2. ORLANDO, FLORIDA, APR 27 - 28
  3. ATLANTA, GEORGIA, MAY 11 - 12
  4. WALL, NEW JERSEY, JUN 1 - 2
  5. MONROE, WASHINGTON, JUL 20 - 21
  6. ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI, AUG 10 - 11
  7. DALLAS, TEXAS, SEP 14 - 15
  8. IRWINDALE, CALIFORNIA, OCT 12 - 13

Last edited:
I'm optimistic for this season. I got really into FD back when Saito first came over, but lost interest last year when he and Yokoi didn't return. Also got sick of the politics and judging :lol:

I've heard rumors that both Saito and Yokoi are coming back this year...can anyone confirm? Also, should be cool to see James Deane and that other kid he's teamates with, some Scandinavian name I can't pronounce or spell :dunce: Deane is a beast in the chase postion, will be interestin to see if he can show his stuff while still keeping up to the stupid fast guys.

Anyone know what Aasbo will be driving this year? That TC of his is getting pretty old. I'm hoping to see him in a RCF or LC, or an LFA...or even a Mark X...although, big body is not exactly Aasbo's style.

Interesting... was waiting for something like this.

Anyone know what Aasbo will be driving this year? That TC of his is getting pretty old. I'm hoping to see him in a RCF or LC, or an LFA...or even a Mark X...although, big body is not exactly Aasbo's style.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebadged TC, and the drift LFA was just a one off thing back in D1GP, I doubt we'll see more like that, unfortunately

Interesting... was waiting for something like this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebadged TC, and the drift LFA was just a one off thing back in D1GP, I doubt we'll see more like that, unfortunately
Probably right. I hadn't even considered the need to rebadge the TC, but you're totally right, Scion is no more :lol:

For Aasbo, I think some sort of Lexus would be the coolest. Would love to see what Papadakis could do with whatever powerplant the flagship Lexus are running. What he's done with that Sienna 4-banger is jaw dropping :eek:

Terrible idea to run at Orlando again, that place is an absolute mess and easily the worst venue on the calendar. Heard rumors Aasbo will have a clone of his European GT86 this year built by Papadakis with the TC's 2AR grenad...err, engine program.

Don't know where you guys heard the Yokoi/Saito rumors, but Yokoi is pretty much in bed with Yokohama and since they've cancelled their FD plans there's no way Yokoi will come back for now. Same for Saito and Wanli.

I'm pretty bummed Forrest Wang has decided to call it quits for this year, he was one of the most interesting drivers to watch and had, IMO, the nicest car on the grid.

I was not aware of that. Sucks.

Yeah, he posted both his S14 and S15 for sale on Instagram a few weeks ago and made a comment about how he was not competing pro this year, he'll be doing stuff like VegasDrift and what not. I know he was pretty livid after the NJ event last year and even briefly announced his retirement from the series... He has spoken many times about how hard it is for a privateer with a smaller budget to compete against guys like Aasbo or Gittin with multi-million dollar budgets and sponsorships, and how the judging is supposedly biased towards these guys. Makes sense from a business standpoint, but as a fan that pays 50$ plus to get in the stands, it's not a good thing to lose one of your most popular drivers.

Also newsworthy:

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/2017/01/12/josh-robinson-is-coming-to-formula-drift/

Terrible idea to run at Orlando again, that place is an absolute mess and easily the worst venue on the calendar. Heard rumors Aasbo will have a clone of his European GT86 this year built by Papadakis with the TC's 2AR grenad...err, engine program.
I agree Orlando is terrible :yuck:

I think there should be an event in Florida...why not Daytona? Either something around the Western Horseshoe area

Or at the other end in the camping area

Bring in some portable grand stands, use Jersey barriers to make some walls to spice it up a little, and then because it's Daytona, make a big show out of it.

Don't know where you guys heard the Yokoi/Saito rumors, but Yokoi is pretty much in bed with Yokohama and since they've cancelled their FD plans there's no way Yokoi will come back for now. Same for Saito and Wanli.
It was months ago that I heard anything. I don't even remember where I heard it to be honest...probably just my own wishful thinking :lol:

I'm pretty bummed Forrest Wang has decided to call it quits for this year, he was one of the most interesting drivers to watch and had, IMO, the nicest car on the grid.
Did not know that either, that really sucks :( Ive always loved watching Forest drive. He has such a unique style, but I think it's either under appreciated or not well suited for the current FD criteria, which is a shame.

Daytona's probably out of their league as far as budget goes, I can't imagine they'd rent it for free. They could, if they really want an FD event in Florida, make it the season opener and run with Indycar/PWC and whatnot at St-Petersburgh. Or try for Homestead or Sebring.

Honestly, anywhere would be better than Orlando...

Nice to see a FD thread on the motorsports forum. I really like drifting as much as I like Racing

This year (and as always) i'm looking forwars to see how Chris Forsberg will do because he's one of my favourite drifters and is really consistent. Also drives one of my favourite drift cars, wich is the 370z so really looking forward to what he can pull off this year.

And also:
This is how James Dean and his teammates car will look like to compete in this years FD championship

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
There's an actual round in Canada?

Daytona's probably out of their league as far as budget goes, I can't imagine they'd rent it for free. They could, if they really want an FD event in Florida, make it the season opener and run with Indycar/PWC and whatnot at St-Petersburgh. Or try for Homestead or Sebring.

I don't keep up with FD as fervently as some others, but my assumption with the management of FD as a whole is that they are a pretty small time organization, and they're somewhat over their heads. So they go to the small tracks, and try to build relationships. And when something happens (Irwindale closing their doors being a good example) they start to panic.

Typical short track pit area. We've got a HUGE stack of tires in the back of ours as well.

The first year was pretty bad for the Canadian round, only 8 drivers made it up here, the year after that only 12, but last year most of the field came up because the round counted towards the championship. Same deal this year I believe, so I expect pretty much everyone will be there. St-Eustache is getting a bit old and will be due for a revamp soon, and it's maybe a bit small for 1000hp drift cars, but there aren't many places that are willing to host a drift event of that magnitude around here.

Typical short track pit area. We've got a HUGE stack of tires in the back of ours as well.

Of course, but when your championship goes to world class venues like Road Atlanta and Texas Motor Speedway, it's a bit out of place.

That'd sad to hear.

I said a while ago on some different sites that FD to too big too fast. Trying to attract world class drivers, have a world championship which took place on opposite sides of the world, no limits or restrictions on build budgets....all with offering chump change for prize money, and zero support from the sanctioning body for the competitors.

Look at V8SC. When they go to Taz or NZ, the series pays for the freight!

I love drifting, and want to see FD do well, but it's so frustrating at times.

Interesting article on SpeedHunters about some very significant and drastic changes coming to IDC this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/02/are-these-the-rule-changes-that-drifting-needs/

Personally, I think every one of them is brilliant, and is exactly the shake up pro drifting needs. Tires that last more than one run, less down time, drift train demos and team comps, drift games. IDC has been one of my favorite championships the last couple of years, and this is going to make 2017 very exciting 👍

Interesting article on SpeedHunters about some very significant and drastic changes coming to IDC this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/02/are-these-the-rule-changes-that-drifting-needs/

Personally, I think every one of them is brilliant, and is exactly the shake up pro drifting needs. Tires that last more than one run, less down time, drift train demos and team comps, drift games. IDC has been one of my favorite championships the last couple of years, and this is going to make 2017 very exciting 👍
Am I wrong in wishing Formula D would adopt some of these? It would good on livesetreams (well, until I have to use the bathroom LOL) and it would give events more of a party atmosphere

They've been running that car for several seasons now.

Dean-Kearney.jpg

I know but as @Silver Arrows showed that is the more profound time I remember a Viper, when Sam Hubinette ran them for Dodge, and Rhys ran the GTO. I haven't noticed the viper from recent cause it's not nearly as memorable as the more consistent front runners.

I also remember the 69 Camaro under Falken that was used for a short time. That was interesting.

Back