Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix du Canada 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 137 comments
Head scratching performance for Checo this weekend. Was on the Mediums & the undisputed top car, but made no imprint on the Ferraris.
Don't think the direction that Red Bull are going suits Perez' driving style. I've always found it strange that they hired Perez who prefers a car similar to what Raikkonen did - very stable rear and understeery. Verstappen prefers a much more pointy nose and oversteery car in order to have more control over the throttle. This has been the case at Red Bull for the past 4 years and I think this is the reason why every teammate (other than Ricciardo) has always collapsed after the first 1/3rd of the season.

Edit: Also, drivers that prefer pointy oversteery cars are in the lesser catagory too, which doesn't help Red Bull.

Last edited:
Don't think the direction that Red Bull are going suits Perez' driving style. I've always found it strange that they hired Perez who prefers a car similar to what Raikkonen did - very stable rear and understeery. Verstappen prefers a much more pointy nose and oversteery car in order to have more control over the throttle. This has been the case at Red Bull for the past 4 years and I think this is the reason why every teammate (other than Ricciardo) has always collapsed after the first 1/3rd of the season.

Edit: Also, drivers that prefer pointy oversteery cars are in the lesser catagory too, which doesn't help Red Bull.
That's a completely fair point I've made in the past with the other drivers.

But, the RB is clearly on another level & Checo had tire advantage. There's still a sizeable gap there Checo had at hand on the Ferraris & Checo's RB history shows he's a step ahead of Max's previous teammates, so why seemingly no headway was made into disrupting Ferrari's day feels underwhelming. He can still drive that car extremely quick. I think maybe Horner called during the grid walk; he hasn't got his confidence.

That's a completely fair point I've made in the past with the other drivers.

But, the RB is clearly on another level & Checo had tire advantage. There's still a sizeable gap there Checo had at hand on the Ferraris & Checo's RB history shows he's a step ahead of Max's previous teammates, so why seemingly no headway was made into disrupting Ferrari's day feels underwhelming. He can still drive that car extremely quick. I think maybe Horner called during the grid walk; he hasn't got his confidence.
Could be that something happened behind closed doors and Perez no longer feels he is supported in the same manner as before. That would certainly give any driver a reason to have a confidence drop. It's not the first time this has been said about Red Bull: Webber, Ricciardo both saying things along those lines in the past. That car really should have been at least 4th from where Perez started though like you said, it's an insanely quick car.

Driver of the day for me....Alex Albon. Fantastic job by him keeping that car in P7. That Williams must be a rocket in the straights considering the other guys couldn't overtake with DRS and he didn't even have it the benefit of it.

That aside...race was interesting to watch. That battle between Alonso and Lewis looks like it will keep going to the end and I'm all for it. Hopefully one of the 2 will be able to break Red Bull winning streak.

Could be that something happened behind closed doors and Perez no longer feels he is supported in the same manner as before. That would certainly give any driver a reason to have a confidence drop. It's not the first time this has been said about Red Bull: Webber, Ricciardo both saying things along those lines in the past. That car really should have been at least 4th from where Perez started though like you said, it's an insanely quick car.
Not exactly behind closed doors, with all the things Horner has been saying to the media

Not exactly behind closed doors, with all the things Horner has been saying to the media
Well the closed door part could have been something along the lines of : 'your time is up here and we're going to replace you'.

Driver of the day for me....Alex Albon. Fantastic job by him keeping that car in P7. That Williams must be a rocket in the straights considering the other guys couldn't overtake with DRS and he didn't even have it the benefit of it.

That aside...race was interesting to watch. That battle between Alonso and Lewis looks like it will keep going to the end and I'm all for it. Hopefully one of the 2 will be able to break Red Bull winning streak.
Yeah you can really see that James Vowles had a huge impact on that Williams this year. No wonder Mercedes brought him back into the fold. That and Albon driving his at his absolute peak that we've ever seen him.

This season is only not turning out to be worse than some of Mercs Hybrid Era due to the immense fight that we have for P2-P3. But even then, we are seeing that most teams are simply 1 driver teams. Mercedes and Ferrari can somehow match each other in their drivers, but the pace difference between Max/Perez and Alonso/Stroll is astonishing.
Perez not even keeping up with Ferraris and Mercs and Astons and Stroll fighting in the mid-field...

Actually, I take that back. At least we had Nico giving Hamilton the fight during all years in the hybrid Era aside from 2015 where Vettel was putting a stunner in return to mix things up a bit.

This can arguably be the worst season I've watched ever (I'm 29).

If form continues as is, Alonso has a very real chance at second in the championship. Quite incredible if he's anywhere near the top three all things considered over the course of a season.

Perez is fading fast. A bit embarrassing considering at one point he was talking about going after the championship. It's crazy to think that he's driving the fastest car and couldn't get close to the Ferraris in this race. Horner said before that Checo can now relax, not feel pressured and do the job that he's paid to do. To me it sounded like he was saying now that the gap between himself and Max is that big, he should know that he cannot win against Max and all he should focus on is being the #2 driver....but he seems to be struggling to even do that right now.....maybe Ricciardo might be back after all.

I feel like I need to eat my words on Checo, dude doesn’t stand a chance.

I wonder what’s the earliest that Max can take the championship. Tickets for the Las Vegas race are bound to plummet soon

I feel like I need to eat my words on Checo, dude doesn’t stand a chance.

I wonder what’s the earliest that Max can take the championship. Tickets for the Las Vegas race are bound to plummet soon
T-Mobile is already offering 10% off tickets to their own viewing zone.

Last edited:
Back