Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2019

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 244 comments
Lack of a fast teammate definitely cost Verstappen the win here, although it's going to be difficult to find a teammate as fast as him.

Now is the perfect time to swap Gasly and Kvyat. There's a 2 day test coming up, so it gives both Gasly and Kvyat time in a new car before the race weekend.

#blessed wins it.

Carlos Sainz again, yet again, showing why he's the gem of the midfield this season. He can legitimately overtake Gasly in the standings if they can keep playing their cards right, and Gasly still chokes.

Mclaren as a team seems far more fit and happier compared to seasons past. The Renault engines I don't think are bad, as much as the circle jerk wants me to believe it is. It just needs a bit more reliability.

At this point Mclaren has two drivers who are performing well.

Lando hasn't even half of Carlos' points... By Mclaren standards, Lando must be a pretty terrible driver.

What I'm getting at is, Carlos didn't really look any promising during his time at Renault, look at him now. If only teams are willing to let their drivers unfold their abilities.

Lando hasn't even half of Carlos' points... By Mclaren standards, Lando must be a pretty terrible driver.

What I'm getting at is, Carlos didn't really look any promising during his time at Renault, look at him now. If only teams are willing to let their drivers unfold their abilities.

To be fair, Carlos came to Renault and immediately started putting in points, and gave Hulk somewhat of a challenge. Lando this season just has bad luck going for him, with his botched pit stop adding another page into his rookie chapter.

Lack of a fast teammate definitely cost Verstappen the win here, although it's going to be difficult to find a teammate as fast as him.

I don't know that a fast teammate for Max would have made a difference here. The sheer race pace of Lewis in the Merc was the bigger point here. Max basically spent the majority of the race trying to run away only for Lewis to keep him in check which basically forced him to use up his tires a lot faster than he would have wanted. I mean they were both so far ahead at the end lapping everyone up to P5...I really can't see how a teammate would have helped him there.

That being said, I think Gasly is hurting Red Bull as a whole. Seeing what the car can do with Max, if they had a better driver than Gasly, I'm positive they would be #2 over Ferrari at this point. Max is single handedly fighting both Merc and Ferrari by himself.

EDIT: How come Renault as a works team always getting bested by their customer team? It was the same thing with RedBull and now they are already 43 points behind McLaren.

Last edited:

Come on, Lando is in his first year at just 19 years of age. In all honestly it's not his driving that's been holding him back, he's simply had technical problems with the car. When qualifying he's often outpaced Carlos, and when his car is running good he's been successfully challenging Carlos and others higher up in the pecking order.

I hope I'm right, but give it another couple of years and I think we'll see Lando very much as part of the next gen drivers, going wheel to wheel with the likes of Max and Charles.

Come on, Lando is in his first year at just 19 years of age. In all honestly it's not his driving that's been holding him back, he's simply had technical problems with the car. When qualifying he's often outpaced Carlos, and when his car is running good he's been successfully challenging Carlos and others higher up in the pecking order.

I hope I'm right, but give it another couple of years and I think we'll see Lando very much as part of the next gen drivers, going wheel to wheel with the likes of Max and Charles.
He's in an F1.5 car, and has already scored 2 P6 finishes in his first season, while only being 19. He has quite a few DNFs, could have had more points.
I'd say he's doing well.

Also he's a memelord, that's got to count for something, right? :lol:

Ferrari against Lewis and Max at Hungary.

giphy.gif

Wow, what a terrible showing from Ferrari. They weren't EVEN CLOSE to the leaders.

I would go as far as saying that Ferrari were closer to being caught by Sainz than they were to challenging "Red Bull" or "Mercedes" (allowing for a poor performing driver and the other getting driven into unfairly). Spa and Monza will play to their strengths more, but the rest of the season then starts to look a bit bleak...

Good to see George Russell is now able to mix it with the teams ahead, should make his Sunday afternoons more interesting. That is great work by Williams to close a gap that started the season around / over a full second a lap off the nearest rival...

I had to do a double take when i saw vettel in third i was so concentrated on VER X HAM that i forgot about ferrari

Also, a small violin for Gasly please

Vettel passed a few laps before
It was a pretty firm overtake by Vettel, if it was pre-arranged then I don't think Leclerc read the memo.
Roo
Vettel 2 stopped and was on softs for the last stint. Leclerc had 1 stopped and was on old hards, so Vettel had a pace advantage.
Edit: Sorry, no he didn't; Vettel stayed out much longer in his first stint on mediums, then put softs on for the final stint, but still had a grip advantage over Leclerc.
I've just checked the lap charts and Vettel was very definitely gaining 0.75-1s a lap on Leclerc every lap after Vettel stopped on lap 40 (bar traffic)...

... except the one in which they swapped places, two laps from the end, where Vettel gained 2.682s on Leclerc. After that (okay, for laps 69 and 70), they were right back to 0.75-1s gaps.

Vettel's overtake was rather firm, it has to be said (perhaps like the overtake of someone who is concerned for his position with a younger, possibly faster team-mate snapping at his heels and wants to put the upstart in his place as number two) but the timings really do look like Vettel wasn't quite going to make the pass before the finish line without Leclerc being told to cede it.

Not that this is a bad thing, or against any rules, and Vettel was already 21 points ahead of Leclerc in the drivers' championship. I was just surprised to see them swap places on the live timing that close to the end of the race.

Bottas is totally getting sacked. Amusingly on the topic of Gasly who is also totally getting sacked Horner was talking to DC and Welshy McWelshface (umm... Steeeeeeve... something?) before the race about the possibility of Vettel moving back to Red Bull. He said "We're very happy... with our number one driver".

They had Ricciardo but they didn´t wanted anyone who could challenge him within the team so they bullied him to change team and when acted chocked why he left.

They had Ricciardo but they didn´t wanted anyone who could challenge him within the team so they bullied him to change team and when acted chocked why he left.

Well that’s quite a load of ********. They actually wanted to keep Ricciardo and they even offered him the same salary as Max. But he still chose to go to Renault anyway.

Well that’s quite a load of ********. They actually wanted to keep Ricciardo and they even offered him the same salary as Max. But he still chose to go to Renault anyway.

If you read Mark Webber's book then you get an insight into how things work inside Red Bull. I wouldn't believe a word that Doctor Helmet says.

I've just checked the lap charts and Vettel was very definitely gaining 0.75-1s a lap on Leclerc every lap after Vettel stopped on lap 40 (bar traffic)...

... except the one in which they swapped places, two laps from the end, where Vettel gained 2.682s on Leclerc. After that (okay, for laps 69 and 70), they were right back to 0.75-1s gaps.

Fair enough, although traffic may have been more of a factor than we think. That wasn't the TV director's focus, of course. Leclerc also did 12 laps more on his second set of tyres (43 to Vettel's 31), it's possible they were simply cooked.

Here are their comparative laptimes, courtesy of https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/04...-interactive-data-lap-charts-times-and-tyres/

leclercvettel.JPG

To be honest, it doesn’t really matter what Mark Webber says in his book, his beef with Marko is irrelevant. Two completely different drivers and situations. Webber was nearing the end of his career and was not performing well compared to Vettel. Ricciardo on the other hand is arguably hitting his peak and still has plenty of years ahead of him.

All I’m saying is Dan wasn’t pushed out of Red bull, they wanted to keep him because a) he can be right there with Max in terms of results, and b) they had no better alternative within their young driver program at the time.

He left RBR on his own terms for various reasons. Saying Red Bull bullied him out is simply not true, I bet they are really missing him right now.

Last edited:
Ricciardo probably would still be at Redbull if they Blamed the correct driver in the Baku Collision.

Atleast what he has said on the matter suggests he felt he wasn't being treated the same so he looked elsewhere.

The way Merc is going, Lewis should win his 6th championship this year. Whether it's his final is entirely up to him.
He has another year on his contract. With no sign of slowing down. At this rate will easily surpass all of Michael Schumacher's records. Why would he stop?

I remember watching one of those skyf1 interviews with Dani Ric after he left RB and from what he was saying, he left Red Bull because he couldn't see a future with the team. Even though they wanted to keep him, he said Max is RB's poster/golden child and the atmosphere in the team made it obvious to him that everything and everyone in the team was rallying around Max while not explicitly make it look as though they clearly have a #1 and #2 driver. As such, He felt he had no space there unless he agreed to be Max's #2 and since that wasn't what he wanted for his career, he left. Rumor has it that his new salary at Renault kinda made it easier for him to leave since apparently RB would have never offered him that much.

Ricciardo probably would still be at Redbull if they Blamed the correct driver in the Baku Collision.

Atleast what he has said on the matter suggests he felt he wasn't being treated the same so he looked elsewhere.

They both played a part in that. Max’s 2 move defending and Dan’s late lunges is a crash waiting to happen.

They both played a part in that. Max’s 2 move defending and Dan’s late lunges is a crash waiting to happen.
Last I checked 2 moves are not allowed, but late lunges are.

Add the fact they were not fighting for the lead and Ricciardo had way more pace to get more positions up the field, he felt like had positions been reversed he would of been told to move over

To be honest, it doesn’t really matter what Mark Webber says in his book, his beef with Marko is irrelevant. Two completely different drivers and situations. Webber was nearing the end of his career and was not performing well compared to Vettel. Ricciardo on the other hand is arguably hitting his peak and still has plenty of years ahead of him.

All I’m saying is Dan wasn’t pushed out of Red bull, they wanted to keep him because a) he can be right there with Max in terms of results, and b) they had no better alternative within their young driver program at the time.

He left RBR on his own terms for various reasons. Saying Red Bull bullied him out is simply not true, I bet they are really missing him right now.
I could believe he was being treated like a number 2 while making less mistakes, being there longer, and having similar results. Just not the extreme fan support.

To be honest, it doesn’t really matter what Mark Webber says in his book,

It's the opinion of a driver who spent a long time in the team against a Red Bull Junior, I'd say it counts for something.

Webber was nearing the end of his career and was not performing well compared to Vettel.

He was never going to be allowed to, if you take his word for it.

Last I checked 2 moves are not allowed, but late lunges are.

Add the fact they were not fighting for the lead and Ricciardo had way more pace to get more positions up the field, he felt like had positions been reversed he would of been told to move over

Late lunge is just as risky. That is a move he is famous for, it was going to catch up with him sooner or later. He just did it to the wrong guy.

Back