Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 182 comments
Uh, so... congrats on 100th podium?

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-migraine.gif

FIA is gonna FIA.
Imagine how bad the jackman felt hearing that him touching the car got Alonso's was the reason why Alonso got a penalty.
Then to have a sigh of relieve hearing Alonso got 3rd place back.

Last edited:
Despite the clown show starting in race 2 already with Alonso and the Stroll safety car I got to watching the highlights as I was at work when the race was on. He didn't finish but credit to Stroll for the pass on Sainz. Hell of a job to whip it cleanly around the outside.

And can we get the FIA to ban Jos before he starts causing problems? I'm waiting for him and anyone who disagrees with Max to have it out in the pits NASCAR style at some point.

Despite the clown show starting in race 2 already with Alonso and the Stroll safety car I got to watching the highlights as I was at work when the race was on. He didn't finish but credit to Stroll for the pass on Sainz. Hell of a job to whip it cleanly around the outside.

And can we get the FIA to ban Jos before he starts causing problems? I'm waiting for him and anyone who disagrees with Max to have it out in the pits NASCAR style at some point.
FIA should ban all parents 'living out their dream through their offspring' 🤣

If anybody cares, under FACC:

1: Red Bull - 50
2: Mercedes - 33
3: Aston Martin - 18
4: AlphaTauri - 18
5: Haas - 18
6: Ferrari - 15
7: Williams - 12
8: Alpine - 12
9: Alfa Romeo - 10
10: McLaren - 6

Definitely look for Perez to get moved over if this situation comes up again.
Why? If they were going to do stuff like that, they would have done it yesterday. Wife beater needs to be reminded that he doesn't own or control the team.

If anybody cares, under FACC:

1: Red Bull - 50
2: Mercedes - 33
3: Aston Martin - 18
4: AlphaTauri - 18
5: Haas - 18
6: Ferrari - 15
7: Williams - 12
8: Alpine - 12
9: Alfa Romeo - 10
10: McLaren - 6
Always.

Why? If they were going to do stuff like that, they would have done it yesterday. Wife beater needs to be reminded that he doesn't own or control the team.
Max is being widely quoted today as saying “I am not here to finish second.”
With Daddy unhappy, son unhappy and team naturally leaning Max anyway, odds would seem to favor team orders if things get too tight at the top.

I think Red Bull are allowing Perez to accumulate as many points as he can to give them a decent buffer in the constructors championship. As soon as they have many many points for that in the bank, team orders will come in. They have always struck me as a team that likes to win the drivers championship first, as that does more for the brand and therefore sales. The constructors trophy has always seemed to be less important, as prize money for that won't be anywhere near what they can make by having the winning driver, and piggy backing his reputation and social media presence.

Now I understand a little better the horrible penalties on GT7.... They're FIA Approved!
Clown World no doubt...

I feel like they were borderline doing it yesterday. That radio message they sent to Perez asking him to do 32.6 +.4 which I interpreted as them telling him to slow down while not telling Max to do the same. Perez followed up and said why and if they asked Max to slow down as well to which the team got completely quiet. He followed up afterwards and then they said, he's ok to keep pushing. That's why I said yesterday that I'm glad Perez is showing the team that he's not a complete pushover. I don't recall Perez reporting having issues on his car so why were they asking him to slow down?

Post-race Sergio tweeted how he was happy with the result and will keep pushing because he wants to be champion. The tweet was later deleted and reposted with the part about becoming champion removed.
Not in RB’s plans at all.

Last edited:
They did try to do that softly at this stage of the season. Perhaps just testing the situation out a bit. I expect 3/4 races it's a non-issue as Max will just be ahead anyway.

I feel like they were borderline doing it yesterday. That radio message they sent to Perez asking him to do 32.6 +.4 which I interpreted as them telling him to slow down while not telling Max to do the same. Perez followed up and said why and if they asked Max to slow down as well to which the team got completely quiet. He followed up afterwards and then they said, he's ok to keep pushing. That's why I said yesterday that I'm glad Perez is showing the team that he's not a complete pushover. I don't recall Perez reporting having issues on his car so why were they asking him to slow down?
I think they just don't want to be too heavy handed yet.

I agree it's good that Perez is trying to stand up for himself for now... Time will tell how it pans out, next time if he doesn't obey they might use messages about managing the car, they will just make a slow pitstop of force his stop to be off the optimal time... really there's a lot of options for the team.

Eventually they have the Danny Ric card they can use as a replacement threat - and I wouldn't be surprised to see them actually swap the driver in the second car for the second half of the season.

Post-race Sergio tweeted how he was happy with the result and will keep pushing because he wants to be champion. The tweet was later deleted and reposted with the part about becoming champion removed.
Not in RB’s plans at all.
It will be great if he can pull it off. This feels like his best chance to do it, just consistently reliably scoring big points could do the trick. He tried to put Max under pressure after the race regarding the fastest lap even though he apparently tried to go for it too, mind games of multi 11-1. Max looked like he couldn't compute finishing second after getting a convenient safety car (I don't get why they don't just immediately enable VSC in difficult situations) and seemed miffed that Sergio had his measure in terms of speed to make any real impact on the gap. I suppose it makes sense, he is number one driver and Sergio if his race number was mistaken for Roman numerals, would make him not bad for a number two driver.

The positive this race is Aston Martin in current form look like they can be really competitive against the Red Bull on tracks that don't have long straights, sector three was a killer for them this race. It is a shame for them that the race calendar didn't start with high downforce tracks for them. Red Bull are meant to be to getting a significant update for Baku so will get a good idea how big the deficit others will have to try catch up to fight for victories on pure speed.

Impressive that Fernando Alonso nearly got the fastest lap without having a slow down lap so maybe penalty threat cost him potential to really go for it but he probably wouldn't have pushed that hard if it weren't for potential penalty he could receive. It would have been funny if he got the fastest lap after Red Bull were flexing their speed. He made up over two seconds on the race leader on the last four laps of the race, not bad for a 41 year old!

One thing that astonished me this race was hearing afterwards how many laps Oscar Piastri was on them hard tyres (I had assumed most would have pitted under the safety car if they hadn't already pitted in the race) given how relatively competitive he was at the end, incredible!

Back