Forza 5/6 vs GT6 (See First Post Before Posting)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 1,727 comments
United States
Bozeman
djespeed
djespeed
I've been noticing a lot of debating in the Xbox One/FM5 thread, so I'm creating this thread to divert some of that steam over here.

I hope this is alright, mods & admins.

Edit, 11.29.13
There will be no:
-Flamebaiting
-Ad hominem (personal attacks, just to save you a google search)

Keep the discussion relevant to Forza Motorsport 5, Gran Turismo 6, and any comparisons/contrasts. Most of all, folks, keep it clean.
-espeed623

(Feel free to edit this post as needed, mods)

Last edited:
Only thing shown for Forza 5 is two cars and a new track. Can't do any comparisons right now, not until E3.

What I have read about GT6 is somewhat worrying though; no improvements to the damage model and sound effects, and standard models are still in the game. All of that sucks. At least we'll get 7 more tracks, which is exciting, and DLC is laid out from the very beginning this time, which is great, that even includes track DLC, so more tracks beyond what ships on the disc is even cooler. Hopefully the physics improvements are nice, we'll known more about that in July with the academy demo.

Historically speaking, Forza has always been a way better quality racing series. Turn-10 has consistently put out a really solid racing simulation that has always been pretty fun to play, while offering a lot of improvements each time, and a lot of content. So I am way more sold on Forza 5 then I am GT6 just based on that.

The video over in the GT6 section that shows the GT cars on the ring looks very good. As does all the info I have saw about the new physics.

True we know very little about FM5 other than the system required to run it is not looking to appealing for us Fanatec users.

GT6 on the other hand has me a bit pumped up and expectations are on the rise. I could care less about the damage model. Better sound would be nice and the cars that were standards are no longer standards really. They should look better or at least the ones that looked the worst some of them already looked very good. Standards in this case also do not concern me and I would rather have them in there than not because there are a lot of cool cars in that group.

You can bet that there are several other new things yet to find out about GT6.

Forza has not really added that much in each game or at least not that I felt added much to the game and they have taken a few things away that should have been left

FM3 added Ability to gift tunes, Storefront, cockpits and a few cool tracks
FM3 took away ability to tune in lobbys, User created public races, local leaderboards, career leaderboards
FM4 added rivals and sorta tried to fix the User created public race but still not as good as before and added a couple cool tracks but also took away a couple of cool tracks.

Forza 4 also added clubs, a much improved tire model, better sound (albeit with the dial turned to 11 now), improved physics, and amazing Top Gear integration. However I will be sorely disappointed if they don't give us new wheels. The same selection for FM3, FM4, and Horizon is nothing short of frustrating.

I'd say GT6 has more to prove than FM5. A lot was promised with GT5 and personally I felt they missed the mark on many accounts. FM4 however was a fairly solid follow up to FM3 (understanding the points you made are valid HBR).

Isn't this the first time they have gone wheel to wheel at release? I think they have always alternated years on release.

Could be an interesting sales war which GT6 will win by virtue of being on the console everyone already has.

Isn't this the first time they have gone wheel to wheel at release? I think they have always alternated years on release.
Actually Forza Motorsport (1) went toe-to-toe with Gran Turismo 4. The next two FM games appeared before GT5, and FM4 was released a year after GT5.

The video over in the GT6 section that shows the GT cars on the ring looks very good. As does all the info I have saw about the new physics.

True we know very little about FM5 other than the system required to run it is not looking to appealing for us Fanatec users.

GT6 on the other hand has me a bit pumped up and expectations are on the rise. I could care less about the damage model. Better sound would be nice and the cars that were standards are no longer standards really. They should look better or at least the ones that looked the worst some of them already looked very good. Standards in this case also do not concern me and I would rather have them in there than not because there are a lot of cool cars in that group.

You can bet that there are several other new things yet to find out about GT6.

Forza has not really added that much in each game or at least not that I felt added much to the game and they have taken a few things away that should have been left

FM3 added Ability to gift tunes, Storefront, cockpits and a few cool tracks
FM3 took away ability to tune in lobbys, User created public races, local leaderboards, career leaderboards
FM4 added rivals and sorta tried to fix the User created public race but still not as good as before and added a couple cool tracks but also took away a couple of cool tracks.

So GT6 gets kudos from you for a new physics model, but FM has not added much over the series? Apart that is from massive improvements in the physics, particularly in regard to tyres and suspension.

Spot the problem with your approach here?

The video over in the GT6 section that shows the GT cars on the ring looks very good.

I would say that comes down to GT having better modeled tracks than FM has had(which we already knew). I don't think you can make any other conclusions from that video.

GT4 and FM1 were only separated by a few months(at least the EU releases).

Being on an already-existing console I fear that Gran Turismo 6 will get more sales.

Note the phrase "I fear." Because with what's being proposed I fear it's not going to be much of an improvement on GT5.

Fresh console with fresh specs means that I reckon Forza 5 is going to be leaps and bounds better in quality. Then again on an aging console Forza 4 was already quite a ways ahead in quality on GT5 anyway in my opinion.

So GT6 gets kudos from you for a new physics model, but FM has not added much over the series? Apart that is from massive improvements in the physics, particularly in regard to tyres and suspension.

Spot the problem with your approach here?
Forza 4 has added several things that did not appeal to me and some actually harmed the game for many of us. They also removed some things that I feel would have been much better left alone and most of the people I race with would say the same thing.

IN FM4 the tire and physics models have been changed in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worse. I would not say there has been massive improvement there. Some improvement, some parts the same and some a bit backwards.

It looks like the improvements in the GT6 physics are indeed massive but we shall have to wait and see it that holds true.

FM has made mods along the way for sure, some good some bad some of no concern but when it comes to things that actually add to my game experience they have actually removed as much or more than they have added.

Even the web site was better before Forza 3 was announced.

Forza 4 has added several things that did not appeal to me and some actually harmed the game for many of us. They also removed some things that I feel would have been much better left alone and most of the people I race with would say the same thing.

IN FM4 the tire and physics models have been changed in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worse. I would not say there has been massive improvement there. Some improvement, some parts the same and some a bit backwards.

It looks like the improvements in the GT6 physics are indeed massive but we shall have to wait and see it that holds true.

FM has made mods along the way for sure, some good some bad some of no concern but when it comes to things that actually add to my game experience they have actually removed as much or more than they have added.

Even the web site was better before Forza 3 was announced.

Hmm. Maybe that's why I always got bored with Forza 4, didn't see anything new other than the physics. Didn't really understand what was amazing about it, guess that's why I didn't jump out of my chair when I saw Forza 5. Will have to wait and see at E3 than I guess... *Shrugs*

Hmm. Maybe that's why I always got bored with Forza 4, didn't see anything new other than the physics. Didn't really understand what was amazing about it, guess that's why I didn't jump out of my chair when I saw Forza 5. Will have to wait and see at E3 than I guess... *Shrugs*

I feel the same way about GT. I never found it exciting. We'll see if that changes but I'm not expecting much.

Posted this in general physics GT6 thread, I thought this would be relevant here :

Taken from Gran Turismo Forum at SCEE site http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series-General/GT6-News-Media-and-Comments/m-p/40435659:

I was listening to this week's Midweek Motorsport (Series 8 Episode 19) on Radio Le Mans and they briefly talked about GT6. They were at the Silverstone event and the Nurburgring 24h, so what they said could be accurate. Nick Daman had this to say about the new tire physics:

"(Polyphony) are really moving ever more into the hardcore sim environment... They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road; be they old fashion cross plys; be they modern radials; be they slicks... If you've got a car that's running on old fashion high-sidewall tires, even if it's got the same amount of grip, it's NOT going to handle the same way. And they've modeled all of that... snip...You can get new wheels for (a car). You get the new wheels, it's not to make it look different, it will make it handle different with the new wheels... (adding larger diameter wheels) will change the way it handles."

GT6 is really sounding more and more impresive!

snip....

If you've never listened to a live broadcast by Radio Le Mans or listened to one of their many podcasts, please do so; they are great, and they cover all things motorsport. Their website is www.radiolemans.com and this episode of of Midweek Motorsport can be listened to directly here or on iTunes. GT6 is mentioned in the final 10 minutes.

Interesting. They've caught up with something their console competitor introduced four years ago.

Interesting. They've caught up with something their console competitor introduced four years ago.

Funny how when Forza does something, it's completely ignored. When GT does it, headlines are made.

The only regret I have with making the switch from GT to Forza is I have to see all of these people creating reasons as why not to like Forza.

I would say that comes down to GT having better modeled tracks than FM has had(which we already knew). I don't think you can make any other conclusions from that video.
I don't think this is necessarily true. For the tracks both game seem to share, I believe someone pointed out just how out of date GT's Laguna Seca was in comparison to Forza, just as GT had a better Nurburgring; looks like it could go either way with who has better modeled tracks in terms of accuracy.

We're not supposed to point these things out.

Every one of the cars in the GT6 reveal trailer, bar the Tesla, KTM and the Rocket (literally forgot those two), Forza also already has - but that's beside the point.

I don't think this is necessarily true. For the tracks both game seem to share, I believe someone pointed out just how out of date GT's Laguna Seca was in comparison to Forza, just as GT had a better Nurburgring; looks like it could go either way with who has better modeled tracks in terms of accuracy.

Out of date is different from inaccurate. Unfortunately, course get changes relatively frequently but it is very expensive and time consuming to remodel tracks so you can't expect them to always be up to date. iRacing's Limerock track was laser scanned so it was very accurate but Limerock has new curbing and a new chicane so it is currently out of date. I don't know when iRacing scanned Laguna Seca but it compares very favourably with GT5.

On the other hand the Nurburgring and Road Atlanta in Forza are horrendous. Outside of iRacing, I don't think that anyone does a better job of tracks than PD.

GT5's Laguna is pretty bad in general in addition to being circa-1999 in terms of layout. Track landmarks are all placed wrong, very few of the corners are angled properly or have proper camber, and few of the runoffs are right.

GT5's Laguna is pretty bad in general in addition to being circa-1999 in terms of layout. Track landmarks are all placed wrong, very few of the corners are angled properly or have proper camber, and few of the runoffs are right.

I disagree. I've gone back and forth between the two because I thought that GT was missing camber changes and such only to find that GT did do it right. The cars just weren't reacting the same. The only landmarks that were different that I use were the trees when looking down the corkscrew. They were shifted over. In pcars they are just a mass of trees. Runoffs change. iRacings mosport is now wrong because they pave some of the runoffs this year. Any differences aren't nearly as bad as how Forza butchered Road Atlanta or Nurburgring.

GT5's Laguna Seca is a joke. I understand people prefer GT5 for a number of reasons, but as (for example) Deep Forest and Trial Mountain look PS2-ish (and rightfully so, they are "standard" ported PS2 tracks), Laguna Seca looks like a bad joke.

The ones that are not funny.

Well, if it fixes some of GT5's faults, like atrocious menu responsiveness, lack of a decent grip feeling, dull GT mode and tearing galore, then it's fine for me :)

Edit : And all of this doesn't seem out of reach (which doesn't mean PD will deliver of course).

Back