Formula 1 VTB are-we-allowed-to-say-Russian? Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 283 comments
What if doesn't count.

His main competitor in this race made a colossal blunder. If Lewis has anymore luck in his racing life he starts pissing champagne. But there is no denying that Lewis and Merc did have the right calls. And luckily for the championship, so did Max and RBR.
Without the rain Hamilton could have a 14-point lead over Verstappen instead of 2 (I say 14 because Lewis absolutely would've barged his way past Lando). I'm team Max, and yes Hamilton does get colossal and often very unfair luck, but Max benefited way more today.

Without the rain Hamilton could have a 14-point lead over Verstappen instead of 2 (I say 14 because Lewis absolutely would've barged his way past Lando). I'm team Max, and yes Hamilton does get colossal and often very unfair luck, but Max benefited way more today.
* Orange suit on *

Lewis had luck, Max the skills.

:lol:

Last edited:
What if doesn't count.

His main competitor in this race made a colossal blunder. If Lewis has anymore luck in his racing life he starts pissing champagne. But there is no denying that Lewis and Merc did have the right calls. And luckily for the championship, so did Max and RBR.
His main competitor in the championship gained more from the rain which led to the blunder.

Give your head a wobble.

Without the rain Hamilton could have a 14-point lead over Verstappen instead of 2 (I say 14 because Lewis absolutely would've barged his way past Lando).
I wouldn't agree, people are putting Lando's refusal to pit down to inexperience (which is valid) but it's also a decision from someone who seemingly decided "win or bust". Based on that, if the heavens hadn't opened and Lewis tried something it would have to be something, because Lando would've fought tooth and nail for that win.

Nevermind the fact that Lando had seemed to get the measure of Lewis towards the end, but that's the ending of a tale we won't ever know... :(

Last edited:
Nice exchange between Lewis and Lando during the interview. Lando said McLaren told him the rain would stay like that the whole time before it intensified, I believe.

edit: Yep, Lando is saying the team told him it was going to stay at a drizzle.

Last edited:
Nice exchange between Lewis and Lando during the interview. Lando said McLaren told him the rain would stay like that the whole time before it intensified, I believe.

edit: Yep, Lando is saying the team told him it was going to stay at a drizzle.
Yeh, the weather was the joker in the pack - it actually looked like it had all but stopped just as Lewis was entering the pits, but clearly they must have better radar or weathermen than McLaren, but even then, I doubt they could have genuinely predicted that it would rain so heavily in the last 3 laps and hence they got pretty lucky. Lando and McLaren were in a difficult spot, and could just have easily lost if they had gone to inters, only for Lewis to stay out and the rain stay at a drizzle. Impossible situation really, but very tough for a rookie driver to lose his first race win like that.

McLaren could have been sitting on 3 race wins this season already but for some really poor luck/weather.

Dangit Lando...
GIF by SkySlope

Good result for the championship battle but I’m absolutely gutted for Lando. Very good race overall, especially for this track.

The Indycar season finale is in a couple hours too, great day of racing.

Last edited:
Remarkable drive from Max today the championship battle is still really compelling. The first lap in particular was really absorbing, some great racing moments on track. Best race of the year so far?

Remarkable drive from Max today the championship battle is still really compelling. The first lap in particular was really absorbing, some great racing moments on track. Best race of the year so far?
Best race of the year is a push, but the race was superb nonetheless, there was actually some on track action which was a nice change

What a shame for Lando, but that's how F1 goes sometimes. Amazing drive up to that point though, went from being next to Sainz to 40 seconds ahead. First good Russian GP as well although I wonder if they got the Monaco director in to help, lot's of missed action. Can't recall who it was but at one point we had to watch a battle ahead from an on-board in the small PIP, whilst the main feed was showing nothing.

Race for the title is really on like Donkey Kong.

Last edited:
I found the race largely anti-climactic until the final five laps.

Can't recall who it was but at one point we had to watch a battle ahead from an on-board in the small PIP, whilst the main feed was showing nothing.
Attention FOM:

Please stop showing two things on screen at the same time.

Yours sincerely,

Everyone

Strollol

This didn’t age well

“Lance is one of the most gifted drivers in modern Formula 1, and to that raw talent he is now adding serious racecraft,” - Szafnauer

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quickly-changing conditions for you. A real test for the drivers out there today.

Exactly what Di Resta was talking about, drivers need to know when to listen to the engineer and when to make the call themselves. He chose....poorly.

Every once in a while we see a Stroll that can be polished into an actual racer, by a decent F1 veteran, but then he does something like this again. How many times do you need to hear BOX BOX BOX to get the message?

The fact that it happened 4-5 laps from the end is what made it really challenging unlike, say, the 1999 French Grand Prix where the sudden downpour and immediate change in track conditions happened on lap 21, barely a quarterway through the race. Today there was simply just no time left to make up for any mistakes when the rain came.

With regards to the luck discussion there is of course always some aspect of luck with weather but this video shows where it was not luck

Mercedes told HAM it was going to get worse and that he must pit, Lando was told it wasn't going to get worse and it was his choice. That's what won it primarily, Merc having the correct data and pushing it to HAM who listened, vs McLaren who didn't.
Attention FOM:

Please stop showing two things on screen at the same time.

Yours sincerely,

Everyone
Well to be clear I think PIP in general is a great thing, when there are two things actually going on, and when the PIP choice is actually an on-board of someone in a battle. Today, the main feed was showing pretty much nothing whilst the PIP was on-board with one car behind two cars that were racing.

Max Verstappen walking away from this race 2 points behind Hamilton after starting at the back of the grid is huge. The rain saved him. Can't say the same for Norris though. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Back