Formula 1 Rolex Großer Preis von Österreich 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 179 comments
"Penalties have been applied as follows:
For four infringements, a 5 second time penalty; for five infringements, a 10
second time penalty. Then a “reset” has been allowed due to the excessive
number of infringements.
The counting of infringements restarts. After another
four infringements, a 5 second time penalty will apply; after five, a 10 second time
penalty."

:lol:

They should have rolled on.

Last edited:
The FIA should upload all of the violations from each driver so we know how bad they are at doing what should be one of the most basic things in racing.

Well, that's a bit farcical no matter what. What I don't get is what changed between this year and last, because I don't remember Austria '22 being quite as ridiculous as today when it came to track limit violations.
The FIA should upload all of the violations from each driver so we know how bad they are at doing what should be one of the most basic things in racing.
Honestly, this. It would be excellent transparency, it would give live examples of what does and doesn't constitute a violation (and as such make it harder to argue against), and imo it would be really interesting to see from a fan perspective.

Aston Martin, who lodged the initial appeal, must have been supremely confident that their drivers did not do enough to get penalties.

Track Limits have been applied and noted since Friday. This mess is on the drivers and the drivers only. The FIA applied it and kept applying the same rule each day, penalties were applied mid-race and drivers were repeatedly warned.

The white line didn't exactly move all weekend.

This is also on Red Bull, fix your stupid track.
How is it?
Maybe F1 should race on this type of track
1688331985662.png

Who cares if their are 24 variations of dragstrip, they're all in different locations.
This is similar to how NASCAR has many similar ovals in different states.

The solution to staying on the track is simple, anyone who has played any racing game knows.
You slow down.

Ocon managed to set a new record with 4 driving penalties this race. This breaks the tie shared by Ocon from Bahrain this year and Maldonado at Hungary in 2015 where the drivers had 3 driving penalties each.

How is it?
Maybe F1 should race on this type of track
View attachment 1270089

Who cares if their are 24 variations of dragstrip, they're all in different locations.
This is similar to how NASCAR has many similar ovals in different states.

The solution to staying on the track is simple, anyone who has played any racing game knows.
You slow down.
I dont need a lecture on how racing games and track limits work, I have reviewed more Gran Turismo replays for rules compliance than you can imagine.

I agree the drivers sucked with their lack of compliance and constant whining about the rules, but the track shares some of the blame.

I dont need a lecture on how racing games and track limits work, I have reviewed more Gran Turismo replays for rules compliance than you can imagine.

I agree the drivers sucked with their lack of compliance and constant whining about the rules, but the track shares some of the blame.

We don't need gravel that gets brought onto the track which causes more VSC or SCs

What we need is what Paul Ricard has.
That Hyper abrasive paint

With Red being most abrasive, blue being mildly abrasive, track limit line, track.
Stop with this you can put 90% of the car over it.
█████████████████

Last edited:
We don't need gravel that gets brought onto the track which causes more VSC or SCs

What we need is what Paul Ricard has.
That Hyper abrasive paint

With Red being most abrasive, blue being mildly abrasive, track limit line, track.
Stop with this you can put 90% of the car over it.
█████████████████
What they should do is put the red tarmac from Paul Ricard next to the white line on every track that has run off tarmac. Problem solved.

So... help me out here.

83 lap times deleted in total for exceeding track limits at T9/10. The policy is four deletions gives a five-second penalty, a fifth gives a ten-second penalty, and then it's reset to allow up to another four before another five-second penalty and so on.

That means the number of offences and the penalties associated with them are:

1 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - +5s
5 - +10s
6 - 0
7 - 0
8 - 0
9 - +5s
10 - +10s

That's my understanding at any rate. So, to the stewards' penalties and the number of deletions.

Alonso - 1 - no penalty
Bottas - 2 - no penalty
de Vries - 6 - 5s, 10s penalties post-race (15 total)
Gasly - 7 - 5s penalty in-race, 10s penalty post-race (15 total)
Hamilton - 6 - 5s penalty in-race, 10s penalty post-race (15 total)
Hulkenberg - 3 - no penalty
Leclerc - 2 - no penalty
Magnussen - 4 - 5s penalty in-race
Norris - 3 - no penalty
Ocon - 10 - 5s, 10s, 5s, 10s penalties post-race (30s total)
Perez - 3 - no penalty
Piastri - 3 - no penalty
Russell - 0 - no penalty
Sainz - 6 - 5s penalty in-race, 10s penalty post-race (15 total)
Sargeant - 6 - 5s penalty in-race, 10s penalty post-race (15 total)
Stroll - 3 - no penalty
Verstappen - 1 - no penalty
Zhou- 0 - no penalty

So far so good... but:
Albon - 9 - 5s penalty in-race, 10s penalty post-race (15 total); no additional 5s penalty for offence #9?
Tsunoda - 8 - 5s, 10s penalties in-race, but an additional 5s penalty post-race?

Tsunoda seems to have taken Albon's ninth-offence penalty. Which is, you know, kind. Seems odd though.

What they should do is put the red tarmac from Paul Ricard next to the white line on every track that has run off tarmac. Problem solved.
Would assume their has to be some blue in case someone gets pushed off.

Red to track edge, rear tire width of blue, white line, track.

Then the next question is can RB do the season sweep.
Unlike in years past where the question has been “Can X Dominant Team do it?” this time it feels more like “Can any other team prevent them from doing it?”

Unlike in years past where the question has been “Can X Dominant Team do it?” this time it feels more like “Can any other team prevent them from doing it?”
No one had the pace to prevent Mercedes doing it in 2016 - Lewis and Nico colliding with each other at Spain, and Lewis's engine expiring at Malaysia were what stopped them from doing it, rather than the pace of any other team.

Anyone got the number for Jean-Louis Schlesser?

Why is there always that one guy in the F1 field being so much better than everyone else? I can barely remember the last time there was a genuine rivalry making the world championship interesting throughout the season.

Why is there always that one guy in the F1 field being so much better than everyone else? I can barely remember the last time there was a genuine rivalry making the world championship interesting throughout the season.
2021. Prior to that 2014-16, then 2012, then 2010, 2005-8, then we're into the 90s.

Roo
2021. Prior to that 2014-16, then 2012, then 2010, 2005-8, then we're into the 90s.
Other than individual seasons, we are talking a while since there was a good 'era' for this sort of thing though. I'm not sold on 2014-15 but I'd agree that '10, '12, '16 and '21 were competitive years individually. I think we're very lucky that 2016 was a year where Rosberg was as good as and as combative as Hamilton; Hamilton learnt his lesson from having strong teammates like Button and Rosberg and it made the second half of the 2010s pretty boring.

Hard to point singular blame anywhere though. It's logical that the best driver will probably end up in the best car designed by the best engineers.

Roo
Funnily enough I decided not to follow F1 in 2021 because the previous seasons had been a chore with Hamilton’s dominance. Then I returned for 2022 and now it’s Verstappen.

The track, then the grass, then some gravel, then some run-off if you really need it.
The runoffs at Suzuka are the perfect example with ripple strip, AstroTurf and then tarmac. If you go a little wide you will be punished immediately because the AstroTurf doesn't have any grip.

Back