Formula 1 Qatar Airways Hungarian Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 124 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
(RIP Magyar Nagydij). The Hungaroring is one of the longest continuously visited circuits on the F1 calendar, as the Central European circuit has come to the fore in recent years, home to some scintillating wheel-to-wheel action. This track has been the scene of many successful drivers' first wins, or absolute carnage races that also throw up surprise winners, so is this going to be the race Norris, Piastri or Stroll break their duck? Or will we just see another Verstappen romp at a circuit he spun-and-won at last year? We will find out at the HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX!
image (25).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.381km

Race Distance
306.63 km

Lap Record
1:16.627
Lewis Hamilton (2020)​

I hope for a return to form for Alonso Aston Martin. A twisty track should suit them. Other teams have caught up but Aston are falling into that "great first few races, then drop off" territory.
McLaren are the new Aston.

I hope for a return to form for Alonso Aston Martin. A twisty track should suit them. Other teams have caught up but Aston are falling into that "great first few races, then drop off" territory.
Admittedly the car suits rear-limited tracks, while struggles in front-limited ones. Silverstone was always going to be horrific for them because of this. Once they get back to some rear-limited tracks, Aston will be back on the podium (unless McLaren have really truly leapfrogged them)

If you listen to Lando's comments about the McLaren, it's still a question mark whether they will do well at this track or not as he did say that fundamentally the car is still not good especially in the slow corners or that it was just the nature of the track at Silverstone and weather conditions that helped them. We shall see I guess!

I've only seen the headline because the full article is behind a paywall on Autosport, but it appears that Perez isn't gelling with the current Redbull because he doesn't 'trust it' on the edge. That matters less in the race as they're generally not constantly pushing it, but in quali and i guess in free practise too, they are either on the absolute edge or pushing to find the boundaries. I take it from this that the car has been designed around how Max likes the car to behave and Checo just has to deal with it.

Last edited:
Perez should have played some more Gran Turismo, because every player knows the moment you put that tire on the grass, it's game over 😂..... seriously though, I still can't believe he crashed the car after doing 1 lap in FP1.... if Ricciardo does well here and also for the rest of season, he might just get that red bull seat well before 2025. To quote the SkyF1 commentators, contracts at red bull are not worth the paper that they are written on.

I've only seen the headline because the full article is behind a paywall on Autosport, but it appears that Perez isn't gelling with the current Redbull because he doesn't 'trust it' on the edge. That matters less in the race as they're generally not constantly pushing it, but in quali and i guess in free practise too, they are either on the absolute edge or pushing to find the boundaries. I take it from this that the car has been designed around how Max likes the car to behave and Checo just has to deal with it.
Not buying that for a second.

Can't really take much from that FP2 session since everyone was doing something different but the McLarens are looking good here too. Alpine also looks to be in good form. We really might have more teams in the mix fighting for P2 after red bull and Max.

Not buying that for a second.
It's not all that far-fetched, it's been a thing at RB for awhile now or at least since when Gasly was getting slated and dissected for how far off Max's pace he was. There's been more than one iteration of that car during Max's time there that has been described (by his team-mates admittedly) as like riding on a constant knife edge.

And it's not specifically a RB issue either, there was Dani Ric's well publicised issues at Mclaren with the brakes and how it handled. I also seem to vaguely remember Button also struggled a bit at Mclaren due to the car's characteristics being molded to Lewis' preferences at the time (although that may have been just a dud car in general).

"On the spares situation, Marko added: "We have enough spares, for both cars."

Asked to clarify whether that meant Perez was racing without spare parts, Marko confirmed: "No [he has none]."

This means Verstappen does have a set of spares left on his side of the garage."

:lol:

Ouch

It's not all that far-fetched, it's been a thing at RB for awhile now or at least since when Gasly was getting slated and dissected for how far off Max's pace he was. There's been more than one iteration of that car during Max's time there that has been described (by his team-mates admittedly) as like riding on a constant knife edge.

And it's not specifically a RB issue either, there was Dani Ric's well publicised issues at Mclaren with the brakes and how it handled. I also seem to vaguely remember Button also struggled a bit at Mclaren due to the car's characteristics being molded to Lewis' preferences at the time (although that may have been just a dud car in general).
Oh I'm not doubting the car is favoured to Max, that bit is obvious, and as you mentioned, not without precedent. But not trusting the car at the edge or not having faith in it? That sounds like a pretty lame excuse for a top driver driving one of the most dominant, well sorted F1 cars of modern times. Riccardo jumped in it for a test and set a time worthy of the front row inside 11 laps of Silverstone.

It's clear he's struggling and lacking confidence, if he doesn't figure out what he needs to do to trust the car again then I'm afraid he'll be out on his ear. His saving grace may be that he'll still finish 2nd in the championship because it's so tight behind Red Bull that there isn't a consistent point scorer to cause him trouble.

Russell got hampered big time on the start of his lap. But that's what happened when you wait til the very last minute to get going.

The mix that I'm seeing in the top 10 is a bit crazy....both Alpha Romeos better than the Alpines and ahead of Aston Martin too 😳...McLaren's form seem to be continuing which I think will definitely worry Ferrari, Aston Martin and most certainly Mercedes because if they are good here then that car will be just about competitive everywhere else. I expected to see a bit more pace from the Astons here but it's not looking like it.

This is a interesting tire test, I look forward to seeing the times from each session and compound. F1 needs to go to single car qualifying if they have no desire to stop cars from parking in the last 2 turns waiting to run.

Back