Forza 5 physics vs GT6 аnd other sims

• Thread starter shved111
  • 1,034 comments
That was the point I was trying to make. Glad that someone caught it...
I'm not saying FM4 is right (its not and nor is GT), simply that as far as a comparison goes that particular one has quite a few issues, a serious one being the failure to point out that they are not the same car in terms of spec (and that's without the issues with FM4's 'ring).

This may be of interest (in LFA Nur terms)...

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercarvideos/273850/lexus_lfa_nurburgring_edition_video_review.html

...Chris Harris drove both back to back and describes the LFA Nur as having more mechanical grip than the standard car very early on (around 0:50 in the video).

I agree a FM5 lap comparison would be better, but having driven the 'ring I have to say that lap comparisons with games (and lap time in particular) can be massively misleading. Too many variables are at play to draw anything but very rough comparisons.
You dont really compare the laptimes, how the car feels on the track is what matters

The point I was making wasn't to compare the two cars to each other. Just meant to point out what I was explaining earlier how in FM4, cars skid and slide a lot compared to how well some of these cars handle. The cars don't have that "snap" effect I was mentioning earlier. And as far as Chris Harris goes, that man wouldn't mind living in a world where everything slips and slides, haha.

Yes, I believe this is still lacking, even in FM5...in real life you push a supercar like that.. i.e. sudden loss of grip momentarily, and then back on grip.. it snaps and gets glued back to the road.. you can see this effect in car review and test run videos, where the suspension wobbles to keep up with the driver's input, as the car straightens out of a corner or recovers from a slide.

I'd LOVE to see suspension and brake physics being redone in FM6, I really would. They should redo how the rebound behavior is mimicked in the game, particularly. 👍

This takes me back to the first NFS game back in the early 90s, which was considered a sim at the time and boy did it have super physics, including suspension dynamics.

Enthusia is another one that comes to mind.. so does GT and D2/3.

I honestly can't tell which title has better physics since I'm not even sure how a lot of the cars in both games drive in real life. Though, I will say that both physic engines on the 2 games caught me off guard when I first game them each a try. Seriously, I was surprised in FM5 when my Mazda RX-8 was already sliding like crazy within the two turns of the track and it was a smilar case in GT6 when I tried the Lancia Stratos. It was kinda cool that they both keep me on my toes when driving and both games seem to require a good amount of time for me to get use to them.

I guess before I make a judgement on which is better, I should just spend more time with each at least.

In addition to spending more time, to gauge the physics accuracy in any sim properly, you'll need to try it out with a good 900 deg wheel with good FFB. Though, I must admit the latter has to do more with clever coding rather than physics.

I played GT for nearly a decade. Then I switched to Forza in 2007. Compared to real-life driving (not cruising, high speed driving), I'd say Forza is far closer to getting it right. Though there are improvements to be had. PC is still king.

GT always had better physics, but that isnt the case anymore. Forza always had a better and more accurate tuning model. In Forza 1-3 the cars were sticky and if you broke traction the cars were extremely hard to control, and they slowed down pretty rapidly causing you to lose alot of time. Most if not all cars had massive understeer. Forza 4 was pretty much more of the same, but it allowed you to kick your car out slightly to help rotate your car. They even included a drift mode. Forza 5 is alot different, and feels like a totally different game. Cars feel lighter, they slide ALOT more, and they dont slow down nearly as much when they do. Each car feels totally different, and you can feel what the tires want to do with the feedback of the controller buttons vibrating. Understeer is very minimal in anything other than a FWD car. The only thing that GT does better i think is that the cars are alot easier to control on the edge and when they break traction. Whether its realistic or not i dont know, i never took a turn at 100 mph in a supercar, but it feels better and is more fun.

Forza 4 had a drift mode?

You must of had a different copy to me then, mine had drift events but no drift mode. The only title I can recall from that sort of time was Shift 2.

Forza 4 had a drift mode?

You must of had a different copy to me then, mine had drift events but no drift mode. The only title I can recall from that sort of time was Shift 2.
You know what i mean when u press the D-pad to the side and it starts counting drift points.

You know what i mean when u press the D-pad to the side and it starts counting drift points.

That's not really a drift mode then (as in the drift mode in titles such as Shoft 2 that runs different physics), just a differing score for 'free run'.

Also could you please refrain from using text-speak when posting, as you agreed to when you joined as per the AUP.

You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including "proper usage of capital letters"

Back