Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 464 comments
Wow, the wheel landed on the head of the first driver to hit the wall after the other one was lifted up.

How did 6 drivers manage to spin off at the same time though? That's got to be pretty rare at somewhere like Eau Rouge.

I woke up last night at around 2~ish with a sneaky suspicion that something was wrong, retraced my steps of the day, only to figure out that nothing funny had happened. So the only thing left to check was those tickets. I immediately recognised the track on the ticket not being Zandvoort.

If I didn't have that weird feeling I would be looking silly next Saturday in Zandvoort.
Still gonna go tomorrow?

Ah, that would explain it. Meanwhile there has been a very nasty accident at Eau Rouge & Radillion again, W Series this time. Caused by a slippery track it seems.

Session has resumed so assume everyone is OK, but not 100% confirmed yet.

Agren and Visser in hospital for further checkups after being looked at in the medical center on track.
Considering they are going for checkups, I'd expect at least no serious injuries

How did 6 drivers manage to spin off at the same time though?
Good question, though I counted seven - after the first five, there's one spinning backwards off the inside, and then car seven comes into the scene of the five-car crash 😬

Last edited:
Another angle, very nasty.

Ooof. Nose into the broadside car's engine. Lucky - though I imagine the two large decelerations and acceleration between them didn't feel great, and neither would seeing track above her.

Yup. Had to arrange and shuffle all sort of **** but I'm going.

Does anyone have a program for tomorrow?
Spa programma 2021 in PDF Veel plezier, enjoy!

Because of the expected/usual traffic try to arrive as early as possible. If needed make a reservation for car parking!
From a local I understood they will check extra for exhaust dB's around 10PM.
So if anyone goes by bike don't forget the quiet baffles for your V&H, Akrapovic pipes ;)

==

That W series crash was horrible to see. Hope all racers involved are ok (also Aylen and Beitske after the hospital checks). Fingers crossed for them.

Last edited:
Good question, though I counted seven - after the first five, there's one spinning backwards off the inside, and then car seven comes into the scene of the five-car crash 😬
Complete speculative but in line with the previous message about the extra gravel on track the cause could be the new asphalt after the already mentioned floods? Not confirmed but it seems a kind of oil something substance in combination with the rain creates a film layer. Some spectators behind the fences noticed some extra glare on the black/grey asphalt.

Complete speculative but in line with the previous message about the extra gravel on track the cause could be the new asphalt after the already mentioned floods? Not confirmed but it seems a kind of oil something substance in combination with the rain creates a film layer. Some spectators behind the fences noticed some extra glare on the black/grey asphalt.
New asphalt and rain don't go together well, remember Turkey last year?

Not confirmed but it seems a kind of oil something substance in combination with the rain creates a film layer. Some spectators behind the fences noticed some extra glare on the black/grey asphalt.
Very worrying that there weren't red/yellow striped flags out in that case.

HAM has actually said there is a bump there that didn't used to be.

Very worrying that there weren't red/yellow striped flags out in that case.
I could be wrong but on the feed video it looks like they had the blue water animation showing on the boards. They seem to prefer that to yellow/red flag for rain these days.

Just checked again and yup, the board half way up is definitely showing that rain animation.

rain.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like the owners of Spa aren't doing enough to improve the safety of Eau Rouge - Radillion. Cars have been destroyed, drivers have been injured and one has died in the last few years. Seeing a multi-car pileup is sickening and I genuinely fear for the safety of the drivers. I fear that we'll see another death if the track isn't changed NOW. To me, it is gross negligence because the evidence is clear. There is no excuse.

I feel like the owners of Spa aren't doing enough to improve the safety of Eau Rouge - Radillion. Cars have been destroyed, drivers have been injured and one has died in the last few years. Seeing a multi-car pileup is sickening and I genuinely fear for the safety of the drivers. I fear that we'll see another death if the track isn't changed NOW. To me, it is gross negligence because the evidence is clear. There is no excuse.
They are doing 80 million worth of renovations including changes to Radillion. I'm sure they would love to snap their fingers and have it be done already but the world just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
They are doing 80 million worth of renovations including changes to Radillion. I'm sure they would love to snap their fingers and have it be done already but the world just doesn't work that way.

I didn't know this was actually happening. Thank god.

As far as I can see, they're getting rid of the wall on the GT pit straight, pushing the grandstand back, and digging away at the cliff face at Radillion? Problem is, that only works for cars losing control on the exit of Eau Rouge, not Radillion. Gravel traps work fine for bikes but not cars, so there needs to be a larger run off on the exit of Radillion, both parallel to the track and perpendicular.

Personally, I think Eau Rouge needs re-profiling to be a sharper corner - not a chicane, but slightly closer to 90 degrees that requires more of a reduction in speed.

As far as I can see, they're getting rid of the wall on the GT pit straight, pushing the grandstand back, and digging away at the cliff face at Radillion? Problem is, that only works for cars losing control on the exit of Eau Rouge, not Radillion. Gravel traps work fine for bikes but not cars, so there needs to be a larger run off on the exit of Radillion, both parallel to the track and perpendicular.

Personally, I think Eau Rouge needs re-profiling to be a sharper corner - not a chicane, but slightly closer to 90 degrees that requires more of a reduction in speed.
Both sides will be widened. Entry too barrier on the left at entry will be gone. No gravel at eau rouge. And of course there won't be any gravel close to the track anywhere. Just think of Portimao - track - curb - asphalt - asphalt - asphalt - gravel - barrier

Last edited:
Rainmeister Russell 5.5s ahead of Verstappen...

On Inters vs Wets

Rain coming, with a bunch of now-on-Inters runners having to get out, get them warm on an out-lap and get their Q1 lap in before the rain hits...

The Williams drivers seem bolstered by their success last time out, really good showing by both of them in Q1 and a very good call to start their runs on the inters. Unless the weather goes massively wonky it does seem likely that Russell will make another Q3 appearance and that Latifi stands a chance for his first Q3 appearance as well.

Back