Formula One Unveils New Logo For 2018 Season

Obviously they are going to change every year or every few years so they can sell more merchandise. It is money grabbing, but it does keep it fresh every so often. It is an improvement over the old one though.

I really don't think it looks that bad. Although, I have seen some better variations of it made by people online (some of those in this very forum).

Can I copy your homework? Ya just don't make it look too obvious:

cnn-logo.jpg

To me it reads like "A TradeMark" and not "F1 TradeMark".

I really don't know who came up with this abomination of a logo, but the mission here was "make me a new logo, make it cheap and make it snappy" or so it seems.

I totally understand the changing of the logo. When a new owner comes in, particularly given Liberty Medias background, an image change through modernisation is near inevitable.

For me the new logo looks like 'r1' not F1 and I am not a fan of the typeface used for 'Formula 1'.

However, it certainly looks more contemporary than the outgoing 23 year old classic, which although imaginative and cleverly designed, is starting to date with the text below the logo being the worst culprit. The old logo is far more appealing but needed to be brought up to date as it is a product of a different media age.

I put together some designs which I think get the F1 name across far better which is surely the objective.

Formula 1 logo 2018 Options v1.png

It's very 'Wipeout', personally I don't think it looks bad per say but its doesn't have a lot of originality or character like its predecessor. Looks like it was designed by committee to be down with the kids. Colouring the 1 Red does go a long way to improve it as @Scuderia Paul mocked up.

The old one was also interesting/clever with the use of an invisible 1, I was guilty of the following for many years... :sly:
FnP0e7d.png

I kinda still have a soft spot for the 90's logo.

formula_1_world_championship_2.jpg

Last edited:
I love the new logo! It's clean, simple, modern, and will work well across all platforms both digital and physical at varying sizes. I imagine there is also more scope to animate it which they may be looking at for digital use.

Seems like I’m going to be in the minority and say that it looks better than the current one then.

One of the reasons is that I’m one of those who, like Robin, mistook the strokes behind the actual ‘1’ as the number ‘1’. The new logo just makes it look more simplistic and understandable, at least to me.

To me it’s a pretty nice move, from a marketing point of view. Although it could be a bit better, like the second one in Scuderia Paul’s post.

And I’m still struggling to comprehend why some people are saying Liberty Media copied CNN for their logo.

As an icon for social media avatars, it looks like a red smudge. Absolutely nothing about it stands out and makes you instantly aware of what it is or represents.

Not a fan of it, looks too much like a ESPN logo (which will be taking over F1 broadcasting rights in 2018 for the US.)

download.png

I totally understand the changing of the logo. When a new owner comes in, particularly given Liberty Medias background, an image change through modernisation is near inevitable.

For me the new logo looks like 'r1' not F1 and I am not a fan of the typeface used for 'Formula 1'.

However, it certainly looks more contemporary than the outgoing 23 year old classic, which although imaginative and cleverly designed, is starting to date with the text below the logo being the worst culprit. The old logo is far more appealing but needed to be brought up to date as it is a product of a different media age.

I put together some designs which I think get the F1 name across far better which is surely the objective.

I've seen so many redesigns in other forums that complain about the new logo but don't offer anything better, but those designs you posted are the best that I've seen so far, good job!

GARBAGE! The designer probably got paid 1 mill for this rubbish. The outgoing design was perfect. I guess this is a good time to mention Alfa Romeo are officially coming back to F1!

GARBAGE! The designer probably got paid 1 mill for this rubbish. The outgoing design was perfect. I guess this is a good time to mention Alfa Romeo are officially coming back to F1!
"""Alfa Romeo"""... just Sauber rebranding their engines because Ferrari is damn tired of their awful results.

Some other "fake names" for F1 engines?
· McLaren-TAG used Porsche engines because the German hypocrites did not want to show everybody they actually cared about F1.
· Arrows-Megatron used BMW engines from the years before.
· Williams-Mecachrome, Benetton-Playlife and BAR-Supertec all used Renault engines from 1998 in 1999 after the French left.
· Benetton kept doing that in 2000 with slightly evolved engines and Arrows joined in (Williams went for BMW engines and BAR started working with Honda).
· Prost-Acer (2001) used Ferrari engines because the Italians knew the cars would suck so they did not want their name in those cars
· Red Bull failed to convince Renault to be able to use the name Infiniti (company owned by Nissan, a tight partner of Renault) for their engines.

Ha. Nice try. The TAG Porsche engine was developed by Porsche it had their name on it and on the car. It was called TAG Porsche because TAG PAID for its development.

Latest Posts

Back