Forza 4 Announced (read the first post - no GT vs FM comparisons)

The colour of the lighting and textures has nothing to do with computing power.

The HDR, quality of the shadows, quality of the textures and so on and so forth are what put a drain on resources. I mean, Look at GT4, the textures, shadows, models and all that look horrible but because the colour of the lighting and textures is right, the game can look good. That is what has made the first 3 Forza's look fake (yet to be known with FM4). Forza 3's ambient lights and stuff were excellent but it still looked wrong because the colour saturations and light colour were unnatural. That is why some photomode pics (where you can change these settings) look excellent.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. Forza 3 lighting is obviously better than GT5 (except horrible HDR), but colours are far off.

Also GT5 car reflections looks more real, but if you check them closer - almost nothing is actually reflected in cars, and in Forza - every object all around the track.

I say it's a matter of art design, has nothing to do with graphics tech

Oh how wrong all of that is.

The colour of the lighting and textures has nothing to do with computing power.

The HDR, quality of the shadows, quality of the textures and so on and so forth are what put a drain on resources. I mean, Look at GT4, the textures, shadows, models and all that look horrible but because the colour of the lighting and textures is right, the game can look good. That is what has made the first 3 Forza's look fake (yet to be known with FM4). Forza 3's ambient lights and stuff were excellent but it still looked wrong because the colour saturations and light colour were unnatural. That is why some photomode pics (where you can change these settings) look excellent.

There are some things in FM3 that look awesome such as reflections and back grounds but it doesn't stop the cars and tracks looking unnatural.

True, but I found FM3's lighting to be much improved when compared to Forza 1 and 2. Definitely not photorealistic, but I didn't find it jarring like I did with the first two.

Whats with the "lightining" everybody wants to improve? Is it like the light from the sun in-the-game or what? Or do you guys mean the cheap too bright cockpit views?

Whats with the "lightining" everybody wants to improve? Is it like the light from the sun in-the-game or what? Or do you guys mean the cheap too bright cockpit views?

lol nope.

It's how everything is lit up and shaded. The shadows and such in Forza 3 are perfectly fine. It's just the colour of the light. It looks like the sun is made out of fluorescent tubes which gives and unnatural white light on everything.

Also, the overly saturated texture colours don't help either.

I always thought Forza 3 was stunning to look at, and the colours seemed perfectly fine to me. Only gripe I have are the blinding white menu's.

"Forza 4 will feature Kinect AND controller support. This was among the first questions we received upon making the announcement, so let’s clear this up straight away."

While PGR4's weather effects looked good, they were totally contrived.

If you stop your car in the middle of the track, the water still flows up the windshield like you are still moving. I actually prefer GT5's weather implementation. It is more subtle but the water on the windshield behaves i a realistic way and I love how it moves around with the G-forces the car is subjected to. It isn't perfect, I wish the body of the car received rain as well.

So far so good on the lighting for Forza 4. Now that the Kinect Demo was revieled to be FM4, one could simply look at the video of the Fujimi Kaido down hill run to see some of the lighting improvements...

IMO if that is all they did to the graphics in the game, then I am happy enough with that. Then they can work on ohter areas where FM3 needed some more work.

I've been analysing the FM4 trailer,and I have to say that is quite alarming,well over the last Forza games lot of stuff has been taken down,something that sadly has make the game very limited on what the series potential could turn out to be,here is an example of what I'm talking about:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
->FM1:-City tracks(New York,Rio de janeiro)
-Night Tracks(Tokyo,Sunset peninsula)
-Point to point tracks(Toronto,Fujimi Kaido)
-Real World Tracks(Laguna Seca,Nurburgring,Road Atlanta-America,Silverstone,Tsukuba)
-Original Circuit(Alpine Ring,Blue Mountains,Sunset Peninsula,Autocross,Maple Valley)

->Cars=231 cars
->Tracks=17 Tracks
->Features=Livery,Damage,Tuning,Body customization,C. Soundtrack.

->FM2:-City tracks(New York)
-Night Tracks(none)
-Point to point tracks(none)
-Real World Tracks(Laguna Seca,Mugello,Nurburgring,Road Atlanta,Suzuka,Sebring,Silverstone,Tsukuba)
-Original Circuit(Sunset Peninsula,Maple Valley,Sidewinder)
-DLC tracks(Road America,Twin Ring Motegi)

->Cars=349 cars,35 DLC Cars
->Tracks=12 Tracks,2 DLC Tracks
->Features=Livery,Damage,Tuning,Body customization,C. Soundtrack,Good Online(store-front and championships).

->FM2:-City tracks(New York)
-Night Tracks(none)
-Point to point tracks(Fujimi Kaido)
-Real World Tracks(Laguna Seca,Mugello,Nurburgring,Road Atlanta-America,Suzuka,Sebring,Silverstone,Tsukuba,Cataluña,Le Mans,Twin Ring Motegi)
-Original Circuit(Sunset Peninsula,Maple Valley,Sidewinder,Amalfi,Camino Viejo,Sedona)
-DLC tracks(N.GP,Sidewinter,Benchmark)

->Cars=412 cars,around 40 DLC Cars
->Tracks=20 Tracks,3 DLC Tracks
->Features=Livery,Damage,Rewind,Tuning,Body customization,C. Soundtrack,Bad Online(store-front,Matchmaking:tdown:).

My point here is that FM series sacrifices a lot of things to be taken serious in the next gen,Car list wise has always been the same and there very little updating on cars that are just the same list,I had Faith on FM2 since it did really well on the Online aspect and the Game structure,then Facepalm! :ouch: FM3,almost 75% of the content is almost the same as FM2,even same quality with cockpits which made me really made me very disappointed,had all lot of elements but these element weren't really well fulfilled.

Each Time I heard functionally with something I just get this felling that a lot of potential will go to the drain,RE Umbrella Chronicles,MAG with the move and FM with Kinect always end up in failing.

Adding to that the fact that there is not real footage of the game,which shows that there is no "work in progress",something worryingly that makes me think that the announcement was done merely to reduce GT5 sales,these Marketing stunts are made all the time,and having no in game footage,just pre render TG track and pre-rended Ford GT is something that shows no work at all,I mean GT had GTHD and showed us Eiger,but them just showed up with real world footage that shows insecurity in the work that they are doing.

I just want the game to be good,some old stuff has to come back,but they should add more stuff,because the game must be 60 bucks,not 100 bucks with DLC's.

The game have the potential,but microsoft executives have the thirst of money.

I have no clue what this last poster is talking about. BTW, FM2 didn't have cockpits, so I am not sure if you have even played Forza?

Its Forza 4 or Forza: GT Edition ?! :D
TopGear , Dirt & Snow tracks , Day/Night cycle , ...
They arent in any Forza but after GT5 ...

I agree (if I understand you correctly).
They go AFTER GT5 - it's much easer to go on GT5 path - all innovations are already done.They just make their own version.Again it's much easer to go after GT5.But surprisingly I feel extremely good about this one...

Back