Formula 1 Grosser Preis von Osterreich 2017Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 255 comments
Mercedes have confirmed that Hamilton's gearbox problem has nothing to do with Baku.

And lets put our hands together for Damon Hill's suggestion of constructors' points penalties to replacs grid penalties - something Mark Webber suggested two days ago.
Something Tiff Needell has been calling for for years.

This makes far more sense too, considering the WCC has always been more of the "team" aspect of the sport's championship. So I think it would be fair, but probably cumbersome to archive all the little penalties a driver gets based on his teams issues. And considering a driver has to deal with other issues outside his control on race day that can ruin his race and points outcome, why does penalties prior to the race have to harm the driver the driver that are technical in nature.

When a driver like Max has a shot at podium and then has another power unit issue, isn't that punishment enough for example. If said power unit has to be replaced that should only harm the team in the WCC standings, not set up a future penalty for the driver. Similar with Lewis and the headrest, he lost a race that was quite a punishment. Now after losing a race that was most likely his, he has to start further down the grid in the next race due to a technical issue out of his hands. Races give enough chance for a team's mistakes or just poor luck to ruin a drivers results and yes by extension the teams, but the one group in control of ensuring things don't go wrong is the team not the driver.

@prisonermonkeys

If you follow Formel 1, as I think you do, you should know, that the red and white curbs in turn three, all the drivers are going over those in that corner, that's normal. On Kevin's car, It was a assembly failure to his rear suspension, that actually broke. He didn't hid the yellow sausage curbs. So therefor, It was not Kevin's fault, just bad luck.

And It is looking, not perfect, but not bad tomorrow. His car is quick, and his pace are the same as Grosjean, so he should be up in top ten later in the race tomorrow:)👍

Agreed. Kevin has been unlucky with penalties and failures, at some point it has to fall his way again. If he can survive lap 1 unscathed it should be an exciting race. One of the guys in the booth mentioned that the Haas did not appear easy to drive, fingers crossed they can bring both cars home in the points.

Assembly failure...I imagine something working loose as it vibrated over the curbing. Better that than a structural issue.

It made Hamilton look bad, not Valsecchi.

I like Valsecchi. He seems a really nice guy, and his commentary is so enthusiastic and energetic. He reminds me, dare I say it, of a modern day Murray Walker.
oops. I meant embarrasing for interviewer. With one word missing I unintentionally judged about Valsecchi. That's against my nature. I should have read before posting :)

Yeah, Sergio, I hope what they explained to Ocon is that you screwed the team over at Canada and that you're now being a colossal hypocrite. :lol:
Get over it. For whatever handful of points that Perez cost the team in Canada by *gasp* racing for his position, Ocon idiotically squeezing Perez into the wall at Baku was far far far more costly for the team.

Get over it. For whatever handful of points that Perez cost the team in Canada by *gasp* racing for his position, Ocon idiotically squeezing Perez into the wall at Baku was far far far more costly for the team.

As if that's somehow relevant to the point being made. And if we're going throw the word "idiotically" around then I'll refer you to Sergio's attempt at brute forcing his way past Kvyat at Monaco at a place where it had no business being attempted.

As if that's somehow relevant to the point being made. And if we're going throw the word "idiotically" around then I'll refer you to Sergio's attempt at brute forcing his way past Kvyat at Monaco at a place where it had no business being attempted.
I don't care what point you're trying to make with your tired crusade against Perez, just let it go. Sergio's transgression was relatively minor and innocuous, and yet you keep piling on in seemingly every post you make in these F1 race threads, even after Sergio very much got the short end two weeks later.

And yes, the Mexican's move on Kvyat in Monaco was also idiotic (but, again, far less costly for Force India than Ocon's Azerbaijani revenge). Don't know how that's relevant to the Perez-Ocon saga though.

Last edited:
Interesting track, but I don't see how it makes for a good race, like most f1 tracks the straights are too short for proper overtaking and additionally though the corners are quite tricky - which on the other hand could make it more interesting. Predict a procession though, qualifying was extra ordinarily boring, I don't even know who's on p1, 2, 3...

Hoping for a good result for Mclaren however

Only Sky would ask Bottas if it's a good strategy for him to back Vettel up for the title picture.
Could be worse. Last year, Andrew Benson from the BBC suggested that Hamilton could consider taking Rosberg out of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix if it meant winning the title. He was very careful to phrase it in such a way that he never actually said "Hamilton should take Rosberg out", it's hard to interpret these parts any differently:

something drastic needs to happen to derail the German
What about a crash? Yeah, that might do it, if done right.

But Hamilton wouldn't do that, would he?
Although such action by both [Hamilton and Rosberg] is highly unlikely, pressure does funny things to the mind
As for Bottas he has already said that he won't back Vettel up.

Last edited:
Interesting track, but I don't see how it makes for a good race, like most f1 tracks the straights are too short for proper overtaking and additionally though the corners are quite tricky - which on the other hand could make it more interesting. Predict a procession though, qualifying was extra ordinarily boring, I don't even know who's on p1, 2, 3...

Hoping for a good result for Mclaren however

This is the fickle description that I meant on the last gp thread when people discussed how drama is highly lacking in F1. Now the Redbull Ring is potentially a boring racing...did you not watch the race from last year? Which is arguably more dramatic than Baku this year.

If you don't know the grid, not sure what to tell you KMags broken down car made for an anti-climatic ending

This is the fickle description that I meant on the last gp thread when people discussed how drama is highly lacking in F1. Now the Redbull Ring is potentially a boring racing...did you not watch the race from last year? Which is arguably more dramatic than Baku this year.

If you don't know the grid, not sure what to tell you KMags broken down car made for an anti-climatic ending
yeah no, baku was 2007 European gp levels of dramatic as the twists kept coming.

yeah no, baku was 2007 European gp levels of dramatic as the twists kept coming.

Uh okay, that's your view on it, as I said it is arguably as dramatic as Baku was. Had plenty of action, a controversial collision, somewhat surprising podium and was long talked about. So point being, there is a potential for race to be produced that are good or great. Since it has more than once.

Interesting track, but I don't see how it makes for a good race
There's no relationship between circuit layout at the quality of the racing. Valencia was phenomenally unpopular, but the 2012 European Grand Prix was an outstanding race. On the other hand, Silverstone is a fan favourite, but it has produced dull racing in the past.

There's no relationship between circuit layout at the quality of the racing. Valencia was phenomenally unpopular, but the 2012 European Grand Prix was an outstanding race. On the other hand, Silverstone is a fan favourite, but it has produced dull racing in the past.
Valencia was dull without DRS and high deg tyres.

No, it's not guaranteed, but a good or exciting race is more likely on certain tracks than others. Like I said in the other thread something like Surfer's Paradise is more likely to produce exciting races than most f1 tracks (and yeah, I know they won't race that track, it's just an example).

I just found the qualifying so boring, I don't see how it's not a procession other than Hamilton who is behind with a fast car.

But yeah, last year Baku was a snooze fest, so idk what's the perfect formula either. It could be that this year's specifications just work better on a track like Baku.

And yeah, Silverstone is (was?) a great track too, except (f1) races are usually very boring there.

Anyway I think tracks need long straights and tight corners as it gives slower cars more chances to catch up with draft, as seen in Baku this year.

Just my opinion, I hope for a good race today, not holding my breath though...

I just found the qualifying so boring, I don't see how it's not a procession other than Hamilton who is behind with a fast car.
Because you can actually get behind the other cars and set moves up a few corners in advance. You can pressure other drivers into a mistake, particularly in the last sector.

I don't think these drivers let themselves pressure into errors anymore - especially because they know overtaking is difficult with this year's specifications, so what if the car behind is faster - it has to be much, much faster to make it work...

We'll see. This race seems like a good opportunity to test my "theory" though.

The only place with long straights and slow corners that guarantees you a dull race is Monza

You can see the rain arriving on the weather radar...should be there in about 2-3 hours...lets hope for it,but not a major storm where they delay the race etc...

Hoping for a crazy dry/wet/dry/wet race today!

:D

Spy.

You can see the rain arriving on the weather radar...should be there in about 2-3 hours...lets hope for it,but not a major storm where they delay the race etc...

Hoping for a crazy dry/wet/dry/wet race today!

:D

Spy.
See the raindance is working!

The Red Bull Ring is nowhere near Salzburg. Try Graz, Spielberg or Zeltweg.
I take "geography" for 500 please. :P

(Tbf my weather app says the same thing for Spielberg though)

BBC Sport F1's current live page banner needs to show up in @Touring Mars's F1 caption competition thread for this race...

ladieslovedanscannon.jpg

:eek:

Back