Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio de España 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 339 comments
:lol:

It's also the point: Red Bull can plan its strategy around it, because it happens. Yes, it wants to prioritize its #1 driver because last year it came down to the final race and even then it needed a snooker, so seven points now is great. But if it hamstrings its #2 guy too much and something happens to the #1 guy (who in 2021 parked it in three walls and on top of someone else's car, and brake-checked on the fastest street circuit), both championships are under threat.

But then I'm sure Horner has his eggs delivered each morning by the woman who manages his on-site poultry farm and never has to consider the concept of baskets.
They could but would anyone actually think it's wise? Moot point really as Verstappen didn't actually need team orders to pass it was just a smart thing to do to prevent a double DNF possiblity.

Yeah that's true, but to do it so early in the season. It would be better for the rookie to do it towards the end of the season. Not to mention the Spanish GP is a track that is won mostly due to tyre deg/strategy in the past.
Maybe. I could see them doing it now to get 1 session out of the way where as later on, seat time may be more important.

It seems like it might've also been something the teams talked together on as Williams & Alfa both subbed out their #2 drivers.

They could but would anyone actually think it's wise?
Yeah, the eight-time reigning constructor champions.

In the early to mid part of the season Mercedes just lets the drivers race, and then it throws more weight behind the one in the championship lead (unless it's too close, so as not to hinder either driver's chance). We have seen some early "team orders" (don't hold "x" up being the common one), but it's not the norm.

It's won eight straight constructor titles, even when the drivers have bounced off each other fighting for the solo title.

As I said earlier, Red Bull obviously wants Verstappen to have seven more points now in case it becomes more of an issue later in the season (given his DNFs and the car issues in the race). It's hardly unexpected, as the team has always had #1 and #2 drivers, and not really something worth complaining about.

But the point really was that literally anything can happen in F1, and putting everything behind one guy while pissing off the other in race six is not exactly a long-term view...

... and that anyone who thinks the obvious #2 driver cannot even come within a reasonable chance of winning the title, so much so that they consider anyone who thinks they can "a fool", is ignorant of the occasions in F1 history where exactly that has happened (and Irvine wasn't exactly a driving genius) and should probably work on learning some more and folding it into their opinions before they start shoving out bad takes with insults appended to them...

Yeah, the eight-time reigning constructor champions.

In the early to mid part of the season Mercedes just lets the drivers race, and then it throws more weight behind the one in the championship lead (unless it's too close, so as not to hinder either driver's chance). We have seen some early "team orders" (don't hold "x" up being the common one), but it's not the norm.

It's won eight straight constructor titles, even when the drivers have bounced off each other fighting for the solo title.

As I said earlier, Red Bull obviously wants Verstappen to have seven more points now in case it becomes more of an issue later in the season (given his DNFs and the car issues in the race). It's hardly unexpected, as the team has always had #1 and #2 drivers, and not really something worth complaining about.

But the point really was that literally anything can happen in F1, and putting everything behind one guy while pissing off the other in race six is not exactly a long-term view...

... and that anyone who thinks the obvious #2 driver cannot even come within a reasonable chance of winning the title, so much so that they consider anyone who thinks they can "a fool", is ignorant of the occasions in F1 history where exactly that has happened (and Irvine wasn't exactly a driving genius) and should probably work on learning some more and folding it into their opinions before they start shoving out bad takes with insults appended to them...

Mercedes is a particularly bad example as they won the constructor title but lost the driver title last year.

The fact that Max made that error on his own but still benefitted from team orders twice really rubbed me the wrong way.

Tbf though, every team would do this under these circumstances, even if it’s early in the season. I get their reasoning but I still don’t like it. I just want to see some ****ing battles.

Wind gust is not a drive error in my book.
Same happened to Sainz, I believe but didn’t hear his team radio to be honest.

Your last point makes completely sense from a fan perspective.
As mentioned earlier, team principles think otherwise. Which is making sense in a way. RedBull can replace Perez easier with Gasly or Albon if Perez would undermine the way the team chooses to go forward: defending the #1 on Max his car because they claim the driver championship is what they are in for. Not the constructors per se.

Personally I would like to see Hamilton picking up pace too see what the strategy will be at Mercedes. Will Toto defend his protégé , or is he willing to let Georg take the points or can they fight it out on track?

Perez can be pissed off all he wants, without Red Bull his career is over and everyone knows it. When Red Bull signed him he was facing retirement after Racing Point let him go and no one else wanted him.

We've all seen number two drivers get pissed off over the fact that they are number two drivers, but none of them have ever done anything about it other than giving up their seat to the detriment of their own careers. Webber always made a lot of noise about Red Bull being unfair to him. To prove his point he went winless in a season where his team mate won nine races in a row, and retired at the end of that season. I bet Helmut Marko still lies awake at night thinking about how unfair he was to Webber back then.

Perez could walk away at the end of the season, but then he'll definitely never win another race.

Perez had a one off chance getting the drive in the RB. The constellation that RedBull had 4 F1 drivers but didn't wanted to put 3 of them into the RB cockpit (Pierre, Alex, Yuki) was a one off thing for 2021. That will not happen again soon since RB just has a massive talent pool of racing drivers and now already had to park Albon in the Williams. I think he doesn't understands his position even with the fact he is aware not having a contract for 2023.

But I guess Sergio is just another F1 driver without much clue in the sport he is competing in. I was shocked after his statement just a few weeks ago that he will quit if there will be more than 23 races a season (“I think if the calendar expands more, then I definitely will not do it.”-Perez).
The concorde agreement for 2021-2025 was signed by all teams in 08/2020 shortly before he joined Red Bull (12/2020). With this all teams agreed to 25 races a season. How could a professional sign this contract when he is not willing to participating in this sport running more than 23 races? I mean I'm pretty sure there is a clause in his contract too like "the driver of RBR placed lower in the WDC will agree to support the driver placed higher in the WDC". Pretty sure something like this is a standard clause in most F1 drivers contracts, maybe except Lewis and Maxs ones. Checo seems to me really snowflakey to me in the last times und a bit unprofessional not knowing some things surrounding his job.

Last edited:
Perez had a one off chance getting the drive in the RB. The constellation that RedBull had 4 F1 drivers but didn't wanted to put 3 of them into the RB cockpit (Pierre, Alex, Yuki) was a one off thing for 2021. That will not happen again soon since RB just has a massive talent pool of racing drivers and now already had to park Albon in the Williams. I think he doesn't understands his position even with the fact he is aware not having a contract for 2023.

But I guess Sergio is just another F1 driver without much clue in the sport he is competing in. I was shocked after his statement just a few weeks ago that he will quit if there will be more than 23 races a season (“I think if the calendar expands more, then I definitely will not do it.”-Perez).
The concorde agreement for 2021-2025 was signed by all teams in 08/2020 shortly before he joined Red Bull (12/2020). With this all teams agreed to 25 races a season. How could a professional sign this contract when he is not willing to participating in this sport running more than 23 races? I mean I'm pretty sure there is a clause in his contract too like "the driver of RBR placed lower in the WDC will agree to support the driver placed higher in the WDC". Pretty sure something like this is a standard clause in most F1 drivers contracts, maybe except Lewis and Maxs ones. Checo seems to me really snowflakey to me in the last times und a bit unprofessional not knowing some things surrounding his job.
In sure there are plenty of young talented drivers in the wings that would be happy to do 30 races in a season if it meant getting a seat in an F1 car.

The concorde agreement for 2021-2025 was signed by all teams in 08/2020 shortly before he joined Red Bull (12/2020). With this all teams agreed to 25 races a season.
You should post his whole statement & it makes more sense given he just had another child.
There’s a very big demand. But on the other hand, having too many races is a no-go — at least for me. Right now, you’re basically (immersed in) it because we have so many races. We have simulator sessions before each event. We have partner events.” So we basically we have zero time for ourselves and for our families. I have a couple of young children (with a third on the way). I think if the calendar (expands) more, then I definitely will not do it.”

The article quotes the limit right now is 24.
F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has already hinted at an increased number of races in 2023. The schedule for this season involves 23 races. Formula 1 also has a regulation of up to 24 races a year currently and, with Las Vegas added, it reaches the limit.

However, this sort of increase to 30 definitely validates Sergio's position if it's a plan being proposed. He may have agreed to push for 24, but another 5-6 adds an even bigger toll.
Earlier, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali revealed the FIA is looking at potential venues to increase the number of races on the schedule. With Las Vegas already added, the Italian stated they are also exploring Africa and China as venues. According to him, there is a possibility of 30 races a season from 2023.

Last edited:
Back