Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio de España 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 339 comments
I disagree, but I respect your principles. It’s just that you can’t ignore the reality of this sport, and that these things happened even when team orders were banned (Raikkonen magically got the lead at Brazil in 2007 after Felipe stopped, he would’ve lost the title by a single point had Felipe emerged ahead and successfully defended his position from Kimi for the rest of the GP).

Oooohhhh, that’s totally different. Okay then. :lol:
It is when you're 2nd and 3rd and want the guy in the third to try and chase down the leader in a different team. Red Bull were already 1-2. They could have let them race.

We usually see one attempt at a rage quit per season. It would have been awesome to see him in the mix at the front.

Last edited:
Race confirms what I said about Ricciardo and Hamilton. Both totally outclassed by their team mates.
Hamilton was ready to pack up his toys and go home on lap one meanwhile Russell was leading the race and holding off the reigning world champion. Ricciardo just slipped back and back all race while Norris got points and the maximum from the car even suffering with terrible allergies.

Race confirms what I said about Ricciardo and Hamilton. Both totally outclassed by their team mates.
They were never even racing each other because of a racing incident on lap 1. Meanwhile, your comments aged like milk because the guy whose career is done went from P19 to P5 without a safety car.
Hamilton was ready to pack up his toys and go home on lap one meanwhile Russell was leading the race and holding off the reigning world champion.
He wanted to protect the new engine. He asked at the end if the engine was okay because he was at risk of a DNF in the final laps.

Russell lead the race because of Charles suffering a DNF who was way up ahead, but had Max all over him without DRS & didn't have the same luck against a stronger Checo

Last edited:
They were never even racing each other because of a racing incident on lap 1. Meanwhile, your comments aged like milk because the guy whose career is done went from P19 to P5 without a safety car.

He wanted to protect the new engine. He asked at the end if the engine was okay because he was at risk of a DNF in the final laps.

Russell lead the race because of Charles suffering a DNF who was way up ahead, but had Max all over him without DRS & didn't have the same luck against a stronger Checo

He held off Max even when Max had DRS which he did for several laps and even when Max was able to pass him once using DRS he fought back and regained the position. That's the drive of a winner. Wanting to give up on lap one shows all the fighting spirit in Hamilton is gone. You can also look at the driver standings to see Russell is now the #1 driver at Mercedes by a country mile.

He held off Max even when Max had DRS which he did for several laps
The laps where Max wasn't close enough?
and even when Max was able to pass him once using DRS he fought back and regained the position.
Which was a bold move, but it doesn't negate that Max would've admittedly had him easily without the DRS picking and choosing to fail. Checo proved the RB would've taken him.
That's the drive of a winner. Wanting to give up on lap one shows all the fighting spirit in Hamilton is gone.
You were literally just told why he wanted to retire.
You can also look at the driver standings to see Russell is now the #1 driver at Mercedes by a country mile.
Yeah, you're just in here to troll and bait. Good luck sticking around the rest of the season.

Last edited:
A Barcelona race where I didn't fall asleep. Okay!

Not sure if Ferrari should be encouraged by LeClerc's pace or worried about their own reliability and Sainz just not getting to grips with the car.

RBR drama but nothing new for them, really. Thankfully for them, Perez is closer to a Bottas than a Rosberg as a threat pace-wise to Max.

Another great result for Russell. I think Mercedes can start feeling easier about life after Hamilton although I have to wonder what Lewis could've done without that Lap 1 incident. Almost certain he was about as fast as Perez given Perez barely got fast lap over him. Cooling issues may be a concern going forward as we head into summer.

Alfa made a mistake leaving Bottas out there. Also feel Zhou is really getting the short end on the reliability side.

A bit discouraged that the gap between the front cars and everyone else seems to be widening.

Onto the Monaco parade where any actual racing action will be accidental.

The laps where Max wasn't close enough?

Which was a bold move, but it doesn't negate that Max would've admittedly had him easily without the DRS picking and choosing to fail. Checo proved the RB would've taken him.

You were literally just told why he wanted to retire.

Yeah, you're just in here to troll and bait. Good luck sticking around the rest of the season.

The drivers standings are trolling? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. It's literally the most impartial way to judge the comparative performance of team mates over the course of a season. Hamilton's water pump problem didn't show up until the end of the race so that's no excuse for asking to retire on lap one. Perez had fresh tires which was why he was able to pass.

Last edited:
So this year also had Leclerc getting reliability issues as with Verstappen, unlike 2005 with Alonso completely bulletproof.

Every week it's a new ridiculous comment from someone who "knows Formula 1". Good race for Max and Red Bull, disappointing runs for Haas, Ferrari and Williams.

Every week it's a new ridiculous comment from someone who "knows Formula 1". Good race for Max and Red Bull, disappointing runs for Haas, Ferrari and Williams.
Thinking the person who finished higher in the race is the better driver isn't being ridiculous. Thinking the person who finished lower in the race is a better driver would be a ridiculous statement.

Barcelona was a Mercedes dominated race for years. The most boring race, after Monaco.

The new rules showed some great overtaking and closer racing then the last 30 years.
How Max took Valteri on the outside could never be done with the older concept, I think.

Last year, RedBull also had issues with DRS on Max his car. They should fix that. Max showed again he is quick and gets everything and more out of the tires.
But that wind almost destroyed his race…

Listening to the sound, it seems like the turbo from Leclerc blew. Which is too bad, because a good fight on track between 1&2 is what I would have loved. But, RedBull didn’t had the pace. The Ferrari update worked very well, it seems.
Also, with more mechanical grip, Monaco should be a easy 1-2.
The cars are too wide, too long and too fat for a race over there. Who gets pole, wins. Unless there is a blistering under- or overcut or rain. Or it is Charles driving in the armco…

Last edited:
Thinking the person who finished higher in the race is the better driver isn't being ridiculous. Thinking the person who finished lower in the race is a better driver would be a ridiculous statement.
It is, because it doesn't take into consideration the circumstances involved. Nikita Mazepin finished ahead of Max Verstappen at last year's British GP, so by your logic (or lack thereof actually) of ignoring circumstances, Mazepin was a better driver than Verstappen.

rsh
Barcelona was a Mercedes dominated race for years. The most boring race, after Monaco.

The new rules showed some great overtaking and closer racing then the last 30 years.
How Max took Valteri on the outside could never be done with the older concept, I think.

Last year, RedBull also had issues with DRS on Max his car. They should fix that. Max showed again he is quick and gets everything and more out of the tires.
But that wind almost destroyed his race…

Listening to the sound, it seems like the turbo from Leclerc blew. Which is too bad, because a good fight on track between 1&2 is what I would have loved. But, RedBull didn’t had the pace. The Ferrari update worked very well, it seems.
Also, with more mechanical grip, Monaco should be a easy 1-2.
The cars are too wide, too long and too fat for a race over there. Who gets pole, wins. Unless there is a blistering under- or overbuy or rain. Or it is Charles driving in the armco…
Hard to say Ferrari had way more pace than Redbull when you look where Sainz ended up.

Lewis was amazing imo. 19th-> 6th after a collision and then overheating issues. Respect.

Attachments

• B7EE635E-3FBA-4618-8845-4669B28C131A.jpeg
    B7EE635E-3FBA-4618-8845-4669B28C131A.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
It is, because it doesn't take into consideration the circumstances involved. Nikita Mazepin finished ahead of Max Verstappen at last year's British GP, so by your logic (or lack thereof actually) of ignoring circumstances, Mazepin was a better driver than Verstappen.

You're right that simply looking at one race doesn't tell the whole story but the story of this race is also the story of the entire season. Hamilton is being outclassed by Russell on a a consistent basis. A 28 point gap is massive for a "best of the rest" manufacturer duo.
Lewis was amazing imo. 19th-> 6th after a collision and then overheating issues. Respect.
Cutting through the back markers and midfield is easy. It's battling it out with the top dogs that is the tough part. While he was cruising past Stroll and Gasly Russell was losing tons of time having to drive defensively against a top team and chewing up his tires in the process. And Russell was able to do that while dealing with an overheating engine of his own.

Last edited:
I haven't followed F1 since about 2015. I'm usually updated about the races by a couple co-workers. Please don't tell me this Drake curse is a real thing.

A Barcelona race where I didn't fall asleep. Okay!

A bit discouraged that the gap between the front cars and everyone else seems to be widening.
I was having some long blinks in the second half, I thought it was pretty boring.

The larger gap back to the midfield is disappointing - I think unlikely we will get exciting random weekend with some other team competitive this year.
rsh
Yeh to some extent, even the last 5 years I think new tyres + DRS has always been effective in having extra position changes... some of the changes on this race just seemed a bit too assisted as they really flew by with the exception of George's defensive moves.

In previous years very conservative and durable tyres have resulted in consistent simple strategies that reduce the number of passes. The current tyres that degrade more seem to be very good for racing, although perhaps more on some tracks than others.

Otherwise the interest in this race was due to a few gusts of wind and a broken DRS, otherwise they just sorted into position according to performance.

I was having some long blinks in the second half, I thought it was pretty boring.

The larger gap back to the midfield is disappointing - I think unlikely we will get exciting random weekend with some other team competitive this year.

Yeh to some extent, even the last 5 years I think new tyres + DRS has always been effective in having extra position changes... some of the changes on this race just seemed a bit too assisted as they really flew by with the exception of George's defensive moves.

In previous years very conservative and durable tyres have resulted in consistent simple strategies that reduce the number of passes. The current tyres that degrade more seem to be very good for racing, although perhaps more on some tracks than others.

Otherwise the interest in this race was due to a few gusts of wind and a broken DRS, otherwise they just sorted into position according to performance.

Sad to hear you thought it was boring. Yeah the last 20 laps or so didn't have much action but the first half was some of the most exciting racing all year. I always enjoyed watching someone defend their position skillfully more than watching someone charge through the field. It's like an extended tension and a real clinic on racecraft.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Danny Ric walk away from F1 at the end of this season. That was a really painful race.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Danny Ric walk away from F1 at the end of this season. That was a really painful race.
I wonder if his expressed interest in NASCAR is genuine? He could try his hand a bit more there.

Back