Forza 3 worth purchasing a console and wheel?

• Thread starter Hybrid461
  • 65 comments
Canada
Ottawa
Im thinking i should just try and wait the 6 more months it will probably take for GT5 to release. But its hard. Ive played forza 3 at my brothers and was a lot of fun.

There's some other games i would get on 360 down the road too. Fable series, gears of war series.

But its still $400 to drop on it with a wheel. Does forza offer anything different than what gt5 will?

If GT5 is anything like GT4, you're going to get modifications in Forza 3.

Well, simply put, in my opinion, if F3 is the only reason to buy a 360, don't bother. If you've got other reasons, go right ahead.

It would be the "main" reason. I probably shouldnt but hard to resist temptation.

In terms of features i know forza has the custom paint jobs you can make, which i dont entirely care for. Not sure what else it has to offer that differs from the GT series

Well, I prefer the tuning set-up, and I really like the modifications. The tracks aren't bad, but I feel the game's inferior to a GT game. That said, it's like saying a Corvette's inferior to an Enzo, they're still both great games. Forza 3 just has a god-like competitor.

But, I'd suggest you hold off on a wheel, it's too expensive, and Turn 10's botched the entire purpose of a wheel anyway. Also get a hard drive for the 360, you're missing out on a lot if you don't have one.

Well its only a 270 wheel which does kinda suck. But its what i love the racing sims for; using a full wheel. just wish it supported my driving force gt

The one im lookin at is $299. either 120 or 250gb in it not sure. the elite. comes with forza 3 and halo 3 odst.

There are a lot of things better about Forza 3 over the GT series but you really need xboxlive to appreciate all of them. I was a huge fan of the GT series and then got hooked on Forza 3. GT5 is going to have to be one heck of a game to top Forza 3 IMO. I play with the controller and I still think Forza 3 is one of THE best simulation racers I have ever played on a console.

Plus there are MANY 360 games you can enjoy so you wouldnt be buying the 360 just for Forza 3. As long as you have xboxlive you will enjoy Forza 3. :)

Plus lets be realistic, how much longer will we be waiting for GT5?? Its already been what 5-6 years??? It could be another year for all we know.

There are a lot of things better about Forza 3 over the GT series but you really need xboxlive to appreciate all of them. I was a huge fan of the GT series and then got hooked on Forza 3. GT5 is going to have to be one heck of a game to top Forza 3 IMO. I play with the controller and I still think Forza 3 is one of THE best simulation racers I have ever played on a console.

Plus there are MANY 360 games you can enjoy so you wouldnt be buying the 360 just for Forza 3. As long as you have xboxlive you will enjoy Forza 3. :)

Plus lets be realistic, how much longer will we be waiting for GT5?? Its already been what 5-6 years??? It could be another year for all we know.

yeah dont know if id get live or not. its another $60 a year or in expenses. I dont use the psn all that much.

But yeah, if i had a release date for GT5, probably wouldnt have started this thread. And one thing forza does have is porsche

If you are not going to get live dont bother with Forza 3. You will miss at least 75% of the "fun" that it has to offer. Unlike GT, Forza 3 is designed mostly around the online community and what the community wants.

FM3 is a good game but not worth shelling out big bucks for the game system and a wheel. Consider you are waiting for GT5 I'd say dont if thats your only reasons. Plus XBL is not worth it for one game on top of that XBL wont make your single player experience and different.

Yeah ill probably just wait for now. May get a 360 for like fable 2 and some others once income changes from in college to fulltime job

I'd say hold off the wheel. System plus game is fine I guess (that's what I did actually) but since Microsoft closed their whole platform, buying a new wheel is really annoying. Obviously the only good way out of this would be if you don't own any wheel at all and get the one compatible with all consoles then I'd say yeah, go for it.

If GT5 is anything like GT4, you're going to get modifications in Forza 3.

Well, simply put, in my opinion, if F3 is the only reason to buy a 360, don't bother. If you've got other reasons, go right ahead.

By this logic I should have never ever in my life bought a console? ;)
I'd say go get it but don't get a wheel right away, the driving is very good with the controler (just like it used to be with Gt series) and well I guess different people, different taste... I played FableII demo and wow, that's one boring game, huh. :dunce:

PS: I agree with CAMAROBOY, GT5 has to pull something really special to top F3. IMO especially the tire-physics need to be worked on... maybe they should start with fixing the accuracy for the DS3 controlers?! :dopey:

F3 isn't perfect, but it's a lot of fun. Also you can get it in a bundle real cheap.

Last edited:
I'd say hold off the wheel. System plus game is fine I guess (that's what I did actually) but since Microsoft closed their whole platform, buying a new wheel is really annoying. Obviously the only good way out of this would be if you don't own any wheel at all and get the one compatible with all consoles then I'd say yeah, go for it.

This is good advice. Forza 3 is good with a pad but it's not worth buying a wheel for as it's not an accurate enough game for it IMO. The steering assistance thing is a bit odd but it's barely noticeable with a pad.

Curious what the community features are for forza 3?

i mostly drive with a wheel. nfs shift, grid, gt5, lfs, gtr. all done with a wheel.

tho i love a controller for nfs mw.

Last edited:
I´ve bought an 360 2 months ago, juft for FM3...

I can tell you, as a racing sim lover, this driving with the pad kills 70% of the fun... But I can´t buy an wheel for 300$ just for FM3...

So if you will buy an wheel, FM3 will be a lot of fun... but without an wheel, its nice and fun but (for me) you can´t do serious good lap times...

I´ve bought an 360 2 months ago, juft for FM3...

I can tell you, as a racing sim lover, this driving with the pad kills 70% of the fun... But I can´t buy an wheel for 300$ just for FM3...

So if you will buy an wheel, FM3 will be a lot of fun... but without an wheel, its nice and fun but (for me) you can´t do serious good lap times...

It's not as fun with a controller as it is with a wheel but, unlike Gran Turismo from GT4 and onwards, it actually works with a pad. It's as good as a racing sim played with a controller can possibly be and thankfully, it's pretty good.

A big part of why it works so well with a controller is it's a lot more laid back than Gran Turismo, which is VERY SERIOUS.

It's a great game on a console with a lot of great games, and since it's not the only game on the 360 you're interested in, it's not too bad of a purchase.

If you have PS3 allready and money fro GT5, also money for FM3 and Xbox360.. then go for it, but that microsoft wheel is pretty much SH$T. So do not buy the wheel and stick with the controller.. Also FM3 uses wheel assistance, so I do not know what is the point on buying a wheel for that game when it tries to help you to stay on track, even with all aids off..

Other then that, buy the 360 and FM3. Very good racing sim/arcade game!

Well i went to futureshop today thinking i was going to pick it up. But they had forza on a demo box with a standard controller. And i didnt find it as enjoyable as i had with the wheel on my bros xbox.

Basically im gonna wait till i move in a month, then consider getting it with the wheel. Not sure i could fit another thing in my dads truck than what i already need to move.

And Sele1981, the MS wheel is just $100. Unless you were more interested in a fanantec then yea.

Also is customization at all like Gt4? with upgrading springs, intake and so forth. My bro said he mostly does a quick upgrade, kinda like NFS.

Also is customization at all like Gt4? with upgrading springs, intake and so forth. My bro said he mostly does a quick upgrade, kinda like NFS.

It's way, way better. Upgrading your engine is no longer done by selecting things like "NA tune 2". You change components individiually, and there are three levels of each. Suspension and transmission are comparable to GT, the only thing with fewer options is tires, which only have 3 levels of upgrade, but you can change the diameter and width of the wheels, and the aftermarket wheels you put on bring a weight reduction with them. You can also modify the car with body kits and spoilers and all that, and they all have an impact on the car, even if it's often just a slight one. The best things you do to your car in Forza, though, are engine and drivetrain swaps. A lot of the cars allow you to swap in a different engine and/or change the driven wheels. This is a game that lets you make a RWD Aveo with the V8 out of a Z06, an engine which can be upgraded to produce over 900 horsepower. GT lets you make a slow car fast. Forza lets you make a slow car fast, stupid, terrifying and hilarious, all at the same time. I'm currently using an AWD Alfa MiTo with the V8 from the 8C in it, which I've brought up to about 800 horsepower, to terrorize supercars.

It's not as fun with a controller as it is with a wheel but, unlike Gran Turismo from GT4 and onwards, it actually works with a pad. It's as good as a racing sim played with a controller can possibly be and thankfully, it's pretty good.

GT4 doesn't work with a pad?

Wonder how I won all those LAN races then.

The different between the GT experience with a wheel and a with a pad is HUGE. They're like two different games.

I have pad, DFP and G25. I know what the differences are. I tend to migrate between the pad and G25, depending on how I feel. But "they're like two different games" isn't what you said (I would subjectively disagree with this, but your opinion is your own and I wouldn't bother correcting you on that). You said GT4 doesn't work with a pad and this is fundamentally untrue - I've been playing GT4 since the Japanese launch with a pad and not only does it work just fine, but I still hold one world record (of known contributors) in GT4, driving with a pad.

I've competed head-to-head in many LANs in GT3 and GT4, and OLR (including Nine Boards), with a pad against wheel and pad users and can beat (and lose to) both. I'm not even close to being the best pad user in the world either.

Im thinking i should just try and wait the 6 more months it will probably take for GT5 to release. But its hard. Ive played forza 3 at my brothers and was a lot of fun.

There's some other games i would get on 360 down the road too. Fable series, gears of war series.

But its still $400 to drop on it with a wheel. Does forza offer anything different than what gt5 will?

I have the XBOX but no the MS wheel, i bought DFGT for the PS3 and PC, curious, yesterday i pass in front of game store and has a MS wheel in front and think for seconds to purchase, but a least i decide to not do it, F3 without a wheel is a lot of fun, sure with a wheel gona be 100x better, but i pass, i already use the DFGT in my PC and PS3 (prologue, rfactor, gtr2, shift).

But when GT5 comes out i gona say:

"Thanks F3 and goodbye"

Sorry my english.

I did just that. Forza 3 was awesome until I began to dissect it, as I do with all of my racing games. I just don't drive, I take a car (hundreds of them), and make it mine.

There are several things about this game that I cannot stand.

- Outside of the real world tracks, most of the tracks feel like a game course. They are better then F2, but still lack that believable feeling.
- The Class system in game is nearly completely broken. Taking a D class automobile and wanting to race spec it out shouldn't take to A class. Take a look at real world racing for example.
- Adding racing tires to a car can take a car out of class. Why? It does nothing but ruin the competitiveness of the cars.
- The permanent auto steer (I drive with all assists off) is something I do not like fighting. It's fine that Turn 10 attempted to please everyone, but come on! Don't force me to use it!
- It seems the transmission automatically sets itself to the track. Every track my GT500 was driven on seemed to set my gears just where they needed to be. Something I want to do.
- The AWD conversion system has unbalanced the game. Leaderboard lap times have been ruined. Still shocked that Turn 10 did this.
- Certain Race parts make your car worse in the in-game point system. Adding aerodynamics shouldn't hurt you car. Installing race parts should make your car worse in the point system.

In my book, these are not minor issues. These are deal breakers to me, and it seems millions of others. Forza 3 has sold less then half of Forza 2. I believe reasons such as I posted are why.

- The Class system in game is nearly completely broken. Taking a D class automobile and wanting to race spec it out shouldn't take to A class. Take a look at real world racing for example.

What do you mean by 'race spec' it? I run a BTCC race every week and using the exact same specs as the real BTCC cars, the rating goes up to A550. It's just what happens, all cars are still on a level field! The rating goes up based upon the performance of the car, not the car type. Performance goes up, rating goes up. It's very simple.

- Adding racing tires to a car can take a car out of class. Why? It does nothing but ruin the competitiveness of the cars.

Better grip means quicker laps. The classes are based upon the car's performance, not the type of car. That's why you can race Range Rover's against Civics if you really want to.

- It seems the transmission automatically sets itself to the track. Every track my GT500 was driven on seemed to set my gears just where they needed to be. Something I want to do.

When has this ever happened? The gears are set to whatever you set them to, they don't change.

- Certain Race parts make your car worse in the in-game point system. Adding aerodynamics shouldn't hurt you car. Installing race parts should make your car worse in the point system.

Adding aero parts can 'hurt' your car in some areas but make it better in others. Just like in real life. Your last sentence contradicts your first complaint though.

'Certain Race parts make your car worse in the in-game point system.'

'Installing race parts should make your car worse in the point system.'

:confused:

I did just that. Forza 3 was awesome until I began to dissect it, as I do with all of my racing games. I just don't drive, I take a car (hundreds of them), and make it mine.

There are several things about this game that I cannot stand.

- Outside of the real world tracks, most of the tracks feel like a game course. They are better then F2, but still lack that believable feeling.
- The permanent auto steer (I drive with all assists off) is something I do not like fighting. It's fine that Turn 10 attempted to please everyone, but come on! Don't force me to use it!
- The AWD conversion system has unbalanced the game. Leaderboard lap times have been ruined. Still shocked that Turn 10 did this.

In my book, these are not minor issues. These are deal breakers to me, and it seems millions of others. Forza 3 has sold less then half of Forza 2. I believe reasons such as I posted are why.

For sales, in the same time frame (FM3 has only been out 6 months, it's far exceeding the same sales FM2 did..
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?re...ort+3+-+X360[30434]&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

It's fine to not like the game, but it seems a lot of your complaints don't seem to add up?
- You are confused about the 'class' system, it's just some arbitrary points system that has several classes, each class spans a range of PI points, so adding Race tyres will take some cars that are just below a class threshold over it and notch it up a class, but if you just want to race according to PI, then you can set your races that way if you wish.. You have to have some differentiators to simplify things..
- Gearbox ratios do not change on their own..
And adding aero parts to a car adds weight, and increases drag, on top of adding downforce, if you try a few cars out, you'll realise adding aero can decrease top speed quite a bit, but it makes up for it in the corners, so I'd say that despite shifting PI down fractionally when adding it, this is as it should be in context of the game..

- The AWD advantage is true, but as far as leaderboards are concerned what people fail to see is that with the milliions of permutations of upgrades, some 'combinations' on certain cars will lead to them being simply that bit quicker then others, and you will always get one or two cars drifitng to the top of the leaderboard, once people see a car in the top 10, they just follow the leader and before you know it, there are 100 of them at the top.. The AWD is an issue as it decreases PI when added, which is unbalanced, but the tunes most people make have their diffs set to make them almost RWD. T10 are stuck with this, because any changes to PI balancing of upgrades means leaderboard wipes, and that is something people moan about even more (I wish they would do this though).
- Autosteer is a something that doesn't really bother me at all, but I'm fine if it bothers you, we all drive differently, I can't agree that it requires any 'fighting', it doesn't violently grab the wheel out of your hand or anything, if anything it stops you 'fighting the car'.. but each to their own!

I think people that share your opinion will find the game bad, if I just drove around so that I am constantly getting this 'steering assist' and racing in a way that the PI system just happens to be against me all the time etc, I'd also be annoyed, but some of us just race cars, and our aim is to get faster and faster, in which case, most of the above doesn't even register..

Well said. 👍

I think PI system isn't perfect, but not too bad either. You really need to work out what's best for which car... e.g. race tires are meant for race spec cars, doesn't make much sense to put on a 600 hp Lambo which comes stock with super sporty tires already.
Leaderboards I found a wide variety on the different tracks, as a friend said once to me "It's the rider, not the ride." :)

Also, I tried, but the game doesn't steer for me, same for gears... they don't adjust themselves to the track, wtf? ;)

If I was to get Forza 3 and buy the 360 for it, it's the only game I'd be playing on the 360. It's not worth it, and one of the mechanics at work childishly bashes Gran Turismo all the time saying how much better Forza's physics are and how much more of an awesome game it is. Yeah right.:rolleyes: It only gives me more reason not to buy it. If I bought Forza 3 now, it'd be dropped and never picked up ever again when GT5 comes out later this year, which would be a complete waste of money.

Forza 3 is the best racing game I have played on a console, it has flaws for sure but what game doesn't? However buying a console for one game is stupid, that's a lot of money for something you're probably going to play quite a bit for a couple of months then just occasionally play as you grow bored with it.

There are a lot of great games on the 360 though depending on what you like, I still prefer the 360's library to the PS3's (although both suck compared to the PC). There aren't a lot of racing games though, but it's a console. If you are really into just racing games you are probably better off investing the $400 upgrading your PC and playing games on it since there is a better selection to choose from.

Allow me to clarify my statements now that I am not working and the time to better explain myself.

-Tracks are unrealistic: As I stated, outside of the real world tracks, Turn 10 has alot to work on. A majority of the tracks feel competely unnatural. The turns feel forced, and the roads themselves do not have the flow that can be found in GT. Even the ambient surroundings have a picture perfect look to some of them, all the while avoiding the gritty dull look that alot of venues represent.

-Class System is broken: Take a look at the Euro GT Cup. It features the BMW Z4 (Class B-438) and a Ford Mustang (Class D-289) among it's cars that meet the class requirements. Make the GT4 cup racing modifications to each car in Forza 3 and look at the disparity in ratings and performance. In the real world, these cars compete against each other in the GT4 Euro Cup. Take a look at how Gran Turismo 5 Prologue sets it's cars based on performance. There is no broken letter grade that affects leaderboard times.

-The Racing Tires: My main beef with this is my favorite car of all time is the Pontiac GTO. In Forza 3, they have a late 60's model featured in game, and when I put racing tires on it, the car is moved to C class. It cannot compete due to weight of the vehicle with several of the C class cars. Using my GT4 Cup as the example again, adding racing tires shoud never take a car out of class. There is no "threshold rating system". They use similar cars in performance. They add Pirelli tires to each car. I didn't have the time to look at every car that's on the approved list for the GT4 Cup, I would be curious to see how they rate on Forza 3.

- The permanent auto steer: I don't care how "marginal" anyone say's it is. For a game that is considered a simulator, auto steer should not be forced. I take my 2004 Pontiac GTO (Class 425) on a few of the oval's in Forza 3, and when making my turns, I can detect the auto steering pulling my car slightly. To me, that's an unexcusable offense. How am I to accurately tune my car to it's potential if I can't get an accurate reading? On the Laredo Test Track oval, I can feel the car jerking to outside as I move on the racing line and make my turn towards the inside. Watch some of the leaderboard video's for proof. Perhaps you can race yourself. Or, you can excuse it as not being bad at all. It matters not me.

- The auto setting transmission: Yes, you can manually set the final drive and each of the gears once you install a racing transmission. Congratulations. I don't have an issue with that. However, I do have an issue of when setting my final gear ratio, gears 1-6 do nothing. That's right, no matter how close I make the gears, they do no not change. Once again, there is no excuse for that. The final drive ratio is not some miracle cure all system that operates independantly from the 1st through 6th gears. Take a look at GT5 Prologue, and you'll see that adjusting the final drive affects the individual gearing. Perhaps "auto" wasn't the proper word for it, how about "locked into position", or "irrelevant"?

- The AWD conversion: This is a fiasco. Anyone can become a Turn 10 apologist and defend this or as some cases, just ignore it. To me, it's a game killing problem. An AWD car brings advantages to the table. A RWD car does the same. In fact, RWD automobiles are the most widely used drivetrain in motorsports. There is a reason for that. What this did was compromise the integrity of this game being considered a simulator. I was honestly proud of myself for getting my 2004 GTO (C Class-425) into a 500th position out of 350,000 on an oval track. Then I realised the futility of it all, and the AWD dominance ahead of me. It was a joke.

The aerodynamic issue: Staying in Honor of Jordan's victory in GT Academy, I used the Euro GT4 approved Nissan 370Z (Class B-441) as my example. I ran an experiment with parts to prove my statment as either the in game wording/numbers as being broken or modification system being a failure. Why put an arcade numerical value of the cars in the first place??
Baseline Nissan 370Z (B Class-441)
SPEED - 6.6
HANDLING - 5.6
ACCELERATION - 5.5
LAUNCH - 6.4
BRAKING -5.3

I installed racing tires which increased the handling to 5.7, the launch to 6.6, and the braking to 5.5. All good here.
I installed a racing transmission to the car, and the launch decreased to 4.5. That's a numerical drop of nearly 2 of Forza's points. Say what?
I installed the Nismo aero kits, and the speed went up to 6.7, and the launch fell once again to a 4.4. What's the problem here?
You can add the "Forza" rear wing to the car, and watch the speed take a half a point fall. You can't defend the logic in that. The aero wing does not hamper your speed that much. Now granted, I am do not have a degree in aerodynamic engineering, nor do I work as a professional racer/member of the pit either.

-The numbers between Forza 2 and 3: Anyone can fool themselves in believing that the game is ok when comparing the 6 month numbers between the titles. Take a look at the online community of Forza 3. Last weekend, on a Saturday night, there was 100 people playing the game. Low numbers if you ask me, especially for "definitive" simulator.

- In closing: Forza 3 is a game that attempts to please everyone instead of maintaining a simulator approach first. Things like this bother me. Things like this are the reason I do not play the game anymore. Things like this are the reason Gran Turismo is where it is today, and that's head and shoulders over everyone.:)

Last edited:
Back