Forza 5/6 vs GT6 (See First Post Before Posting)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 1,727 comments
You can't compare FM5 and GT6. Why? Well FM5 is for next gen only if I read my facts right and GT6 will be made for current gen.

If you're comparing FM and GT, GT should be superior. Why? Well GT has more cars (but most of them are standard),
And Forza has arguably more historic, iconic sports/super cars.

This is a subjective area.
GT has a longer history than FM (meaning they have more experience),
That doesn't mean anything, though. Polyphony may have been developing their series longer, but that doesn't stop anyone else from coming in & making the better game.
Shulze racing team used GT6 to do suspension tuning for the 24H of Nurb,
And Falken Tires (including Team Falken) has worked directly with Turn 10.
and there's GT Academy. And winner of that have won in their class at Spa this year, and came in third at the 24h of Le Mans in their class.
I'm not sure why GT Academy is constantly brought up as the "Ace in the Hole" against Forza.

I believe Famine & Scaff have proven in the other thread GT Academy doesn't really prove much for the game itself.

For what it's worth, I don't think Kake Bake meant to endorse Gran Turismo's physics model to quite the extent you may have thought, Scaff. The language we use in talking about physics accuracy is a bit difficult to pin down and varies from person to person.

The way I read it, Kake Bake was saying that while the cars in FM4 move and behave more accurately, the way they "wiggle" and rebound in GT5 seems more lifelike. While I'm not exactly impressed by GT5's JELL-O-like jiggling, I agree that FM4 is rather "dead" and stiff. The "cardboard in the wind" comment made me think of the way cars enter a rollover in FM4/Horizon, just tipping over as you would lift a hardcover book. As for track bumpiness, in GT it's pretty much just a visual and FFB effect.

I think it's incorrect to say GT "goes the extra mile to nail the fine touches and intangibles," but I can see where Kake Bake is coming from.

Finally, a voice of reason.

This was my original point:

It's indicative of a model and engine that goes the extra mile to nail the fine touches and intangibles, but in doing so loses sight of the big picture with regards to handling.
And that point I still disagree with and have not yet seen anything to support it.

Here is something you said:

GT5 does a good job of secondary ride in terms of both suspension movement and feedback, but primary ride does't far anything like as well at all.

They are similar. We agree.
No they are nothing like each other, yours cite the mysterious 'intangible' of GT (which is in my view nonsense) while my point addresses two areas that are very tangible.

As such no we don't agree, something that seems to really annoy you.

Let's both shut our pie holes.
How about no, that you don't like it that I disagree with you will do nothing to my desire to raise an opposing view and discuss it.

Back to the subject of FM4 cars not showing bound and rebound to any great degree with stiffer suspension and the tracks having been steamrollered:

For what it's worth, I don't think Kake Bake meant to endorse Gran Turismo's physics model to quite the extent you may have thought, Scaff. The language we use in talking about physics accuracy is a bit difficult to pin down and varies from person to person.

The way I read it, Kake Bake was saying that while the cars in FM4 move and behave more accurately, the way they "wiggle" and rebound in GT5 seems more lifelike. While I'm not exactly impressed by GT5's JELL-O-like jiggling, I agree that FM4 is rather "dead" and stiff. The "cardboard in the wind" comment made me think of the way cars enter a rollover in FM4/Horizon, just tipping over as you would lift a hardcover book. As for track bumpiness, in GT it's pretty much just a visual and FFB effect.

I think it's incorrect to say GT "goes the extra mile to nail the fine touches and intangibles," but I can see where Kake Bake is coming from.

I fully understand what KakeBake is saying, that GT5's jiggling is more realistic, I simply don't agree.

Neither is 100% right, that we well know, but between the two (and using reality as a benchmark) FM4 gets closer than GT5; as such I can't agree with KakeBake in this regard.

I have argued with somebody who is trying to make the same points I am.

This must be what politics is like.

I have argued with somebody who is trying to make the same points I am.

This must be what politics is like.

Really?

I don't remember agreeing with you that GT5 nails intangible (whatever the hell they are) things better, or that FM4's suspension looks like cardboard in the wind or that its tracks were all steamrollered smooth?

Nope I've not tried to make those points at all, yet you have made every single on of those!

You are right about the politics bit however given that you made a broad and inaccurate generalisation, then backtracked and moved goalposts when challenged about them and have to date supplied not a single thing to back up any of your above claims. Then claim your making the same point as someone who can quite clearly point out the differences in opinion.

Now that's how to get ahead in politics.

Scaff I think you're taking this way too seriously. He didn't mean much with his original post, and you've disproven it many times to where I don't see the point now. Forza has much better physics overall I agree but even so it's still a personal preference.

Other members have tried to tell you what they interpreted his post as and yet you still try to batter him with information that he isn't paying attention to clearly. I don't see your point with keeping him pinned against the wall because you've clearly proven your point and he clearly hasn't, but even still it isn't a big deal.

I don't mean for this to anger you with me as well, I'm just saying that when I read his original post I disagreed as well but I can see what he meant (some of Forza's kerb physics are slightly flawed as well and I will bring proof of that if necessary) as well as their grass physics also not being too realistic (dropping a rear wheel off before a turn would often cause a spin in real life) so it's not like the Forza physics are perfect. I think they nail minor things better than GT but in that specific area I can see how somebody would disagree.

Scaff I think you're taking this way too seriously. He didn't mean much with his original post, and you've disproven it many times to where I don't see the point now. Forza has much better physics overall I agree but even so it's still a personal preference.
So if a point has already been addressed in the past then it should never be raised again?

We best close the majority of the threads on the site in that case. All I'm doing is replying to a point I disagree with, which is kind of what happens on a forum.

Other members have tried to tell you what they interpreted his post as and yet you still try to batter him with information that he isn't paying attention to clearly. I don't see your point with keeping him pinned against the wall because you've clearly proven your point and he clearly hasn't, but even still it isn't a big deal.
No I tried to illustrate the point I was making despite being told that wasn't the point I was making. I don;t really understand why backing something with examples and evidence is considered a problem?

I don't mean for this to anger you with me as well, .....
I'm not angry with anyone. Please don't take emotions someone else has assigned to me as my own.

....I'm just saying that when I read his original post I disagreed as well but I can see what he meant (some of Forza's kerb physics are slightly flawed as well and I will bring proof of that if necessary) as well as their grass physics also not being too realistic (dropping a rear wheel off before a turn would often cause a spin in real life) so it's not like the Forza physics are perfect. I think they nail minor things better than GT but in that specific area I can see how somebody would disagree.
I've never stated that FM4 has perfect physics, not even close and you know full well that's not an opinion I hold (and again I have not stated that in this discussion). Now if valid points had been rasied (such as the almost total lack of fwd torque steer or the grass - which both titles have bi issues with) then I would happily agree. However those were not the issues raised, and as I disagree with the points raised I don't see the issue with wanting to discuss that.

I'm not saying that things shouldn't be discussed, I'm just saying that at this point he's still not trying to prove his side and he hasn't done so so far, essentially what I'm saying is that I don't see the discussion at this point because only one person is truly discussing anything now... If that makes sense. I'm not good at wording it.

What happens when someone disagree with someone else ? Both can have mutual agreement after a discussion, but what if they don't ? Is there an end to the banter when both sides sticking to what they think is right ( one's opinion always right to himself :P ) ? or one of them doesn't care anymore if his opinion is being challenged with disagreement by someone else ? Like when someone " we agree to disagree " and refuse to discuss it further, I see no point discussing it further really, we can't set straight everyone's opinion in a forum, at least that's what I've learned, and I usually just read them and okay, that's cool ;)

The irony is both games are not even on store shelves yet :lol:

I'm not saying that things shouldn't be discussed, I'm just saying that at this point he's still not trying to prove his side and he hasn't done so so far, essentially what I'm saying is that I don't see the discussion at this point because only one person is truly discussing anything now... If that makes sense. I'm not good at wording it.

It does make sense, but keep in mind that a discussion (however one sided) needs to occur before that can be determined.

I heard from people that GT6 will have an event creater (an option to make your own events). Is this true and if it is, do you have the source for it?

Sorry for being a bit biased on event making (wanting to do that since GT3) but if it's true the my money would be on GT6.

I heard from people that GT6 will have an event creater (an option to make your own events). Is this true and if it is, do you have the source for it?

Sorry for being a bit biased on event making (wanting to do that since GT3) but if it's true the my money would be on GT6.

That is a rumor. No official info has been revealed about an event creator.

That is a rumor. No official info has been revealed about an event creator.

Even if the rumors were true, I still don't have enough faith in PD to do it justice. I mean, it wasn't until their fifth game we got the ability to change colors and we get paint chips...

I've been in Scaff's shoes one to many times, Unforchantly my battle ground of choice was Youtube where people can be as off the wall as they want to be.

At least here a logical debate can be forced. If anyone has a problem with that, try youtube.

The majority of "Forza physics are arcade" and this idea that GT5 physics are authentic is what leads to people like us trying to cut out the nonsense and get people to see things for what they are, not what popular opinion says they are.

In the interest of being gentlemanly, I cede that Scaff is a much better debater than myself. He starts arguments unnecessarily, has inappropriate reactions to others' opinions, itemizes his grievances so it's easy to tell why he's having an infarction and never stops talking.

To be honest, however, I admit that I didn't prove my point and that I can't still. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of either GT's or FM's physics engines, so I can't easily discuss their differences. But I can tell when I like the way something looks or behaves and I maintain my personal opinion that GT5 occasionally demonstrates more lifelike suspension movement within certain contexts than FM4. I misspoke a lot when I replied to Scaff and contributed nothing to either our discussion or the thread.

I guess I can only blame myself for caring this much about an internet argument. Sorry Scaff. Sorry GTP.

Even if the rumors were true, I still don't have enough faith in PD to do it justice. I mean, it wasn't until their fifth game we got the ability to change colors and we get paint chips...

While I'm trying to be optimistic about this game, I understand your thinking. Still baffles me how PD made something as simple as painting your car an annoying task. And the fact paint chips are returning in GT6 raises a red flag.

That sucks, rumours like that are rarely true :(.

Yep. Don't believe anything until it's posted on GTPlanet or comes from an official source like Sony's Playstation blog.

I don't mind paint chips but livery maker is better and should replace it as well as painting over some race cars.

I really want to like GT again. It's funny, if I hadn't given Forza a try when I first bought my 360 (the first game was backwards compatible), I probably would have kept on thinking GT had done everything right.

I don't own a 360, I went to play Shift 2 but it felt more like 🤬 then fun. GT felt better then Shift to me but I really want to play Forza for real (Instead of going to friends place) and hopefully have a good decision.

In the interest of being gentlemanly, I cede that Scaff is a much better debater than myself. He starts arguments unnecessarily, has inappropriate reactions to others' opinions, itemizes his grievances so it's easy to tell why he's having an infarction and never stops talking.

To be honest, however, I admit that I didn't prove my point and that I can't still. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of either GT's or FM's physics engines, so I can't easily discuss their differences. But I can tell when I like the way something looks or behaves and I maintain my personal opinion that GT5 occasionally demonstrates more lifelike suspension movement within certain contexts than FM4. I misspoke a lot when I replied to Scaff and contributed nothing to either our discussion or the thread.

I guess I can only blame myself for caring this much about an internet argument. Sorry Scaff. Sorry GTP.

Don't apologize. I got what you were saying. As a long time Forza racer/hotlapper I can tell you you're not alone at all in your opinions of the physics and specifically how the cars feel like they're running on glass smooth tracks most of the time. Many share your opinion. Forza does many things well in it's physics, but lacks in other areas. Same as GT. The reality is this argument can't be won by either side and any trying to claim so are just fooling themselves.

It's a subjective thing, personal preference as to which engine is more "realistic". To me, compared to GT, and especially Race Pro, the cars on Forza feel disconnected from the racing surface. I haven't played GT near as much since GT2, but when I play GT5 I get much more of a sense of the feel of the road than I do on Forza. Which is why I feel the physics on GT are slightly better. Still well short of what I feel is the standard bearer for console physics..Race Pro. That's my opinion, others will be different.

To be honest, however, I admit that I didn't prove my point and that I can't still. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of either GT's or FM's physics engines, so I can't easily discuss their differences. But I can tell when I like the way something looks or behaves and I maintain my personal opinion that GT5 occasionally demonstrates more lifelike suspension movement within certain contexts than FM4.

The purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss.

If you have a feeling that GT5 demonstrates more lifelike suspension, and you wouldn't be the first person to make that statement, it's worthwhile looking at why. You don't need to know anything about physics engines to be able to analyse your own reactions.

Scaff makes the valid point that what you were feeling as an objective truth is not, that GT5 is in most ways a fairly poor physical simulation, and is certainly not inferior to FM4. Hard to argue with that, and you shouldn't try, because there's pretty strong evidence that he's right. Instead, what is it about GT5 that makes you *feel* like it's a better sim, even though it's not?

You can be quite specific about this without necessarily knowing a lot about what's going on behind the scenes. Gather examples of instances that you feel are excellent, and it should become obvious what the common factors are between them and thus what is probably the cause of your feelings.

There's a whole level of things going on in a game beyond the pure simulation of it that add to immersion and the feeling of "reality". Shift was an obvious example of trying to do this, with it's blurred vision at speed, black and white shakycam during crashes, and so on. Not particularly effective, but you can see what they were trying to do. FM and GT are more subtle, but there's still a lot of stuff there and it's worthwhile picking out which aspects work well for an individual.

It's also worth thinking about these aspects seriously so that you can separate them from the pure physics side of things, something that a lot of people fail to do when talking about these games. GT5 is very, very good at providing what *feels* like an authentic experience from something that's actually fairly basic.

It's a subjective thing, personal preference as to which engine is more "realistic".
Maybe GT5 provides a more "connected" driving experience, depending on personal preference or subjective experience...but it's not more "realistic" for anyone. It's true, Gran Turismo provides more noticable feedback from the suspension than Forza Motorsport 4. But the cars in FM4 behave closer to reality than in GT5. They move more like the real thing. That's not subjective. It's provable, and Scaff has already given the evidence.

I don't think "realistic" is the right choice of word, quotation marks or not.

To be clear, I'm not of the mind that the physics engine in GT5 is better than that of FM4. I make no bones about FM4's objective superiority. I very much enjoy FM as it is my preferred series of the two.

I do, however, believe that within the one context I gave (even though I misspoke: mentioning "bumps," dreaded "intangibles" and the possibility of other areas of GT5's superiority) "the compression and rebound of the suspension over [...] curbs," GT5 feels subjectively better to me.

Last edited:
...But I can tell when I like the way something looks or behaves and I maintain my personal opinion that GT5 occasionally demonstrates more lifelike suspension movement within certain contexts than FM4...

There's a difference between liking something more and stating something is more realistic.

Plus I don't understand this "occasionally" part. Under what circumstances does it do so?

Last edited:
There's a difference between liking something more and stating something is more realistic.

Plus I don't understand this "occasionally" part. Under what circumstances does it do so?

It feels more realistic to me, that's not a fact, that's a personal opinion.

Look above to clarify my "occasionally" good movement statement.

Back