FORZA 3 not a Sim according to KY?

• Thread starter PAPPACLART
  • 220 comments
I've been playing Forza 3 with the MS wheel and it's pretty difficult, much more difficult than with the controller. It's almost as if it has different physics with the wheel.

For me it is the exact opposite. I can't stand FM3 with the controller. There simply is not enough feedback or precision. At least with the MS wheel (even though it is a Fisher Price toy is disguise) I get some form of control. I am sure with the Fanatec 911 wheel FM3 is a lot more "sim" feeling. I think the main problem is the difficulty to make certain cars oversteer when I let off the gas, chuck the wheel in, floor it, apply opposite lock, and throttle out (mostly this is in AWD cars like the STi). I think they handled weightiness and weight transfer really well in FM3. Each car really feels like a hunk of metal on the road. This is perhaps where GT5p is lacking. IDK... my head hurts.

The fact is that the professionals are not a reliable source for such a conclusion. Ironically, the random gamer with nothing to gain is probably more reliable.

Someone even posted a vid where a nascar driver tried to use wall riding trick to win because it worked in video game. I do not know if this tells us that drivers trust simulators too much or nascar drivers are just stupid :)

I don't trust them. Why? Just look at that video. More than half of it is advertising. I believe they just praised Forza 3 for the extra hits. From the amount of advertising, they do look that desperate. Of course that may not be true, but remember my words if they praise GT5 as the best thing since sliced bread, again, just for the extra hits.

Thanks for Necromancing my (then) three-week old post 👍

Let's be honest here, you don't trust them because they happen to like Forza 3 and they didn't rate GT5 Prologue higher than Forza 2. Yes, they have a lot of ads on their show. So what? So do sites like IGN and other game reviewers. How do you expect them to stay in business? This is the most in-depth review of Forza 3 I have seen, and it seems fairly objective to me. How is praising Forza 3 going to get them "extra hits" anyway? I fail to see the logic in that. If they killed Forza 3 it would have gotten them the same amount of hits, if not more. For the moment, Forza 3 is the best sim on a console. When GT5 is released, maybe it will supplant Forza 3. Only time will tell.

Someone even posted a vid where a nascar driver tried to use wall riding trick to win because it worked in video game. I do not know if this tells us that drivers trust simulators too much or nascar drivers are just stupid :)
That seems a bit far fetched, are you sure that a: he was wall riding deliberately, b: that the driver figured because it worked in a game and he thought it would work in real life too and c: do you have this video?

Thanks for Necromancing my (then) three-week old post 👍

Let's be honest here, you don't trust them because they happen to like Forza 3 and they didn't rate GT5 Prologue higher than Forza 2. Yes, they have a lot of ads on their show. So what? So do sites like IGN and other game reviewers. How do you expect them to stay in business? This is the most in-depth review of Forza 3 I have seen, and it seems fairly objective to me. How is praising Forza 3 going to get them "extra hits" anyway? I fail to see the logic in that. If they killed Forza 3 it would have gotten them the same amount of hits, if not more. For the moment, Forza 3 is the best sim on a console. When GT5 is released, maybe it will supplant Forza 3. Only time will tell.

What makes you think I'm not being honest? I'm always honest here. That's the thing about forums. You get to say what you think with little to no consequences. No strings attached. No reason to hide anything. You can over-simplify things and call me a GT fanboy, bla, bla, bla, like you did... or you can realize that not everyone that doesn't blindly praise forza is a GT sucker.

The reason I don't trust them is, as I stated before, the ungodly amount of advertising and, shall I add, their sudden good will towards console sims. They never cared about console sims before. However, when a hyped console sim is close to be released they suddenly praise it to no end. You're trying to tell me that literally more than half of the video being advertising is just coincidence? Talk about being naive... Sure it's not conclusive by any means, but as I'm doing now, I was just trying to let you and others know why I think people should take that review with a grain of salt. No stealth GT fanboysm. No deception. Just what I honestly believe.

What makes you think I'm not being honest? I'm always honest here. That's the thing about forums. You get to say what you think with little to no consequences. No strings attached. No reason to hide anything. You can over-simplify things and call me a GT fanboy, bla, bla, bla, like you did... or you can realize that not everyone that doesn't blindly praise forza is a GT sucker.

The reason I don't trust them is, as I stated before, the ungodly amount of advertising and, shall I add, their sudden good will towards console sims. They never cared about console sims before. However, when a hyped console sim is close to be released they suddenly praise it to no end. You're trying to tell me that literally more than half of the video being advertising is just coincidence? Talk about being naive... Sure it's not conclusive by any means, but as I'm doing now, I was just trying to let you and others know why I think people should take that review with a grain of salt. No stealth GT fanboysm. No deception. Just what I honestly believe.

Your reasoning for dismissing this review is totally baseless. Where is the evidence that they deliberatly mis-rate products because they are paid to do so...

If they are so inclined, there would be a raft of evidence in the Sim Racing community that easily shows that they cannot be trusted..

You may think you are not being a stealth GT Fanboy, but somehow you have taken a site that has a favourable review of the game by a site that is focussed towards sim racing, and have categorically stated that they can't be trusted and that their review should be taken with a pinch of salt, with the main reasoning being that one of their funding avenues is paid advertising, which ironically is the main income of almost all review sites.

Oh, and they started featuring consoles 2 years ago with FM2 Vs GT5p and also Race Pro.. in fact all the more serious games of late..

Of course, I don't believe totally any review site because primarily they will have different review criteria to my own, however, I take on board reviews, and pick out what is/isn't relevant to me..

Unless you provide categorical proof of their consistent advertising biased reviewing, then I'd suggest that people dismiss your opinion as just baseless conjecture..

Niether. It was the only chance he (Carl Edwards) had to win the race, (against Jimmie Johnson) slim as it was, so he tried it.

On the the last lap, by hardly braking, he passed Johnson going into corner three, but bumped the wall off four and lost too much momentum, allowing Johnson to pass him back for the win.

Your reasoning for dismissing this review is totally baseless. Where is the evidence that they deliberatly mis-rate products because they are paid to do so...

If they are so inclined, there would be a raft of evidence in the Sim Racing community that easily shows that they cannot be trusted..

You may think you are not being a stealth GT Fanboy, but somehow you have taken a site that has a favourable review of the game by a site that is focussed towards sim racing, and have categorically stated that they can't be trusted and that their review should be taken with a pinch of salt, with the main reasoning being that one of their funding avenues is paid advertising, which ironically is the main income of almost all review sites.

Oh, and they started featuring consoles 2 years ago with FM2 Vs GT5p and also Race Pro.. in fact all the more serious games of late..

Of course, I don't believe totally any review site because primarily they will have different review criteria to my own, however, I take on board reviews, and pick out what is/isn't relevant to me..

Unless you provide categorical proof of their consistent advertising biased reviewing, then I'd suggest that people dismiss your opinion as just baseless conjecture..

If you look at his posting history, that will explain why he disapproves of any positive FM3 review, or FM review for that matter.

Well now that I'm level 50 in Forza with 52% completion, I think I've finally figured out why driving in Forza, Forza 2 and Forza 3 feels strange and awkward. I mean anyone that has any reasonable driving experience in real life in a car that has more than 150hp, will know that Forza isn't a simulation, it tries hard to be but falls short.

Why does it feel strange and awkward until you've played for at least an hour?

THERE'S NO WEIGHT SHIFTING.

Feint Motion to turn a corner doesn't work.

Categorical proof? I'm not affirming they did lie in the review. I'm just exposing my thoughts and I made that very clear. I can't prove anything and I never claimed to be able to. Notice the sentences: "...that may not be true...", "...it's not conclusive..." and "...I think...". It's a conjecture exactly. Should it be dismissed? That's up to reader.

I've been told I could trust those guys. That they could be taken seriously since they are sim experts. However, from what I could see they are just like the big reviewers. The reason I don't trust them is the same reason I don't trust IGN, Eurogamer or any other big reviewer for that matter. They are in for the money first and that's why I always take their reviews with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Well now that I'm level 50 in Forza with 52% completion, I think I've finally figured out why driving in Forza, Forza 2 and Forza 3 feels strange and awkward. I mean anyone that has any reasonable driving experience in real life in a car that has more than 150hp, will know that Forza isn't a simulation, it tries hard to be but falls short.

Why does it feel strange and awkward until you've played for at least an hour?

Feint Motion to turn a corner doesn't work.

I have not played FM3 yet so your insight into weight shifting is enlighting. Is it also the same in lift off oversteer? Are you playing controller or wheel? So many physics based questions :scared: I still rate the Burnout/low speed physics in FM2 as better than any in GT though !

Russtic @ FM.net brought up an interesting observation that there's a built in steering assist in FM3 regardless of the cars:

Turn10 seems to take pride in building a great physics engine all while allowing you to add layers of driving aids to help you learn to drive, thats great, but why O why are there still driving aids that you cannot turn off? I have tried everything I can think off and there is no option to get rid of FM3's Active Steering aid. They have this great tire physics model yet they insist on completely nurfing the driving simulation by having the game steer for you. If you get at all side ways the game takes over and starts countersteering for you. This is a perfectly understandable aid for people who use the standard controller but there should be an option in the advanced wheel settings that allows us to adjust linearity to the point where we can have complete linear control over the steering.

I was hoping the active steering would go away with the Fanatec 900 degree wheel but that seems to be not the case as its still very prevalent. We have had console sims with a fixed steering ratio with a 900 degree wheel since 2004. Even other racing games on the 360, that are not trying as hard to be a sim, offer a linearity slider option. I know for a fact Dirt 2 and Test Drive Unlimited have a linearity slider. It should not be You->Steering wheel->Active Steering aid ->Tires->Road. That active steering aid is like a chastity belt on Megan Fox, its a 7foot 400lbs man sitting in front of you in a theater playing Lord of The Rings, its a U-haul truck blocking you from going more than 20mph on the Nurburgring. Get out of the WAY!

There seems to be some other steering shenannigans making the steering feel off, I am suspect the active steering changes the ratio based on your speed as well. I also suspect there is, not quite a center deadzone, but a center softzone where it seems to greatly reduce your steering input near the center. FM3 seems to have a steelier physics model, I just wish they would allow us to fully experience it. May we please have a fixed steering ratio option?

C/N: Active Steering aid needs an off switch

Here's a few videos using MS wheel showing that the assist is on both racing and road cars even though the driving aids are off (compare the wheel on the telemetry to the one on the car):

[YOUTUBEHD]sFT0zlVZVsw[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]7F4MD7D2FiY[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]VKL-hlQa0Hc[/YOUTUBEHD]

Looking at the last video, is that the maximum steering lock you can achieve? Wheels don't appear to have all that much angle.

I have not played FM3 yet so your insight into weight shifting is enlighting. Is it also the same in lift off oversteer? Are you playing controller or wheel? So many physics based questions :scared: I still rate the Burnout/low speed physics in FM2 as better than any in GT though !

I've got a pretty huge collection of cars at the moment. So I think I can answer your question reasonably well. I'm using the Xbox360 wired controller. I'm sorry I just can't justify spending money on a wheel for the Xbox while I wait to purchase a G25/G27. The physics is there to a point, like the tire contact and wear etc is there, but there's just some things that are exxagerated and some that aren't. Liftoff oversteer just isn't present in the game. A Ford GT, Ferrari F430, Honda / Acura NSX and Toyota MR2 drive more like an FR layout car. As to my comment on Weight Shifting, the lack of it seems to make most cars incredibly easy to drift. I was in a near bone-stock Toyota AE86 and later an Altezza 200 and simply just turning hard under acceleration would cause me to drift.

Low speed physics is definitely Forza's strong point.

However I will admit that I haven't spent a lot of time in either Forza or GT5 : Prologue at low speeds to compare.

I hope I answered your question there.

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to add that the Porsches with the RR layout are incredibly easy to drive. From what I've read and heard over my life time I understand that Porsches by their nature are difficult to learn to drive, their unique layout compared to most other cars makes them challenging. However an experienced driver with a Porsche can do things that other cars can only dream of. I kind of expected that the RR layouts would be difficult to grasp in Forza 3 but it wasn't the case. I don't know if this differs in any respects to Forza 1 or 2 though. I do know that the 1987 Yellow Bird RUF in GT4 was a complete and utter handful from personal experience and that I gave up trying to drive the car while others swear by it.

I hope my attempt at explaining my feelings on the game doesn't stop you from buying it. It's a really good game and I do like it even if my review appears really negative. I'm really enjoying at the moment, however I will admit I'm changing between cars a lot to keep things fresh because of the 7+ lap races in a particular class of car. You won't regret buying it and it'll certainly keep you entertained until GT5 comes out if you're planning on buying GT5.

Last edited:
I myself have tuned a couple of cars in Forza2 very excessively and was kindly enough granted access to some of the best LB cars in late Forza 2 history. So I can savely say

In Forza 2, there definitely was weight shifting, oh yes, and I strongly assume they still have it in Forza 3. If FFB with a wheel makes it apparent I can't say, but I beg to differ.

Is it also the same in lift off oversteer?

Again, in Forza 2 I was running a very competitive Border MR2 with rather spot on handling setup for Mugello. You simply had to get the corner entry speed right, because at the limit it suffered from lift off oversteer.

The opposite was quite apparent in the Seat Leon - lift off understeer at corner entry.

Sorry I forgot to add that the Porsches with the RR layout are incredibly easy to drive. From what I've read and heard over my life time I understand that Porsches by their nature are difficult to learn to drive,

I kind of expected that the RR layouts would be difficult to grasp in Forza 3 but it wasn't the case.

In Forza 2 they totally got RWD in general wrong. Maybe they were too strongly influenced by American muscle, but RWD and high power doesn't equal insane oversteer in European cars.

Now RR is a bit a peculiar concept but Porsche has gone through great length not only by assists but by design to ensure there is a safety margin wide enough that approaching the limit in a Porsche doesn't kill you straight away. The have Walter Röhrl, German rallye legend, extensively (road) testing since the late 90s, and Porsches have changed quite a bit since then.

I myself have been a passenger in a Porsche Cup Racer and spent many hours with RL Porsche enthusiasts in Forza 2 tweaking the cars true to their RL counterparts.

They all agreed when setup correctly the Porsche gave a fair representation of the real thing. Not brilliant, still suffering from the RWD madness Forza2 was, but good enough. I don't think that has changed fundamentally other than the California in the demo seemed far too good natured.

If you treat the car like a total imbecile, it should bite back.
From what I learned, there really are some assists working pretty hard to prevent this. Where Forza 2 was too extreme, Forza 3 (demo) is way too tame.

To conclude my rant:

Setups break or make the game, a fact which seems to be heavily overlooked because Forza simply isn't GT.

My struggle with the Forza franchise is, that setups can be used to cheat, to abuse the integrity of the simulation, to be able to overstep the line between getting the optimum out of any car and turning each ride into a magic carpet.

I'm not sure this has been fixed by Forza 3, and judging by some LB times at the moment, there are still some issues.

It's not the game I want it to be, it doesn't give me the kind of realism I want, it doesn't offer the type of gameplay I came to love with GT4.

But still, credit where credit is due.

I wonder why some people experience weight shifting, lift off oversteer, and low as well as high speed physics, easy to drive RR Porsches and then some people don't. I wonder if it's their controller, or their lack of experience to notice?

One of the best way to test the car weight distribution is to spin it around: find a flat area of a track (in FM3 use the Benchmark HSR A). While idling, shift to the 1st gear, turn the steering all the way to one side, mash the gas (although in both FM3 and GT5P, as with most cars there's rev limiter so try to maintain a high enough rev without redlining).

For example a Ferrari F430 (MR- mid engine rear drive), would literally spin on a dime because of the weight distribution. It should be much harder with Ferrari 599 due to the front mounted engine. With a rear mounted engine Porsche, it would be similar ot the F430 but after a few rotations, there should be a pull towards the back.

With AWD, depending on where the engine is mounted you can get pretty interesting spins. The R8 would almost spin on its centre axis. The R35 GTR on the other hand would spin mostly on its front.

Of course all test are done without assists and with stock tires (IRL).

I find that it's easier to do the this test in FM2 than FM3 because of the assist steering in FM3 (limiting oversteering). But if you keep the rev counter well away from redlining, it's possible to a degree.

Yes , it was just good to see an opinion on it from Rage o329 and Itshim (thanks BTW for the input on other side of the physics dilemma). IRL the weight shift is the initial lurch or movement of the car (body roll) on its suspension and tyrewall when you turn in that gives you the sense that "here we go better hang on!!!!" feeling thats missing in alot of sims. The lift off oversteer in cars like the NSX etc sould be near impossible to master at race pace as the high levels of speed and grip are distrupted by lifting of the throttle abruptly.......found in GT5p spec 1....and any video of Senna driving the first NSX at Suzuka....and any old Best Motoring Tsuchia/NSX clip!

Weight shift is very noticeable when considering the tire deformation physics as well. It's there, and it's pretty good. Not as good as Race Pro, but it's good.

Sorry I forgot to add that the Porsches with the RR layout are incredibly easy to drive. From what I've read and heard over my life time I understand that Porsches by their nature are difficult to learn to drive, their unique layout compared to most other cars makes them challenging. However an experienced driver with a Porsche can do things that other cars can only dream of. I kind of expected that the RR layouts would be difficult to grasp in Forza 3 but it wasn't the case. I don't know if this differs in any respects to Forza 1 or 2 though. I do know that the 1987 Yellow Bird RUF in GT4 was a complete and utter handful from personal experience and that I gave up trying to drive the car while others swear by it.

I agree. In FM3 across the board and particularly in the Porsches some ill handling characteristics are minimized. However I believe the physics are still better than FM2, where they were too far the other direction.

The RUF Yellow Bird in GT4 at first drive is quite unruly. With practice I found that the car had to be driven as much with the throttle as the steering. Though still quite a challenge, with practice I grew to like driving it.

I hope my attempt at explaining my feelings on the game doesn't stop you from buying it. It's a really good game and I do like it even if my review appears really negative. I'm really enjoying at the moment, however I will admit I'm changing between cars a lot to keep things fresh because of the 7+ lap races in a particular class of car. You won't regret buying it and it'll certainly keep you entertained until GT5 comes out if you're planning on buying GT5.

Thats what I'm using it for.

I wonder why some people experience weight shifting, lift off oversteer, and low as well as high speed physics, easy to drive RR Porsches and then some people don't. I wonder if it's their controller, or their lack of experience to notice?

I have noticed it depending on the car and track, but again it seems to be minimized in this game, as compared to some other games.
I use a game controller.

This whole steering/handling discussion brings up something I have been wanting in racing games for sometime. Thats a non-linear adjustment for percentage of steering input travel with adjustable speed sensitive override.
Part of every car setup and savable as such.

NFS Shift took a partial stab at it, but the adustments were unexplained and mostly mis-identified. Not to mention the game was so buggy who knows if it worked or not.

This is something needed to tune the steering. Possibly this is considered too complex and isn't considered as a needed or beneficial feature.

Last edited:
Russtic @ FM.net brought up an interesting observation that there's a built in steering assist in FM3 regardless of the cars:

Turn10 seems to take pride in building a great physics engine all while allowing you to add layers of driving aids to help you learn to drive, thats great, but why O why are there still driving aids that you cannot turn off? I have tried everything I can think off and there is no option to get rid of FM3's Active Steering aid. They have this great tire physics model yet they insist on completely nurfing the driving simulation by having the game steer for you. If you get at all side ways the game takes over and starts countersteering for you. This is a perfectly understandable aid for people who use the standard controller but there should be an option in the advanced wheel settings that allows us to adjust linearity to the point where we can have complete linear control over the steering.

I was hoping the active steering would go away with the Fanatec 900 degree wheel but that seems to be not the case as its still very prevalent. We have had console sims with a fixed steering ratio with a 900 degree wheel since 2004. Even other racing games on the 360, that are not trying as hard to be a sim, offer a linearity slider option. I know for a fact Dirt 2 and Test Drive Unlimited have a linearity slider. It should not be You->Steering wheel->Active Steering aid ->Tires->Road. That active steering aid is like a chastity belt on Megan Fox, its a 7foot 400lbs man sitting in front of you in a theater playing Lord of The Rings, its a U-haul truck blocking you from going more than 20mph on the Nurburgring. Get out of the WAY!

There seems to be some other steering shenannigans making the steering feel off, I am suspect the active steering changes the ratio based on your speed as well. I also suspect there is, not quite a center deadzone, but a center softzone where it seems to greatly reduce your steering input near the center. FM3 seems to have a steelier physics model, I just wish they would allow us to fully experience it. May we please have a fixed steering ratio option?

C/N: Active Steering aid needs an off switch

Here's a few videos using MS wheel showing that the assist is on both racing and road cars even though the driving aids are off (compare the wheel on the telemetry to the one on the car):

Mainly regarding the section I've bolded above,

I think there is some real confusion going on here, which is really indicative of the problems we face between us (the customer) and giving good feedback to T10 to improve things..

I've watched a couple of the vids, then got my MS Wheel out and done a quick investigation myself.

Mine behaves (obviously) inline with the above vids, however, their is no 'active steering' in the sense the console somehow takes over and does anything.

The only thing going on when using a wheel is that it's steering range is reduced (in some simple linear equation) the faster you go.

Any slight shaking of the wheel is just that, it's either the noisy signal from the wheel (mine does it too, mainly just off centre driving normally), and when the FFB kicks in near full lock it can do it a little as the FFB is jostling the potentiometer.. It may be road texture related, it's hard to tell, but it certainly isn't not 'assistance'..

That is it really, yes, it could do with being removed, call it 'speed sensitive steering' of sorts, NFS Shift has lots of speed related adjustment to stop the car feeling too twitchy at speed etc..

The insinuation that the game is nerfed and it's some kind of namby pamby automatic steering is not what I'm seeing at all..

The tests, and proof:
1. Evidence of steering range being reduced as a factor of speed only
- Find a space big enough to play around in..
- Put it on full lock, and slowly set off, keeping it on full lock for the entire duration of the test.
- Notice that as speed increases, the steering angle slowly reduces totally analogous to speed, and not any other factor.
- To back it up, at speed, turn on full lock until you hit something, ideally so you pretty much stop dead, notice that when you suddenly decelerate your steering lock suddenly increase back to maximum. However as long as your forward velocity stays reasonable constant until the sudden deceleration, the car can be quite sideways and no change to steering is observed.

2. Evidence of no automated countersteering.
- You will need something stupidly powerful and RWD, the recent VIP gifted race cars will do..
- Do some donuts (not at speed, just on the spot (as such)) on full lock, once donutting nicely, change lock quickly to the opposite extreme, your car's rotational velocity will slow down and you'll start rotating in the opposite direction (eventually), now all this time your steering has been hard against the end stop, not once has the game applied opposite counter-steering, even with you holding lock whilst the car steers into and out of the direction of rotation.

I may be missing something here, but really it's a little saddening (not aimed at you) that people come up with these 'observations' with weird conclusions about these things, with what appear to me to be half-assed wild theories that can be easily quantifiable with some common sense..

Now, take a controller, and you can see that heavy filtering is applied (it's non-linear and has special conditions), but it's effectively heavily damped, this certainly dumbs things down a bit and could do with being an option to switch off, as it very much makes it a different driving experience to using a wheel, which in contrast is very direct.

I'm getting quite disillusioned with forums lately.. sure the game could do with one or two improvements to the handling model, but the amount of very poorly thought out observations isn't helping at all, clearly you are now reporting it on this forum, and it wouldn't take long before people will take this as a valid issue, despite being fairly normal and quite a minor feature.

Last edited:
I know, right? It's mildly entertaining.

We know.

HAHA it is entertaining, but at same time its good to read both sides because I learn myself about faults of GT5Prologue, and faults about FM3.

But heck, both sides should buy PS3 and Xbox, and both should play these two great games!

I'm pretty sure it's just an embellishment on his part (the bolded section) but as you've admtted, there is some sort of "speed sensitive steering" and as to whether it actually affects the quality of the game or the simulation, it probably boils down to personal opinion. Myself, I'm trying to understand a few things that I find perplexing when driving the cars in FM3. The video posted explain a few things although it was never meant to be conclusive and it surely never answered my own question about the physics of this game.

While I do agree that to some extent that common sense should always take precedence before one spurts out a comment or two, Forza and GT are essentially games and for most part the observations are quite casual. Take it lightly and put forth a rebuttal if the need arises but just don't take it seriously.

It was really inevitable that this thread would turn into yet another physics argument, but I'd like to return briefly to its initial point: Kazunori Yamauchi's comments, even though they're now quite old. In my opinion, his meaning was not primarily (or, at the very least, not exclusively) about Forza 3's driving physics. Instead, I think that what he meant was that the whole experience of the game, mainly the gameplay, did not feel quite like a driving simulator to him. As I know very little about Forza, I can make few specific comments about what makes the gameplay diverge from that of a simulator, but from what I've read, there is a little more emphasis on tuning and advancing in a career than there is in GT. I'm sure that he was commenting on the physics, as well, but I think the whole discussion of them was overblown.

I'm pretty sure it's just an embellishment on his part (the bolded section) but as you've admtted, there is some sort of "speed sensitive steering" and as to whether it actually affects the quality of the game or the simulation, it probably boils down to personal opinion. Myself, I'm trying to understand a few things that I find perplexing when driving the cars in FM3. The video posted explain a few things although it was never meant to be conclusive and it surely never answered my own question about the physics of this game.

While I do agree that to some extent that common sense should always take precedence before one spurts out a comment or two, Forza and GT are essentially games and for most part the observations are quite casual. Take it lightly and put forth a rebuttal if the need arises but just don't take it seriously.

Yeah, you are right, sometimes you do just keep reading some weird stuff and thinking that people's common sense was left at the door.. It is a game afterall...

I think where FM3 falls down is that even if (and I mean 'if') the phsyics where extremely advanced and technically proficient, it won't mean much to people who expect certain behaviour from driving a particular car, all they want are the basics of 'grip' levels and predictable rwd/fwd/awd traits and that's how their phsyics are defined.

Just had to reply the Porsche RR being easy to drive. I don't agree. Try pushing the GT3 around the Nordschleife, it's really hard work. You really notice the weight at the back. I think Turn 10 has done a brilliant job when it comes to driving feel, how different each car feels and the difference between FF, FR and RR.

Back to thread that KY said Forza 3 is not a sim. Have only played GT3 & 4 and they are much more arcade than Forza ever was, so it's a little early to take his quote seriously just yet, but I hope GT5 will do a good job.

Have only played GT3 & 4 and they are much more arcade than Forza ever was, so it's a little early to take his quote seriously just yet, but I hope GT5 will do a good job.

And thats the problem, you haven't played GT5P, which made a huge change for the better.

Jay
And thats the problem, you haven't played GT5P, which made a huge change for the better.

Indeed. I've been playing GT5P regularly lately and decided to relive the classics this saturday and play some GT4. I was surprised. Don't remember GT4 being so forgiving, specially with throttle control on crazy LMP race cars.

Just had to reply the Porsche RR being easy to drive. I don't agree. Try pushing the GT3 around the Nordschleife, it's really hard work. You really notice the weight at the back.

I agree. My GT3 RS is an absolute handfull on some tracks and the stock ones really bite if you apply throttle in the wrong place.

Back