Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’Italia 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 595 comments
That being said, I'm not sure if I want Gasly back with RBR, because his woes seemed to all be related to the car. The guy clearly has pace. I'm honestly surprised Renault (soon to be Alpine) didn't call him up when they were looking for a new driver.

At RBR Gasly received a lot of negative media attention, pretty much everyone here was saying the same things about him as they are saying about Albon right now.

To me it's just another piece of evidence that as a team, you need to be extremely careful placing a youngster in such a competitive team. Max responded fantastic to it, Kvyat, Gasly, and Albon didn't. I hope today's win makes Horner think twice about how RBR wants to guide and train their young drivers. It's obvious that Gasly was put in the RBR seat too fast, just like Albon was.

There just seems to be a little bit of magic for Italian teams at Monza. Ferrari in 1988, Toro Rosso in 2008, and Alpha Tauri in 2020. And I’m sure there’s been other moments.

Hamilton got a 10s stop-go penalty, and rejoined in 16th (second last, thanks to Giovinazzi also taking a penalty) - 23s off the nearest car in front of him...

... and finished seventh, two places, three points, and 10s behind his team-mate. And got the fastest lap by 1.1s.

At RBR Gasly received a lot of negative media attention, pretty much everyone here was saying the same things about him as they are saying about Albon right now.

To me it's just another piece of evidence that as a team, you need to be extremely careful placing a youngster in such a competitive team. Max responded fantastic to it, Kvyat, Gasly, and Albon didn't. I hope today's win makes Horner think twice about how RBR wants to guide and train their young drivers. It's obvious that Gasly was put in the RBR seat too fast, just like Albon was.
Max also got incredibly lucky in his first RB race that the Mercs crashed out. That was a huge confidence boost, and put all the media positive towards him.

Hamilton got a 10s stop-go penalty, and rejoined in 16th (second last, thanks to Giovinazzi also taking a penalty) - 23s off the nearest car in front of him...

... and finished seventh, two places, three points, and 10s behind his team-mate. And got the fastest lap by 1.1s.
Shows how much sandbagging he was doing in the race before it.

There's something rotten at Red Bull, just switching drivers willy-nilly. There's probably too much pressure, not enough time given. And Max being the senior member, the car is probably suited to his driving style.

Oh, I'm aware. I fully admit I was on the Gasly hate-train last year as well. After Brazil 2019 and today, I also believe RBR needs to re-evaluate how they manage their drivers. Either that, or be open to hiring drivers outside of their camp, because from what I understand their current Jr Drivers in F2/F3 aren't exactly lighting up the track either.

Also, the change in tone/pace of the Italian National Anthem will forever bother me.

A lot of people will never appreciate that because it is Hamilton and he is driving a Mercedes! LOL :lol:

Why does F1 have their post-race with Will Buxton at the same exact time as SkySports? Is their no coordination? I want to watch it all!

I am so proud of Alpha Tauri, the boys from Faenza (and especially Gasly) really did deserve this win.
Also this is a great race, not the usual one when the first 3 drivers are obvious.

I thought they were all the same team but yea Sky is it's own thing. I've got them both up and alternate volume depending on who's more interesting at the time. Grosjean is on F1 so volume go down

For a season that's been rather dull until today, we've actually had 4 different winners in 8 races.

Did any else catch all of Sainz's post-race radio to the team? It sounded like he was saying "What am I doing moving to Ferrari?"

The Red Bull driver program only works if you are Helmut Marko’s golden child. Otherwise it doesn’t. The entire program right now is centred around Verstappen and Kvyat, Gasly, and Albon have been shortchanged because of it. Nice to see Gasly give a big ol middle finger to Marko, get him out of the sport

Last time the AlphaTauri team won? Monza 2008 under Toro Rosso. The driver? Ferrari's Vettel. A little strange there.
tenor.gif

What. A. Race. Unbelievable. If there's anything to take from this, the Italians still managed to get a win. Not from Ferrari, but still a win. Amazing.

Gasly has had a consistently fast pace throughout the season, and this race shows. I think he earned this win. Kudos to Sainz as well, he kept on hounding Gasly and didn't back out. That last lap with him using the DRS was a real nail-biter.

Back