Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 325 comments
My understanding from the other commentators is that Checo looked to have known KMag was there by looking in his right mirror & still did not make any attempt to move left thereby acknowledging KMag was either going to crash or back out. I'm not excusing what he did & by all means, Crofty & Brundle still seemed surprised throughout that it was basically chalked up as a Turn 1, Lap 1 incident, just sharing that the other commentator reported that Checo knew KMag was there regardless & the stewards may have taken that into account.
Interesting. Even if Checo moved to give him more space, there's a kink along that straight which would have left Mag exactly where he was in the lead-up to T2 where he would have had precisely zero chance of overtaking anyway.

It was something that wouldn't have resulted in anything productive even if there wasn't a violent crash. I don't know what Kevin has been on lately but he needs to get off of it. Not even Maldonado was that much of a muppet (from what I can remember anyway) and he crashed out during a public test showing.

Kept the hat on & everything.

Who was the other guy that jumped in?
He pushed Fred Vasseur before joining in.

Edit: Oh, there's a 3rd guy I didn't see. Maybe Arthur?

Also I hope these Richard Mille are waterproof!

Last edited:

Leclerc curse would have it that he'd get injured by an Orca after jumping in.

Not the best race, even by Monaco's standards, but Charles LeClerc's reaction to winning the race was a real highlight.

To see how much a Monaco GP wins to a driver who has never achieved that before is still a very special moment in the sport... and for a 'local boy', it is all the more special. Well done Charles and Ferrari!

Glad to see everyone was OK after the massive shunt at the start too.

Guy in the white pants, not Arthur. Guessing some random fan.
who.jpg

Edit*
Ted shared some news on the Alpine front that might go with some speculation that was briefly talked about from Crofty & Brundle as well about sitting Ocon in Canada.
“Famin said that a decision will be made, Ocon put a tweet out saying ‘that’s absolutely my fault’, but the team aren’t letting us even try to talk to Bruno Famin about what this direct consequence will be for Esteban Ocon.”

“I will say that I saw Famin on the roof of the Alpine pit building, he called Jack Doohan, the reserve driver, over for a chat. They had a chat. I don’t know what the chat was about. And then Jack Doohan left and went down the stairs.

“Now, I know that’s not exactly Woodward and Bernstein and Watergate, but it’s all I’ve got.”

Last edited:
I only stayed up to watch Charles win.

The thing that really killed this race was the stupid red flag rule where you're allowed to change tyres. You SHOULD NOT be able to change tyres during a red flag. Monaco is boring enough as it is and not enforcing pit stops makes it even worse. I know that every track should be different and have it's own set of challenges, but the "race" we saw just wasn't good enough. Apart from the lap 1 shenanigans, it was rubbish. I wish we could get rid of it but that's not going to happen so we'll move on to the next race.

I only stayed up to watch Charles win.

The thing that really killed this race was the stupid red flag rule where you're allowed to change tyres. You SHOULD NOT be able to change tyres during a red flag. Monaco is boring enough as it is and not enforcing pit stops makes it even worse. I know that every track should be different and have it's own set of challenges, but the "race" we saw just wasn't good enough. Apart from the lap 1 shenanigans, it was rubbish. I wish we could get rid of it but that's not going to happen so we'll move on to the next race.
The problem with not being allowed to change tyres under red flag conditions is that anyone who has had to drive through all the debris would have to restart with tyres covered in carbon fibre shards, which just leads to more problems on the restart. You could mandate that if they change tyres the replacement set have to be of the same compound, which would've helped yesterday.

Edit: in which case another mandate would be needed, that each team has to choose a minimum of 2 sets of each compound out of a driver's 13 sets for the weekend, as if they've only chosen 1 set and it's full of carbon fibre splinters they wouldn't be able to put another set on. If not that, alternatively if you change to a different compound on a red flag restart you have to take the restart from the pitlane.

Last edited:
The way to fix this Red Flag rule (and make Safety Cars for safety, not strategy) is to change the wording to something along the lines of "Drivers must change compounds of tyres at least once during Green Flag conditions during the race". This would force everyone to have to make a green flag pitstop, and any positions gained during a Safety Car stop aren't useless, but you still need to pit again. I still think we need to bring back the Pitlane closed rule for full Safety Cars. It was stupid in the days of refuelling, but as it only exists for tyre changes, there is no reason to leave it open as the first two laps of a Safety Car are too much of a mess and not safe for marshals trying to clear the track due to drivers still driving close to flat-out to avoid being overtaken by pitstoppers.

I have zero understanding of how K-Mag wasn't penalized and subsequently hit with a race ban for that bull:censored: maneuver.

Checo may have had the entire width of the Earth to his left and there still wouldn't have been any reason for this moron to continue pushing up into a spot where he had no space. He took himself, Perez and Hulkenberg out for being a jackass.
A big reason might be that a move and crash like this happened recently, only KMag was the car in front that time. Drove exactly like Perez and HE was the one penalized. Since they don't like penalizing lap 1 turn 1 incidents Perez gets lucky. KMag had a huge jump (which he shouldn't have had because pit lane start) and with it being near impossible to pass here he decided a risky move since he was catching Perez so quickly. Was it risky? Yes, but Perez knowing he was there eases KMag's blame..

Just watched the race highlights, and got a wee bit of emotion rushing inside as I listened to the last-lap commentary, especially since I didn’t know that he lied to his dying father in 2017, and that he could barely see out of his own tears in the closing laps of this race. I know it’s probably just for emotional arousal, but it still indicates how much it means to Leclerc and the people around him, so huge congrats to him for taking victory. :cheers:

If only the pipe dream becomes reality and he & Ferrari can take the fight to Verstappen…

The way to fix this Red Flag rule (and make Safety Cars for safety, not strategy) is to change the wording to something along the lines of "Drivers must change compounds of tyres at least once during Green Flag conditions during the race". This would force everyone to have to make a green flag pitstop, and any positions gained during a Safety Car stop aren't useless, but you still need to pit again. I still think we need to bring back the Pitlane closed rule for full Safety Cars. It was stupid in the days of refuelling, but as it only exists for tyre changes, there is no reason to leave it open as the first two laps of a Safety Car are too much of a mess and not safe for marshals trying to clear the track due to drivers still driving close to flat-out to avoid being overtaken by pitstoppers.
Or mandate every compound needs to run at least 1 racing lap.

Back