Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 339 comments
Wouldn’t the logical move be to change the rule so a race can’t end on a Safety Car?
Enough fuel saving is done under the safety car to mean an extra lap of green flag racing could be added on if needs be. 🤔

Wouldn’t the logical move be to change the rule so a race can’t end on a Safety Car?
This should go the other way, in my view. Series have tied themselves up in knots about ending the race under the safety car. And in any series where refuelling is not permitted, this has led to a worsening of outcomes. If the race can start under the safety car, it can certainly finish under it.
Yeh, I think some will still argue the change confirms "any" is not "all", resounding in their echo chambers of ignorance, despite the logic that this is clarification not a change of intention.

It would be nice if there was an official statement that the result stands but mistakes were made - otherwise Masi is just moved for undisclosed reasons? He might have chosen to switch to get out of the heat?

It should shut down comments that the removal was too harsh as long as people can comprehend the actions were as you say, against the letter, intention and spirit of the rules.
Something like "Having reviewed in detail the circumstances surrounding the end of the 2021 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, we have concluded that a number of circumstances contributed to an outcome that led the sport's fans to question the way the sport is governed. While it would be inappropriate to reinterpret those circumstances or the resulting outcome at this stage, we have made the following changes as part of a wide-reaching 'lessons learned' exercise encompassing not just the 2021 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix but other events also."

Such openness and pragmatism doesn't really feature in FIA ops though, unfortunately.

Yeh, I think some will still argue the change confirms "any" is not "all", resounding in their echo chambers of ignorance, despite the logic that this is clarification not a change of intention.

It would be nice if there was an official statement that the result stands but mistakes were made - otherwise Masi is just moved for undisclosed reasons? He might have chosen to switch to get out of the heat?

It should shut down comments that the removal was too harsh as long as people can comprehend the actions were as you say, against the letter, intention and spirit of the rules.
It's the FIA closing off the get-out-of-jail-free-card excuse they used for Masi's actions which allowed the Abu Dhabi results to stand and the protest to be thrown out.

F1 Twitter (ie, only the Max/Red Bull buttlickers (being specific as to avoid unfairly painting all Max and Red Bull fans under the taint)) being salty that Masi was removed for that one decision are missing the point completely. Michael had the unenviable task of replacing Charlie Whiting after he died in the week before a race, and tried to do the same job and responsibilities, which it turns out few people are up to.

There were plenty of reasons to get rid of Masi before Abu Dhabi even happened. The changes to allowing teams to communicate with the Race Director have come far too late, and the sooner they bin off allowing anyone in the Paddock to talk to the Stewards the better. However, Masi's handling of some behind-the-scenes stuff has been poor and I don't wish to disclose the specifics that have affected me, but Eduardo Frietas coming in as race director has made people.i know who've worked with him very happy.

As a balance, the rules on driver attire during podium celebrations and post-race interviews have been tightened up to require drivers to remain in their race suits fastened up to at least the neck.
Got to max out those sponsor minutes somehow.

I know all the years of Merc sandbagging and the memes make it hard to believe that they might actually struggle this season, or even this race, but from all the videos and analysis I've seen I can't help but think they might not be that great after all. You have Red Bull being quite fast, Ferrari having a competitive and relatively reliable time, but Mercedes can't merely sandbag and pretend to be slow when they are visibly struggling with the current package. Time will tell, after all.

Otherwise I think Haas might get an early jump on the midfield but taper off as the development race picks up. I also am very excited to see what happens with Mick and KMag. This will be the kind of test to see if Schumacher is the real deal, given that he generally made light work of a very average at best teammate.

That said, Alonso will win, comfortably.

I don't see any reason why Mercedes couldn't be slower this go-round...though by the end of this season we'll see the natural order probably back in place with all the teams learning from each other, etc. I genuinely hope we see some huge upsets or bizarre failures from the better teams.

Isn't this like the third time Hulk has subbed for someone on that team?

Last edited:
Perez, Stroll and now Vettel.
It's almost a tradition at that team that you will have to get COVID and let Nico Hulkenberg drive your car for a race.

No Vettel this weekend:

Why does it feel like the photography crew told Hulk "Hey, give us your best Daniel Craig impression?"

Of course, get well soon, Seb! Given the timing of Danny Ric's and Sebs positive results, it seems like Danny might've had Covid during the drivers No War photoshoot? If so, that's gonna be concerning for the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Why does it feel like the photography crew told Hulk "Hey, give us your best Daniel Craig impression?"

Of course, get well soon, Seb! Given the timing of Danny Ric's and Sebs positive results, it seems like Danny might've had Covid during the drivers No War photoshoot? If so, that's gonna be concerning for the next couple weeks.
If Bond gets COVID, he's planning to sub in for that too. I'm guessing he will then need a replacement for that race.

In case there was any doubt, it's officially race week!

And with it, comes one of the most fun traditions of the last couple years: seeing what outfits Lewis arrives in.

I was gonna say that wearing a snow jacket in Bahrain has got to be the most uncomfortable thing ever, but having just checked it's actually warmer here in Ohio than it is there right now.

So... umm...

1647604558526.png

... what the hell?

It's real, by the way:

Back