Formula 1 SOCAR Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2019

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 188 comments
You say that but the FIA are thinking of budget capping by other means. Kravitz said during his notebook after the race on Sunday that there were rumours that the new rules wouldn't include budget caps directly but would for example limit the number of specs of a front wing a team could have throughout the year. They hope by such measures that some teams could still have much more money that others but would have anything to spend it on.

The problem with budget caps is that the big teams can just go around them, having thousands of people employed by a myriad of different companies etc etc hiding/masking spending just like multi-national companies do to avoid tax.

Even preventing number of updates would just result in the big teams doing what Merc did in testing, literally developing a brand new car prior to the first race. Which again would make it so that the smaller teams cannot compete.

I think the only way you really drive balance within the sport is to fairly distribute the prize money.

Ferrari gets more money from F1 than anyone else and has a massive budget... yet Ferrari's been beaten to constructors title for the past 10 years.

I was just typing that Ferrari recieve a 100 million dollar bonus each year for being a heritage team and just participating.

The problem with budget caps is that the big teams can just go around them, having thousands of people employed by a myriad of different companies etc etc hiding/masking spending just like multi-national companies do to avoid tax.

Even preventing number of updates would just result in the big teams doing what Merc did in testing, literally developing a brand new car prior to the first race. Which again would make it so that the smaller teams cannot compete.

I think the only way you really drive balance within the sport is to fairly distribute the prize money.

Another solution I was thinking of that engine manufacturers are required to sell their engine for a certain fixed price to clientteams at all times. Kind of a pricecap on the cost of the engine. I think in motorsports, engineering should be in building the perfect balance between chassis and power unit. Not just who has the biggest pile of money.

Last edited:
Another solution I was thinking of that engine manufacturers are required to sell their engine for a certain fixed price to clientteams at all times. Kind of a pricecap on the cost of the engine. I think in motorsports, engineering should be in building the perfect balance between chassis and power unit. Not just who has the biggest pile of money.

While that might help the smaller teams, not sure how that would address the bigger teams simply having more money and more people to develop their cars and manage their races?

While that might help the smaller teams, not sure how that would address the bigger teams simply having more money and more people to develop their cars and manage their races?

A cap is going to be controversial and difficult, so I pretty much agree with redistribution of the bonus. There is a risk that Ferrari will start crying and threaten te leave the sport though.

A cap is going to be controversial and difficult, so I pretty much agree with redistribution of the bonus. There is a risk that Ferrari will start crying and threaten te leave the sport though.

My understanding is that the tide is changing. The gap between the front and the back has grown to such an extent that from listening to a few F1 journo's the best Ferrari and Merc can do is delay, but it looks like 2021 will see a restructuring of the payments for the CC.

My understanding is that the tide is changing. The gap between the front and the back has grown to such an extent that from listening to a few F1 journo's the best Ferrari and Merc can do is delay, but it looks like 2021 will see a restructuring of the payments for the CC.

Looks good to me 👍

https://thenewswheel.com/how-formula-1-prize-structure-works-how-it-will-change-2021/

Arguably F1 could be better of without Ferrari if they keep whining about that bonus though.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Big manufacturers like Mercedes come and go. It would be a shame to lose a McLaren or Williams though because the money isn't right as they tumble down the grid.

Mercedes rightfully won't want to fire maybe hundreds of people for a lower budget. Redbull owns a second team and track to promote their brand in the sport. How would that be counted?

Back