Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
@Outspacer why should Hamilton have been the bigger man? They were both going for the same position at the same corner, when they turned in together and Lewis was already slowing down to avoid an accident, couldn't Max take a wider line to avoid the collision, like Leclerc did?

Just because - on past form - Max wouldn't back down and be shoved wide! (Leclerc's tyres were unhappy and Lewis had a couple of seconds per lap on him, so that was a very different situation). There's no reason for Lewis to stoop to his level (if that's what you see it as), which is what I meant by 'bigger man'. There are always ways that both drivers could do things differently to avoid a collision, so had the stewards called it a racing incident I would have accepted that also, but not that Max deserves blame for sticking to his chosen line - he was ahead (for all but a fraction of a second). Lewis knew from the Sprint that a pass was very unlikely to stick there, so why not focus on the exit instead, leave Max defending on the slower inside line? My angle isn't so much "Lewis should hang" as just "Lewis wasn't thinking cleverly, at all".

tl;dr - I don't agree that Max should've submissively driven off track like Leclerc.

Last edited:
Leclerc finished second, Verstappen has a DNF. You would rather be the guy that gets the DNF?
Another strawman. The outcome (DNF) is somewhat irrelevant to the incident and the penalty. Had the contact left Max's tyre on the rim, but still sent him wide losing one place, the penalty would probably still have been given to Lewis (if he didn't give the place back).

But if we're going with "what ifs", how about this scenario - same contact, Max continues but Lewis is out with busted front suspension. Just as likely, so would Lewis rather be the guy with the DNF?

Last edited:
Just because - on past form - Max wouldn't back down and be shoved wide! .... There's no reason for Lewis to stoop to his level (if that's what you see it as), which is what I meant by 'bigger man'.
And that's the crux of the matter which caused this incident. Why should Lewis back down? I'm not saying anything about stooping down to a level because they're both driving as well as each other, but there's no guarantee of someone backing down, and Max has learned this in the worst possible way. As I've said before, I don't wish anyone any ill will in any way shape or form, but it has shown Lewis has had enough.

I mentioned before, I hope this draws a line in the sand and we start to see the beginning of fairer racing.

And that's the crux of the matter which caused this incident. Why should Lewis back down? I'm not saying anything about stooping down to a level because they're both driving as well as each other, but there's no guarantee of someone backing down, and Max has learned this in the worst possible way. As I've said before, I don't wish anyone any ill will in any way shape or form, but it has shown Lewis has had enough.

I mentioned before, I hope this draws a line in the sand and we start to see the beginning of fairer racing.
Why shouldn't Lewis back down? Because "Lewis has had enough" is enough reason not to? Pfft.

Never mind that Lewis did back down from his lunge, just a tiny bit too late. In effect, all these arguments are over a few milliseconds - without those, no collision!

Last edited:
Perhaps, in the future, the dirtiest driver (currently) in F1 might be a bit more circumspect after his 51g crash.

You shouldn’t dish it out if you can’t take it :lol:
It's fair, but still a huge mark on Hamilton's reputation about which he care the most. He almost killed a young man for a few points. And his boss tried to cover it with e-mails.

Another strawman. The outcome (DNF) is somewhat irrelevant to the incident and the penalty. Had the contact left Max's tyre on the rim, but still sent him wide losing one place, the penalty would probably still have been given to Lewis (if he didn't give the place back).

But if we're going with "what ifs", how about this scenario - same contact, Max continues but Lewis is out with busted front suspension. Just as likely, so would Lewis rather be the guy with the DNF?
All you're saying is nobody is allowed to overtake Max cause he'll run you off.

Perhaps, in the future, the dirtiest driver (currently) in F1 might be a bit more circumspect after his 51g crash.

You shouldn’t dish it out if you can’t take it :lol:
Verstappen has never sent Hamilton into the barriers at 180 mph. The two times he has hit Hamilton this season, Hamilton went on to win anyway and was gifted 2nd when he should have finished 6th or 7th after his own error.

It's fair, but still a huge mark on Hamilton's reputation about which he care the most. He almost killed a young man for a few points. And his boss tried to cover it with e-mails.
Lewis already has 7 World Championships, 99 wins & 100 pole positions... no one will remember this incident when his career is over.

‘nearly killed a young man’... give over :lol:

Not sure I'd put it quite like that... but the basics are sound :)

No matter how dirty Max might be, it can't be said that Hamilton is behind in this season just because of that. The frustration is showing now he can't just phone it in with the fastest car. (Don't get me wrong - he loves the challenge, and I love him for that, but still).

All you're saying is nobody is allowed to overtake Max cause he'll run you off.
At least I'm saying something logical :D (even if you have totally misrepresented it, whatever)

Never mind Max, Lewis is not allowed to try a reckless move that got him a penalty by the rules of the sport.

Last edited:
By the stewards own statement though, they must also put some of the blame on VER..
As per the sporting regs, they issue a penalty if someone was “wholly or predominantly to blame”. In the document regarding the penalty, they state that HAM was predominantly to blame. Not wholly. Implying that VER played his part in it to - although in their view it was obviously a smaller proportion of the blame than HAM.

Some alright battles in the midfield but once Verstappen was out, the outcome of the race was predictable.

By the stewards own statement though, they must also put some of the blame on VER..
As per the sporting regs, they issue a penalty if someone was “wholly or predominantly to blame”. In the document regarding the penalty, they state that HAM was predominantly to blame. Not wholly. Implying that VER played his part in it to - although in their view it was obviously a smaller proportion of the blame than HAM.
Technically correct, but the bar for "wholly" is set extremely high. So high that barely any incidents reach it - how long is it since the last one?

Predominantly means what it says - not just that the balance of blame shift slightly one way or the other. Max's fault was minor in comparison. (In the steward's opinion, I mean).

Another instant classic:

masi.JPG

That was not a racing incident. That was stupid and dangerous. I'm sickened and very concerned about the rest of the championship now if this is the precedent being set. Hamilton getting away with this sort of stuff is a travesty. "Oh but Max should've backed out" I hear some of you say. Really? He was fully committed to the corner and on the racing line whereas Hamilton was not. For the sake of this argument, Hamilton was the following car and when you're in that position it's your responsibility to avoid contact. If it was a slower corner this wouldn't have happened but due to the high-speed nature of Copse, pulling a move like that is very high risk. Contact was inevitable once Hamilton had committed. Therein lies the problem.

Last edited:
Back