Formula 1 Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2020

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Jimlaad43, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

Perez should be out of both Silverstone rounds with all the self-isolation times, so Gutierrez makes sense as the 70th Anniversary race clashes with the Formula E rounds which Vandoorne is a title contender in.

That said, the Racing Point is a podium contender in F1, surely that would be too tempting to avoid.

2. MUSC4EVER

MUSC4EVER

If Perez is out of Sunday's race then surely that might mean he is out of next Sunday's race also?

KinLM likes this.
  3. KinLM

KinLM

Was wondering this too, as well as how the exact timing of this test may impact the next next race too, since he would technically not be able to travel until a Thursday, correct?

4. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Si, si, Yo soy Esteban:
    [​IMG]

McLaren, ThePotatoKing and KinLM like this.
  5. FutureF1

FutureF1

Hulk would be great for the seat but if I were Merc I’d almost want to try and shoehorn Russell into that car to see what he can do in a proper racecar. Doubt Claire would let him go though

6. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

I doubt Russell would get that shot. It would be nice.

If i was Vandoorn and if there is an FE obligation id drop that **** so fast for a shot at F1 again.

7. andrea

andrea

Recuperate pronto hermano.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Frank McGank

Frank McGank

Well damn. I was going off the info from a few hours ago, didn’t know they tested him again and he scored positive

9. EngieDiesel

EngieDiesel

Both Russell and Latifi are pretty much locked into Williams for the next two years, from what I've read. Someone would have to throw a dump truck or two full of money at Claire to get her to let them go.

I dunno, winning a championship seems like it would be more valuable to his long term career prospects than being a fill-in driver for a couple weekends.

10. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

As an F1 driver I wouldn't think twice to drive in a real car for 2 races rather than obtain an E-sports title that doesn't really mean all that much...

11. numbnuts70

numbnuts70

Autosport are reporting the Hulks in line to replace Perez, pending c19 tests etc.
    Imagine if he won in it.

12. Ether

Ether

Imagine if he just gets his long awaited podium, let alone a win. A podium for hulk would basically be a win.

13. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Aren't the F1 drivers supposed to be living in their own bubble?

14. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

This sounds more like as an F1 fan who thinks FE is meaningless. Good job keeping your opinion out of the equation :)

FutureF1 and Jimlaad43 like this.
  15. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Based on what they and the F2 and F3 drivers have been sharing on Instagram , most of them are not being particularly diligent with social distancing.

16. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

I’m worried about the whole paddock being exposed now that Perez has it. He was saying he felt dizzy and ill after qualifying in Hungary. That should have been a red flag right there, if I were to say that where I work, then I would be sent home right away.

I really like Perez, he is an excellent driver. Hope he gets well soon.

I hear Gut is in running for that seat. I really hope The Hulk gets it though, that would be a no brainer if I was the team boss.

edit: there is a spanish article saying he was recently in Guadalajara, Mexico. Not sure if true.

link

17. numbnuts70

numbnuts70

Quote from insideracing.com

"Racing Point does have an agreement in place with Mercedes to use their reserve drivers should the need to replace their usual race drivers emerge.

However, Stoffel Vandoorne is unavailable as he prepares for six Formula E races in just nine days to round out that championship in Berlin.

And it is understood team owner Lawrence Stroll preferred the experience of Hulkenberg over Esteban Gutierrez, who hasn't competed in F1 since leaving Haas at the end of 2016.

Nico himself has tested negative for Covid-19 and is having a seat fitting at Racing Point's Silverstone factory to be ready ahead of practice on Friday."

ThePotatoKing and MikeV27 like this.
  18. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

I reckon Hulk should get it. Knows the team, engine etc. Vandoorne is in Berlin and won't want to give that up and I'm fairly sure I read Gutierrez doesn't hold a superlicense any more, so unless he can get 300km in an F1 car test session between now and 9am.

How about Russell? Stick Aitken in the Williams.

19. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Gut should have no problem getting another super license. My problem with him though is that he’s been anonymous throughout his F1 career.

No way Williams will give up Russell.

20. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

That would be one for the record books!

21. UnkaD

UnkaD

Hulkenberg getting the seat and something happening to the two Mercs allowing him a win would be so good. I can dream.

SlowGrayAudi likes this.
  22. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Shouldn't have a problem? Mans got no chance unless he does an overnight stint somewhere with a floodlit racetrack.

23. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

Ohh God i hope that happens.

Hulkenburg deserves a shot in a good car.

PeterJB, UnkaD and DesertPenguin like this.
  24. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

I recall the NA cars could run at 500 kg weight, and the turbos at 540; though McLaren probably did their best to add weight to get it to that limit. I recall hearing that Tyrrell had to add a smidgen of ballast to get to the 500, and had to do it carefully after their lead shot pranks a few years back!

If they'd set it at 2.0 bar, they'd probably been even closer. Even then, the racing for the 3-4-5 placed were usually pretty good, and most races didn't have tire stops. Goodyear had tires designed for cars that made so much more power that only the abrasive tracks like Paul Ricard and Jacarepagua required pit stops.

25. LordExia

LordExia

I hope Hulk gets the sit for those 2 grand prix and hopefully he will have a shot at maybe clinching that podium that has eluded him throughout his F1 career in the sport.

26. noshog

noshog

Was just thinking... It will not be a good look for Stroll if whoever replaces Perez shows up and is faster than him having never driven the car before.
    Would have to put some serious questions to Daddy Stroll if he serious about success in F1.
    Should be a good weekend now.

27. McLaren

McLaren Premium

I'm assuming the FIA will run similar to the NBA in this scenario, where a positive test requires minimum 1 week quarantine & then test negative twice within' (I think), a 48-72 hour window to be cleared.

KinLM likes this.
  28. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Get Hulkenberg into the car. He has more than enough experience to be competitive, and with a car capable of a podium, why not?

KinLM, UnkaD and SlowGrayAudi like this.
  29. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

It'll likely be based on the standard advice for the country, in this case for us in the UK, a positive test now requires 10 day isolation. Therefore he'll miss the 2nd GP.

Edit. Reports say Hulkenberg has been seen at Silverstone. Wouldn't be allowed in without a negative test, and The Race is reporting he has the seat. Awaiting official confirmation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  30. psychoazubi

psychoazubi

Hulk has been cleared regarding corona tests. Now it’s just a wait for the official confirmation from force India. Really hope he can get that missing podium...

KinLM likes this.