Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 512 comments
Lewis an absolute beast improving on the record! great work from Norris too... Vettel is nowhere... ouch lost his time for track limits!

Absolutely :censored:ing ridiculous, cannot wait for the Mercedes dynasty to eventually end cause good lord.

This season is a ****ing write-off. I hate the FIA. Way to do nothing to close the field for the last 6 years.

And new regs are pushed back to 2022. So next year will be the Mercedes show as well. F1 is a ****ing snooze fest.

Only thing worth watching for is the midfield battles.

Pathetic, we are seeing absolute world class driving and engineering grow up guys...

Good gosh Lewis!!....he said he was going to be a machine before the season started, I guess he really is doing it cause the car aside, that's bloody impressive!

That gap to third though!! :eek::eek:

Pathetic, we are seeing absolute world class driving and engineering grow up guys...

You're pathetic, that has nothing to do with the regulations. There might as well not be any at this point. In a sport where money determines your grid slot, it would've been easy for the FIA to get their heads out of their asses and make new rules to improve the show.

The fact that the ****ing teams even have a say in any form of rule making is a ****ing travesty.

The FIA and the FOM should make the rules. PERIOD!

The teams should just stfu and race. That's why the sport is so ****ed, because the teams have a say and can vote on ****.

You're being an ignorant child, you grow up and open your goddam eyes. Or maybe get off MBs nuts

Is it illegal to be tired of this domination all of a sudden? We've been dealing with this for 6 years in a row now let us be frustrated

Its not the racing its you..

You're pathetic, that has nothing to do with the regulations. There might as well not be any at this point. In a sport where money determines your grid slot, it would've been easy for the FIA to get their heads out of their asses and make new rules to improve the show.

The fact that the ****ing teams even have a say in any form of rule making is a ****ing travesty.

The FIA and the FOM should make the rules. PERIOD!

The teams should just stfu and race. That's why the sport is so ****ed, because the teams have a say and can vote on ****.

You're being an ignorant child, you grow up and open your goddam eyes. Or maybe get off MBs nuts

insightful genius... MENSA awaits you

Is it illegal to be tired of this domination all of a sudden? We've been dealing with this for 6 years in a row now let us be frustrated

It's not illegal or anything and I can see your point. However, is it the Mercedes that's causing that or is it every other team not being able to do as good of a job?? From my perspective, the other teams are the ones to blame cause they've had 6 years to step it up but they have yet to do 🤬 all about it.

Honestly, props to Mercedes for being able to push it the boundaries every freaking season since the turbo hybrid era. As evldave333 said, they are showing everyone what world class engineering, world class team and driving is supposed to look like and they are doing a pretty damn good job at it.

Maybe you and Dave can get your panties wet together over Hamiltons new jeans and ride the MB bandwagon straight to his house

I want F1 to be entertaining. It is not at the moment. The slimmer of entertainment there is, is only because the midfield teams are somehow close in performance. The top TEAM (yes theres only one now) is NOT entertaining to watch

It's not illegal or anything and I can see your point. However, is it the Mercedes that's causing that or is it every other team not being able to do as good of a job?? From my perspective, the other teams are the ones to blame cause they've had 6 years to step it up but they have yet to do 🤬 all about it.

Honestly, props to Mercedes for being able to push it the boundaries every freaking season since the turbo hybrid era. As evldave333 said, they are showing everyone what world class engineering, world class team and driving is supposed to look like and they are doing a pretty damn good job at it.

They're doing a good job. But if you give them Williams or Haas' budget. I doubt they'd be anywhere near the top 3.

You're being an ignorant child

Maybe you and Dave can get your panties wet together over Hamiltons new jeans and ride the MB bandwagon straight to his house

Ummm...

Look, I get it. I lived through the Ferrari dominence of the early 2000s and that was immensely frustrating, to the point where 2005 was great not because Alonso or Raikkonen were winning, but because Schumacher wasn't. You get to the end of a race, feel miserable, and wonder why you bother watching. But it wasn't Ferrari's fault that noone else came close, and it's not Mercedes' fault that they pushed hard through the winter to beat a resurgent Ferrari only to find Ferrari were cheating the fuel flow regs, and suddenly the team that hasn't been cheating has a massive advantage.

One point of clarification - there's only one team on the grid that has a say in the way the rules are written, and that's Ferrari who still - as far as I'm aware - have a veto over any rule changes. The rest can lobby and demand, but they don't have any actual power.

No one should be happy about this, unless you are a Mercedes. The gap is just too big, and the sport is too complicated to change your car's philosophy and pursue another. You still need to catch up to learn a new concept you haven't invested in it before and you will end up having the same gap to the team ahead. And to make the matter worst, we only rely heavily on two other teams to do that because they are the once who also spend 400 millions compared to the other's 150. FIA should handicap Merc just like other motorsport serieses does it.

You realise there's a budget cap and a championship-position-defined development restriction coming in for next season right?

Jeez, the amount of stuff people completely forget about before ranting is insane...

Oh boy oh boy I wonder who will win the championship this year and next.

Reduce the aero, open up the engine regs to allow engine builders to experiment, and allow privateer teams again. Wouldn’t fix the dominance, but at least would help and would make each season an unknown.

You realise there's a budget cap and a championship-position-defined development restriction coming in for next season right?

Jeez, the amount of stuff people completely forget about before ranting is insane...
While next years new regulations hope to change the status quo, that doesn't invalidate the issues of the current season. Hopefully there's less of this crap in the future.

To everyone, please don't turn every race thread into this discussion. Let's make a new thread if that's what we want to discuss.

Roo
Ummm...

Look, I get it. I lived through the Ferrari dominence of the early 2000s and that was immensely frustrating, to the point where 2005 was great not because Alonso or Raikkonen were winning, but because Schumacher wasn't. You get to the end of a race, feel miserable, and wonder why you bother watching. But it wasn't Ferrari's fault that noone else came close, and it's not Mercedes' fault that they pushed hard through the winter to beat a resurgent Ferrari only to find Ferrari were cheating the fuel flow regs, and suddenly the team that hasn't been cheating has a massive advantage.

One point of clarification - there's only one team on the grid that has a say in the way the rules are written, and that's Ferrari who still - as far as I'm aware - have a veto over any rule changes. The rest can lobby and demand, but they don't have any actual power.

The sport should evolve and learn from its past. I find it funny that some are bringing back the argument that Ferrari were dominant in the early 2000's and that it should be ok now. First of all, as I said everything should evolve and the sport should avoid such advantages for a team. Second, it also not fair for the other teams that pay 150 millions compared to Merc's budget and all other parts that they sell to consumers because it was built around what Merc needs to its car. Third. It's just a turn off for any new team that want to invest in F1.

Until then, FIA should handicap Merc because it's not fair for the other who doesn't have a fortune to spend.

The Mercedes dominance has gotten to the point where its simply not fun anymore to spend time watching F1 when its gone to the point where we wake up expecting them to destroy the field every single week by nearly 2 seconds in qualifying. I honestly couldn't care less about their technological advancements anymore when they have been doing this for 6 straight years and counting to the surprise of no one. We are never getting another 2010/2012 season ever again in F1 where the championship is actually contested between more than just 1 team and i have low expectations thinking that the 2022 regulations are gonna change anything. But hey, im forced to appreciate Mercedes constantly and not allowed to show my frustration right?

The Mercedes dominance has gotten to the point where its simply not fun anymore to spend time watching F1 when its gone to the point where we wake up expecting them to destroy the field every single week by nearly 2 seconds in qualifying. I honestly couldn't care less about their technological advancements anymore when they have been doing this for 6 straight years and counting to the surprise of no one. We are never getting another 2010/2012 season ever again in F1 where the championship is actually contested between more than just 1 team and i have low expectations thinking that the 2022 regulations are gonna change anything. But hey, im forced to appreciate Mercedes constantly and not allowed to show my frustration right?
I’d kill to have 70s-80s F1 again where every season a different driver and team won, and half of the time the WDC wasn’t from the WCC-winning team.

Guys, guys guys.... yes the result of F1 has been painfully predictable for 6 years, but there is a solution...

Watch BTCC instead.

Problem solved.

The sport should evolve and learn from its past. I find it funny that some are bringing back the argument that Ferrari were dominant in the early 2000's and that it should be ok now.

I didn't say anything about it being good ("ok") or bad. I just said it is, and how I found it frustrating at the time.

First of all, as I said everything should evolve and the sport should avoid such advantages for a team. Second, it also not fair for the other teams that pay 150 millions compared to Merc's budget and all other parts that they sell to consumers because it was built around what Merc needs to its car. Third. It's just a turn off for any new team that want to invest in F1.

As it's been forever; the more money you can get hold of, the more likely you are to win. It's no guarantee, as Jaguar and Toyota will tell you, but it helps. But I feel one of the biggest advantages Mercedes have is their team culture; you never hear Toto or the Mercedes-Benz board publicly blaming individuals or looking for scapegoats the way the senior management at Ferrari - above team level, more Fiat board level, or whomever owns them currently - or Red Bull do. Genuinely adhearing to "win as a team, lose as a team" costs nothing.

Until then, FIA should handicap Merc because it's not fair for the other who doesn't have a fortune to spend.

Then it's unfair to the team who have done the best job.

Really, it comes down to what you (not you personally, Betty blue, "you" as in whoever's watching) want from F1. If you want a technological war with bonkers laptimes, you're more likely to get dominence. If you want entertainment, just make it a spec series like every other major series on the planet and be done with the record books. Personally I like to see crazyfast laptimes; I'm awestruck watching the pole laps nowadays.

The Mercedes dominance has gotten to the point where its simply not fun anymore to spend time watching F1 when its gone to the point where we wake up expecting them to destroy the field every single week by nearly 2 seconds in qualifying.

Sounds like 2004, and I'm willing to bet those who were watching F1 in the late 80s were voicing similar opinions about McLaren whilst reminicing about the early 80s randomness.

We are never getting another 2010/2012 season ever again in F1 where the championship is actually contested between more than just 1 team and i have low expectations thinking that the 2022 regulations are gonna change anything.

Again, I remember having very similar thoughts 16 years ago... then 2007-2012 happened. Keep the faith.

But hey, im forced to appreciate Mercedes constantly and not allowed to show my frustration right?

Not at all. Of course you're allowed to show your frustration - but the price you pay for that is that other people are allowed to disagree with you.

Guys, guys guys.... yes the result of F1 has been painfully predictable for 6 years, but there is a solution...

Watch BTCC instead.

Problem solved.

Or GT World challenge GT3 or GT4 racing.

Which is fine if you want random racing and aren't concerned with how it's achieved, but personally I find the BoP'd nature of GT racing, and the behind-the-scenes boost medelling in the BTCC, to have tainted the racing somewhat. It's kinda interesting, but not properly enjoyable when it's arrived at artifically.

Back