Forza 5 Is A Major Dissapointment, Will DLC Save It?

• Thread starter Macrinus
  • 825 comments
I notice screen tear and framedrops in any game that has them.. Some people just dont,whether it be because they have bad eyes or just don't care..I do care in most cases this is why although GT does indeed have wet racing,its unplayable to me in its current state.

I love having 60fps in Forza, but I don't necessarily need it. The same way I love how the cars sound in Forza, but that doesn't give me a strategic advantage over someone who is playing GT. I think it's a player preference type of thing.

Has anyone here played The Last of Us - Remastered? The original game on the PS3 ran at 30FPS, but this new one on the PS4 has a 60FPS option. I haven't played the PS4 version yet, but I've read about how a lot of people tried it and didn't like it, so they switched the settings in the game to lock it at 30FPS.

In in the end, it's all personal preference, so it's difficult to call someone out on something based on what framerate they prefer. I prefer 60FPS because it looks smoother. I generally don't notice how great FM runs until I play something else at 30FPS and switch back to Forza. If they can't keep up with 60FPS, I'd rather have T10 drop the JJ Abrams lens flares that have suddenly show up in FM5 and perhaps skimp a bit on lesser important aspects to save the resources for the framerate. If FPS is considered a gameplay factor, then I'd much rather prefer that than graphical fidelity.

I think sound adds to immersion but also sounds f'in cool in forza! :D
And 60fps adds to gameplay and as you say looks great in motion.. I'm currently replaying forza 4 and after playing forza5 for a little while...god damn does forza 5 look good when compared to 4!!!!!!

Ive always,always chosen gameplay over grfx and I have got my fingers crossed for more gameplay variants in forza 6 night racing/weather/rally so if turn 10 do pull it off with out a hiccup,I'd be very impressed!

I'll give ground on the graphic side, but not on the sounds. They do get you more immersed into the game. I play a WWII air combat sim that uses generic sounds to keep file size down for those with older computers, the sound packs that people make to replace the generics makes it a whole new game. With each new GT i got less interested in the V8 cars because there was no immersion. The enjoyment of driving the C5R in GT compared to FM is night and day.

I enjoyed Ferrari The Race Experience on 30fps, NASCAR 2011 on 30fps - both with no aids ( no ABS ), Sega Rally Arcade PS3 on 30fps and I also have good fun on Daytona USA and Wipeout HD/Fury at 60fps, all good for me :D

Graphics - not so important. As long as they don't look choppy, goofy or somewhat retarded. Example: a brilliant sim like Race Pro, marred by terrible graphics on the X360/PS3.

Sound - Oh..heck... yes!! Sound adds to the thrill and excitement of racing, and subconsciously allows you to better feel the car. This is a very personal experience. I guess it motivates you to drive your car better somehow. Sound is how you connect with your beautiful beast.

60 fps in a driving sim? A must... can't say enough good things about it. I hope consoles one day start to touch 90 fps or higher with mind-numbing graphic fidelity. Though I'd always choose fps over richly detailed or very high-fidelity graphics. Graphics play a supporting role, even though they ARE the first things you would notice about any game at all, not just a driving game/sim.

Sounds and physics are ultimately what make you want to go back to it again and again. I still can't stop playing FM4. Am I demented??! :dopey:

As for people preferring The Last of Us at 30 fps - I can completely relate to that: games like the DS trilogy, Alan Wake or say, G(ears)OW might not look as dramatic running at 60 fps. 30 fps gives you that movie look. Though movies are even more juddery: 24 fps. On a good TV however, you might not be bothered with 30 fps games, though when it comes to first-person shooter and driving games, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
Right, so this is not the right thread, but I'm going to ask you quickly: is the latest Codies F1 game on X360 worth it? How are the physics? Do the cars sound exactly like their real-life versions? Frame rate remains steady at 30 fps?

I own a 360 for Forza really and get multiplatform games on my gaming PC so I don't know how 360 version is.

Regarding 30/60 fps comparison for TLOU, I'd say around 90% of comments I've read are very much in favour of 60fps, many saying how they now see what the fuss is about and apologizing for bashing the need for 60fps.

If Forza should feel the pressure and drop to 30fps or lower the resolution I hope they can at least release a PC version so I can buy the GPU to run it at 60fps.

Last edited:
@Speedster911 I don't understand this '30fps makes it feel more cinematic malarky!' Its total rubbish. These are games were playing not films! :D 60fps for all games would be ideal in an ideal world :D but its not gonna happen,not on these systems anyway..

Hey speedster 911 leave me your GT ive just started playing forza 4 again! Let's get racing! I'm above average skill,not great but good.

I love having 60fps in Forza, but I don't necessarily need it. The same way I love how the cars sound in Forza, but that doesn't give me a strategic advantage over someone who is playing GT. I think it's a player preference type of thing.

Has anyone here played The Last of Us - Remastered? The original game on the PS3 ran at 30FPS, but this new one on the PS4 has a 60FPS option. I haven't played the PS4 version yet, but I've read about how a lot of people tried it and didn't like it, so they switched the settings in the game to lock it at 30FPS.

In in the end, it's all personal preference, so it's difficult to call someone out on something based on what framerate they prefer. I prefer 60FPS because it looks smoother. I generally don't notice how great FM runs until I play something else at 30FPS and switch back to Forza. If they can't keep up with 60FPS, I'd rather have T10 drop the JJ Abrams lens flares that have suddenly show up in FM5 and perhaps skimp a bit on lesser important aspects to save the resources for the framerate. If FPS is considered a gameplay factor, then I'd much rather prefer that than graphical fidelity.

I have the Last of Us for the PS4, the 60fps makes a HUGE difference. Some people said that they preferred 30fps before the game came out based on videos they watched on Youtube, but once you actually play it, 60fps is night and day more fluid. 30fps just feels choppy in comparison when you switch between those modes. Can't imagine anyone would prefer 30fps, in game or cut scenes. You can get used to anything though. 30fps feels fine for most people if they haven't played a game any other way, but you once you play at 60fps, after playing at 30fps, its a pretty noticeable difference in the fluidity.

@Speedster911 I don't understand this '30fps makes it feel more cinematic malarky!' Its total rubbish. These are games were playing not films! :D 60fps for all games would be ideal in an ideal world :D but its not gonna happen,not on these systems anyway..

Hey speedster 911 leave me your GT ive just started playing forza 4 again! Let's get racing! I'm above average skill,not great but good.

Correct, what people don't understand is that the only reason film can get by with 24fps is because there's blurring between frames which tricks the eyes/brain to ignore the low framerate.

Also, when you use one of my screenies, you are to credit me.

LOL, easy there Dr. Ego.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Precisely, and another reason the juddering is less noticeable because you're sitting in a completely dark room with the screen dim. This makes motion smoother in anything running at 30 fps or less. However, when there's a bright seen, and you see the camera panning slowly from side to side...any big and bright objects will show more judder. Alternatively, in darker scenes or a completely dark scene, it's less noticeable.

Just how the eyes function. Some 30 fps games are actually very good at giving smooth perception of motion: TR, GOW, RDR, FH, Dirt 3 etc etc. Then some are not: Race Pro, GTA5, and others I'm sure, can't remember off the top of me head. Generally the more blurring there is between frames as @Blkout mentioned, the smoother it will look. Think back to PGR4.

@imported_skidmark I didn't mean they make it deliberately 30 fps to make it seem movie-like or anything, but makes the game look rather dramatic and cinematic, not by choice though. Many devs argue that 30 fps is GOOD enough for smooth motion while still squeezing every bit of juice out of a console to display richly detailed environments. Are you saying 60 fps is not going to happen on current gen? Then I guess these consoles are nowhere as powerful as a beefy PC. Not a super-beefy one, but a beefy, high-end one anyway.

Anyhow, 60 fps and 30 fps is indeed night and day. Your eyes can instantly tell, particularly if you're a keen observer. If you've played mostly 30 fps console games, then you may not notice or even mind the difference.

Unfortunately, I don't do MP. I know.. I've been told I'm missing out.. but my internet connection just ain't fast enough, and I'm in no position or even motivated to get a faster one.

I own a 360 for Forza really and get multiplatform games on my gaming PC so I don't know how 360 version is.

Regarding 30/60 fps comparison for TLOU, I'd say around 90% of comments I've read are very much in favour of 60fps, many saying how they now see what the fuss is about and apologizing for bashing the need for 60fps.

If Forza should feel the pressure and drop to 30fps or lower the resolution I hope they can at least release a PC version so I can buy the GPU to run it at 60fps.

I'd never touch a FM game with a 10 foot pole running at 30 fps...eekh!

My X1 arrived last night which is a couple days earlier than I expected. Forza 5 and BF4 are installing so I will get some time with both over the weekend. I already played F5 at my brothers a couple times but this will be with my entertainment center and my entire personal setup. Looking forward to it.

No I don't. As you can see in my signature I have very little room to work with in my entertainment center. It is not something I considered yet. Maybe I will engineer something next year. One step at a time. ;)
There is indeed no wheel but wowee that set up sure does exude comfort :cool:

I used to do the whole wheel and pedals thing. I found that it eventually made me feel kind of locked in and 'formal', if you see what I mean

Got rid of the wheel and pedals, got a large comfy recliner chair and now I just kick it back and use a controller and feel very relaxed :)

Exactly how GAMING should be enjoyed. I too enjoy the 'luxury' of either sitting 6 feet from the screen on a stiff ol' chair or stretching oouuut on the bed about 12 feet away. I prefer the latter! ;)

There is indeed no wheel but wowee that set up sure does exude comfort :cool:

I used to do the whole wheel and pedals thing. I found that it eventually made me feel kind of locked in and 'formal', if you see what I mean

Got rid of the wheel and pedals, got a large comfy recliner chair and now I just kick it back and use a controller and feel very relaxed :)
Ty and yes that is exactly how I feel about the wheel situation too. If I was going to build a wheel setup I would want a very ergonomic setup that allowed me to properly "sit" into a cockpit. Full racing seat and everything. Just like sitting in a race car. I just don't have the room to build it the proper way that I want to build it.

Wouldn't want it any other way. No good half-assing it for me either. But then again, I ain't training for an upcoming race or anything.. room isn't very big either.. so a controller does fine. You can feel the car just fine even with a controller, so long as you have the ability to visualize well.

Wouldn't want it any other way. No good half-assing it for me either. But then again, I ain't training for an upcoming race or anything.. room isn't very big either.. so a controller does fine. You can feel the car just fine even with a controller, so long as you have the ability to visualize well.
Exactly. If I cant build the cockpit the way I want to, then its not worth wasting the time, money, or effort. I do envy those that have a full racing setup with cockpit and the wheel. Always wanted one.

Last edited:
Forza 6 doesn't NEED a day/night cycle nor does it need weather. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice to have but its not a MUST for the series. Forza 6 just has to give more content for me to be happy with it.. More cars/tracks,cause from where I'm sitting forza 5 is the best there is right now on console.

Even though I am still on the sidelines with XBone and Forza 5, your sentiments seem to mirror mine.
I will have to put your post in my favorable side, for future reference.
Day/night is a nice touch, but I don't need it, if the content is right.
Weather, has no importance to me at all.
Racing in the rain, just simply isn't racing to me.
Its more like pretenting.

As much as I would love to have dynamic time of day in Forza, I, too, don't see it as a necessity. I'd rather have preset time of day for tracks (Dawn/Noon/Night) or something of the rather. To say that I don't want to have online races at night around the Nurburgring would be a flat out lie, haha. Also, night racing adds a lot of new elements to the driving experience. Now you have headlights (put those rally lights to good use!) and illuminated instrument clusters (show off the design elements of each car!) Not to mention the consequences of busting your headlights from a crash and being left in the dark. Plus, all new photo mode scenarios!

I want night racing for a lot of reasons. Same goes for weather. It's not the effect that matters, but the consequences and new gameplay elements.

Alrighty then.. can you name one game that has good physics, with pretty visuals and real-life engine audio? Dirt 3 is a brilliant game, but it isn't a rally sim is it? There isn't a single Forza-ish or GT-ish rally game on a console today.

I think devs have presumed the market is dead.

Those features do run, to an extent. They do not work as PD intended I'm sure. If so why would they intend to add a feature that would hinder the game? To have them is one thing, to have them work is another. Its obvious that they are doing this with every aspect of the game.

Weather? We got it(*may cause frame rate drops and tearing(when we say may, it definitely does).)

Cars? we got it, over 1000 at that(*cars may very in graphics ranging from a 6 polygon model, to 1mil polygon models. 800 are standards and not up to par with current gen, or even last gen. Many many duplicates.)

Thats just two examples that use the same idea that you're speaking of.

Oh I definitely agree with you, they did push far past the limits of the console( on a certain part of the game), and released a game with all these features(and lack of features advertised) just so they say "I can." No one company should compromise there game in anyway, why would you want to ruin what you built? I'm glad they stick to the 1080/60fps, thats an amazing feat that not even PD can seem to get right. What graphical cuts are you talking about? I think the game has some great detail to it, please explain. Also, what cheaper solutions are you talking about?

You see, thats the problem. You are only speaking from a visual point of view. The 400 premiums are beautiful, but they focused so much on only those 400 pushing them over the limit, while leaving the rest lacking(severly lacking) in detail. Give me graphical consistency all across the board. If your fine with less 50% of your game looking up to date, thats fine. Just dont come over here acting like its better, when they only aim to achieve the bare minimum.

EDIT: all that aside, please answer this as you seem to just skim passed it(I doubt that):
Why is it such a problem that you think there is a possibilty that T10 MIGHT not be able to get weather down correcly, but seem to be perfectly ok with PD NOT being able to get weather down correctly?

For the record, how's that GT6 sound? That is a major beef for me in the game, along with standard cars, PD seems to think "mo is better" , not so in this case. As much as I would like dynamic change of day and weather effects, more realistic sound trumps them all day long. I would play GT more if the sound was more accurate.

Back