Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 118 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Round 3 of the season sees the paddock descent on Melbourne for the Motorsport festival that is held in Albert Park every year. The parkland circuit will host it's third race on the reconfigured layout which F1 decided will have four DRS zones. The walls are close and many have claimed multiple victims over the years. Max Verstappen can equal his record of 10 consecutive race victories here, will he have an easier run to this race win than the chaotic mess that was the last race here. We are back to racing on Sunday at the AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX!
Screenshot_20240319-091953.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.278km

Race Distance
306.124 km

Lap Record
1:20.235
Sergio Perez (2023)​

Last edited:
I wonder if Mercedes can be strong at this circuit to be front runners again. Can Lewis get his ninth pole here? A lot of the circuit should suit their car but it should for others too so might be a really close field given it is quite a simple circuit. Getting setup to work for turns 9 and 10 will be crucial. Red Bull race pace will be difficult to beat as usual. Can the Hulk also qualify really well here again?

I wonder if Mercedes can be strong at this circuit to be front runners again. Can Lewis get his ninth pole here? A lot of the circuit should suit their car but it should for others too so might be a really close field given it is quite a simple circuit. Getting setup to work for turns 9 and 10 will be crucial. Red Bull race pace will be difficult to beat as usual. Can the Hulk also qualify really well here again?
I think that you need to accept, just like Lewis did, that this years Mercedes isn't a front runner.

March prediction thread: I think we'll get the TS020
This thread: I think Mercedes will be good

A man can dream... :lol:

I think that you need to accept, just like Lewis did, that this years Mercedes isn't a front runner.
Was expecting Mercedes to be on the tail end of points for the first couple of races but have been looking forward to this race as first real chance to get a decent haul of points if they can execute a good weekend. The circuit characteristics should suit their car strengths a lot. Maybe they will still be around the fifth fastest but as long as the gap is reasonably close with the others, still will be interesting enough to watch.

Interestingly, Lewis was talking up their car strengths for this circuit today, that they have an amazing car and the goal is wins or podiums this year and thinks that they will get there.

Lewis Hamilton insists Mercedes' W15 car is not 'evil sister' of disappointing predecessors ahead of Australian GP

@Saidur_Ali Whatever it is you're smoking, sniffing or injecting, I'd love some. Every race the same baseless optimism.
It's not entirely baseless. The car looks decent enough to fight with the Astons and McLarens for 3rd best machine - in George's hands at least. Think old father time may be catching up to Lewis.

The damage to Albon's car after this mornings crash is too big to repair, Sargeant has been withdrawn and Albon will take over his chassis for the remainder of the weekend. With no 3rd chassis available.

is not having a 3rd chassis a cost thing or a rule thing? Seems harsh on Logan but Alex is Williams' best chance a scoring.

It's not entirely baseless. The car looks decent enough to fight with the Astons and McLarens for 3rd best machine - in George's hands at least. Think old father time may be catching up to Lewis.
Agreed, George was P3 then P6 this morning, Lewis P9 then P18.

The damage to Albon's car after this mornings crash is too big to repair, Sargeant has been withdrawn and Albon will take over his chassis for the remainder of the weekend. With no 3rd chassis available.

is not having a 3rd chassis a cost thing or a rule thing? Seems harsh on Logan but Alex is Williams' best chance a scoring.
Does this count as a driver replacement for GTP Fantasy? I'll take any points Alex gets when driving Logie's chassis.

Williams don't have a 3rd chassis in Australia as they just don't have one ready yet. Full team statements below.
RDT_20240322_1012194350918955149530303.jpgRDT_20240322_1012252502292844251393236.jpgRDT_20240322_1012315500606009023646475.jpgRDT_20240322_1012384441461560899697624.jpg

It's a bad situation for Williams to be in as they're damned if they do and damned if they don't when not comes to the chassis swap. This is Red Bull 2010 Silverstone again, but on a larger scale for fewer points. However, the difference here is how much a lucky 9th place will matter this season with the pace difference between the top 5 teams and the rest. Logan has been hard done by, but when you're at the back of the grid like this, the team absolutely comes first and it's the right decision.

I'm now interested in how the entry changes. Albon is driving Sargeant's chassis. So does he have to take Logan's tyre allocation and T-Cam colour? We'll have to dive into the Regs to see what the provisions for this are.

That situation at Williams sucks but goes to show Sargent is just a seat warmer. IMO, even in the name of team play, to do this to the other driver means they have absolutely no confidence in his abilities, so why is he even on the grid? Why not replace him with someone else that will be worthwhile then all this farce could have been avoided.

Just stick Sargent in an F2 car (or an F3/Academy car for that matter) it won't make any difference to where he was likely to finish.

A few sprinkles of rain this morning driving into work which isn't far from the track.

Probably won't be enough to spice things up in qualifying though as it's supposed to be clear by then. Being Melbourne though anything could happen weather wise by then.

So they couldn’t build a spare chassis in time for the 3rd race of the season. Good thing FOM kept Andretti out, they obviously couldn’t compete with this.

This free practice really reminds me of...2018, I think it was? In Spain, where the mediums were the tyre for qualifying.

I was initially on the fence about this weekend but looking at what I've seen in FP3, I think I'm going to stay up to watch qualy. This could be a really close one.

Danny Ric out in Q1 while Yuki is in Q3 again... can we get Lawson in that car please?

Got my hopes up there for a second but I should have known...was really hoping Ferrari would 1-up Max and red bull 😮‍💨

I know everyone is going to yell at me for asking this, but why is the F1 sub-reddit filled with so many pants-on-head, head-up-ass comments?

Back