Forza 3 worth purchasing a console and wheel?

• Thread starter Hybrid461
  • 65 comments
Before you even consider blowing £300 on a console and driving wheel for nothing but this one game, I think you'd better have a read of this.
http://classygamer.blogspot.com/2010/02/forza-motorsport-3-what-went-wrong.html
This game is far from "The Definitive Driving Simulator" it claims to be.

I agree that it isn't there, but it isn't that far off. It seems to be the best thing on consoles at the moment, by far. Supercar Challange and Race Pro are the only other comparable titles at the moment.

That review makes a few critical mistakes. The AWD superiority is only tied to the PI System which is flawed to an extent.

The PI system seems to come from the vehicle's performance on certain test tracks that Turn 10 Studios used to measure this with. Perhaps measuring this by using an AI driver and as a result applies one style of driving to all sorts drivetrains. Anyone can see this will lead to problems.

The physics aren't perfect but on the console side it's the closest thing to a PC sim right now. His complaints doesn't address the real issues with the game, and his complaints about RWD vehicles are straight out wrong.

The game is flawed but so are some of my favourite racers from the past, including Gran Turismo 3 and 4. Even iRacing, a game with the best physics and most realistic tire model (well, Forza Motorsport's is up there!) doesn't have the car selection of games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo. There isn't a game that has it all and never will be.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one disappointed by some of Turn 10 Studio's decisions, as we all know they have a great foundation for an excellent sim but hindered it with some poor decisions, namely the steering assist that cannot be turned off (it can in Gran Turismo) as well as the online play that has taken a step back from the previous Forza Motorports title. The physics need some tweaking in a few critical areas. Yes, they are beyond Gran Turismo but could have been up there with iRacing or rFactor.

Still, despite the issues it's a great sim. Lots of closed minded gamers are doing themselves a disservice by ignoring this game. Many of them think of Gran Turismo as the undisputed "King" of racers. I used to be one of them until I got into PC sims and then I saw Gran Turismo for what it was. So I find it hypocritical to see the sort of comments I see here downing Forza Motorsports when the Gran Turismo series has its flaws too.

@danielwhite74: Well i blown 500€ on Fantec pwts and CSP pedals, and rennstand and i'am loving it. Bought X360 solely for F3, and Both PS3 solely for GT5, have PC if i want to play with PC sims.

There will never be a perfect sim on consoles or PC, it's a trade off. e.g. iracing may have the best physics but car selection is poor, GT5 or F3 maybe having a bit poorer physics but the car selection if far ahead from iRacing. If rfactor didn't have open code for modding, it would never reach potential as where it's now, and some modes are more arcadey then NFS or Dirt series. But the point is to enjoy all games that as thrown at you.

Well i did spend about $600 to get a 360, wheel, fable 2, hdmi+optical plug, and came 2 year coverage on the console. and after having forza 3 for a month, i love it. there are tracks and such that wont be in gt5. its certainly not gt5 in some ways. but i feel money was well spent. and now i was able to get games like gears of war 2, trials hd and perfect dark.

*snip*

I'm sure that I'm not the only one disappointed by some of Turn 10 Studio's decisions, as we all know they have a great foundation for an excellent sim but hindered it with some poor decisions, namely the steering assist that cannot be turned off (it can in Gran Turismo) as well as the online play that has taken a step back from the previous Forza Motorports title. The physics need some tweaking in a few critical areas. Yes, they are beyond Gran Turismo but could have been up there with iRacing or rFactor.

*snip*

Are you serious? Take any car that is in both Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport 3 round the Nürburgring with S1 tyres and no driving assists activated in both games, and tell me with a straight face that Forza's physics are even decently realistic in comparison.

Im thinking i should just try and wait the 6 more months it will probably take for GT5 to release. But its hard. Ive played forza 3 at my brothers and was a lot of fun.

There's some other games i would get on 360 down the road too. Fable series, gears of war series.

But its still $400 to drop on it with a wheel. Does forza offer anything different than what gt5 will?

I picked up an X box 360 Elite with F3 & Halo 3 for $249.00 & I was also sick of waiting for GT5 . Even if graphics better I still prefer GT4 & will probably get GT5 when released .
Ozi

Last edited:
Back