Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 512 comments
Perez should be out of both Silverstone rounds with all the self-isolation times, so Gutierrez makes sense as the 70th Anniversary race clashes with the Formula E rounds which Vandoorne is a title contender in.

That said, the Racing Point is a podium contender in F1, surely that would be too tempting to avoid.

If Perez is out of Sunday's race then surely that might mean he is out of next Sunday's race also?

If Perez is out of Sunday's race then surely that might mean he is out of next Sunday's race also?
Was wondering this too, as well as how the exact timing of this test may impact the next next race too, since he would technically not be able to travel until a Thursday, correct?

Si, si, Yo soy Esteban:
902224b7268ed42a84cfc5efc6c737e9.jpg

Hulk would be great for the seat but if I were Merc I’d almost want to try and shoehorn Russell into that car to see what he can do in a proper racecar. Doubt Claire would let him go though

Hulk would be great for the seat but if I were Merc I’d almost want to try and shoehorn Russell into that car to see what he can do in a proper racecar. Doubt Claire would let him go though

I doubt Russell would get that shot. It would be nice.

If i was Vandoorn and if there is an FE obligation id drop that **** so fast for a shot at F1 again.

I doubt Russell would get that shot. It would be nice.
Both Russell and Latifi are pretty much locked into Williams for the next two years, from what I've read. Someone would have to throw a dump truck or two full of money at Claire to get her to let them go.

If i was Vandoorn and if there is an FE obligation id drop that **** so fast for a shot at F1 again.
I dunno, winning a championship seems like it would be more valuable to his long term career prospects than being a fill-in driver for a couple weekends.

I dunno, winning a championship seems like it would be more valuable to his long term career prospects than being a fill-in driver for a couple weekends.

As an F1 driver I wouldn't think twice to drive in a real car for 2 races rather than obtain an E-sports title that doesn't really mean all that much...

Autosport are reporting the Hulks in line to replace Perez, pending c19 tests etc.
Imagine if he won in it.

Imagine if he just gets his long awaited podium, let alone a win. A podium for hulk would basically be a win.

Aren't the F1 drivers supposed to be living in their own bubble?

Based on what they and the F2 and F3 drivers have been sharing on Instagram , most of them are not being particularly diligent with social distancing.

I’m worried about the whole paddock being exposed now that Perez has it. He was saying he felt dizzy and ill after qualifying in Hungary. That should have been a red flag right there, if I were to say that where I work, then I would be sent home right away.

I really like Perez, he is an excellent driver. Hope he gets well soon.

I hear Gut is in running for that seat. I really hope The Hulk gets it though, that would be a no brainer if I was the team boss.

edit: there is a spanish article saying he was recently in Guadalajara, Mexico. Not sure if true.

link

Last edited:
Quote from insideracing.com

"Racing Point does have an agreement in place with Mercedes to use their reserve drivers should the need to replace their usual race drivers emerge.

However, Stoffel Vandoorne is unavailable as he prepares for six Formula E races in just nine days to round out that championship in Berlin.

And it is understood team owner Lawrence Stroll preferred the experience of Hulkenberg over Esteban Gutierrez, who hasn't competed in F1 since leaving Haas at the end of 2016.

Nico himself has tested negative for Covid-19 and is having a seat fitting at Racing Point's Silverstone factory to be ready ahead of practice on Friday."

I reckon Hulk should get it. Knows the team, engine etc. Vandoorne is in Berlin and won't want to give that up and I'm fairly sure I read Gutierrez doesn't hold a superlicense any more, so unless he can get 300km in an F1 car test session between now and 9am.

How about Russell? Stick Aitken in the Williams.

Gut should have no problem getting another super license. My problem with him though is that he’s been anonymous throughout his F1 career.

No way Williams will give up Russell.

Last edited:
Gut should have no problem getting another super license. My problem with him though is that he’s been anonymous throughout his F1 career.

No way Williams will give up Russell.

Shouldn't have a problem? Mans got no chance unless he does an overnight stint somewhere with a floodlit racetrack.

Another part of it was Honda were the only ones to actually develop a new engine for that season. All the other turbos were just the 87 engines with boost limiters, whilst Honda designed their engine specifically to operate at its peak at 2.5bar.
And the atmos engines weren’t THAT far behind, either. Mansell was able to beat every other turbo car save for Senna’s McLaren at Silverstone that year, back when Silverstone was a very horsepower-dominant track. And even then, Nige was chasing Senna down. I think the Bennetton and March chassis were quite fast that weekend as well.

The FIA by accident stumbled upon gold in 1988, with the pace parity between the turbo and N/A cars. Had for the 1989 regs they limited the turbos to 2 bar, I can guarantee the turbo and atmos cars would’ve been equal in pace and the grids would’ve been that much more exciting.

I recall the NA cars could run at 500 kg weight, and the turbos at 540; though McLaren probably did their best to add weight to get it to that limit. I recall hearing that Tyrrell had to add a smidgen of ballast to get to the 500, and had to do it carefully after their lead shot pranks a few years back!

If they'd set it at 2.0 bar, they'd probably been even closer. Even then, the racing for the 3-4-5 placed were usually pretty good, and most races didn't have tire stops. Goodyear had tires designed for cars that made so much more power that only the abrasive tracks like Paul Ricard and Jacarepagua required pit stops.

Was wondering this too, as well as how the exact timing of this test may impact the next next race too, since he would technically not be able to travel until a Thursday, correct?

I'm assuming the FIA will run similar to the NBA in this scenario, where a positive test requires minimum 1 week quarantine & then test negative twice within' (I think), a 48-72 hour window to be cleared.

I'm assuming the FIA will run similar to the NBA in this scenario, where a positive test requires minimum 1 week quarantine & then test negative twice within' (I think), a 48-72 hour window to be cleared.

It'll likely be based on the standard advice for the country, in this case for us in the UK, a positive test now requires 10 day isolation. Therefore he'll miss the 2nd GP.

Edit. Reports say Hulkenberg has been seen at Silverstone. Wouldn't be allowed in without a negative test, and The Race is reporting he has the seat. Awaiting official confirmation.

Last edited:
Hulk has been cleared regarding corona tests. Now it’s just a wait for the official confirmation from force India. Really hope he can get that missing podium...

Back