Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 182 comments
Yeah that's pretty damning evidence, but they could have figured this out sooner. It's not like there was a whole lot going on.

If the evidence was that damning from the get-go (and it was) the penalty should have been given immediately.

I said this elsewhere but an addendum needs to be made: if a ruling isn't made before the podium celebration, where a driver finishes is where they finish. Only a grid penalty for the succeeding race can be applied.

What good is Aramco sponsorship if it won't even protect you from a penalty on home soil?

The national anthem at the start was probably one of the worst I've seen, it looked like everyone on the grid was trying to contain their laughter. The race had some potential until that ridiculous SC was called out, which made it even more of a procession. Now there's this post race penalty as the cherry on top. 3/10 for me, F2 put on a way better show.

Last edited:
SC displayed for a car outside of the track limits and safely out of the way was dumb. Waiting until the end of the race to ding Alonso seemed laughably stupid. Did they let Mohammed bin Sulayem into the stewards group for a chuckle?

The commentators were talking about what happened to Ocon and how he had 2 additional penalties stemming form not serving the first one correctly when Alonso went to serve his.

The commentators were talking about what happened to Ocon and how he had 2 additional penalties stemming form not serving the first one correctly when Alonso went to serve his.
It is perfectly fine to issue a penalty to Alonso for not serving the penalty correctly. I'm just curious why it took 30 laps to give this information to Sky F1 so it had the initial appearance that Mercedes was petitioning the stewards to penalize Alonso.

Well, I am at the back of the field this year.
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Watched the highlights. Glad to see Checo get the win, hopefully he can keep that up for the whole of the season. However, considering Max had an amazing but not-totally-unexpected comeback tour and got back to P2 before the halfway point of the race, I'm unfortunately thinking his chances aren't great, sadly. Mercedes getting a surprise P3 and P5 has to be a welcome result.

It took the F1.com page ages to update correctly
They can post the news about Alonsos penalty, yet not fix the results to reflect it.
1679257567490.png

But think of the DTS drama!

Pathetic and embarrassing in what is claimed to be the world's elite motorsport series.

Last edited:
Watched the highlights. Glad to see Checo get the win, hopefully he can keep that up for the whole of the season. However, considering Max had an amazing but not-totally-unexpected comeback tour and got back to P2 before the halfway point of the race, I'm unfortunately thinking his chances aren't great, sadly. Mercedes getting a surprise P3 and P5 has to be a welcome result.

The safety car played beautifully into Max's hands. I believe he would have worked his way up to a podium in the end regardless, the timing of the safety car made it much easier for him and took a bit of the wind out of the race.

So race control reviewed the incident initially and deemed that no penalty was needed. Then at the end of the race, race control referred the incident to the stewards, noting that there was an "agreement" with the teams that touching the car was considered working on the car and the penalty was not served correctly. In the end it turns out the "agreement" that lead to the 10 second penalty was not an actual "agreement".

Cue Benny Hill music

Race control screwed up...again.

Last edited:
«scratches head»

So... race control said it wasn't an issue in the race, then at the end of the race said it was because of a verbal agreement (that jacks touching cars is "work"), then the stewards punished that without seeing the agreement, then Aston said there wasn't an agreement, which the stewards said was new information and reviewed the decision and reversed it because there wasn't an agreement?

Seem obvious when you put it like that.

So the Merc is apparently an absolute dog according to them, yet they both finished in front of the Ferraris... Yikes.

Farce 1 is the new name for Formula 1. They somehow are making NASCAR look professional.

Back