Formula 1 Ooredoo Qatar Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 333 comments
Losail and Bahrain are ideal candidates for enforcing track limits the old fashioned way. Get rid of the tarmac run-off and there's no need for any barriers as there's no spectator spaces away from the main stands. Just track, curbing then desert sand. Want to exceed track limits? Good luck digging yourself out.

A step in the right direction but the rulebook considers the white lines the edge of the track, not the curbs. Make up your god damn minds already 😂

Last edited:
From looking at some of the actions during FP2....it would seem that it will be difficult to overtake at that track. There's that straight for DRS overtakes but I have a feeling with the hot temps the cars won't be able to follow for long so qualy might become key to this race!

The track also doesn't seem to favor anyone in particular right now. Looks to be very balanced. Let's see how the rest of the weekend unfolds.

A step in the right direction but the rulebook considers the white lines the edge of the track, not the curbs. Make up your god damn minds already 😂
So I guess that effectively means that you can use the kerbs fully during normal driving, but you can't overtake while fully on the kerbs?

Is there something Horner and Red Bull haven't protest against the Mercedes? At this point it just seems like what's left is for them to protest the validity of Mercedes as a team in F1. Meanwhile they keep "fixing" their own wing and blame it on reliability as if that didn't look fishy.......I've never felt soo annoyed and irritated by a team before 😒

For many years I thought the same thing and of course it is in the rule books in this way. But then there are the FIA directives in F1 which are stating that curbs are fully part of the track. And then there are directives for each weekend for some curbs which are then not part of the track and more like the standard rulebook white line defines the track. This topic is very complicated and not all directives are published on the FIA website and only available trackside.

Last edited:
Is there something Horner and Red Bull haven't protest against the Mercedes? At this point it just seems like what's left is for them to protest the validity of Mercedes as a team in F1. Meanwhile they keep "fixing" their own wing and blame it on reliability as if that didn't look fishy.......I've never felt soo annoyed and irritated by a team before 😒
Didn't Mercedes do the same with the flex RBR wing in Baku and RBR had to fix it?

Both teams have full eyes on the competition.

Didn't Mercedes do the same with the flex RBR wing in Baku and RBR had to fix it?

I get that the competition is fierce and it is well within their rights to protest when something looks odd and I'm ok with it but RB seem to be leading the charge on this stuff....it could also be just my perceptions but they just seem to be always be protesting something and it's generally against the Mercedes. I don't recall them protesting that much when they use to dominate F1 back in the days 🤔

Last edited:

Red Bull's wing passed the static test for flexing, but it was flexing when in motion so the FIA revised the test to include that and then RB failed the test, and was given (I think) two GPs to correct it.

Aside from the 0.2mm gap error on their DRS, Mercedes has not failed any wing tests yet Red Bull keeps warning that they'll report them for who knows what.

Reporting your opponent for something and said opponent fails the tests administered by the FIA is one thing. Spuriously reporting your opponent hoping something will stick (or just threatening to do it) is another.

Love at first sight. Leading by example also for us the community 😁

FEoIW66XEAU1EA6

How is that flappity flappy wing legal? Is that the issue that they've "fixing" on the last couple of races as well as this practice session? It seems dodgy as hell.

Very confusing (for my brains) that passing the white lines with four wheels is allowed as long as two wheels stay on the kerbs. Why not paint extra a white line on the outside of the kerbs as well?

This weekend this is ok:

1637409526869.png

Last edited:
How is that flappity flappy wing legal? Is that the issue that they've "fixing" on the last couple of races as well as this practice session? It seems dodgy as hell.
According to the technical regs it's not allowed. They state that the movable part can only move when activated directly by the driver, so unless the drivers are tapping morse code on the DRS button the wing shouldn't be moving at all when opened.

According to the technical regs it's not allowed. They state that the movable part can only move when activated directly by the driver, so unless the drivers are tapping morse code on the DRS button the wing shouldn't be moving at all when opened.
So if it starts happening during qualifying session or during the race, would his car get disqualified? If so does it happen during via black flag or after the session?

So if only the middle part of a rear wing flexes at high speed and the down forces kick in because of using softer, less stiff material that is also not allowed?

Also seeing the slo-mo replays of the RedBulls: this has to be fixed.
Did we also see slo mo replays of other teams rear wings?

In FP3, Red Bull garage coverage at the end looked like wing was failing the test and they were using glue to fix it. They seem to think they will fix it for qualifying. It would be funny if they get disqualified for rear wing after badmouthing Mercedes at every opportunity. I wonder if we will see a rise of drivers doing a Verstappen. Could see some T-bones and penalties in this race and future races if driver on the outside does not play ball with driver about to be overtaken missing braking points to keep position on the inside.

In FP3, Red Bull garage coverage at the end looked like wing was failing the test and they were using glue to fix it. They seem to think they will fix it for qualifying. It would be funny if they get disqualified for rear wing after badmouthing Mercedes at every opportunity. I wonder if we will see a rise of drivers doing a Verstappen. Could see some T-bones and penalties in this race and future races if driver on the outside does not play ball with driver about to be overtaken missing braking points to keep position on the inside.
I normally don't wish for bad things to happen to a driver or team but I'd be lying if I'd say I wouldn't be over the moon if Max's car got disqualified. It's just the injustice of it all that I hate. They can't get away with so much crap, it's infuriating.

Just so you're aware, it doesn't.

The rulebook says that "for the avoidance of doubt", the white lines are considered the edge of the track. That means that only where there is no specific guidance otherwise, in order to save on any confusion as to where the track limits are, the white lines are the edge of the track.

In reality, there is specific guidance just about everywhere, and it's different even at the same track for different series. The drivers and teams are fully briefed on this in the briefing well before a wheel turns on track - although it may change during the weekend and the stewards will issue new directives if it does.

Back