Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2011

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
2011Canada.jpg

Formula1.Com Interactive Circuit Guide

2011Canada02.jpg

We're at the Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve which is named, of course, for the charismatic and super-talented father of Jacques Villeneuve.

This track always provides plenty of excitement as its combination of long straights, pif-paf chicanes and the infamous Wall of Champions mean that an overall lap here is hard on tyres, brakes and brains. It's given us some astonishing F1 moments including Kubica's spectacular crash, Sato's Super Aguri passing Alonso and any number of F1 Champions burying themselves in the wall on the exit of the final turn.

The massive tyre-wear in 2010 caused some scintillating strategic action from the teams and ultimately caused F1 to commission tyres from Pirelli that would do the same thing for every single 2011 race... and we haven't been disappointed.

DRS Zones

This will be the first race to feature two zones in which drivers can activate their Drag Reduction System. There will be a single detection zone (immediately after the Turn 10 hairpin), drivers will be able to use their DRS on that straight and on the Start/Finish straight.

Weather Forecast

MontrealWeatherForecast2011.jpg

Current WDC Standings

F1DC_2011_Standings.php

Last edited:
Canada is always a great race and with the Pirellis and 2 DRS zones, this one should be a cracker.

Definitely! I'm wondering if we'll see people saying that there was DRS overkill at this race, we'll just have to wait and see... if the tyres are wearing heavily we could see a lot of cars on differing strategies scrabbling to get around each other!

It's not the Tuesday before race day. Not even in Australia.

And your format is just plain wrong.

Sorry, I couldn't find any rules or guides... and I don't understand the Australian connection?

I checked through previous OPs and the earliest was posted on a Monday before race - by you in fact.

Sorry to have upset you. Again.

I remember a while ago we had a "prelude to war" here about GP threads with people making a "race" to open them and Famine (or was it daan) setting up a rule about Tuesday of race-week being the first day when a GP thread would be allowed to remain open.

The Australia remark is because (I think) interludes lives there so he is about half a day ahead (regarding european time zones).

Anyway, and considering how the Monaco GP thread evolved AFTER the race, I think it would be wiser to set an expiration date to GP threads, and not worry so much about GP-thread opening. Geeez ... :D

I remember a while ago we had a "prelude to war" here about GP threads with people making a "race" to open them and Famine (or was it daan) setting up a rule about Tuesday of race-week being the first day when a GP thread would be allowed to remain open.

Thanks for pointing that out! I see now why Interludes got a mard on.

This from 2009;

Daan
All I would suggest is that the thread is created the Tuesday before the race and includes a track map, previous results and some interesting, pertinent information.

I'd missed that suggestion so now I guess I'll sit and wait for a lock or a wipe.

Sorry :(

Carry on. The main issue that we will not let happen is the thread being created earlier and earlier just so that some person can get imaginary kudos by creating the F1 thread every race.

Any latest on Perez? I'm hoping the McLaren's will be strong here, I wouldn't even mind the Ferrari's outpacing the Red Bulls.

Be interesting to see how DRS works with the double, back to back activations.

It's not the Tuesday before race day. Not even in Australia.
1. Keep each race to a single thread. This will keep things organized, and on topic. It will also prevent unnecessary new threads and possibly answer your questions. Do not begin a new race thread until the Monday before the event. If it's not related to any particular race, go ahead with a new topic.

And your format is just plain wrong.
I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's different but not bad.;)

Any latest on Perez?

The latest that I heard of is that he's already out of hospital and getting better and better every day. He should be ready to race this weekend but he's yet to undergo an FIA medical test which will ascertain if he is ready to return to the cockpit..

Same thing goes to Petrov, he only suffered bruises on his leg after the incident in Monaco and getting better. He promised will be back racing in Canada.

Perez has to pass a mandatory medical at the circuit before he's cleared to take part... it should just be formality. He's young and strong - I'm not sure I'd be getting back in an F1 car so soon* :D

*Presuming that I'd fit...

I like the fact that we have a fast, open circuit like Montreal after the tight turns of Monaco. Provides for some contrast and good theater. Bold predictions: Vettel on pole, Hamilton the win.

I don't think everything will be normal at Montreal this weekend, it will be a standout because of some mad circumstance.;)

Hamilton pole to win in the same manner as last year. As in pole and then rode his luck and then won.:)

Haha. Not allowed anymore.:(
I think it will be pole, 5th at one point but still win. So anyways, 8 stops this Sunday?

I sincerely hope for a win by anyone but Vettel. Not because I dislike him ( I honestly don't) but because another win would probably mean that the championship already is decided. Obviously I would prefer this to be the big turning point in the season for Ferrari with Alonso winning comfortably...

And in unrelated news, Kobayashi gets signed to a five year deal with Red Bull Racing... :lol:

Canadian Grand Prix-my home track 👍

I just hope Montreal delivers an exciting race (as always), and too hope anyone but Vettel just to keep the championship a battle! :)

A Vettel DNF would open the championship up a little! In fairness to Red Bull that's unlikely to happen if Vettel avoids contact - it's a long time since I've seen a driver look so at one with the car for lap after lap.

I think you'd have to go back to the days of Hakkinen and Michael Wossisname to see drivers of such relaxed dominance. That's an opinion of course! Hamilton, Alonso, Button, Raikkonen - to my eye they always seemed to be fighting corner after corner :D

Anyway, and considering how the Monaco GP thread evolved AFTER the race, I think it would be wiser to set an expiration date to GP threads, and not worry so much about GP-thread opening. Geeez ... :D

I disagree. There could still be valuable things to discuss. If you closed the race threads, then no doubt the main motorsport forum would see a rise in new threads created. Either that or the next race thread would turn into a war before the Wednesday.

Perez has to pass a mandatory medical at the circuit before he's cleared to take part... it should just be formality. He's young and strong - I'm not sure I'd be getting back in an F1 car so soon* :D

*Presuming that I'd fit...

I would.

Including pushing his out-of-fuel car to Parc Ferme in Q3? :D

He didn't. He pushed it a little then was picked up by the safety car. I still think he should have taken a grid penalty for that, but at least we have clarity in the rules now.

Obviously I would prefer this to be the big turning point in the season for Ferrari with Alonso winning comfortably...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I like the way you've went from stubbornly loyal and full of optimism to tail between your legs with a little hope.

And in unrelated news, Kobayashi gets signed to a five year deal with Red Bull Racing... :lol:

Damn. I ACTUALLY went to the autosport website there. The "five year deal" was a bit of a giveaway, but in my excitement, I skimmed and read "Kobayashi, signed and Red Bull". Damn you... 👎

A Vettel DNF would open the championship up a little! In fairness to Red Bull that's unlikely to happen if Vettel avoids contact - it's a long time since I've seen a driver look so at one with the car for lap after lap.

I think you'd have to go back to the days of Hakkinen and Michael Wossisname to see drivers of such relaxed dominance. That's an opinion of course! Hamilton, Alonso, Button, Raikkonen - to my eye they always seemed to be fighting corner after corner :D

I agree mostly, but you are wrong with two examples. Hakkinen almost threw it away in 99 after a close battle in 98. It was never relaxed between Hakkinen and Schumi. Had it not been for Schumacher's accident, he would've won the Championship in 99 easily.

Also, have you forgotten how dominant Button was at the start of 2009? Then he went through a period of "what's happened to the car?" followed by some poor performances and then damage limitations? Every week for a few months, journalists were speculating that he was going to throw it away. I like the guy, but for 7 races, he was on supreme form that we've only seen glimpses of since.

Paul Di Resta is the driver picking his favourites for the BBC this week - no footage of Nurburgring '68 so they're showing Gilles Villeneuve's fantastic battle for second with Arnoux at the '79 French GP.

[Link - May be UK only]

Last edited:
I like the way you've went from stubbornly loyal and full of optimism to tail between your legs with a little hope.

Well, I am not stupid. Everyone can see that this year's Ferrari is even worse than last year's and not even a driver of Alonso's capabilities can win comfortably in such an inferior car. It's not too late for improvement though and if they can claw back just a little bit of the advantage RB and McLaren currently have I am certain we will see Alonso in the top spot at least once this year.

One thing I will never have though is the tail between my legs. 👎

Damn. I ACTUALLY went to the autosport website there. The "five year deal" was a bit of a giveaway, but in my excitement, I skimmed and read "Kobayashi, signed and Red Bull". Damn you... 👎

Apologies. But when Anghammarad said Alonso to win, I thought we were in the F1 Fantasy thread, by mistake. :lol:

-----

Yeah, this season's pretty much done for Ferrari. They started off below where they were last season and just can't seem to get it done in terms of upgrades... though Alonso's experience and great driving are keeping them in the hunt for points.

McLaren have it better, at least so long as Hamilton isn't shooting himself in the foot...

Two DRS Zones for Montreal... it's going to be mad. Always a great track and I look forward to it.

Back