my seat hoping he could hold the lead. And he did it!

The tires last way too long. The softs lasting 10 and the mediums lasting 25 were great. The time differences still sucked between the medium and hard. Most importantly: You should never be able to run more than 75% of a GP on a single set of tires.

Where do you get the idea from? It's up to the driver to cope with the given tyres and strike the balance between tyre compound, lap times, and number of pitstops.

I am glad to see different approaches by different teams and drivers.

Back