• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 283 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1632654018212.png

Formula 1 heads for the Black Sea coast, back to the 2014 Winter Olympic Park, for the penultimate event at the Sochi Autodrom, thanks to the announcement of Igora Drive for 2023. An often criticised circuit, Sochi does have its moments and is a particular favourite of Valtteri Bottas, who is still looking for his first win of the season. Hamilton and Verstappen collided last time out at Monza, handing Max a 3-Place Grid Penalty, how will the rivalry continue? McLaren scored the first 1-2 of the season last time out, will anyone else get a surprise win. It's the home race of everyone's favourite spinning top, how will he get on at the -REDACTED- GRAND PRIX!!!
1632295068547.png

First Grand Prix
Number of Laps
Circuit Length
5.848km
Race Distance
309.745 km
Lap Record
1:35.761 Lewis Hamilton (2019)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally this is a skipper for me on principle, but this title fight is too close for skippers. Except Saudi Arabia - which will be a skipper even if it's the title decider.

I remain baffled as to how a track with so many 90 degree right handers manages to link back up with its start line - truly a space bending feat of physics.

Go McLaren, I guess?

Going by weather forecasts this has a strong potential to be Spa 2: Electric Boogaloo. Except this time spray/visibility isn't likely to be the main problem, but standing water.

Which corner will Verstappen and Hamilton collide at... place your bets...
Turn two, they touch into the chicane trying to force each other wide over the... whatever the abrasive surface is, both lose positions and collide around turn three in a midfield swamp.

Verstappen to take a new power supply (as we all expected) and will start at the back of the grid.

Verstappen to take a new power supply (as we all expected) and will start at the back of the grid.
Does this negate the 3-place grid penalty? They were talking about whether it does or not before it was confirmed, but I don't think they've returned to it since.

Last edited:
Does this negate the 3-place grid penalty? They were talking about whether it does or not before it was confirmed, but I don't think they've returned to it since.
I think so but I don't want to be erroneous here.

Giovinazzi has crashed in FP2 out of turn 9/10 to bring out a red flag.

My edits are terrible.

Last edited:
So did anything of interest happen in FPs 1 and 2? I mean, it's Sochi so some of the repainted kerbs drying counts as entertainment, but still.

So did anything of interest happen in FPs 1 and 2? I mean, it's Sochi so some of the repainted kerbs drying counts as entertainment, but still.
I also missed FP1&2 - duty calls - Only thing was the accident of Lewis in the pitbox where he by accident rammed a pitcrew member. It seems his first name is Max.

BTW: The guy is ok!!

Aside from the pit crew hunting Hamilton did, it was just the Giovinazzi crash 2/3rds of the way into FP2.

EDIT: See, I told you it's terrible. Gasly also lost his front wing from a sausage curb very late in FP2.

Last edited:
He gets his 3 place penalty, and then gets moved to the back of the grid. So it effectively negates his penalty.
I think the only way it still has an effect is if someone else gets a penalty to the back of the grid, then I think they go in order of their positions before those penalties, so then the 3 place penalty could potentially matter (but not really)

He gets his 3 place penalty, and then gets moved to the back of the grid. So it effectively negates his penalty.
I think the only way it still has an effect is if someone else gets a penalty to the back of the grid, then I think they go in order of their positions before those penalties, so then the 3 place penalty could potentially matter (but not really)
It sounds like Leclerc is getting an engine penalty too, so him and Max will be at the back. To your point it doesn't make much of a difference for Max. But it will be interesting to see 2 cars work their way through the pack.

I also missed FP1&2 - duty calls - Only thing was the accident of Lewis in the pitbox where he by accident rammed a pitcrew member. It seems his first name is Max.

BTW: The guy is ok!!
Interestingly he blamed it on the brake magic button that screwed up his Azeri GP...

Autosport understands that the pit problem in Sochi today may not have been related to the ‘magic’ button after all and that Mercedes is still looking into the exact cause.

Autosport understands that the pit problem in Sochi today may not have been related to the ‘magic’ button after all and that Mercedes is still looking into the exact cause.
Sochi's pretty hard on the brakes so that could get interesting.

Woke up, tuned into ESPN’s coverage time of FP3, hear the intro card, then cuts back to Sports Center….

Turns out FP3 was cancelled 20-30 minutes ago (from what I’ve found) due to heavy rain. Looks like Qualifying is at risk of being moved to tomorrow.

Woke up, tuned into ESPN’s coverage time of FP3, hear the intro card, then cuts back to Sports Center….

Turns out FP3 was cancelled 20-30 minutes ago (from what I’ve found) due to heavy rain. Looks like Qualifying is at risk of being moved to tomorrow.
There's been a big change in the weather and it's expected to be clear at 1.30pm local time to get going then but it can change so fast we'll have to wait and see.

Interesting that Verstappen doesn't even set a time at all. Is that even allowed? I think they have to ask special permission to start in that case, which is almost always given if there is a good reason for not setting a time, but if you're doing it by choice?

Last edited:
If wikipedia is accurate, the 107% rule applies only if the Q1 session is dry.

edit:
I'm guessing this means declared wet at any point:
"Beginning with the 2018 season, the regulations were amended so that the 107% rule would not be enforced if the track was declared wet by the race director during qualifying."

Last edited:
Back