Forza 4 Sound vs GT5 Sound

No, they really don't.

While I would agree, in the lower spec cars, Forza does embelish the sounds quite a lot but the base sound is correct with some simple post effects added to make them sound more beastly for people using very basic audio systems. Another weak point in Forza is Overrun and gear changes especially in high end european cars.

I'm sure it's great for them but for people like me with large speakers or high end headsets it doesn't make sense and I'm sure most of us would like the option for "raw" sounds so to speak. That said, the cars in Forza sound real. They sound like real engines in real cars through real exhausts. They have that ever present dirtyness to them that real performance cars have.

Every time I listen to some sort of recording of GT5 wether it's off screen or direct feed I always hear the same clinical synthetic noise with every car.

Holy exhaust and engine Batman. Both great games but Forza has better sound, no doubt. Love the Lambo sounds.

Ah, the usual reasoning from a GT fan why something is better. "It's that feel, that touch, you can't describe it. It's definitely better though for that reason though, yup".

It's called the ability to have abstract concepts. You seem to lack this ability and simply see things in a more realistic, factual way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, in many cases that's probably better.

But that doesn't mean you need to shoot people down just because you don't share the same viewpoint as them. Many of us feel an actual unique sensation when playing a GT game, it's a completely legitimate reason even though I even think that it's pretty poor to use it as a defense for GT.

I get a certain feeling playing Forza that's different than what I feel with GT. Same with a Codemaster's game. Same with rFactor. Each game has a unique mood and feel to it.

Unlike others here unfortunately, I'm not about to make any comments concerning you not liking people making these abstract concepts in their minds of the moods they get when they play games.

But I will say that you shouldn't completely dismiss this simply because you don't see it the same way.

EDIT: Not trying to act like a mini-mod, but if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't in the correct place, ignoring the fact that there's already a thread for this discussion.

but more annoying being that they do a really bad job of telling you where they are in relation to the "camera."

Agreed.

It's not so much the doppler effects but just the way volumes are handled at different distances as well as sounds for in car cameras. They are quite a bit too "clear" and don't sound "incar" enough.

And thread for this again?

Forza has GT5 beat on sounds throughout the majority of cars. I am strictly talking about premium cars I could care less about standards. But some in my opinion are a real as it gets on GT5. Some it depends on the RPMs that you hear the sound.

Having finally played Forza 4 (and going off youtube videos and race footage for the simple fact that they are as close as I'll ever get to many of the cars), here's my unbiased opinion:

GT5: While I strongly feel there are some darn good exceptions, GT5 lacks overall consistancy, has major distortion and actual sound issues. Some cars use synthetic engine sounds going all the way back to GT1, some kinda have some decently close realistic sound buried underneith all that, others I simply have a hard time trying to explain. For instance, the sound for any Subaru Race Car sounds terrible and it doesn't make it better that certain DTM cars got their sounds replaced with it. It doesn't at all sound like a real car.

Forza: In complete contrast, Forza has this tendency to sort've be exaggerated when it comes to sound, not to the extent that NFS has (to the point where stock road cars that don't even have gearwhine in real life have them in the game) but still noticable. The cars are actually good at low end. Once you get them in higher revs, they go abit overboard. For instance, the 787B is amazing at idle and low revs. When it goes beyond that however, it becomes higher pitched then the actual car, comes off abit artificial.

Overall, I feel both could use some work on some sounds. Its kinda depressing because Turn 10 clearly has it worked out, they just need to fix the artificial sound at the higher range. PD has shown they can at least get something decent going (as demonstraited by their numerous attempts to correct the Honda HSV-010), they need to do this and keep it consistant for all cars instead of only a handful.

Thats my honest feelings about it. I still like both, just wished both sounded better.

Last edited:
In GT5 when you change cars, the engine starts and the cars revs slightly (you all know what I mean), that sounds is as close as close can to be real life sounds, so PD clearly have the correct engine notes in the game, just why they couldn't move them sounds to the cars when you drive them is strange. So to be fair Pd do have the ability to beat forzas sounds, but they just didn't do it...

Except I'm a big fan of both games.
If you'd like to try again without resorting to petty flinging matches that would be appreciated.

I'm sorry but it just irritates me when people compare the games and say one is better because of "feel" or "something I can't describe" and things along that line. Car sounds are car sounds, they either sound close to the real thing or they don't.

I'm sorry but it just irritates me when people compare the games and say one is better because of "feel" or "something I can't describe" and things along that line. Car sounds are car sounds, they either sound close to the real thing or they don't.

No I get what you mean, really I do.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saving GT5 is amazing in the sound department by any means, it most certainly needs a lot of work.

However, I prefer the way sound is delivered in GT to how it is in Forza. I know you say you hate it when people use abstract methods of describing something that by all rights should be factual and black and white but.. I really can't describe why I prefer the way GT5 sounds..

I know, factually speaking I should prefer Forza, I know their recording method is better and I know most everyone prefers it and praises its sound..

Only I don't. I always find that I prefer the overall atmosphere of GT5's sounds (If I had to pick between those two and not consider any other titles of course)

Again, both are far from perfect and both need serious work at the end of the day. 👍

And thread for this again?

Forza has GT5 beat on sounds throughout the majority of cars. I am strictly talking about premium cars I could care less about standards. But some in my opinion are a real as it gets on GT5. Some it depends on the RPMs that you hear the sound.

From what I've heard, the premium cars are barely any better than the standards. They get the tones better but they still have the same synthetic sounds that every car has.

From what I've heard, the premium cars are barely any better than the standards. They get the tones better but they still have the same synthetic sounds that every car has.

You heard wrong.

Lamborghini Gallardo.

Ferrari 458.

Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

Aston Martin DB9.

Lexus LFA.

Nissan GT-R.

Cizeta V16T.

Nissan Z33.

I would love it if you'd show me one of those cars that has the "Same synthetic tones that every car has.

Considering you've said "from what I've heard," it sounds as though you haven't actually really played the game.

Perhaps you should find things out for yourself instead of simply going by the hasty assumptions made by others.

The sound department needs huge work, most of the sounds aren't perfect, that I'll admit. But some of them (especially those in the list I made above) aren't very far off.

Lamborghini Gallardo.

Same synthetic sound that plagues GT5.

Ferrari 458.

I can hear the synthetic sound in this but it isn't all that bad. Would rate this sound "acceptable".

Same as the Gallardo. More of the same synthetic vacuum cleaner esque sounds.

Aston Martin DB9.

More like the Ferrari 458. Can hardly hear any synthetic noise. Again, would rate acceptable

Lexus LFA.

More synthetic noise. Especially just after the shift. At the very top of the rev range, it sounds ok but every shift just destroys the illusion.

Nissan GT-R.

Another acceptable sound from GT5. Turbo rush sounds strange though.

Cizeta V16T.

Not sure how to describe this. It's got the synthetic noise but it's mostly drowned out by something that sounds like a 1930s bentley. No idea if it's accurate or not.

Nissan Z33.

And finally, more synthetic noise from the Z33

So, in closing, as I said, premiums might get the tones better and or closer to real life but they still get the same synthetic noise that plagues GT5. That synthetic noise is why people say GT5s cars sound like vacuum cleaners because, well, it's probably the best way to describe it.

I wouldn't say a vacuum cleaner, but many of GT5's car sounds seem to have a faint "flanger effect" to them. Maybe that's what people are hearing when they say "synthetic"? Or the "ooooooeeeeeeoooooooo" sound :lol:? I dunno.

Lamborghini Gallardo.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVgVlqF0Qg">YouTube Link</a>
Same synthetic sound that plagues GT5.

Ferrari 458.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsx9E_BDGI">YouTube Link</a>
I can hear the synthetic sound in this but it isn't all that bad. Would rate this sound "acceptable".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybzRAu9HXxI">YouTube Link</a>
Same as the Gallardo. More of the same synthetic vacuum cleaner esque sounds.

Aston Martin DB9.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XacvWSlxDI">YouTube Link</a>
More like the Ferrari 458. Can hardly hear any synthetic noise. Again, would rate acceptable

Lexus LFA.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22vLH9Zy0E">YouTube Link</a>
More synthetic noise. Especially just after the shift. At the very top of the rev range, it sounds ok but every shift just destroys the illusion.

Nissan GT-R.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22vLH9Zy0E">YouTube Link</a>
Another acceptable sound from GT5. Turbo rush sounds strange though.

Cizeta V16T.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44EBFVUz9w">YouTube Link</a>
Not sure how to describe this. It's got the synthetic noise but it's mostly drowned out by something that sounds like a 1930s bentley. No idea if it's accurate or not.

Nissan Z33.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oge8_IuH_ew">YouTube Link</a>
And finally, more synthetic noise from the Z33

So, in closing, as I said, premiums might get the tones better and or closer to real life but they still get the same synthetic noise that plagues GT5. That synthetic noise is why people say GT5s cars sound like vacuum cleaners because, well, it's probably the best way to describe it.

Sorry, you're right. Sorta.

I usually use cockpit view which really seems to eliminate alot of that synthetic sound that you get from cease view, especially in cars like the Gallardo.

I will admit that some of those cars do have a synthetic tone. But I will say that if they could eliminate that synthetic sound that seems to be so prominent in some situations, there's a good sound buried deep in there somewhere.

Like with the Gallardo, it sounds pretty close to the real thing. Except it's been suffocated beneath that weird synthetic sound. Although like I said, this also seems to be much more noticeable in chase/replay view as compared to cockpit, not sure why though.

ReverenceSatans
Not exactly. I have said this in the thread discussing between the two games that FM4 has GT5 beat on a lot of cars but not all.

One true way to hear the cars as I have said before is to have proper equipment (as in a wheel with a clutch and H pattern shifter)
Yes some of the cars in GT5 sound bad not all. Some sound almost identical to the real thing. For example the Lamborghini Gallardo. Shift with the proper equipment as said before at a low or high RPM while slowly riding off the clutch and it sounds as close as you are going to get.

Some of the cars in GT5 sound closer to the real thing in a low to mid range RPM and some in a mid to high range RPM.
Some in both.
KinLM
You heard wrong.

Lamborghini Gallardo.

Ferrari 458.

Aston Martin DB9.

Lexus LFA.

Nissan GT-R.

Cizeta V16T.

Nissan Z33.

I would love it if you'd show me one of those cars that has the "Same synthetic tones that every car has.

Considering you've said "from what I've heard," it sounds as though you haven't actually really played the game.

Perhaps you should find things out for yourself instead of simply going by the hasty assumptions made by others.

The sound department needs huge work, most of the sounds aren't perfect, that I'll admit. But some of them (especially those in the list I made above) aren't very far off.

Well said and I agree with you on those cars though I haven't heard the Cizeta V16T. The GTR I hate driving because the clutch doesn't work on it because of its transmission in accordance with the real one (which I was surprised that PD actually made that realistic).

But yeah speaking of the Z33 like i have said before the Gran-Turismo 350z RS (which its true name is the Amuze/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350z RS) sounds almost identical to the real thing (as in parts used on the car which I have heard one with the same exhaust system). That car sounds identical from engine start to about 8/10th of the RPMs to the real life stats.

Neither game is perfect but neither is completely wrong (once again mainly talking about premium cars on GT5).

I own both consoles and I own Gran Turismo 5 , Forza 4 and Forza Horizon. I have spent hours over hours in all of those games. And definitely GT5 sounds are the least of all.
The sound is just wrong because too many things are missing. The gear changes sound not natural, because from one to another moment the RPM changes and the sound sample just skips to that point of recording. Then way more things are missing, proper blow off sounds of the Turbos, in-take sounds. They do all sound the same. In Forza you have unique stock ones and different ones as you install single turbos or twin turbos, then you got still options to use street or race turbos, which sound different then aswell.
When you downshift in GT5 there is no blobbing no wobble I dont know how to describe it but its just missing the overall sound a car does under pressure. The Diablo SV in Forza 4 is just wow, I have times when I just start the game for driving the V12 beast for shifting and put full throttle because that scream is just epic.
And I don't lie there are cars in GT5 I dont drive because of the horrible sound. Best example is the Nissan Skyline R34 Touring car (DLC pack), that noise is so disgusting that I can't use it. I don't even know what it's supposed to be :scared:

Forza sounds aren't perfect neither but way beyond GT5, and I think Horizon does a better job than Forza 4 because too many small low powered cars sound stock already like tuned monsters. While Horzion seems to have them like the real deal.

One true way to hear the cars as I have said before is to have proper equipment (as in a wheel with a clutch and H pattern shifter).

First time I've ever heard someone claim controllers change sound samples...

IThe gear changes sound not natural, because from one to another moment the RPM changes and the sound sample just skips to that point of recording.

To be fair, Forza does the same thing.

It does, but mainly on gear changing - I often race online with clutch+wheel users, Fanatec and G27 drivers mainly, they usually use shifter, when I am near them or watch the race replay, there's subtle sound differences when changing gears up/down, throttle blip when they do heel/toe. Also I always blip the throttle when downshifting and I am using stick, sounds different than just pressing the down shift button. When I shift up, sometimes I lift off the throttle before pressing the shift up button, it does make a subtle difference.

To be fair, Forza does the same thing.

It does, but there is the clutch between the changes.

While in GT5 it doesnt really excist unless you use a wheel.

Forza sounds aren't perfect neither but way beyond GT5, and I think Horizon does a better job than Forza 4 because too many small low powered cars sound stock already like tuned monsters. While Horzion seems to have them like the real deal.
I agree, Horizon definitely backed off from FM4's overblown, clipped-to-hell-and-back samples. For whatever reason, we lost some of the off-throttle detail and a few engines are just wacky (NSX GT), but I like the end result better.

Neither GT5, FM4, nor FH do as well in the sound department as a number of other racing games have in the past decade, IMO, but given the variety of engine types, FM4/FH do an admirable job of distinguishing them.

I agree, Horizon definitely backed off from FM4's overblown, clipped-to-hell-and-back samples. For whatever reason, we lost some of the off-throttle detail and a few engines are just wacky (NSX GT), but I like the end result better.

Neither GT5, FM4, nor FH do as well in the sound department as a number of other racing games have in the past decade, IMO, but given the variety of engine types, FM4/FH do an admirable job of distinguishing them.

Yes I second that.
I just hope PD takes notes for GT6, but hearing from Kaz GT5 sounds are just too realistic was just.... scary! :nervous:

My one gripe with FM4's sound is that I can hear the "high-RPM" sound fade in, covering up the "low-RPM". I truly don't know how to put this.

A bad one is the Viper ACR. When in low RPMs, you'll hear the engine's rumble and all but as you climb the revs to about mid-high RPMs, and listen carefully, you can hear the "high-RPM" sound fade in. I don't know how else to describe it, but I hate it.

DonZonda
The sound is just wrong because too many things are missing. The gear changes sound not natural, because from one to another moment the RPM changes and the sound sample just skips to that point of recording.

When you downshift in GT5 there is no blobbing no wobble I dont know how to describe it but its just missing the overall sound a car does under pressure.

Like i have said before the true way to hear that in GT5 is with a wheel with a clutch and H pattern shifter. All of the things I just quoted you on is actually in GT5. Read what i said in my last post. Also I can prove that if you don't have access to said wheel

Eks
My one gripe with FM4's sound is that I can hear the "high-RPM" sound fade in, covering up the "low-RPM". I truly don't know how to put this.

A bad one is the Viper ACR. When in low RPMs, you'll hear the engine's rumble and all but as you climb the revs to about mid-high RPMs, and listen carefully, you can hear the "high-RPM" sound fade in. I don't know how else to describe it, but I hate it.

Real exhaust notes aren't linear.

Sounds the same as it does in FM4 exluding horrible microphone quality and windnoise (which FM4 lacks).

Not exactly. I have said this in the thread discussing between the two games that FM4 has GT5 beat on a lot of cars but not all.

One true way to hear the cars as I have said before is to have proper equipment (as in a wheel with a clutch and H pattern shifter)
Yes some of the cars in GT5 sound bad not all. Some sound almost identical to the real thing. For example the Lamborghini Gallardo. Shift with the proper equipment as said before at a low or high RPM while slowly riding off the clutch and it sounds as close as you are going to get.

I've heard it all now. A wheel with a clutch can change the engine sounds.

It says it all when the standard cars sound better, the standard subarus sound far better than there premium variants.

Eks

I don't know if I would call it fading in, but iirc, there's a couple cars where as soon as the RPMs reach 1,500-2,000, maybe a little more, you can hear the pitch change.

Doesn't really take away from whether or not the car sounds accurate or not, but it's a little annoying if you happen to catch it at slow speeds. I think FH may have solved it, but I haven't tried to find out either.

Blending more than one sample is surely necessary to produce the right range of sound. Whether or not it's pulled off smoothly/accurately is another thing.

Then you have an opposite case like upgraded Honda VTECs, which are so abrupt you can easily figure out at what RPM the cams switch over. I never spent much time with Hondas in FM4, but that effect is certainly replicated in Horizon.

Yes you hear the VTEC crossover in Horizon and FM4 very well. The "kick in" is very well reproduced, while in GT5 they sound like hairdryers or what ever...

Back