Forza 4 Has Superior Sound Compared To Forza 6

Every racing game ever created has better sound compared to Forza 6, for example v8 supercars, the Nissan ,Mercedes and Volvo all have a more distinct sound than the holden and ford but all the cars sound like your driving a NASCAR or a stock car...
The sound is terrible!!

Every racing game ever created has better sound compared to Forza 6, for example v8 supercars, the Nissan ,Mercedes and Volvo all have a more distinct sound than the holden and ford but all the cars sound like your driving a NASCAR or a stock car...
The sound is terrible!!

So Gran Turismo has better sounds?

C0A79613-A060-4253-A27F-911F02CA8AC6_zpstgphoclw.gif

The sound is terrible!!
The word you're looking for is "inaccurate", it isn't "terrible" as the sound itself is nice.

With a few exceptions, the rest of the cars sound fantastic

The sound is terrible!!

You are delusional, Gran Turismo 5/6 have horrible sounds compared to Forza 6, the only problem with Forza 6 is Forza 4 has a lourder sound input, Forza 6 just needs to be louder with an added option to adjust the sound of the engines.

You are delusional, Gran Turismo 5/6 have horrible sounds compared to Forza 6, the only problem with Forza 6 is Forza 4 has a lourder sound input, Forza 6 just needs to be louder with an added option to adjust the sound of the engines.
Its doesn't need to be louder, its just needs to be attempted instead of the same ugly sound used on all the v8 supercars even when they each have their own unique sound.

Its doesn't need to be louder, its just needs to be attempted instead of the same ugly sound used on all the v8 supercars even when they each have their own unique sound.

I agree; there are far too many cars in the game that sound all too similar and basic. The same deep detail and "oomph" in engine/exhaust notes isn't present in FM6. Some cars sound incredible and out of this world, frankly, but there are many inconsistencies. The more I play the game, the more disappointments I come across.

However, quite humbly speaking, the sound isn't as bad as you say Mr. Jarrett! Have you played FM5?

And FM4 did have amazing sounds - I had my sound set up to home theater and sound focus on "tires", which balances everything out evenly. The engines do not sound overly loud or distorted at all.

I think it needs to be louder. It is really annoying me how much louder Forza 4 sounds on the same volume level, I like loud games and Forza 6 just doesn't cut it.

I think it needs to be louder. It is really annoying me how much louder Forza 4 sounds on the same volume level, I like loud games and Forza 6 just doesn't cut it.

FM4 did something amazing with the sounds that made them sound not just loud but very life-like. They toned that down in FM5 somewhat, but the engine/exhausts still had a lot of oomph that would make your hair stand on end.

Many sounds in FM6 are incredible I should tell you, some of them even more refined and detailed, however, the overall impact of it all isn't at the same level as FM4 or 5.. it seems to have been "humbled" and dumbed down somewhat. I think the only people who don't have that many complaints about F6 sound are the ones playing the game through high-end 7.1 systems; I think that's where the game shines. Though I've never played it through 7.1 or even 5.1.

FM4 did something amazing with the sounds that made them sound not just loud but very life-like. They toned that down in FM5 somewhat, but the engine/exhausts still had a lot of oomph that would make your hair stand on end.

Many sounds in FM6 are incredible I should tell you, some of them even more refined and detailed, however, the overall impact of it all isn't at the same level as FM4 or 5.. it seems to have been "humbled" and dumbed down somewhat. I think the only people who don't have that many complaints about F6 sound are the ones playing the game through high-end 7.1 systems; I think that's where the game shines. Though I've never played it through 7.1 or even 5.1.

The game still needs sliders or new patch to address its mix/output.
A High end system will produce better sound but will not fix the issues with the actual source. Even the 31 Band EQ I used is limited in its usage as many types of sounds within the mix/output use similar frequencies. So it is not possible to alter just one type of sound eg (engine noise). This is where Driveclub has a huge bonus in comparison.

Curious though if anyone is (up-mixing) to Dolby Atmos 3D Surround (7.1.4 ) or other variant. Anyone tried that with racing games or FM6?

I was reading about the new Atmos enabled Yamaha YSP 5600 sound projector releasing later this year. Utilising 46 speaker configuration with Atmos 7.1.2. from single unit. Ideal perhaps as my room is small and don't want multitudes of speakers. Easily moved into the living room too and wife friendly.

Product was getting good reports from recent IFA show but wont be cheap.
8VijdZQl.jpg

mJb2vcX.jpg

Last edited:
The game still needs sliders or new patch to address its mix/output.
A High end system will produce better sound but will not fix the issues with the actual source. Even the 31 Band EQ I used is limited in its usage as many types of sounds within the mix/output use similar frequencies. So it is not possible to alter just one type of sound eg (engine noise). This is where Driveclub has a huge bonus in comparison.

Curious though if anyone is (up-mixing) to Dolby Atmos 3D Surround (7.1.4 ) or other variant. Anyone tried that with racing games or FM6?

I was reading about the new Atmos enabled Yamaha YSP 5600 sound projector releasing later this year. Utilising 46 speaker configuration with Atmos 7.1.2. from single unit. Ideal perhaps as my room is small and don't want multitudes of speakers. Easily moved into the living room too and wife friendly.

Product was getting good reports from recent IFA show but wont be cheap.
8VijdZQl.jpg

mJb2vcX.jpg

Yeah I get that - I think FM5 had better mixing and frequency range.

Isn't Dolby 7.1 Atmos 3D HD by default? I mean, you plug in the wires, and that's it, you get 3D "Atmos HD" sound through 7.1 channels, no?

So Gran Turismo has better sounds?

C0A79613-A060-4253-A27F-911F02CA8AC6_zpstgphoclw.gif

Not really....

Now don't get me wrong, I like both Gran Turismo and Forza, but I always liked how the Car Sounds in Forza's Motorsport and Horizon are better and more realistic than Gran Turismo's, and that I never really bothered comparing Forza 6's Sounds with Forza 4's.

Yeah I get that - I think FM5 had better mixing and frequency range.

Isn't Dolby 7.1 Atmos 3D HD by default? I mean, you plug in the wires, and that's it, you get 3D "Atmos HD" sound through 7.1 channels, no?

Well for proper ATMOS sources you would have a proper configuration utilising 2 or 4 height speakers.
It would of course send the relevant effects to the appropriate channel.

My understanding is that "DOLBY ATMOS 3D SURROUND" can upmix standard 5.1 / 7.1 playback sources. It is the same principle of how the very common DPL II X for example could upmix STEREO into 7.1.

So If a user had the appropriate ATMOS receiver/amplifier and speakers then they can get a pseudo ATMOS height surround experience. LVS forums has a lot of people saying good things about it using standard 7.1 audio movies.

Though I have yet to find much information/discussion regards games usage.

The best sound I heard in GT6 was Senna's Pool Jeans formula car. That sounds fantastic and drove so sweetly.

Well for proper ATMOS sources you would have a proper configuration utilising 2 or 4 height speakers.
It would of course send the relevant effects to the appropriate channel.

My understanding is that "DOLBY ATMOS 3D SURROUND" can upmix standard 5.1 / 7.1 playback sources. It is the same principle of how the very common DPL II X for example could upmix STEREO into 7.1.

So If a user had the appropriate ATMOS receiver/amplifier and speakers then they can get a pseudo ATMOS height surround experience. LVS forums has a lot of people saying good things about it using standard 7.1 audio movies.

Though I have yet to find much information/discussion regards games usage.

That's valuable info and good to know 👍

I wonder if I can "upmix" my stereo signal to 5.1 - see, here's the issue: my amp can only do 5.1 through the built-in DVD/CD system. It's one of those budget component hi-fi systems that do not have a port at the back for accepting coaxial/optical or HDMI input from external devices.

So I'm pretty much stuck with stereo right?

VXR
The best sound I heard in GT6 was Senna's Pool Jeans formula car. That sounds fantastic and drove so sweetly.
I could swear i am okay with all of Indy Cars being swapped by Formula 3 cars.

That 2 liter sound. And i had more fun Driving Formula 3 cars than bunch of X1 or FGT in GT. Well, we get the Formula E in Forza. Certainly interesting, but i wanted an F3 as an addition for audiophile :)

That's valuable info and good to know 👍

I wonder if I can "upmix" my stereo signal to 5.1 - see, here's the issue: my amp can only do 5.1 through the built-in DVD/CD system. It's one of those budget component hi-fi systems that do not have a port at the back for accepting coaxial/optical or HDMI input from external devices.

So I'm pretty much stuck with stereo right?

If you have no inputs yes but ebay etc is full of old school AV receivers, cheap speakers. Or for a simple decent quality solution I would recommend most of the older YSP (Yamaha Sound Projectors), 800/900/1000 etc. These can be found on ebay for $100 - $200. They look like sound bars but offer true surround channels via reflecting it off surfaces.

I had a YSP800 for a while and it was rather good for a one box solution.
Few sound-bars offer true surround channels and even one of Sonys newest 2015 models only offers "Virtual Surround" similar to how gaming headphones utilise DSP effects.

(PM if you want further discussion, so as not to interrupt too much the thread)

Since I just had to buy another X1, I remembered doing this a year ago with my previous X1.

For those of you using Optical out of your X1. Make sure you have the X1 audio set to Optical out "Bitstream out". Then select Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital DTS. Every X1 defaults to HDMI out. It MUST be switched otherwise the audio will not work properly. You will end up with excessively loud center channel. (I have heard several people mention they have a very loud center channel including @Speedster911 )

dd-over-optical_500.jpg

Since I just had to buy another X1, I remembered doing this a year ago with my previous X1.

For those of you using Optical out of your X1. Make sure you have the X1 audio set to Optical out "Bitstream out". Then select Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital DTS. Every X1 defaults to HDMI out. It MUST be switched otherwise the audio will not work properly. You will end up with excessively loud center channel. (I have heard several people mention they have a very loud center channel including @Speedster911 )

dd-over-optical_500.jpg

Uh.. no, dude, I don't have an excessively loud center channel.. cos' I ain't got NO center channel! :lol::lol:

Don't know where you got that, as I am on an 8-speaker stereo 2.1 setup. :D

Uh.. no, dude, I don't have an excessively loud center channel.. cos' I ain't got NO center channel! :lol::lol:

Don't know where you got that, as I am on an 8-speaker stereo 2.1 setup. :D
Hmm well someone in this thread said something about the center channel being too loud. I don't have the time to read through the entire thread again to see who it was. Well hopefully this optical out suggestion at least helps someone.

Just a reminder, if you are running optical, you must set your X1 to optical bitstream out. It defaults to HDMI.

Hmm well someone in this thread said something about the center channel being too loud. I don't have the time to read through the entire thread again to see who it was. Well hopefully this optical out suggestion at least helps someone.

Just a reminder, if you are running optical, you must set your X1 to optical bitstream out. It defaults to HDMI.

Haha... wasn't me broski! I'd have to have surround sound to have any such issues.

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestion there; I am aware of it. Read it not too long ago on another forum actually. And makes perfect sense, since HDMI and Optical are too different mediums for carrying sound. The latter boasts higher quality and better dynamic range, correct? (i.e. HDMI 5.1 vs Optical 5.1)

Haha... wasn't me broski! I'd have to have surround sound to have any such issues.

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestion there; I am aware of it. Read it not too long ago on another forum actually. And makes perfect sense, since HDMI and Optical are too different mediums for carrying sound. The latter boasts higher quality and better dynamic range, correct? (i.e. HDMI 5.1 vs Optical 5.1)
there is literally *zero* difference between optical and HDMI - digital is digital. Where a difference *does* exist is between compression schemes, ie Dolby/DTS/Uncompressed. Because you can't use uncompressed surround over optical, you could I guess say that HDMI *can* have higher dynamic range (which isn't true either but that's a much longer explanation) on account of the availability of uncompressed, but that's not directly a fault of the cable.

Personally I have always thought that the sounds in Forza were ok, pleasing but generic and not all that realistic in most cases and that goes for 4 and for 6 as well as the other versions. I find it odd that they use the same sound in various views and it does not change when the exhaust system is changed. Lots of the cars sound the same and so on.

GT on the other hand has poor sounds overall but they do seem to be more dynamic changing with different views and with different exhaust systems.

Personally I have always thought that the sounds in Forza were ok, pleasing but generic and not all that realistic in most cases and that goes for 4 and for 6 as well as the other versions. I find it odd that they use the same sound in various views and it does not change when the exhaust system is changed. Lots of the cars sound the same and so on.

GT on the other hand has poor sounds overall but they do seem to be more dynamic changing with different views and with different exhaust systems.

Forza 5 was one game where the audio changed dramatically between different views. It happens in F6 as well, but not for every car. I agree with the engine upgrades not having a dramatic effect on the audio character of cars. It should.

Out of curiosity, can you give me examples of some more games that do engine audio really well?

Correct!

The "headphones" setting brings out that visceral roar and bark in engine sounds, reminiscent of F4 and 5.

The LaFerrari, Aventador, Huracan, P1 and ZO6 nearly blew me outta ma seat! Most of those were impressive sounding to begin with but that relentless oomph was missing. It's back!

You'll even notice a greater distinction going between different views.

All is forgiven! The engine sounds are where they should be. I'm sure the not-so-impressive sounds like the modern Jags are bound to get fixed. Devs are aware of it, more or less.

Back