Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 65 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a (relatively short actually) winter break and a lot of panic/confusion/worry about the Coronavirus, it looks like we will be starting the Formula 1 season as usual. Albert Park has been the first race of the season for all but two years since its entry to the calendar in 1996, and is usually one of the best attended by the fans. With a history of some absolutely enormous crashes, this circuit really tests the drivers in their first race in a few months. There have only been a few driver swaps, so Latifi and Ocon won't have much sympathy from others. Testing has thrown up more questions than you can shake a stick at, with Mercedes DAS system and the Tracing Point being the two biggest talking points of the weeks of testing. Will any of those questions be answered in the first race of the season? How many races will we actually get? Let's just hope there are no more cancellations as we head into the AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.303km

Race Distance
307.574 km

Lap Record
1:24.125 Michael Schumacher (2004)

Really looking forward to this first GP. Already set my alarm clock to 2:00AM (CET) for the FP1.
Indeed so many questions and now let's see how it evolved over the past training and development period.
Who will surprise as a team and/or as a individual? Or will it be 'the same old story'?

Enjoy this race weekend and the new 2020 season!

A McLaren team member has been quarantined having shown symptoms of Coronavirus.

The FIA have said that if a team is unable to compete because of Coronavirus it will be a non-championship race. But what if one or some of the drivers go down with it? Y'know, what will happen if say Perez and Leclerc are stuck self-isolating in a Melbourne hotel as the Bahrain Grand Prix happens?

A McLaren team member has been quarantined having shown symptoms of Coronavirus.

The FIA have said that if a team is unable to compete because of Coronavirus it will be a non-championship race. But what if one or some of the drivers go down with it? Y'know, what will happen if say Perez and Leclerc are stuck self-isolating in a Melbourne hotel as the Bahrain Grand Prix happens?

Two members from the Haas team have also been put into self isolation. The whole event looks like a mistake and I'd be surprised if we get a proper event.

If the other racers are not infected I guess the reserve driver will take the wheel?

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever been more excited to watch an F1 season than this one. I've been so hyped up and looking forward to this weekend with a freaking countdown on my laptop and my computer at work...then come the news about coronavirus likely to put a dampener on everything....this really sucks :indiff:

If "Code"19 looks like the flu, everyone coming from cold northern hemisphere to warm southern hemisphere, is going to get the shakes and sniffles.

Well, the weather today in Melbourne looks to be warm(28°C). Tomorrow warm and rainy, Saturday & Sunday, temps will drop 10°C. I'm sure there will be plenty of people showing similar symptoms.

The event is seemingly being pushed through regardless. Shareholders need their money, man.

Could the drivers collectively refuse to race? Sure, there'd be a breach of contract but what are they going to do, sack Lewis Hamilton? I don't think so.

Three Renault team members self-isolated after showing virus symptoms.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...gium-as-f1-team-members-in-isolation-11955081

Renault have seemingly denied this but there must still be concerns amongst the teams. Perhaps people will be "okay" for this weekend's race, if it continues, but if a lot of team members become ill over the next couple of weeks it will be disastrous on a sporting level in addition to the obvious personal level.

Could the drivers collectively refuse to race? Sure, there'd be a breach of contract but what are they going to do, sack Lewis Hamilton? I don't think so.

He's certainly not happy.

The event is seemingly being pushed through regardless. Shareholders need their money, man.

As much as the drivers protest, if there are championship points on the line they’ll race.

I’d be amazed if we get a ‘proper’ season

Maybe they ought to do most if not all of the early races until the summer break behind closed doors like the Bahrain GP!

It's not if a team withdraws, it's if they cannot attend. This is voluntary so for now the race is still on.

If there isn't going to be any actual racing this year what about the F1 drivers doing an E Sports championship - perhaps from the comfort of their own homes?
That'd be something, if eSports see an opportunity, to get players/consumers versus real racers. I'm talking on a regular basis, regardless of the state of affairs right now.

Good for McLaren. F1 has handled this whole situation very poorly and it’s a shame the teams have had to step up.

Apparently one of its team members has contracted the virus. One can only imagine how far and wide it has spread throughout the whole paddock

Right call by McLaren and irresponsible to hold the race.

In another note: This is going to be bloody awful year. 🤬 you China! Call me racist all day long. This is a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this rate, it looks like Zandvoort might be the first race of the season. With Bahrain only next week and 14-day quarantines for COVID sufferers, anyone who catches it now won't be able to go to Bahrain. If a driver catches it, that's going to cause chaos too.

So not only is this outbreak affecting my vidyah games in some fashion, but it's now having a tangible effect on my motorsports too?

Seriously, this blows.

Back