Forza 5/6 vs GT6 (See First Post Before Posting)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 1,727 comments
HBK
Well, if it fixes some of GT5's faults, like atrocious menu responsiveness, lack of a decent grip feeling, dull GT mode and tearing galore, then it's fine for me :)

Edit : And all of this doesn't seem out of reach (which doesn't mean PD will deliver of course).

The Silverstone GT6 demo suffered from framerate issues. Probably an early build, but no excuse considering it was just one car on track and no time or weather effects. And this was the first time people would have hands on with the game.

Snake1405
If GT6 can improve this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_G1ph_vA

I will be happy.

The Nurburgring is the best part of GT5. But improving upon what you already did good (like physics and the Ring) while letting other issues such as sound and damage fester isn't the best idea.

Thanks to next gen hardware, Forza 5 has much greater potential then GT6. Cant wait to see what Turn 10 has in store at E3

The Silverstone GT6 demo suffered from framerate issues. Probably an early build, but no excuse considering it was just one car on track and no time or weather effects. And this was the first time people would have hands on with the game.
I have little hope regarding GT6 in that regard. The PS3 can only do so much. But an improved physics engine, decent menu responsiveness and a compelling GT Mode doesn't seem out of reach.

The Nurburgring is the best part of GT5. But improving upon what you already did good (like physics and the Ring) while letting other issues such as sound and damage fester isn't the best idea.

Thanks to next gen hardware, Forza 5 has much greater potential then GT6. Cant wait to see what Turn 10 has in store at E3

One of the best things in that video besides the high realism of the track, is the sound of the real Zonda, and that's what I want. Is not that I don't like the "vacuum cleaner" sound, that's normal in others cars, I mean the sound of the engine and the sound of the "cage" in racing cars. I can't see the same realism (graphically) in Forza than in GT, and I think that's the stronger point. If they are modifying the physics and graphics in GT6, that's a great improvement too.

What will qualify GT6 as an improvement of this in your eyes?(if I may ask)

I said it up :)

A comparison and/or discussion/debate would not really be justified at this moment in time.

Not until we see some actual gameplay footage or get to try out a demo.

Interesting. They've caught up with something their console competitor introduced four years ago.
This is kinda funny. Forza 3 made a big deal about this and we [my racing circle and I ] were pumped for Forza 3 as much as any game that has ever been released but then we got the game and played it we were sorely disappointing. The changes they had bragged so much about were barely noticeable in game. The ABS no longer worked properly. The Online Lobbies that we loved so much were gone. The ability to tune in a lobby was gone. The local leaderboards gone, the career leaderboards gone. The web based leaderboards were broken and still have not been fixed to work as well as they did in Forza 2. The PI system was broken and almost forced you to drive AWD everywhere and of course we all like to drive RWD.

Many of the people I used to race with on a very regular basis left the series and have not been back. Some returned to Forza 2 and some just quit playing Xbox completely.

In FM3 they added Lemans, Fuji and Rally Positano. They also added the ability to gift tunes and load them so that parts were applied automatically which was a good thing.

Of course they added drag racing, storefront, drifiting the benchmark tracks and then NB GP as DLC. They modified career mode quite a lot but IMO not for the better. They added the hoppers which I have never liked.

In FM4 they did give us back some form of Public User created lobby but with the Hoppers the User lobbies just are not the same as they were before FM3 but at least they did do something about it. They added Rivals which is very cool. They added the Alps tracks which are very cool but they took away Bugatti and Rally Positano which is not cool. They did correct the AWD nonsense.

They added some other things improved the tire physics a bit though they still have along way to go and there are issues with suspension physics some which were also in Forza 3 and some new ones. Overall I would not say the physics are that great in FM4 but they are a bit better than they were in FM3.

I can say that I was much happier with Forza 4 than I was with 3 but I still think 2 was the better game so when I hear people talking about all the leaps and bounds Forza has made from one version to the next I just have to laugh a bit.

Of course There were also things that were better in GT4 than in GT5 tire wear for example was a biggie. Even with the issues that were in GT5 we did see huge improvements and continued to see small improvements after the release.

I expect to see several improvements in GT6 and I expect that we will get additional improvements after release. The physics I have saw so far look better than any Forza version or that matter any console game. Still early but hopefully that will be the case.

I was also pumped for the new Forza but if it does in fact not support our existing wheels that is enough to make me consider not getting the XBOne or FM5

^ The reason I consider FM4 to represent "leaps and bounds" in the Forza series is because it's the first entry that I actually enjoyed driving. I bought my 360 partly because of FM2, and I played it quite a bit, but I only ever tinkered in the garage. I agree it was a great game, but the driving was horrifying; I'd rather play Gran Turismo. I can barely remember what kind of stiff, vague mess it was, but taking a car out on the Nürburgring made me want to turn the console off before I even reached that first sharp left turn. :yuck:

FM3 was slightly better, but it was grippy beyond all belief and totally hosed in terms of PI and stuff, as you said. I felt cheated by that one, as I only spent a month or two on it. I would not have bought FM4, but it arrived around my birthday so I casually asked for it as a gift.

In the end, the improvements T10 made to FM4 were enough for me to enjoy the whole game together. I was pleasantly surprised...and then T10/PG followed it up with an even bigger slam dunk in Forza Horizon. Having followed the Forza series since its infancy, I gotta say that FM4 and Horizon are its best efforts.

@HBR-Roadhog

6085013805_c94661e177_o.gif

HBK
GT5's Laguna Seca is a joke. I understand people prefer GT5 for a number of reasons, but as (for example) Deep Forest and Trial Mountain look PS2-ish (and rightfully so, they are "standard" ported PS2 tracks), Laguna Seca looks like a bad joke.

The ones that are not funny.

Sorry to say but FM's version of Laguna is far worse, the corkscrew being blatantly wrong for one. I really hope they fix it for FM5, though my expectations are low being that they probably think that its good enough. Not to mention those red boxes or whatever the hell they are that are missing from certain corners, which I thought would have been cool with FM's suspension damage if you cut the corner.

@king1982, thats hysterical!

It all comes down to this for me: I own a PS3 now and Xbox One will be quite expensive at launch, plus my current Fanatec wheel is for PC and PS3 only. That's why I will be buying GT6 and not Forza 5 at launch. Once I get tired of GT6 and have saved up a bit of money and decent Fanatec wheels are available for the Xbox One, then I'll get the console and Forza 5. They will probably have them as a bundle by then anyways. I have to admit though, Forza 5 is looking promissing so far, much more so than GT6, even though we don't know as much about FM5 yet.

The real battle will be when GT7 (or GT6, which ever way PD decides to go) for the PS4 gets released, that will be the real adversary to Forza 5.

I hate quoting through my cell phone because it takes to long to delete things, but 20B 4ME, Forza usually has a two year cycle. I'm assuming by the time gt7 comes around it'll be close/around the time FM6 would be released.

Mine as well. Is it weird that I seem to be looking forward to photo mode more than anything? Lol. Can't wait to see what this next gen game can do.

I'm looking forward to photomode as well.

You're not alone. :P

I'm looking forward to photomode as well.

You're not alone. :P

That's good to know. I am excited for the other things, but for some reason the photo mode is just embedded in my brain.

I wouldn't doubt it being the first thing I fuss around with, that is, as soon as I buy a car lol. I'm willing to bet that I'll even do it before my first race lol. Although, I'm going to have to drive the car around to actually get to locations.. So I guess they'll be simultaneous. :)

I havnt played gt5 in years so I can't recall much of its photomode. What I do remember is the filters, I quite liked them

Basically they have options you'd find on a real SLR camera. On top of that, the option to freely turn the wheels and turn the headlights on/off was really cool.

I hope they improve photo mode. GT clearly leads when it comes to camera options.

That's the one positive I simply don't understand. How does GT5 have a better photomode?

The viewing space is cluttered (I get the effect they're going for but is it really necessary?), the panning is slow as all kinds of hell - it takes me far longer to nail one good shot based on the combination of those two, and there's color banding that's virtually unavoidable even if you know what you're doing.

I guess in terms of a feature-rich in-game camera GT5 definitely takes the cake, but there's something about those gripes that actually keeps me away from it unless I really want to update my gallery.

I hope they improve photo mode. GT clearly leads when it comes to camera options.

True. Still, GT6 with standard car in photomode vs FM5 in photomode? It's hardly even going to be fair.

Although I expect to see lots of photoshopping of GT6 images to make them look pretty, still.

A thing I just recalled about gt5s photomode. Didn't you have to wait for the actual replay to take photos? Hopefully they opt out of that choice.

Should have clarified. GT leads in options and customization for photo mode, but completely falls apart in execution just like most of the game does.

I actually remember rage quitting after trying to take a picture of the C7 prototype because of the sluggish camera and severely restricted space in the photo spots. It was truly awful. That says a lot about their inability to completely execute an idea.

Should have clarified. GT leads in options and customization for photo mode, but completely falls apart in execution just like most of the game does.

I actually remember rage quitting after trying to take a picture of the C7 prototype because of the sluggish camera and severely restricted space in the photo spots. It was truly awful. That says a lot about their inability to completely execute an idea.

No, it wasn't you. It's been cited as a positive against Forza's for quite a while now and I've always wondered why.

Or rather how.

On my initial switch over from gt5 to fm4, I found it harder to get quality photos. I really felt that gt5 made it easy for any Joe Schmo to just jump in and snap a nice picture. I was fairly new to gt and I feel I jumped in rather easy. I never progressed past my beginner levels though because I got rid of the game.

FM4 presented a big challenge with its different lighting, and for a long time i was not able to produce anything decent. It had some really cool effects like high contrast through a cloud of dirt which ended up with some cool visual effects. Also, what I liked to do was shoot a picture through an opponents car window, with some high contrast. The end result produced this:
7791493888_2cf1de7564_z.jpg

Even though FM4 has a menu that seemed easier, quality work was harder to come by.

Back