Forza 4 Has Superior Sound Compared To Forza 6

The super-awesome thing is it impacts every kind of sound medium, not just external headphones. Probably not TV speakers, as they lack the range.

I started to drive the F&F cars for a gallery update. The R34 sounds amazing. Lovely exhaust burble and the engine gains timbre as it climbs the rev range. Not too fussed about blow-off noises, but they sounded very good, too.

Correct!

The "headphones" setting brings out that visceral roar and bark in engine sounds, reminiscent of F4 and 5.

The LaFerrari, Aventador, Huracan, P1 and ZO6 nearly blew me outta ma seat! Most of those were impressive sounding to begin with but that relentless oomph was missing. It's back!

You'll even notice a greater distinction going between different views.

All is forgiven! The engine sounds are where they should be. I'm sure the not-so-impressive sounds like the modern Jags are bound to get fixed. Devs are aware of it, more or less.

I'm not hearing a significant improvement when using the new headphones setting. I'm listening through a better than average TV speaker, and the TV setting currently sounds best to me. Yes, the headphones setting does seem to focus on the engine sound, but I'm hearing more bass and genreal vibrancy using the TV setting, which in turn highligts that roar and bark. I wonder if the settings respond differently to different devices. You already suggested this above.

I'm not hearing a significant improvement when using the new headphones setting. I'm listening through a better than average TV speaker, and the TV setting currently sounds best to me. Yes, the headphones setting does seem to focus on the engine sound, but I'm hearing more bass and genreal vibrancy using the TV setting, which in turn highligts that roar and bark. I wonder if the settings respond differently to different devices. You already suggested this above.

And you should stick to the TV setting since you're playing through TV speakers. The headphones setting works best if you're using external speakers/amp or headphones.

What's holding you back from getting a sound system BTW?

And you should stick to the TV setting since you're playing through TV speakers. The headphones setting works best if you're using external speakers/amp or headphones.

What's holding you back from getting a sound system BTW?

I have a sound system, but I'm temporarily using another TV in the household. I'll get to test it properly, eventually.

The new update is a bit of a double edge. It doesn't make the cars sound any more accurate (like the infamous F-Type), but it does bring out some details in the sound. The LaFerrari for example is louder with the "Headphone" changes & as a result, there some very nice hidden sounds that have come out such as this faint little burp between gear changes.

VXR
I started to drive the F&F cars for a gallery update. The R34 sounds amazing. Lovely exhaust burble and the engine gains timbre as it climbs the rev range. Not too fussed about blow-off noises, but they sounded very good, too.

Seems a bit to high pitched tbh.

Only if it sounded like this.

The new update is a bit of a double edge. It doesn't make the cars sound any more accurate (like the infamous F-Type), but it does bring out some details in the sound. The LaFerrari for example is louder with the "Headphone" changes & as a result, there some very nice hidden sounds that have come out such as this faint little burp between gear changes.

Precisely; the sounds that were off before (like the annoying Gran Turismo-like F-type) are still off. However, the ones that were properly done or seemed "half off" are alive in all their glory due to the additional detail in engine/exhaust audio that can now be heard. Also, now there's a more distinct change in audio character going from cockpit to first-person to chase. More distinction between motor and exhaust sound.

Good stuff all in all.

Volume is a bit lower, but sound overall is much better than in FM4. I noticed they adjusted, changed and even fixed(if needed) almost all of the samples. I remember the Ford transit in FM4 sounded like a V6. It now sounds like a 5 cylinder as it should. Some V12 cars have better samples and more accurate, like the SL65 and BMW 850Csi to mention a couple. V8's are an "eargasmic" experience. Even 4-bangers are a delight.

Sounds are indeed quieter, but much sharper and defined from the different camera angles. I would say it's indeed an improvement over previous games.

They did however messed up the Hummer H1. Sounds like a six cylinder diesel!! Forza messing up like this is unbelievable!! Although thanks to the endless custom options that the game has, you just put a bunch of Cummins stickers and play pretend :lol:

Comes down to personal taste but IMO that Paul Walker r34 sounds bad in that scene.

There are plenty of high performance Japanese aus and english r34s on youtube and the rb26 really doesnt sound like that.

Its not exactly 'bad' per se, just inappropriate like as if its been dubbed in by someone who has actually never heard one in real life.

Volume is a bit lower, but sound overall is much better than in FM4. I noticed they adjusted, changed and even fixed(if needed) almost all of the samples. I remember the Ford transit in FM4 sounded like a V6. It now sounds like a 5 cylinder as it should. Some V12 cars have better samples and more accurate, like the SL65 and BMW 850Csi to mention a couple. V8's are an "eargasmic" experience. Even 4-bangers are a delight.

Sounds are indeed quieter, but much sharper and defined from the different camera angles. I would say it's indeed an improvement over previous games.

They did however messed up the Hummer H1. Sounds like a six cylinder diesel!! Forza messing up like this is unbelievable!! Although thanks to the endless custom options that the game has, you just put a bunch of Cummins stickers and play pretend :lol:

Hear hear! I absolutely love using the "headphones" setting and turning my sound system wayyy up. Wish they would fix the cartoony downshifting sounds on some cars though.

Hear hear! I absolutely love using the "headphones" setting and turning my sound system wayyy up. Wish they would fix the cartoony downshifting sounds on some cars though.
That is most likely a physics issue.

Gotta say I'm disappointed in the super GT Nissan. Given a typical 6 cylinder turbo sound. Normally you can expect forza cars to at least sound like they have the right number of cylinders. I hope it's a mistake and gets changed.

Gotta say I'm disappointed in the super GT Nissan. Given a typical 6 cylinder turbo sound. Normally you can expect forza cars to at least sound like they have the right number of cylinders. I hope it's a mistake and gets changed.
The super GT sounds exactly the same as the GTR LM FYI.

Really, a physics issue? THen why are some downshifting sounds so convincing while others sound cartoony? We're going on a straight road.. no bumps or turns...

Really, a physics issue? THen why are some downshifting sounds so convincing while others sound cartoony? We're going on a straight road.. no bumps or turns...
The variation in transmissions will mean some are more convincing than others.

Wait wait wait.

I thought the GT500 GT-Rs had a V8.. Did this change or something?

*edit*: It didn't. Why does it have a Turbo 6cyl sound sample?

*edit 2*: They actually *are* Turbocharged 4Cyls now to conform more closer to DTM Regulations.

Instead of sounding like this, as it should,..

It has seems to have a sound like this. And the turbo on the car isn't fully spooled until ~5500rpm which is annoying for low-speed turns.

Last edited:
Wait wait wait.

I thought the GT500 GT-Rs had a V8.. Did this change or something?

*edit*: It didn't. Why does it have a Turbo 6cyl sound sample?

Instead of sounding like this, as it should,..

It has seems to have a sound like this. And the turbo on the car isn't fully spooled until ~5500rpm which is annoying for low-speed turns.

They have turbo 4 cylinders now.

The variation in transmissions will mean some are more convincing than others.

The F40's downshifting sound is ecstasy-inducing to listen to IRL. Also, they had it nailed pretty good in F4 and 5.

Oh well, nothing can be done. One can only hope they give equal attention to ALL cars in the next game, cos' frankly speaking, certain engine sounds in F6 have blown me to tiny bits.

Go head... bring in the flak!

I know there are going to be many disagreements here, people will ask me to cough up proof in the form of videos and whatnot or "back up my claims".

How many of you honestly feel the engine/exhaust sounds are even on the SAME level as F5? Granted, the exhaust pops and crackles are fantastic, but the overall sound character of nearly every car feels basic and linear, as if they just decided to tweak the EQ and add more bass to certain cars or make them louder and more whiny. Prime example: absolutely hate how the SLS or F-type sounds. The P1 lost that beautiful growl from F5, even though the turbo blow-off valve sound got improved. The LaF sounds okay from chase view, but you shift to the first person views and it sounds so whiny and forced.. awful downshifting sound. Not convincing.

Some actually do sound good like the 599 GTO, LFA, One-77 but then again, they sounded more convincing in F5 already: the mids and woofer on my system are practically ovulating! Sorry, I couldn't use a better choice of words, but F5 sounds REALLY good even on more generic amps/speakers while F6 does not sound any better on higher-end 7.1 systems.

Where is that beautiful grunt, soul, depth and visceral dynamic range that was present in F5, even F4?

This needs to be discussed - are you ready to accept a game with more cars/tracks, rain and weather at the cost of basic and "make do" engine sounds?

Gosh, it upsets me how they set benchmarks in previous games and then do a rush job on the sounds. Is this because Caveizel (or was it Wisewell?) left the team?

It will be VERY hard to resist not getting a PS4 if they get the sounds right with Caveizel's help.

Last edited:
@RacerPaul

Man I appreciate the honest feedback. 👍

As a quick test just drive the Viper GTS in both games, or LaF and P1. I'm assuming you're on a sound system and not TV speakers.

You know what? I think I'm going for it now: I will clear out the space below my X1 and place the X360. Only problem is I'll have to disconnect the X1 power brick cord from the voltage stabilizer every time I want to play the 360, cos' there isn't enough room on the stabilizer to plug in both.. argh! :grumpy:

Do you remember how unbelievable the SLS AMG sounds in F4? It blew me away completely and I was at a loss for words to hear and feel how spot on the sound was.. it immediately became one of my favorite cars to drive just because of how accurately they recreated that fierce AMG growl.

Listen to that in F5 and it sounds all clean and humble though still close enough but not at F4 level. Listen to the SLS in F6, and it almost.. ALMOST sounds like a typical lawnmower sample from GT! :irked::irked::irked:

TV speakers unless I use my headphones. My gaming tv is in the lounge along with the
main tv that we watch

So not much point in a kick-ass sound system for my X1, the Mrs would do her nut :lol:

Hmmm, I suppose I could get one for when she's out though :cool:

Forza 4 was very distorted and generally samples were of so so quality, but yeah I guess it sounded very raw. I need to hook up my 360 again to check. Forza 6 sounds fine to me, it's not like there's a whole lot of games that sound better. In Pcars for example pretty much all the cars sound exactly the same to me and that transmission whine that carried over from shift days has been getting on my nerves for a while now.

Why did these need a separate thread, when you were having the exact same discussion here?

TV speakers unless I use my headphones. My gaming tv is in the lounge along with the
main tv that we watch

So not much point in a kick-ass sound system for my X1, the Mrs would do her nut :lol:

Hmmm, I suppose I could get one for when she's out though :cool:

Nothing beats the dynamic range and "oomph" of a good amp + speakers. However if you have a good gaming headset I suppose it would do, but you're really missing out.

Forza 4 was very distorted and generally samples were of so so quality, but yeah I guess it sounded very raw. I need to hook up my 360 again to check. Forza 6 sounds fine to me, it's not like there's a whole lot of games that sound better. In Pcars for example pretty much all the cars sound exactly the same to me and that transmission whine that carried over from shift days has been getting on my nerves for a while now.

The fix for that is to keep the focus on "tires"; the engine samples sound clean that way.

My only complaint against the sound in F6 is that it all sounds too artificial - from the cars to the reverb and ambient effects. F5 just sounded like a movie to me..that's how good the sounds are. I actually broke my DLC spell today.. bit the bullet and purchased my first DLC ever on XLive.. just to listen to the LaFerrari in FM5. Hotdaaaiiinnng they nailed the sound on that, which sounds terrible in F6. Makes my ears bleed.

PCARS... I will not even include it in the discussion cos' I did not like the sound in that game one bit from day one. There is almost no distinction and character between the cars.. and the racetrack/ambient effects are limited. It's not even a contender, sadly.

Back