Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Samus
  • 349 comments
I'm surprised F1 doesn't have rule like IndyCar where bringing out the red flag in qualifying results in losing your 2 best times.

Woke up in time to be sleepy eyed and confused, seeing Vettel in to Q3.

Congrats and... condolences to Leclerc on his pole? Congratolences? Condoluations?

I'm happy and worried about Ferrari's pace, and what that means for McLaren and 3rd in the WCC. Gogogo Norris and Ricciardo!

Weird seeing Hamilton so far down, but it makes the championship more dramatic.

Charles' crash was not on purpose. was it? Too much risk off damaging vital parts with a start from the pit as result.
We'll see tomorrow who starts from P1

Oh look, Ferrari crashing at Monaco on quali to prevent others from setting faster lap times. Where have I seen this before? Hmmmm......

Charles' crash was not on purpose. was it? Too much risk off damaging vital parts with a start from the pit as result.
We'll see tomorrow who starts from P1

Highly doubt it. It looks like he just turned in slightly too early going into the chicane. With Charles' luck in his home race, I won't be surprised if he ends up having gearbox damage.

That was definitely not on purpose.
Exactly my thought. Risk is too high (and don't forget the sportsmanship). Exact same crash as Max had some years ago...
Spicy race tomorrow with this unusual starting grid :)

Last edited:
Looks like he tapped the guardrail on the outside just before turning in. Maybe that got him a tiny bit out of balance, causing him to go in a bit earlier and clipping the inside.

After five rounds, here's everyone average gap to pole:

Verstappen: 0.207
Hamilton: 0.227
Bottas: 0.325
Leclerc: 0.516
Norris: 0.605
Perez: 0.780
Sainz: 0.799
Gasly: 0.814
Ricciardo: 1.070
Ocon: 1.206
Stroll: 1.373
Alonso: 1.421
Vettel: 1.469
Giovinazzi: 1.470
Russell: 1.500
Tsunoda: 1.669
Raikkonen: 1.811
Latifi: 2.187
Schumacher: 2.545
Mazepin: 3.057

You haven't, Michael didn't crash. Nobody is going to crash like that on purpose.

It was way too suspicious. My comment was part humor and part suspicion, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was really intentional, seeing as it's Ferrari who did it.

Also, it's quite interesting how 2 other people commented the same thing in this thread, yet you single me out.

I know Sky like to create drama but Ted interviewing Toto was painful to watch, massively pushing that Charles binned it on purpose and when Toto wouldn't bite pushed it again.

You haven't, Michael didn't crash. Nobody is going to crash like that on purpose.

It was way too suspicious. My comment was part humor and part suspicion, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was really intentional, seeing as it's Ferrari who did it.

Also, it's quite interesting how 2 other people commented the same thing in this thread, yet you single me out.

Also, if you really think no driver would ever crash like that on purpose, you must be new to F1. You'd be amazed at what Piquet Jr. and Senna did in the past.

Also, if you really think no driver would ever crash like that on purpose, you must be new to F1. You'd be amazed at what Piquet Jr. and Senna did in the past.

I don’t think any driver would want to intentionally crash out in front of their home crowd like this.

Last edited:
Headline: Lewis chokes at Monaco. Locking wheels and hitting barriers, half a second behind his teammate.

Wasn't the only one to lock a wheel and mess up a Q3 lap. But missing pole isn't as bad as finishing 7th.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow with this grid!

No I'm not new to F1, those incidents in the past you're talking about were in a totally different context. Senna took an opportunity in the heat of the moment to win the championship and Piquet Jr crashed in a slow speed exit from a corner under instruction from his team, it was still stupid but relatively safe with a clear gain for the team.

But in qualifying, when heavy damage could quite easily incur penalties or even more. There was no way for Charles to control or know the damage in that crash, no way would he or Ferrari risk it. Not like that, at one of the fastest corners on the circuit. If you're going to crash on purpose at Monaco, you'd do it at a slow speed corner and knock your front wing off.

WARNING strong language. Although Dutchies swear a lot like this ;)

This was when Max got the message for the red flag and he was on purple in S1 and being on a flying lap

:scared::D

I'm not going to bother embedding it here as it's probably going to be blocked anyway, but Monaco 2018 - FP3: Max makes exactly the same error, turns in a fraction too early and end ups exactly the same way as Charles did earlier; in the barrier, a cronched front-right and all sorts of possible damage to the mechanicals.

Yes, it's not the dying seconds of Q3 when the provisional pole sitter happens to red-flag the session due to said smash, but...

There was no way for Charles to control or know the damage in that crash, no way would he or Ferrari risk it. Not like that, at one of the fastest corners on the circuit. If you're going to crash on purpose at Monaco, you'd do it at a slow speed corner and knock your front wing off.

Rascasse + Anthony Noghes were a few seconds up the road, and arguably much better places to snag a wheel or lose the rear... regardless, any perceived abnormalities in throttle/steering inputs beyond a certain extent that cause an incident (such as the one Michael tried to get away with) would result in Charles getting slapped down anyway.

Yes, because risking a 5 place grid penalty by wrecking the car makes total sense when they are quite easily able be in the top 4 on merit.

Good job reading the part where I mentioned him crashing.

Fantastic quali session. What is it about Monaco? Every year I think it'll be predictable but every year it ends up being riveting in spite of its reputation. Gasly outqualifying Hamilton and Alfa Romeo through to Q3! Ferrari's engine is obviously much better this year if Alfa can manage a performance like that. Re Leclerc's crash at the end a friend of mine was convinced it was on purpose but, as has been said, is damaging the car and risking a grid penalty worth it when he would have started P2 if Max had beaten him? Bring on the race tomorrow!

Fantastic quali session. What is it about Monaco?

Easy answer: people push hardest at the end of the last Quali, but any incident effectively closes the track. Monaco is all about the bankers.

Looking at LeClerc's accident it seems he actually caught the rear first, that settles it for me: accidental. If he'd planned to crunch the front corner (a risk worth taking for Monaco pole?) then he'd have done just that.

Gonna be an interesting race. Sainz has had really good pace all through the weekend so I fancy him for the race. Can't help but think Leclercs Monaco curse has yet to materialise.

Max will be so focussed on trying to hunt Leclerc into 1, he'll lose out to Sainz and Bottas will get hung out and drop 2 or 3 places, I fancy Bottas to be behind Hamilton within 2 laps.

Elsewhere, the 2 Haas cars will come together, Alonso won't make it through the first lap, Vettel will remind us how good he can be and finish top 5.

Prediction:
1. Sainz
2. Verstappen
3. Norris
4. Hamilton
5. Vettel

DNFs
Schumacher
Mazepin
Alonso
Raikkonen
Leclerc
Bottas

Gonna be an interesting race.

Well, it would be on another track. Maybe we need to just qualify on the streets and then move to another track for the race. :P

Jokes aside I'm not expecting much, like most dry Monaco races it's going to be decided in the pit strategy and not crashing. Probably going to have some midfield runners pitting onto the hards early to try and jump some ahead who go onto the mediums later, barring a SC in the first 1/3 of the race in which case everyone will just go to hards and a procession for the rest of the race.

Bound to be at least one clumsy/desperate overtake attempt though, there usually is.

Last edited:
Back