Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 339 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The winter break is nearly over, Pre-Season Shakedown and testing has happened and the brand new cars have had a lot of acclaim for their looks and potential for running close Ron track. There are plenty of changes, with the 18-inch wheels, wheel covers and curved wings being some of the more striking changes. The pecking order is not really known at the moment, so the Sakhir circuit will be the first real test to find it! Since the switch to a night race, this circuit has produced some of the best overtaking opportunities on the calendar, hopefully with these closer cars this trend will continue. We'll have to find out at the BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX!

image (1).png

Bahrain International Circuit
First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.412km

Race Distance
308.238 km

Lap Record
1:31.447
Pedro de la Rosa (2005)​

Welcome to 2022. I think Mercedes were sandbagging massively at the Bahrain test. I still see a gap between Merc/Red Bull and the rest. I think Ferrari and McLaren are going to be clear of Aston Martin & Alpine.

I hate the wheel covers.

I hope that Verstappen isn't such an insufferably smug bellend now that he has a championship under his belt, but based on the lead image on the BBC Sport website I see he still has an eminently punchable face. Still hoping that Toto Wolff can drive Christian Horner to actual tears on live TV this year.

Let's hope it's a good season with as little interference from the race stewards as possible.

I hate the wheel covers.
I don't necessarily hate them, but they've been the hardest thing to adjust to on the new cars, personally. I do like though, that no one has tried what Ferrari did long, long ago when they put "BBS wheels" on their covers (I think Brawn did it as well?).

Who knows, though. Maybe they'll slowly change over the season or something will allow the teams to switch 'em up next season.

I'm missing that good build up to a weekend feeling, there's a distinct lack of anticipation for me, and there really should be with the new regs... Im gonna watch the race, and hope I get enticed again. Last year really was a turd in the punch bowl, not sure how much RB BS I can listen to again this year, they're already at it pre season making F1 about as cerebral as WWE... There really is enough fake news and propaganda flying about already...

You guys need to focus less on the faux drama that the drama queens like to throw at each other. Tune in just before the race starts, tune out after podium ceremonies. Also, Drive to survive. Don't. Really doesn't help the enjoyment of watching the racing.

We've had a season packed with everything, from questionable driving and decisions to wheel to wheel action for P1. And yet, it's Wolff this, Horner that. Oh and Masi Durr.

What are the odds that we get that FIA report before Sunday? :lol:

I think I’m just gonna watch the highlights this year. I can’t be bothered with waking up early for sports anymore.

If pre-season testing is anything to go by (quite often it isn't) the McLaren and Williams cars look unlikely to finish, and the Mercedes seem to be the poorest handling cars on the track.

Pretty much my F1 experience these days. I've even stopped watching Brundle's gridwalk because of the "celebrities" he's forced to pretend to want to interview.
The only post race show I watched in 2021 was the final one because well, emotions. I just really don't care what a bunch of 'experts' have to say anymore and especially the Dutch guys. The host always made everything seem much bigger than it was, Doornbos was sort of down to Earth but had to mention his brilliant F1 career at least 3 times per weekend, both of the Coronels aren't worth watching at all and the opinion of a famous person who's a guest zal me helemaal aan m'n reet roesten.* Translate where available.

As a minor side note.

I have F1 TV working. The website is hopelessly outdated with their only payment option being credit card, but in the Android app you get all the options you need. Shame I missed out on the discount for the year but alas, €64,99 for a year is half of what VIAPlay are charging.

Ah, F1 season. My favorite time of the year. I can't wait to see the new cars in action, Mick and Kevin try to murder one another, Lewis and George try to murder one another, and Ferrari do Ferrari things.

And Vettel. Looking like Mansell. :lol:

I don't necessarily hate them, but they've been the hardest thing to adjust to on the new cars, personally. I do like though, that no one has tried what Ferrari did long, long ago when they put "BBS wheels" on their covers (I think Brawn did it as well?).
Ah yes, the fake wheels that don't move while the car is moving

1647365393260.png

And Brawn did indeed do the same, but at least the color actually set it apart and made it work better visually to me:
1647365518100.png

Interesting part is around this time, I think the wheel covers were optional and as per usual in F1 when it comes to something that seems like it works, they in themselves became abit of a development race. Can't remember the article that mentioned this, but it was an interesting read on that.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the fake wheels that don't move while the car is moving

Interesting part is around this time, I think the wheel covers were optional and as per usual in F1 when it comes to something that seems like it works, they in themselves became abit of a development race. Can't remember the article that mentioned this, but it was an interesting read on that.
When I was looking them up to make sure I remembered what they looked like on Ferrari, I came upon an article also stating they were instantly banned the following year.

Last edited:
Hungary 2009, when the cover wasn't put down in time by the wheel gun guy at Renault which caused Alonso's wheel to fall off while he was leading ended up being the catalyst that got those wheel covers banned.

This time, the wheel covers are part of the rim(ish) instead of being two separate components, so this should be avoided.

I too am surprised that no one apart from Alfa Romeo has painted them (wish Alpha Tauri had continued with the white wheels), and McLaren's idea of LED lights have some good applications, but we've not seen anything of them so far.

This time, the wheel covers are part of the rim(ish) instead of being two separate components, so this should be avoided.

I too am surprised that no one apart from Alfa Romeo has painted them (wish Alpha Tauri had continued with the white wheels), and McLaren's idea of LED lights have some good applications, but we've not seen anything of them so far.

McLaren has graphics on theirs.

Minorly anticipating this year. I only watch F1 for the non-racing components...but I'd like that to change. Without an "issue", I rarely find any interest in F1 "racing" (use that term lightly). More interested in the tech competition, the drama, the politicking, the manuevering with purchases of drivers, etc. The races always almost put me to sleep.

I hope the new cars provide some more interest. I'm looking forward to hitting the mute button every time "Crofty" opens his insufferable mouth. I can't stand that clown.

Would love to be surprised and see actual close racing this year, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Mercedes producing a dog of a car just as George Russell joins the team will be the most George Russell thing that's ever happened.
Just wait until we're congratulating Williams and Albon/Latifi for winning the 2022 WCC/WDC in 8 months.

You’re all going to look like fools when Haas takes the wcc
Hence why I'm trying to keep out of discussions about predicting champions before we've seen anything remotely competitive from these cars :lol:

Hence why I'm trying to keep out of discussions about predicting champions before we've seen anything remotely competitive from these cars :lol:
Ferrari seem to be working well but other than that I really have no clue.

Biggest excitement for me this season is all about how the cars will perform at each of the tracks under the new regulations, how fast the team will be developing the car and see who has really nailed the new regs from the get go....with that I hope to see a few different winners this season and fingers-crossed, at least a 4-way battle for the championship both Drivers and Constructors. I have a bit of bias against Red Bull this season so even if I don't want them to win, they can be part of the 4-way battle that I'm wishing for because it would still be very interesting.

The good news is that the FIA has rewritten the safety car rules to now read "all" instead of "any", even though "any" encompasses "all" in every other section of the various Codes. Which confirms that as well as acting against the letter of the rules, Masi acted against the spirit of them.

As a balance, the rules on driver attire during podium celebrations and post-race interviews have been tightened up to require drivers to remain in their race suits fastened up to at least the neck. Can't imagine who that's aimed at or why...

The good news is that the FIA has rewritten the safety car rules to now read "all" instead of "any", even though "any" encompasses "all" in every other section of the various Codes. Which confirms that as well as acting against the letter of the rules, Masi acted against the spirit of them.

As a balance, the rules on driver attire during podium celebrations and post-race interviews have been tightened up to require drivers to remain in their race suits fastened up to at least the neck. Can't imagine who that's aimed at or why...
Ricky Bobby Sony GIF by Talladega Nights

Probably this guy when he catches on fire.

Yeh, I think some will still argue the change confirms "any" is not "all", resounding in their echo chambers of ignorance, despite the logic that this is clarification not a change of intention.

It would be nice if there was an official statement that the result stands but mistakes were made - otherwise Masi is just moved for undisclosed reasons? He might have chosen to switch to get out of the heat?

It should shut down comments that the removal was too harsh as long as people can comprehend the actions were as you say, against the letter, intention and spirit of the rules.

Latest Posts

Back