Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’Italia 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 595 comments
2nd Grand Prix. Didn't Vettel also win at Monza in a Toro Rosso?
He did, handily.

He was completely unthreatened for the entire race, and if I recall correctly he drove almost the full distance without pitting only doing it a few laps from the end due to tyre regulations.

I was actually at that race, fantastic seats in Ascari :D

The most important question about Williams. Will this remain unchanged?
williams_1487161c.jpg

Gasly: Obviously this was a bit of a fluke, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He can really shine in a team that acknowledges his existence. He's probably gonna get thrown back in the Red Bull now but I don't think that's gonna help him at all.

Sainz: He gets my driver of the day based on his performance before the red flag, understandably a bit butt-hurt about not winning but doesn't seem to have noticed this is his best result to date.

Stroll: Maybe could've won if he hadn't screwed up the re-start, but these are the kind of races he's made for.

Norris: Not much to say, obviously the McLaren works well here but he was just not as fast as Sainz.

Bottas: Get the 🤬 out of here. Go home. No one wants you around (except Hamilton). You bottled the start, make no ground up, then make up one place after the restart when Hamilton would've won it the same position. Put George in that blasted seat. You should be given Hamilton's title since you've done all the work to give it to him.

Ricciardo: Meh

Hamilton: Looked suitably butt-hurt about the penalty, though his points is unchanged (of course it is). Lack of observation from him and the pit wall got him the penalty, and he climbed back about as well as was expected.

Ocon: Meh

Kyvat: Meh

Perez: Got screwed by the safety car but really should've been faster.

Latifi: Opportunistic but also reasonably fast, best race so far.

Grosjean: Meh, kept it clean at least I guess.

Raikkonen: Very spirited re-start but that car is awful - 2nd to 13th.

Russell: Meh, shame he couldn't capitalise.

Albon: This was painful to watch. I get the car was damage but it looks like he's being treated even worse than Gasly. Won't be long before he's back in the AlphaTauri and we do rinse-and-repeat.

Giovinazzi: I get the car, and the driver, aren't brilliant but he was nowhere and made zero progress after his penalty.

Verstappen: Was not his day, on exactly the day that it should have been if he wants the title this year.

Leclerc: Looked liker driver error but he's probably losing the will to live anyway.

Magnussen: My sincerest thanks to you and your mechanics for giving us this gift.

Vettel: He may as well just walk now. Sainz will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to be put in that monstrosity. Give it to one of the lesser academy drivers like Marcus Armstrong or Guiliano Alesi who aren't fighting for the F2 title and probably won't get another chance in an F1 car.

NEW PLAN: Turn FP3 in to qualifying. Make qualifying t a sprint race, then the top 10 swap round on the grid for Sunday. All five races that happened this weekend knocked it out of the park.

The Red Bull driver program only works if you are Helmut Marko’s golden child. Otherwise it doesn’t. The entire program right now is centred around Verstappen and Kvyat, Gasly, and Albon have been shortchanged because of it. Nice to see Gasly give a big ol middle finger to Marko, get him out of the sport
Not mentioning that the worst consequence was the loss of Riciardo.

The Red Bull driver program only works if you are Helmut Marko’s golden child. Otherwise it doesn’t. The entire program right now is centred around Verstappen and Kvyat, Gasly, and Albon have been shortchanged because of it. Nice to see Gasly give a big ol middle finger to Marko, get him out of the sport

I would like to know why Red Bull make a car that can only really be driven by Max.

But otherwise, about a third of the current F1 grid got their F1 start thanks to Marko/Red Bull driver academy, so evidently they are doing something right - as unpalatable as that may seem.

If they just stuck with the same lineup, like Haas have for 4 years, you would never know which drivers might have been unearthed.

Gasly has been fast in every car he has driven except the Redbull, he was always more talented then Albon you can just look at the performance difference to Kyvat when they were his team mate.

Should move to Racing Point or Renault imo, get out of that cancer program.

Leclerc: Looked liker driver error but he's probably losing the will to live anyway.
I think Charles was wanting to make it a fight for everyone else to take the position & just push the car hard. Fresh tires & a solid position way above where he should be, but just cooked it in doing so.

He did, handily.

He was completely unthreatened for the entire race, and if I recall correctly he drove almost the full distance without pitting only doing it a few laps from the end due to tyre regulations.

I was actually at that race, fantastic seats in Ascari :D

Hadn't he made an inspired brake materials choice compared to other runners, and was that part of his superb performance in torrential conditions? I could be mis-remembering of course.

I would like to know why Red Bull make a car that can only really be driven by Max.

But otherwise, about a third of the current F1 grid got their F1 start thanks to Marko/Red Bull driver academy, so evidently they are doing something right - as unpalatable as that may seem.

Kvyat, Gasly, Albon, all good drivers (who've each had some rocky periods). All perform well until they're in the #2 seat at Red Bull. Makes me think it's the team atmosphere/dynamic that suffocates the #2, not the driver quality. Webber's book is full of stories about how the #2 is treated at RB, it can't all be bollocks.

Just now realized that Albon finished second to last behind the much slower Williams. Not saying that to take a dig at him but he's really going to be on the hot seat now. I want him to do well but there comes a time where he also needs to deliver on track. That being said, I hope they won't do any switch again while the season is still ongoing cause that's just 🤬....wait til the season is over and make the change.

I was literally brought to tears... I think that says it all. I just happened to watch a video on the F1 YouTube channel about the Top 10 Unexpected Winners yesterday. Hmmm. Suppose it was meant to be.

Kvyat, Gasly, Albon, all good drivers (who've each had some rocky periods). All perform well until they're in the #2 seat at Red Bull. Makes me think it's the team atmosphere/dynamic that suffocates the #2, not the driver quality. Webber's book is full of stories about how the #2 is treated at RB, it can't all be bollocks.

I never said it was perfect.

Consider this... you have Merc junior driver George Russell stuck in (what is likely to still be) the worst car on the grid for a third straight year in 2021, while Bottas gets re-signed in the Merc after 3.5 years of not matching Hamilton.

So which is better. A Marko-run RB driver academy where they are willing to promote and demote as they see fit (as harsh as it may seem), or separate driver academies that never take the chance in the first place.

For what it's worth, this was from a verified Reddit AMA with Jaime Alguersuari last year talking about Marko - note that he was rather unceremoniously dumped from STR years ago.

20200907_020022.jpg

There is only one person to thank for today's result and that's the one who gave Hamilton the call to come in.

Lot of tension on the radio between Renault team and Ocon after the checkered flag.
Engineer: "Thank you Esteban, fantastic job there [...] P12 from P8, that's not bad at all"
Ocon: Yeah, copy. I disagree, i think we missed out completely in this race...
Engineer cut him: OK, just hold on on the radio, we'll talk about it in the office
Ocon: No, we have to face...
Engineer cut him again, rising tone: please, do not..
Cyril Abitboul, sounding exasperated, cut them: Esteban, this is not the place.

Not a mention of Gasly in the radio.
I'm glad Gasly got a win *before* Ocon, considering they were training with each others as children.

Back