Forza 4 + Kinect! Disaster or Revolution?

GTRL_Junior
protoapocalypse
*warning*
Please stay on topic, no bash talking please guys, let's keep this thread clean!

What do you think Kinetic will bring to the new series? Will it be a disarter or will it be the new revolution of a sim game?

In my opinion I think Forza will only get better with the best product of 2010 for sure. I mean looking at the hacks that this product can do I can only imagine what T10 is preparing to use for Forza 4.

What would you guys like to see Kinetic do for the new Forza 4?

Last edited:
I don't think Kinect is going to do anything to add to the experience. I think there will be one or two modes that even utilize Kinect (one being the photomode, interior thing that we've seen in a video.) I don't think Kinect has the technology to be able to see the slight movements of your feet, for throttle, clutch, brake, and even so, there are so many variables to having the room set up properly, it wouldn't work probably 90% of the time.

I think they're adding Kinect support so Microsoft can say they have some core titles that support Kinect. It won't work with regular racing, but in the mode where you're just overtaking, and only steering, it may work okay. Again, I don't think the more "hardcore" (I hate using that term) users are going to even bother using the Kinect, so I don't think it'll have a big impact on gameplay. I hope T10 doesn't spend a lot of time messing with the Kinect though, they need to fix a lot of things from Forza 3.

Still really looking forward to Forza 4 though,

Parker

Other than head tracking, the idea that people should sit on their couch playing 'air gutar" in a driving game is pretty stupid.

In fact the whole Move/Kinetic thing is stupid. We bought both setups a couple weeks ago and tried them out.
Returned both setups to Fry's and got our money back.

I was bored but when my 12 year old daughter said "the novelty is gone' you know ts a gimmick. The tryouts in store use large open expanses of real estate and you see grown mena nd women flailing their arms like drunk gorillas and wonder - what is the point? You are buyign a "virtual" keep fit game to keep in shape in real life by animating an avatar in a game?

Wow - talk about gimmick.

Now back to FM4 - even the idea of waving your arms like a nidiot while viewing an in game car - ?? Say what? LOL

Interesting observation mate. Let's see more opinions on this matter, I still think the possibilities are endless with Kinetic now what they will be able to do without affecting the hardcore players is another story. For me I would love to see the use of free hands while painting our cars, also to move our head 360 degrees around the car in cockpit view, pit stops, work as a team, change tires, fuel up the car and so on, you get the idea. Now of course I wouldn't like to see the use of no hands while driving the car, gas or braking I think that will break the game and upset a lot people if they do so, this is a sim not a arcade game.

They showed a demo of them using kinect with forza 3 earlier in the year you don't actually control the brakes or throttle you just steer (think of an air guitar). I think its stupid. Try to play for 15 minutes and see if you arms don't get tired. If your arms are on an actual steering wheel you can at least rest them.

You dont have to use the kinect if you dont want to.
Its just like Auto-Brake in FM3 but they added the accelartion part, all you have to do is steer. Preety boring.

How about neither? It's just "meh", a kinda cool gimmick which'll very minimally enhance the experience for those with Kinect and that's about all.

Using Kinect to steer is just a thoroughly terrible idea though.

Kinect is the new "thing". Every game has to have it, regardless of whether it actually brings anything to the table.

I saw the video the other day, and the one thing I thought immediately was "how in the hell are you supposed to drive a simulation game without shifting gears or even accelerating or braking?"

So no.. this is not doing much to convince me to buy a Kinect.

It only needs head-tracking free look in any of the first person views, cockpit, bonnet or bumper. Let it pan left/right and up/down. Lean forward for zoom lean back to unzoom and that's it.

Of course letting you flip the bird at a car you're passing would be a quite pleasing use as well!

Voice recognition for pit stop commands.

I actually think Kinect will make Forza worse

In order to make the game even somewhat controllable without any sort of tactile-response system (even analogue sticks have some kind of tactile feel) they will have to either a.) compromise the physics engine so much that it will become even more arcade like than the previous games or b.) assist the controls so much that the car is basically driving itself...which they were approaching in FM3. T10 is basically Microsoft's puppet, so if MS wants them to support kinnect, there will be nothing to stop it.

And for the person who said that they would love to be able to rotate their head 360 degrees and see the interior of the car, the problem still exists that when you do that, for around 180* of movement, you are looking away from the TV, so there is little point. Kinnect is purely a gimmick and I have a feeling it will tank within 6 months.

What Forza 4 desperately needs is not kinnect, but a reasonably priced, good quality steering wheel like the DFGT. They also need to tell the MS executives to **** off and let them do what they do best.

In my honest opinion, Kinect is pointless and potentially damaging to the game. Turn 10 are wasting precious development time that could be better used on updating things like the physics, graphics, features, tracks and cars. There is very little benefit in implementing Kinect in Forza 4, all it's doing is wasting time. Sure, it may be fun looking around the car using Kinect but that will soon become boring and pointless. Kinect does not belong in racing games as far as I'm concerned and Microsoft should stop forcing it upon us.

So far the good thing I got from some of you guys guys is that Kinetic is good for head tracking only. Wow I mean is that the only thing Kinetic is good for? I mean if you guys were to use it, how would you implement it into the game if not why?

So far the good thing I got from some of you guys guys is that Kinetic is good for head tracking only. Wow I mean is that the only thing Kinetic is good for? I mean if you guys were to use it, how would you implement it into the game if not why?

It has no other use - period. As pointed out it is a tactileless input mechanism.

Driving is a tactilefilled activity.

Head tracking. Nothing else, there really is no other reason. I even tried to imagine a menu navigaiton by pointing, but even that would get old in 37 seconds flat. ;)

I have a Kinect and enjoy it but I think Turn 10 is just doing this so Microsoft can pad the number of core games being released with Kinect features next year. The whole "look around the car" thing would be cool with or without Kinect as well, so I think it's just a bullet point for the box.

In my honest opinion, Kinect is pointless and potentially damaging to the game. Turn 10 are wasting precious development time that could be better used on updating things like the physics, graphics, features, tracks and cars. There is very little benefit in implementing Kinect in Forza 4, all it's doing is wasting time. Sure, it may be fun looking around the car using Kinect but that will soon become boring and pointless. Kinect does not belong in racing games as far as I'm concerned and Microsoft should stop forcing it upon us.

Agreed, yea its cool for that first "wow" factor when you can look around the car, but thats about it. And who would honestly want to drive a car with a pretend steering wheel in their hands? Corny.

For me is like 3D for GT5: Sony and Microsoft want this stupid things for marketing ( their 3D tv for example ) and for great software house like PD and Turn 10 is a waste of time. For this i want so bad Turn 10 or PD on pc!

Well I actually really like the 3D in GT5. It was time well spent for those of us that do have 3D already. For those of you that don't it's helping to push the technology and it is the future of TV and gaming.

As for Kinect hopefully it is going to have a good headtracking feature. Even if Forza 4 has a Kinect feature for driving it will still support wheels and that's all that really matters for real Sim Racers. I'm sure it will be a great game and those new technologies are very important. Microsoft and Sony aren't pushing them on anybody, but having the capabilities will help push the brand and help with future releases.

Possible useful kinnect activities in F4:

- Head Tracking (most obvious!)
- operate buttons in cockpit (like starter, differential buttons on certain racing car's wheel, etc...)
- Change yourself the tires during a pitstop mini game

Since Kinect is optional anyway, Forza will not make any substantial use of it. Pretty much just head tracking and an optional casual arcade mode for auto-drive like Joy Ride.

Kinect will have no impact on the actual game simulation aspect.

Well I actually really like the 3D in GT5. It was time well spent for those of us that do have 3D already. For those of you that don't it's helping to push the technology and it is the future of TV and gaming.

I sure as hell hope its not the future of TV and gaming, it gives me a bloody headache after a short while. 3D movie in the cinema once every few months, sure, kinda interesting, staring at it all the time, eww, stay away please. I hope it stays a fad and dies a quick death.

Anyway, I'm in agreement about Kinect. Has no real place in a racing sim. Headtracking maybe, but I dont know if it has high enough resolution to do headtracking. Honestly I dont even care for headtracking though. 3 screens is cool, the one screen panning just doesn't really appeal to me.

In my personal opinion having more options is always better than not having at all? or is it just me?

I am working on my list for Kinetic as well, some crazy ideas in my head right now, I will post it as soon as possible.

Well the Kinect thing imo can only be bad for the game. I do not think it will add anything that would interest me in the slightest and it will take much programming time away from other much more useful features.

That said if they bring back the public lobbies like were in Forza 2 and do something about the AWD dominance then I will buy the game. This is assuming of course that Kinect is optional and the game is fully functional without it. If Kinect is required then the game will stay in that stores and if they follow the Forza 3 blue print for public lobbies and AWD dominace then I have little interest in it.

I would honestly rather have an updated copy of Forza 2.

There isn't lots of extra programming for Kinect, it has toolsets. It's only if you want to build the entire game around Kinect that it would take time, to merely receive inputs from kinect is easy, much like reading the info from a controller, you just need to have the overhead free to implement it.

Personally, I think Kinect will be most useful for FPS in conjuction with the controller because you will be able to glance left/right, up/down without changing your forward aim.

If you want to know how good kinect can be for racing sim's just look up Track IR on youtube and see it running on the PC and it's far more primitive than kinect, but much better implemented than GT5's headtracking

Kinect is nothing more than more disaster for this franchise. FM3 was a quantum step backwards, removing feature after feature that had to do with racing so they could add stuff like video leaderboards, badly done cockpit views and a storefront.

Those that believe it won't affect the game when, not if, they add this kinect junk are fooling themselves. It won't be the kinect driving that kills it in itself. But the fact that so much disk space will be eaten up so you can walk around your car and open doors that sacrifices to other things will have to be made. And you can bet they won't be cutting any painting or economy related features to make kinect work. So, it'll be yet more stuff that racers want taken out.

It'll sell more copies to casual players, I bet. Real players will still just use a real wheel. The Kinect support will likely add nothing of usable substance except maybe head tracking.

Latest Posts

Back