Formula 1 Honda Japanese Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments
That couldn't have been a worse position for Max to be in, going slow & losing the rear just on the other side of 130R.

Any other team would have got rid of him a long time ago. It just makes me wonder how much money he actually brings with him, probably more than what Maldonado brought at this point. It’s definitely worth more than scoring the odd point with a better driver and still finishing last in the WCC.
Maldonado is well known for the crashing, but it's easy to forget that most of those were from him trying to basically run qualifying laps all race. He was fast on his day and did even get a very legitimate win. Latifi has never shown that kind of blatant raw speed. He seems a nice enough guy and serious racer, just not fast enough.

Reprimand for Verstappen, keeps Pole.
Didn't expect anything else, to be honest. Wasn't a quali lap, and seemed a genuine mistake with them both wanting the same spot. It would've been unjust to have received a grid penalty, and I'm really not a Max fan.

Didn't expect anything else, to be honest. Wasn't a quali lap, and seemed a genuine mistake with them both wanting the same spot. It would've been unjust to have received a grid penalty, and I'm really not a Max fan.
Ruined NORs lap though, having to start it with wet grassy tyres. Should that carry the same penalty as ruining the lap whilst you're on it? Debatable.

Here are the updated qualifying averages:

Leclerc +0.083
Verstappen +0.186
Sainz +0.257
Perez +0.589
Russell +0.937
Hamilton +1.079
Norris +1.082
Alonso +1.295
Ocon +1.363
Bottas +1.586
Gasly +1.658
Ricciardo +1.683
Tsunoda +1.763
Magnussen +1.863
Zhou +2.052
Vettel +2.060
Schumacher +2.061
Albon +2.196
Stroll +2.244
Latifi +2.890

Ruined NORs lap though, having to start it with wet grassy tyres. Should that carry the same penalty as ruining the lap whilst you're on it? Debatable.
Looking at the decision document Norris himself seemed quite forgiving about the incident:
The driver of car 4 stated that this was simply an unfortunate incident however it is the driver’s responsibility to at all times maintain control of their car.

F1 needs to have a one lap shoot out style quali or impose a max number of cars on track at anyone point.
We always see a car impeding another at times just due to the location of where they tend to meet or of its a track like monaco you just get boned due to the lack of space.

F1 needs to have a one lap shoot out style quali or impose a max number of cars on track at anyone point.
We always see a car impeding another at times just due to the location of where they tend to meet or of its a track like monaco you just get boned due to the lack of space.
Then the cars going out the latest will always have the advantage because of the track evolution.

Then the cars going out the latest will always have the advantage because of the track evolution.
Make it random of who goes out.
No one will know who goes out first or last.
Reverse grid type start wont work as we will get people messing around in Q2, but then again, will they risk being knocked out of Q3 just to run last in Q3?

Thats not sport. The system as it is now is fine, they just need to finally get a handle on slow out laps/dawdling. They've tried a few things, none have truly worked.
I still remember the comical spectial of Q3 of Monza 2019.
Yes, it was also due to the slipstream being powerful, but having multiple cars on track at any one point will cause traffic issues.

Not always. Once every couple of races or so (maybe multiple times in one specific weekend), and that's it. There's really no need to change to a worse format just to eliminate this minor issue. It's like eliminating standing starts and replacing them with rolling starts, just because the former tends to lead to crashes every now and then.

I honestly didn't mind the old "You've got 12 laps in total, go and set the fastest time" but the Q3 system does have its advantages. I think the first proper gimmicky qualifying was 2005's aggregate time. That absolutely did not work.

Reprimand for Verstappen, keeps Pole.
Surprise no surprise... just looking forward to the title being locked in so we don't have to hear 'Champion Elect' phrase anymore.
I still remember the comical spectial of Q3 of Monza 2019.
Yes, it was also due to the slipstream being powerful, but having multiple cars on track at any one point will cause traffic issues.
Indycar and Formula e have systems that initially split the field into groups that are easier to manage and the track conditions change doesn't matter as much if the times aren't compared but it's a knockout.

Indycar uses and separate timing line near the end of the lap so they can dive straight into the pits without needing to do a whole lap to get back to the pits. It's awesome.

The Monza style situation just looks intensely idiotic to me, I really wish the FIA could try to come up with something sensible that would prevent that type of thing... but even on less extreme situation Fl cars doing pedestrian speed warm up laps irks me... it just looks dumb - maybe if they had more durable, or more consistent tyres, then they warm up wouldn't be so critical.

I honestly didn't mind the old "You've got 12 laps in total, go and set the fastest time" but the Q3 system does have its advantages. I think the first proper gimmicky qualifying was 2005's aggregate time. That absolutely did not work.
Yeah the Q1/2/3 system solved the major issue with that system, most people waiting until the last 10 minutes to actually go out in normal circumstances. Or everyone going out early, rain coming, and the rest of the session being useless. The split quali made sure everyone was going out throughout the session and rain wouldn't ruin the whole session with the resets.

It really is just about perfect in terms of rules, it's just as per usual the teams all do the thing they moan about and nothing changes.

FIA could try and introduce a much stricter minimum outlap time, say 110%, but the teams would all moan and block it because they want to go slower. Always the way.

Thats not sport. The system as it is now is fine, they just need to finally get a handle on slow out laps/dawdling. They've tried a few things, none have truly worked.
I think, if there is this so called 'gentleman's agreement' in place, then turn it into regulation. There should still be a minimum time (which should be quicker than it is) and you're not allowed to pass in the final sector of the lap where cars are prepping to go.

One thing that may start to eliminate super slow outlaps is the tyre blankets, 50C from next season with a view of getting rid of them completely from 2024. They'll need to go a little harder to get the temps up.

Just extend qualifying to give every car a more empty field to go out on. Make sure they are getting each cars best lap.

Just extend qualifying to give every car a more empty field to go out on. Make sure they are getting each cars best lap.
Wouldn't work. They all want to be the last car over the line for the optimal track conditions, it could be 3 hours long for Q3 and you'll still have 10 cars on the same piece of tarmac in the last 30 seconds.

Wouldn't work. They all want to be the last car over the line for the optimal track conditions, it could be 3 hours long for Q3 and you'll still have 10 cars on the same piece of tarmac in the last 30 seconds.
Then maybe you could give the cars that went first another lap?

Then maybe you could give the cars that went first another lap?
Because then you would be creating even more issues with people trying to be those cars? And where do you draw the line with who gets another lap? Just write the gentlemans agreements into the regs for S3 of the lap. Have a stricter minimum lap time and ban cars from passing in the final sector of the lap.

Anyway, it looks like we're probably going to have rain delays for the second race in a row. Forecasts for the race are now very likely heavy rain with thunderstorm warnings issued throughout the late morning and early afternoon.

Oh, and it's only predicted to get worse. If they can't start on time and at least do the now required 5 green laps, we may get no race at all.

Last edited:
The race start time is at midnight for me. So if there are any delays, I might just watch it in the morning.

The race start time is at midnight for me. So if there are any delays, I might just watch it in the morning.
Think there weather will be slightly dizzly at the start so the race start will be delayed as the FIA says the drivers cant do wet starts.

Think there weather will be slightly dizzly at the start so the race start will be delayed as the FIA says the drivers cant do wet starts.
Wet races at Suzuka? No thanks. I still remember the disastrous time they ran when a typhoon was hitting Honshu.

Meanwhile we’ve got Supercars racing in the Bathurst mud pit.

Back