Forza 5 Is A Major Dissapointment, Will DLC Save It?

• Thread starter Macrinus
  • 825 comments
Not sure if you guys have tried it, but my favorite angle to hear the cars is to sit inside the cockpit and look out the side (not just tilt your head in the cabin, but completely look to the left or right)

Some of the cars sound absolutely incredible in this view. Don't know why. Give it a shot!

Well, judging from the vids I've seen lately, the interiors do get rather quiet. They are muffled IRL, but only slightly.. you can hear the engine detail and exhaust rumble very well. Perform weight reduction and full engine upgrades, and it gets pretty loud. FM4 nailed this really well - the different transitions.

I think perhaps they focused a lot more this time on tire screech sounds, ambient and environmental sounds etc. the interior sounds got mixed up somehow. Unfortunately, this can't be simply fixed with a patch as you will not only need louder volume but also the proper detail and fidelity in the cockpit view.

Whether you have a 6.1 dig surr, a 7.1 dig surr, or even a 2.1 dig/virtual surround system... if the cockpit view sounds are a bit mute.. that's the way it's going to be. The way sound worked in FH annoyed me to bits!

You guys with the really beefy digital surr systems: do you find the sounds to be lacking detail and loudness-wise from the cockpit view? This is definitely something that should have been worked out pre-release.

I'm sure @CAMAROBOY69's system is not to blame.

Not sure if you guys have tried it, but my favorite angle to hear the cars is to sit inside the cockpit and look out the side (not just tilt your head in the cabin, but completely look to the left or right)

Some of the cars sound absolutely incredible in this view. Don't know why. Give it a shot!

With good reason! It's basically the same as using the hood or bumper cam, as the cam momentarily steps out of the car! Would be nice to see them model the cockpit completely by 180 degs if not 360 degs.

With good reason! It's basically the same as using the hood or bumper cam, as the cam momentarily steps out of the car! Would be nice to see them model the cockpit completely by 180 degs if not 360 degs.

It's a different sound from bumper or hood cam, though. Actually, most cars in that view sound like how they should inside the cabin. The MP4-12C, for example, sounds like you are sitting inside the car when you gun it in that view.
Whenever I buy a new car in FM5, I take it down the Top Gear track and onto the run way (No crowd and almost no ambient sound on that track) and then I just go back and forth down the strip while admiring the sound. The "out the side" view is still my favorite.

Man, Forza 5's car list just grows more impressive by the day.
They really make sure almost every new car they add is real, diverse and very desirable to boot 👍

I'm gonna miss the FM series now due to MS's wheel policy, but i'm sure T10 will deliver the best car collecting/ console racer there is for the coming years. They really know what their fans desire, and work hard to bring the series to a higher standard with each new outing they release.

PD has fallen so far behind on them in terms of game design, that i really don't see them catching up to T10's standards neither on PS4, although GT will probably stay the best sold of the two just because Playstation is a lot more popular over the world.

So to answer the OP again; in the end yes DLC definitely 'saved' FM5.

FM5 was fine before DLC but it certainly has been nice getting all of the new content since release too. FM6 is where the series will start to really shine on XBO since they'll benefit from more development time.

I read on the Forza forums that the new content update also included some improvements for the Thrustmaster TX wheel also, but it didn't go into detail as to what was updated exactly. I drove for an hour or so yesterday and couldn't say that I noticed anything different.

Ran into a VERY annoying audio bug last night in F5. :ouch: After racing online with friends for about 3-4 hours, I ended up with some crackling audio bug. Started out just once in a while then by the end of the night was constant and driving me insane. Later my friends realized they had the exact same problem I had. So I went back to the campaign and still had the bug. Even tried restarting the game, same thing. It was late in the night so I shut the X1 down and went to bed. Will shutting the X1 down fix the bug, or is this going to be a constant problem now?

Ran into a VERY annoying audio bug last night in F5. :ouch: After racing online with friends for about 3-4 hours, I ended up with some crackling audio bug. Started out just once in a while then by the end of the night was constant and driving me insane. Later my friends realized they had the exact same problem I had. So I went back to the campaign and still had the bug. Even tried restarting the game, same thing. It was late in the night so I shut the X1 down and went to bed. Will shutting the X1 down fix the bug, or is this going to be a constant problem now?
If your Xbox One's power settings are set to Instant On it may not shut the game down correctly resulting in the audio crackle. Maybe try pressing Home while in Forza 5, then hit the menu (old "start") button and quit the game from the following menu. Launch game blues...

I read something about that on the official forums. I'm not having that problem so I didn't look into it, but you're not alone.

If your Xbox One's power settings are set to Instant On it may not shut the game down correctly resulting in the audio crackle. Maybe try pressing Home while in Forza 5, then hit the menu (old "start") button and quit the game from the following menu. Launch game blues...
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking too. I noticed it was just in a sleep mode and would still actually be on all the time. I could hear it still making a very tiny noise when off and I didn't like that. When I turn something off, I want it off. So before I went to bed last night I set the X1 to turn COMPLETELY off from now on. Which means I will have to turn it on with the controller but I am perfectly fine with that. Thank you I do think that is probably the problem. I guess I will find out tonight when I get on.

Really starting to enjoy the X1 more and more every day. I also set up the Kinect last night and the voice commands work VERY well. I was able to invite a couple friends to F5 without ever touching the controller. All while I was in the F5 lobby. Some of this stuff is very enjoyable for sure. Also used the "Xbox record that" feature a couple times last night!! The primary reason I wanted a Kinect. :D
I read something about that on the official forums. I'm not having that problem so I didn't look into it, but you're not alone.
All 3 friends in my lobby ran into this problem last night. Something in the game for sure. I also remember something similar to this happening in F4 once in a while too on one of the specific tracks. But that only happened to me on 1 track in F4.

I've never had this issue, had an XBO and FM5 since launch. Sounds strange.

if it's still doing that, try doing an "xbox record that" and sharing on skydrive/youtube - might help determine what the cause is (if the crackle shows up on that as well).

I searched google and this crackle audio bug seems to be a very well known issue worldwide. Here is one good example. http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst1893_sound-issues.aspx

I know for a fact it is not my surround sound because I turned that off and turned the tv audio up and had the same problem. Plus the 2 people in my room do not have surround sound and they had the issue. It is 100% the game for sure. Just need to figure out a work around. Hopefully when I turn the X1 back on tonight, the problem will be resolved.

Seems to be resolved by turning ON the "Power save mode". I did that last night before I went to bed so hopefully that resolves the issue.

The ONLY difference last night is that I hooked the Kinect up. I wonder if that is part of the issue? Maybe if I disconnect that the problem will go away. Hmm. That will be an interesting experiment. Because technically I never had this issue until I hooked up the Kinect. BUt that is only a guess. All trial and error. No I don't think that's the issue because I had similar problem once in a while in F4 and I never had the Kinect on the 360. So that's probably not it.

I searched google and this crackle audio bug seems to be a very well known issue worldwide. Here is one good example. http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst1893_sound-issues.aspx

I know for a fact it is not my surround sound because I turned that off and turned the tv audio up and had the same problem. Plus the 2 people in my room do not have surround sound and they had the issue. It is 100% the game for sure. Just need to figure out a work around. Hopefully when I turn the X1 back on tonight, the problem will be resolved.

Seems to be resolved by turning ON the "Power save mode". I did that last night before I went to bed so hopefully that resolves the issue.

The ONLY difference last night is that I hooked the Kinect up. I wonder if that is part of the issue? Maybe if I disconnect that the problem will go away. Hmm. That will be an interesting experiment. Because technically I never had this issue until I hooked up the Kinect. BUt that is only a guess. All trial and error. No I don't think that's the issue because I had similar problem once in a while in F4 and I never had the Kinect on the 360. So that's probably not it.

I've played mine with and without Kinect connected. I don't use the standby mode so I don't know if that makes any difference but it seems like it shouldnt. I know that Forza 3 or 4, I can't recall which one was known to have a crackling sound issue, but I'm not aware that Forza 5 does.

I'm 3 weeks into owning the Xbox one and F5. (GT 6/PS3 refugee)

About 4 days into racing I was getting the crackling noise. I thought the xbox was dead within 4 days (bad habit of thinking worst case scenario lol). I did some googling and found that it is an issue. The fix I found was to do a hard reboot. Hold the power button down on the machine until it shuts off, wait till its not making any noise, restart, then start the game from the disk. It solved the problem.

From then on I start the game from the disk and try not use the quick start and have not had the problem since.

No Kinnect btw.

/back to lurker mode/

I've read about this sound bug on the official forums. Turning off power saving helps. Cold booting the console helps. Always shut down the game and console completely. Should resolve it. Probably happens due to running background tasks.

That much huh? All I do when I encounter the cracking audio bug is I simply quit out of Forza 5 (go home and press start and quit) and re-enter it. I don't reboot my system or any of that fancy jazz and it seems to solve the issue. It mostly occurs after I've been playing the game for around ~2-3 hours continuously. I do use the power saving option as standard however because the Xbox One is in my room and the instant on noise bugs me.

I'm 3 weeks into owning the Xbox one and F5. (GT 6/PS3 refugee)

About 4 days into racing I was getting the crackling noise. I thought the xbox was dead within 4 days (bad habit of thinking worst case scenario lol). I did some googling and found that it is an issue. The fix I found was to do a hard reboot. Hold the power button down on the machine until it shuts off, wait till its not making any noise, restart, then start the game from the disk. It solved the problem.

From then on I start the game from the disk and try not use the quick start and have not had the problem since.

No Kinnect btw.

/back to lurker mode/
Thanks the reply. That's how I set my X1 right before I went to bed last night so I am sure that it should be fine when I get on tonight. Thanks for coming out of lurk mode to help. Much appreciated.

I've read about this sound bug on the official forums. Turning off power saving helps. Cold booting the console helps. Always shut down the game and console completely. Should resolve it. Probably happens due to running background tasks.
That is basically what I did last night. I set the console settings so it would turn off 100% . So when I get on tonight, F5 should be fine.

Always had Instant-on and never had crackle. I only started to quit out on the home screen after FIFA started to act weird with signing in. Quitting the app on the home screen fixed that issue, so possibly fixes this one too.

Remember that with the Xbox One games are treated as applications so when you're on the dash you need to quit out of the game by highlighting it, pressing start and going to quit game.

I've never had issues with crackling on Forza 5 since launch.

Yeah, I believe it is probably due to the apps running in the background sucking a little more bandwidth and/or memory than they should. Just a calculated guess as I don't own the console.

Had this issue a while back.

I also had an issue where if you hit a wall or another Car the smash sound would continue to repeatedly loop for the rest of the race.

Thankfully a quick uninstall a re Install fixed the issue and it has been fine since.

Had this issue a while back.
I also had an issue where if you hit a wall or another Car the smash sound would continue to repeatedly loop for the rest of the race.
Thankfully a quick uninstall a re Install fixed the issue and it has been fine since.
I might have to uninstall F5 and re-install it because it seems to happen at least once a day for me. As soon as it happens I go to the home, fully exit F5. Then enter back into the game and its okay for a while. BUt wow what a pain in the butt this audio bug is. :mad::ouch:

I downloaded this with the free code but I think if I delete it I should still be able to re-install it. And yes when it happens the "xbox record that" does pick up the audio bug in game too.

I am going to lose my mind seriously. This audio glitch happens EVERY dang time I play F5 after about 2-3 hours. Bandwidth is not the issue at all. Almost every person I have played with online has had this issue at one point or another. Tonight I am going to delete and re-install the game. Insanely frustrating. If you want to see what it sounds like go to my recent Forza 5 "xbox record that" videos. Seriously getting sick of having to do this every night I play F5. :mad::ouch:

Almost every single person I have played with online has had this happen at least once to them or someone they know.

I would say no, I don't have the problem.
Have you played online? I forgot to mention this only seems to happen online.
You guys think this could possibly be related to a memory and/or bandwidth issue?
Nope. I have 25 megs down and 4 megs up and this only happens with F5. Very well known problem.
I have a "day one" edition and have never had this audio problem.
Do you play online? I am thinking excessive online with the dedicated servers is doing this somehow. Once I uninstall the game and re install it I am hoping that fixed the problem. Otherwise this game is not going to be played much anymore.

Last edited:
@CAMAROBOY69 - What audio setting do you have selected in your Xbox One settings? 7.1 uncompressed? Bitstream? Try changing that setting, shut the system down completely, and give it a go.

Same here with the audio bug, but it could be due to the way the Xbox One and F5 communicate to each other. Forza has always had strange audio bugs like that.

Back