Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 512 comments
It would be awesome if F1 could use. Bop like GT3 racing to close the pack up.

Either with ballast or boost pressure.

If you're winning a race by 30 seconds to the nearest rival team, then lets add 40kg of ballast.

Etc, etc. Knowing how sensitive F1 cars are to weight i think it would make it very easy to help balance things.
As much as I don't like the dominance in modern F1, BoP would be counter to the F1 ideals of open formula unless it was a race by race thing like how it was implemented in Super GT(which was an open formula series in the V8 era).

I still think the answer has to come from the regulations, Im not a big fan of these engine regulations and 2022 is a step in the right direction but I'm still convinced that an N/A approach is better for F1 with Hybrids to get more parity and make the package smaller so teams have more Freedom to design.

Since I often whinge about how predictable F1 has become, I've dumped some money on the most predictable result, Lewis getting the title. I'm not about to watch the races to see if my bet comes off mind... but I doubt anyone would be as confident doing the same thing with NASCAR, DTM or BTCC champ in 2020.

As much as I don't like the dominance in modern F1, BoP would be counter to the F1 ideals of open formula unless it was a race by race thing like how it was implemented in Super GT(which was an open formula series in the V8 era).

I still think the answer has to come from the regulations, Im not a big fan of these engine regulations and 2022 is a step in the right direction but I'm still convinced that an N/A approach is better for F1 with Hybrids to get more parity and make the package smaller so teams have more Freedom to design.

I mean race by race like in wec for example.

The current formula isnt great and 2022 can't come soon enough

I mean race by race like in wec for example.

The current formula isnt great and 2022 can't come soon enough
I don't think Power restriction could work and be fair though only weight ballast, teams are already on the edge when it comes to cooling, you start putting intake restrictors and engines will just explode. It would be very controversial though to implement.

I agree with the notion that looking backwards is silly because it was generally worse. Its easy to look back with Rose tinted glasses and say how good it was and the cars sounded amazing etc. But the one thing watching classic race reruns on the F1 channel reminded me of is how utterly rubbish most of it was. Occasionally there was an exciting race but more often than not the top 2 teams lapped the field.

The current cars are excellent, especially since 2017 when they really upped the pace and lapntimes started falling, which is what everyone wanted after all. Does dominance get boring? Yeah it does, I would say Mercedes only really dominated '14, '15, '16 and so far '20. Which is on a par with other dominant periods in the sport, yes in the seasons where they didnt dominate, they still won the titles, but thats as much down to Ferrari screwing up as it is Mercedes being the best.

I think the racing we've seen over the last 4/5 years has been consistently some of the best I've seen, I've watched F1 since 1997 and viewed all seasons since 1988. Its personal opinion of course but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It should only get better in 2022 but at the same time we cant expect Mercedes to just go backwards.

#DefundTheFashionPolice

116704727_3582370848510884_6637558506037542027_o.jpg

#DefundTheFashionPolice

116704727_3582370848510884_6637558506037542027_o.jpg

A clear sign that extraordinary driving talent and money don't come with any sort of taste in clothing :) Of course, I'm an old fart, don't even try to understand why people are willing to put on such hideous outfits or even pay for it :)

A clear sign that extraordinary driving talent and money don't come with any sort of taste in clothing :) Of course, I'm an old fart, don't even try to understand why people are willing to put on such hideous outfits or even pay for it :)

I agree. Not my cup of anything

Of course, I'm an old fart, don't even try to understand why people are willing to put on such hideous outfits or even pay for it

He's probably mates with the designer and doesn't pay for anything, just provides exposure.

Sergio Perez had to miss all media briefings today because of an "inconclusive COVID test". He's having a re-test to see if he can give a negative reading by tomorrow, or the team will have to run with a reserve driver on Friday - likely Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez.

He's probably mates with the designer and doesn't pay for anything, just provides exposure.
Likely so. Those jeans are from Heron Preston & are currently on a Pre-Order status due for release in October.

Not that Lewis couldn't afford them, anyway; the price is choke-inducing, so careful before Googling them.

A more organic form of BOP would be reversed grids. Rather than gimping cars that over-perform, just make them have to work harder to get through the pack by basing the starting grid on the championship positions of the driver. Essentially every race would be like Verstappen’s 2018 Monaco drive or Vettel’s 2012 Brazilian. And unlike artificial BOP, the cars are still able to perform at 100% their capability. It’s a win-win for everyone except those who just happen to really like qualifying.

Senna took the lead into Turn 1, got passed later around the lap and Piquet had something like a 3-second lead by the time he got to the hairpin. The top cars all streaked off into the distance, and the only thing keeping the race and the championship "interesting" was unrealibility.

The ability for drivers to turn up the turbo boost pressure was also a factor; Piquet was fond of that on starts, as he did it at Osterrichring in 1987 (which worked great until half the field shunted into each other). Of course, the drivers also had a picky fuel limit, so they couldn't run it all day long.

Boost pressure was limited to 4.0 bar in 1987, and further reduced to 2.5 in 1988. Most race lap records were broken in 1987, though qualifying times were down a bit. I don't think a single lap record fell in 1988, because most engines made like 150-200hp less, or they'd jumped to the 3.0L NA engines. While there was a push to rid the turbos around mid-1986 for '89 as per the Concorde Agreement, there was also the matter of re-designing the front "axle" centerline of the cars for 1988.

All-new chassis designs required that the pedals may not extend past the centerline when pushed down, to protect their feet. But the caveat was that if you kept the '87 design, you could get around those rules. So Ferrari ran their F187/88 model, Arrows ran their old car, and so did Zakspeed. (Osella famously debuted a "new" car to the wrong old specs, but renaming their engine meant it had to be treated as an all-new engine and got disqualified...So Osella!) Back in those days, it wasn't unusual for teams to introduce their all-new car after a few races, or just modify their old car to newer specs, and fly it down to Brazil for the first race.

Teams couldn't couldn't use an old car around a new engine, so that's a big reason that McLaren was so dominant in 1988. Literally nobody else was competing with a new car and also had a 100 horsepower on the rest of the field (save Ferrari).

Last edited:
The ability for drivers to turn up the turbo boost pressure was also a factor; Piquet was fond of that on starts, as he did it at Osterrichring in 1987 (which worked great until half the field shunted into each other). Of course, the drivers also had a picky fuel limit, so they couldn't run it all day long.

Boost pressure was limited to 4.0 bar in 1987, and further reduced to 2.5 in 1988. Most race lap records were broken in 1987, though qualifying times were down a bit. I don't think a single lap record fell in 1988, because most engines made like 150-200hp less, or they'd jumped to the 3.0L NA engines. While there was a push to rid the turbos around mid-1986 for '89 as per the Concorde Agreement, there was also the matter of re-designing the front "axle" centerline of the cars for 1988.

All-new chassis designs required that the pedals may not extend past the centerline when pushed down, to protect their feet. But the caveat was that if you kept the '87 design, you could get around those rules. So Ferrari ran their F187/88 model, Arrows ran their old car, and so did Zakspeed. (Osella famously debuted a "new" car to the wrong old specs, but renaming their engine meant it had to be treated as an all-new engine and got disqualified...So Osella!) Back in those days, it wasn't unusual for teams to introduce their all-new car after a few races, or just modify their old car to newer specs, and fly it down to Brazil for the first race.

Teams couldn't couldn't use an old car around a new engine, so that's a big reason that McLaren was so dominant in 1988. Literally nobody else was competing with a new car and also had a 100 horsepower on the rest of the field (save Ferrari).
Another part of it was Honda were the only ones to actually develop a new engine for that season. All the other turbos were just the 87 engines with boost limiters, whilst Honda designed their engine specifically to operate at its peak at 2.5bar.
And the atmos engines weren’t THAT far behind, either. Mansell was able to beat every other turbo car save for Senna’s McLaren at Silverstone that year, back when Silverstone was a very horsepower-dominant track. And even then, Nige was chasing Senna down. I think the Bennetton and March chassis were quite fast that weekend as well.

The FIA by accident stumbled upon gold in 1988, with the pace parity between the turbo and N/A cars. Had for the 1989 regs they limited the turbos to 2 bar, I can guarantee the turbo and atmos cars would’ve been equal in pace and the grids would’ve been that much more exciting.

Id rather have Vandoorn in there than Gutierrez.

Agree, and I think Vandoorn in that pink Merc would be very competitive combination.

Edit: Reading the Autosport comments, people seem to think it's a done deal for Gutierrez as Vandoorn may have a FE conflict.

Would rather see Hulk make a return, think he would genuinely be the closest in pace to Perez (considering he matched Ricciardo last year).
He has no other obligations and has spent the least time departed from the seat of an F1 car.

But I know it won’t happen.

Latest Posts

Back