Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 65 comments
It’s probably a good idea that the Grand Prix is postponed. It would get pretty messy if all the toilet paper was stolen during the race weekend.

Jokes aside, it’s for the best if people surrounding the sport have already started contracting it.

The Indycar season opener is probably going to get cancelled as well. They won't let any general admission spectators in.

Uh, no, it's best if nobody contracts it... :rolleyes:
Actually it isn't. This is a disease that humanity doesn't have any previous immunity to. The sooner healthy people catch it, survive and become immune, herd immunity starts to kick in and diseases stop spreading because it comes into contact with people who aren't immune less.

The mortality rate is like 1%, and that 1% is mainly elderly or already unhealthy people. The F1 paddock is mostly filled with young and/or healthy people, so we'd have to be very unlucky to get anyone to die from it. It's spectators and elderly paddock club members that are the ones to worry about.

If healthy young people who aren't at risk catch it then that increases the risk of it being spread to those who are at greater risk from it. The less people who catch it the better...

If healthy young people who aren't at risk catch it then that increases the risk of it being spread to those who are at greater risk from it. The less people who catch it the better...
Eventual herd immunity with a small percentage of deaths is a lot better than being vulnerable forever

Well if the 7 non Ferrari teams thought the FIA were incompotent handling the settlement with Ferrari wait until they see how they handle this.

That could be for the support races though. They'll still need marshals if the Supercars haven't cancelled.

Also...if they have all the staff, etc...would there be any point in allowing Australia to proceed as an additional test weekend? I know they're trying to limit testing - but you could attempt to salvage something from this.

Did F1 engineers work on filtering masks too?
esteban-ocon-renault-f1-team-w.jpg

The FIA’s incompetence is outstanding. Marshall’s where all requested to attend the track today (and are already there), as they were told today’s activities would go ahead as planned.

Declare it non-championship and allow teams to compete or not with no ramifications either way. If they can't get at least 10 cars, cancel it.

It's all very confusing because in another article she says;
"Officially from workers at the Albert Park circuit, they tell me it's business as usual and we've seen a steady stream of supply trucks enter through the gates. However unofficially here on the ground they are telling me the Grand Prix has been postponed. That matches what news agencies around the globe are reporting," Nine News Melbourne reporter Christine Ahern said on Today.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport...onavirus/a8b76770-8aa2-486f-8778-181fc2137017

No reporters seem to know what's happening yet so they're just click baiting everyone. I'll wait for an official report :)

TCR is still going on as planned.

Well fingers crossed we can get some racing this weekend then... After that I would say almost the whole season is going to be up in the air with the rate this virus is spreading around the world.

First crash of the weekend, it seems the V10 Minardi 2 seater has been involved in an incident.

For now teams are preparing to dismantle but no official word has come through. Until it's cancelled... it's on.

According to Motorsports.com, Kimi and Seb have already flown out of Australia, so I'd say it's definitely off. What's not off is the rest of the festivities at the track.

EDIT: I'm now reading in the comments that this information was from reddit and used by motorsports.com. So I guess until it's official, it's still on????

Last edited:

Also sounds like only half the grid will be on track? (Assuming it happens)

Andrew Benson says Kimi and Vettel have now left Australia, that makes it sound like Alfa and Ferrari won't be competing, we already know McLaren won't be.

What really disappoints me isn't the lack of a race but the cluster-**** that's occurred through nobody wanting (imo) to take the blame for the cancellation.

So who gets to reimburse the teams for dragging their crap halfway around the world for nothing?

Insurance companies won't pay out for any team or any entity that voluntarily withdraws. You can bet your mortgage on that.

Edit: Redundant now it has been officially cancelled.

Back