Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 349 comments
As long as it's real grass and not that fake stuff they can get grip on. There have to be consequences for drivers making mistakes. A drive through for first offence would be a start.
Trust me, the fake grass doesn't have much grip.

Saw this on Reddit, somebody has overlaid every racing line taken by Mazepin in his entire F1 career. Quite incredible.

mazpin.png

Same problem as described above... how can it be considered being 'off the track' when the track limits were defined differently at that turn i.e. that the white lines didn't apply as defining track limits at turn 4?

Didn't watch the video but the answer is that the directive they issued only said they weren't monitoring track limits in regards to setting a lap time. They never said they weren't monitoring them at all and that you could overtake off the track as well.

(During the race) the track limits at the exit of turn four will not be monitored with regard to setting a lap time, as the defining limits are the artificial grass and the gravel trap in that location

It seems their (foolish) intent was that if people accidentally went a little bit wide then they wouldn't get their lap times deleted like they did in P&Q, but the general rules of track limits still applied for other reasons.

Last edited:
Someone on Reddit has had a great dive into terrible Grand Prix debuts, and managed to put Mazepin at the bottom of that pile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on Reddit has had a great dive into terrible Grand Prix debuts, and managed to put Mazepin at the bottom of that pile.

The key takeaway from that really seems to be that the other drivers mentioned either had bad luck, an unreliable car or little experience in open wheel cars.

Mazepin has none of those excuses. Or any excuse in general.

You know I feel sorry for people when stuff like this happens. It happens to us all. Its so easy to armchair critique but ultimately its hard driving those cars!

There is quite a bit of difference between having one mess up and repeatedly committing the same mistake. It doesn’t help when you make yourself very hard to like off the track.

Everyone makes mistakes, when it happens regularly though it becomes a problem.

You know I feel sorry for people when stuff like this happens. It happens to us all. Its so easy to armchair critique but ultimately its hard driving those cars!

It is but lots of people ignorant to F1 think "I could do that". Mazepin is proving that not anybody can be plonked in a racecar and not drive it successfully, but to drive it competently.

It is but lots of people ignorant to F1 think "I could do that". Mazepin is proving that not anybody can be plonked in a racecar and not drive it successfully, but to drive it competently.
Well, that's just motorsports in general really. Unless you've actually experienced the g-forces and mechanical feedback that high speed driving produces it's hard for someone to really understand what makes it so difficult to do on a regular basis, especially when you have so many other factors out of your control to think of at the same time.

Back