Formula One Unveils New Logo For 2018 Season

"""Alfa Romeo"""... just Sauber rebranding their engines because Ferrari is damn tired of their awful results.

Some other "fake names" for F1 engines?
· McLaren-TAG used Porsche engines because the German hypocrites did not want to show everybody they actually cared about F1.
· Arrows-Megatron used BMW engines from the years before.
· Williams-Mecachrome, Benetton-Playlife and BAR-Supertec all used Renault engines from 1998 in 1999 after the French left.
· Benetton kept doing that in 2000 with slightly evolved engines and Arrows joined in (Williams went for BMW engines and BAR started working with Honda).
· Prost-Acer (2001) used Ferrari engines because the Italians knew the cars would suck so they did not want their name in those cars
· Red Bull failed to convince Renault to be able to use the name Infiniti (company owned by Nissan, a tight partner of Renault) for their engines.

Just for what it's worth, with no official backing Megatron, Mecachrome, Supertech and Asiatech probably couldn't use the names of BMW, Renault and Peugeot respectively due to copyright infringements and other legal reasons.

In the case of Prost-Acer and Minardi-European, also from the 2001 season, naming rights are a thing which exist. Benetton did that with their Supertec engines by calling them Playlife. You interestingly failed to point out that Sauber's first stint using Ferrari engines were Sauber-Petronas which was also due to naming rights.

It happens in other sports. With football stadiums, for example. Arsenal don't literally play at a ground built by Emirates Airways or located on Emirates Road but it is called the Emirates Stadium due to sponsorship. Prost were not literally using engines built by Acer but they were using engines to which Acer had purchased naming rights.

In almost every example the sponsor involved is also involved with the team in another way; Playlife was Benetton's main sponsor, Acer was Prost's official technical partner, European was Minardi owner Paul Stoddart's charter airline company and Petronas was Sauber's official oil and lubricants supplier.

The new logo looks kind of cool, but it's not very creative.

A fun thing about F1 is that if you spell it FORMULA ONE, you can almost see the silhouette of an F1 car, with the two O's being the wheels. Add an air intake and a wing and you're basically there.

Here's a quick concept:

f1.png

I would like to see what a proper logo designer could do with this idea. I think it could actually look pretty good.

To the official logo:
What an uninspiring and ugly logo. Does this come straight out of a kindergarten class or something?

This may be one of the only times where F1 is the “little guy” being picked on by a giant company. :lol:

Or they sponsor compression tights that all the drivers are legally required to wear during the race weekend. "Your honor, we'll rest this case...if F1 agrees to put all of its pit crews and drivers in our Futuro tights."

I much prefer the new logo. I never like the old logo. If Liberty media loses, I really hope they have a good alternative for the current design.

Reminds me of the new Juventus Logo. Which I rather dont like, because there was nothing wrong with the old one.

They stand a good chance of winning, for one 3M are one of the largest and wealthiest companies in the world and two, they filed the patent for it before Liberty did! Somebody has messed up big time.

They stand a good chance of winning, for one 3M are one of the largest and wealthiest companies in the world and two, they filed the patent for it before Liberty did! Somebody has messed up big time.

A free sponsorship deal could possibly be also a good settlement, but indeed a big fail for liberty media.

I much prefer the new logo. I never like the old logo. If Liberty media loses, I really hope they have a good alternative for the current design.

Reminds me of the new Juventus Logo. Which I rather dont like, because there was nothing wrong with the old one.
All that will happen if/when FOM looses the case is that they'll end up paying 3M for the right to use the logo. I can't see why 3M would work to prevent them from using the logo, it doesn't clash with anything they are doing and they could earn a lot of money by leasing out the design.

Back