Forza 5 physics vs GT6 аnd other sims

• Thread starter shved111
  • 1,034 comments
VXR
You'd be better off playing FM5 first for yourself, because with all assists off, it's not accessible to just anyone. I assure you.

The same can be said for GT6 :) I'm likely the only garage owner at GTP that exclusively drive/tune/build replica without any assist and aim at realistic setup / driving experience without compromise for replica builds. If you have a wheel and GT6, try my Corvette C5 Z06 replica aimed to replicate Andy Pilgrim lap record at Willow Springs, 1:30.6s on comfort medium ( Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar - stock tire of C5 Z06 )

Too many casual driver on GT6 now, I think it's even more than back in the day of GT5. The C5 Z06 replica for example, so far only less than 5 driver have reported / left feedback after driving the replica. I posted the replica at several threads, and almost nobody willing to give it a go :P

I would guess in FM5, there's nobody who play and build replicas on it :) I wonder why there's no FM5 garage threads ? It would be great for FM5 players, no ?

The lack of a community over here for the FM side of things is a big reason. Go over to the official forums and there is a forum dedicated to tuning.

Just went over there, look through some pages of thread listing for tuning lounge, haven't found a garage that makes replicas. Used search function with replica as keyword, only gives liveries replica :lol:

Just went over there, look through some pages of thread listing for tuning lounge, haven't found a garage that makes replicas. Used search function with replica as keyword, only gives liveries replica :lol:
Yeah i kind of figured that, not sure how replica's would be made, aside from liveries, considering these people have never driven the actual car. Isnt it just more of a guessing game? Thats what I figure anyways.

I might do the odd power match, like taking the 392 and getting the power up to Hellcat levels, but I wouldn't build specific reps.

Yeah i kind of figured that, not sure how replica's would be made, aside from liveries, considering these people have never driven the actual car. Isnt it just more of a guessing game? Thats what I figure anyways.

To really get the idea, you will need to drive some of my work : ) I build variety of replicas with different degree of accuracy due to limitation of the data available. But I can assure that I tried my best to build replica that drives as close as possible using real life lap time as reference, car spec data ( spring rate, LSD lock/spec, gearing, alignment, weight/distribution, power/torque ), real life lap video with speed/G data for reference and professional reviews where available. There are cars that I have driven IRL that I also used as base reference. I also have driven/owned some cars with variety type of LSD ( OS Giken, ATS, Kaaz, Quaife etc ) that I used as reference when tuning LSD.

I have received great feedback from some of the "hardcore" test driver in GT6, one of them often drive without assist :) Some of my work that should be interesting : Audi R8 GT Randy Pobst Laguna Seca MotorTrend replica ( H & R Suspension ), Camaro Z/28 2014 MotorTrend Best Driver's Car replica, Andy Pilgrim WSIR Corvette C5 Z06, Gallardo SL Best Motoring, Ferrari F40 ( Auto Motorsport version ), Mazda RX8 Laguna Seca Lap Best Motoring ( Gan-san ) replica ( Eibach Suspension ) and so many more :P

I have about 30 cars completed that are waiting to be posted, one of them is Lotus Esprit V8 replica ( many corrections )

@Ridox2JZGTE

I'm not saying you arent making good tunes, as I'm sure you do. Also, Dont take it the wrong way, as you seem to be doing a good job and have a vast collection of tunes in your library. I was simply stating its more of a guessing game in terms of knowing how that car feels and drives, and pointing out that's why I feel most people stay away from replica's and instead just work on fast tunes.

In my opinion, I don't see how driving the cars is going to make me understand anything differently, though.

@Ridox2JZGTE

I'm not saying you arent making good tunes, as I'm sure you do. Also, Dont take it the wrong way, as you seem to be doing a good job and have a vast collection of tunes in your library. I was simply stating its more of a guessing game in terms of knowing how that car feels and drives, and pointing out that's why I feel most people stay away from replica's and instead just work on fast tunes.

In my opinion, I don't see how driving the cars is going to make me understand anything differently, though.

I guess it's on the expectation and what you wanted when driving in a game/sim, most GT6 drivers I know stay away because the cars are harder to drive with lower grip tire ( closer to real life grip level ) and most replicas retained their uniqueness ( flaws and advantage ) :) I can build fast tunes that drives unlike a stock car would, but I spent the majority of my time building cars that drives like a simulator would ( even with GT6 tremendous limitation ) There are a few that closely follows/test drive my replicas : @danbojte, @ALB123, @TurnLeft, and I'm sure they can say something about what makes replica special and not just cookie cutter fast tunes like the majority of GT6 tunes on GTP.

I suppose there has to be someone here on GTP who have owned/driven C5 Z06 at the track IRL, whoever you are, if you have GT6 and FM5, I want your feedback/impression :P

@Ridox2JZGTE

And that is probably where I differ. I'm a hot lapper, and I want fastest laps possible from the cars I'm using. Regardless if it makes the car easier or harder to drive. Either way, I tend to stick to my own tunes, I'm really picky when it comes to certain things, and not being able to alter or change a setting will bother me.

@Ridox2JZGTE

And that is probably where I differ. I'm a hot lapper, and I want fastest laps possible from the cars I'm using. Regardless if it makes the car easier or harder to drive. Either way, I tend to stick to my own tunes, I'm really picky when it comes to certain things, and not being able to alter or change a setting will bother me.

Didn't mean to change you ways or anything :) I'm a hot lapper too, when I'm racing online or doing seasonal TT :) I'm a mechanic in a race team now at FITT BTCC Championship ( GT6 ), my driver is @Lewis_Hamilton_, he's a hot lapper type driver like you, I think he also plays Assetto Corsa. I can cater all kinds of customer :lol:

I put in FM4 again this week and i have to agree, with assists of and sim steering it feels a lot like you are trying to get a tank back on the road after you experience oversteer. It's not very progressive and surprises you a lot.

The weight transfer was by far the worst problem I had with FM4. Look, I am a horrible gamer, but I am a very experienced racing driver, so when I play these sims, I bring with me the information and experience I've gathered from the track. A friend of mine that I play with on GT6, for example, has no real-life track experience, but he plays sim-races a lot. When we compare lap times in GT6, he absolutely schools me. Meanwhile, almost all of my lap times in both GT6 and FM5 are almost identical to my real-life times. I drive in the games the same way I drive in real-life.

That being said, if I'm playing a racing game, I am expecting certain behaviors and factors to take place. When they don't, I fall flat on my face. There are times when I snap-correct a potential oversteer that should actually happen, but doesn't end up happening in the game, thus just causing the car to pivot as if a drunk driver is behind the wheel. The more unrealistic the game is, the worse I am at it, so to speak.

Now, back to FM4. The weight transfer under braking is awful! A lot of cars understeer like pigs when their balance should fall forward and I just can't tell where on earth the grip in the tires are in that game. FM5 feels so much better. Anyone that claims that FM5 is just a slight improvement over FM4 surely doesn't know what to look for. GT6 is also full of flaws.

Here's something that might not make much sense. Both Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are able to replicate how vehicles handle very well. It's when the cars don't handle very well where both games still need major improvements. Not sure if that makes much sense to anyone or if I'm just an old man babbling. When you have control of the car, it drives how it should. It's when you lose control that the games need to work on.

Didn't mean to change you ways or anything :) I'm a hot lapper too, when I'm racing online or doing seasonal TT :) I'm a mechanic in a race team now at FITT BTCC Championship ( GT6 ), my driver is @Lewis_Hamilton_, he's a hot lapper type driver like you, I think he also plays Assetto Corsa. I can cater all kinds of customer :lol:

Actually, I'm not a hotlapper at all. ;) I don't enjoy it very much and only put a lap or two into Seasonals for the paint chip. I prefer to race against a grid of cars with door to door racing. Most of my online racing is pretty casual, often I'm in rooms with boost and SRF on. I can't stand boost, but unfortunately that's what a number of my friend's enjoy. The rest of my online time is generally spent in 400-500pp, CS-SS tyre, ABS 1 rooms picking underdog cars.

That's not to say anything against your replicas of course, I can vouch for the Honda I'm using in the BTCC competition.

Actually, I'm not a hotlapper at all. ;) I don't enjoy it very much and only put a lap or two into Seasonals for the paint chip. I prefer to race against a grid of cars with door to door racing. Most of my online racing is pretty casual, often I'm in rooms with boost and SRF on. I can't stand boost, but unfortunately that's what a number of my friend's enjoy. The rest of my online time is generally spent in 400-500pp, CS-SS tyre, ABS 1 rooms picking underdog cars.

That's not to say anything against your replicas of course, I can vouch for the Honda I'm using in the BTCC competition.

Sorry, I got the wrong idea since I knew that you are a very quick driver online, and back during GT5 days, you were great in GT Academy :) I was meaning hot lapper as a state of mind when in certain events :P

After playing FM5/FH2 for quite a bit of time, it's weird going back to Forza 4, it's still the best Forza in terms of sheer amount of content, but on the track it feels like an arcade game compared to FM5. Driving in FM5 is challenging even after so many hours invested in it, going back to FM4 and there's next to no challenge, the cars are just too tame in comparison, the AI in career is very easy. As an actual driving/racing game FM5 is leagues is miles ahead of FM4 or any previous forzas for that matter.

Being a non-driver irl, all I can add to this topic is...

I played a lot of GT over the years before I went over to Forza. I also play a lot of PC sims that are
generally recognised as being closer to reality than console games

My humble opinion is that Forza 5 feels more like those than GT6 does. Make of that what you will :)

Maybe GT7 on the PS4 will close the gap

VXR
You'd be better off playing FM5 first for yourself, because with all assists off, it's not accessible to just anyone. I assure you.

I like the sound of that. I hope I can do this, and if I can, I WILL pick up both consoles, cos' I don't want to miss out on the exciting possibilities that are on the horizon with the PS4's hardware. And I'd like to continue my love affair with Forza!

I put in FM4 again this week and i have to agree, with assists of and sim steering it feels a lot like you are trying to get a tank back on the road after you experience oversteer. It's not very progressive and surprises you a lot.

I was asking about this in another thread, my main problem with the X360 pad was the lack of vibration and feedback through the controller with FM4 and i was told it's a lot better with 5 and the Xbone pad.
You feel the 360 controller is actually better?

It's not everybody's bag, granted. You need to be super-smooth with your analog stick inputs. Takes dedication, but once you're there, you rarely loose it. However, I don't think its possible to countersteer this quickly IRL. I don't really rely on vibration to tell me what the car's doing. After all, it's just a game. The real fun of vibration is when you're using a wheel, complete with FFB.

I can't really say if the X360's controller is better as I don't own an X1. It works fine for me though, I like it. Control's fantastic in the other games I also play: Horizon and Dirt 3.

@mister dog If I were you, I would try and get down to a shop and try out the Xbox One controller and make up your own mind. In my experience the 360 controller feels like a stiff old piece of antiquated crap in comparison.

Good idea.

It is by no means a crap controller but rather one of the best in console gaming, surpassing the PS3's controller.

The weight transfer was by far the worst problem I had with FM4. Look, I am a horrible gamer, but I am a very experienced racing driver, so when I play these sims, I bring with me the information and experience I've gathered from the track. A friend of mine that I play with on GT6, for example, has no real-life track experience, but he plays sim-races a lot. When we compare lap times in GT6, he absolutely schools me. Meanwhile, almost all of my lap times in both GT6 and FM5 are almost identical to my real-life times. I drive in the games the same way I drive in real-life.

That being said, if I'm playing a racing game, I am expecting certain behaviors and factors to take place. When they don't, I fall flat on my face. There are times when I snap-correct a potential oversteer that should actually happen, but doesn't end up happening in the game, thus just causing the car to pivot as if a drunk driver is behind the wheel. The more unrealistic the game is, the worse I am at it, so to speak.

Now, back to FM4. The weight transfer under braking is awful! A lot of cars understeer like pigs when their balance should fall forward and I just can't tell where on earth the grip in the tires are in that game. FM5 feels so much better. Anyone that claims that FM5 is just a slight improvement over FM4 surely doesn't know what to look for. GT6 is also full of flaws.

Here's something that might not make much sense. Both Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are able to replicate how vehicles handle very well. It's when the cars don't handle very well where both games still need major improvements. Not sure if that makes much sense to anyone or if I'm just an old man babbling. When you have control of the car, it drives how it should. It's when you lose control that the games need to work on.

One of my biggest gripes with FM4.. but I've gotten used to it and learned to live with it. I'm just careful to brake before the turn and let go of them completely before starting to turn in. Also, giving too much analog stick input while braking hard gives you the same "understeers like a pig" scenario. Downshifting helps. There's definitely more front wheel grip IRL. Plus, Forza's controller limitations are partly to blame for this - spank you speed sensitive steering, spank you very much!

After playing FM5/FH2 for quite a bit of time, it's weird going back to Forza 4, it's still the best Forza in terms of sheer amount of content, but on the track it feels like an arcade game compared to FM5. Driving in FM5 is challenging even after so many hours invested in it, going back to FM4 and there's next to no challenge, the cars are just too tame in comparison, the AI in career is very easy. As an actual driving/racing game FM5 is leagues is miles ahead of FM4 or any previous forzas for that matter.

I can relate to that, though I'm not on FM5 yet. It's like going to FM3 after 4; 3 feels very basic, almost a bit arcade like, since FM4's physics are far better. And it seems now's the case with FM5 and you just don't want to go back to FM4. :)

T10 knows a thing or two about improving physics. :D

I can relate to that, though I'm not on FM5 yet. It's like going to FM3 after 4; 3 feels very basic, almost a bit arcade like, since FM4's physics are far better. And it seems now's the case with FM5 and you just don't want to go back to FM4. :)

T10 knows a thing or two about improving physics. :D

Yeah, but I keep coming back to FM4 if only for cars and tracks that aren't in FM5 and custom music support on X360. FM5 orchestra is just annoying to me now that I've pretty much learned all of the songs in the game by heart ;) I hope they go back ambient electronic music similar to FM3/4.
In regards to the topic - it will be interesting how GT7 will stack up to FM5/6 now that the CPUs are pretty much the same now. I think CELL processor gave PD and advantage on lastgen, but now T10 and PD are gonna be on equal ground, unless of course they decide to offload physics calculation to the GPU. Hopefully PD steps up their game in regards to the actual game lol ;) I just can't make myself play GT5/6 anymore, just hate the driving feel and the overall structure of the game. Hopefully GT7 will be more like PS2 entries, which were fantastic.

@SimTourist

* FM4 is and will remain a classic for a long time to come. Unless FM6 plummets all previous versions in every way!

* Very odd the X1 doesn't have support for listening to music while gaming. My most memorable gaming sessions have been racing and watching replays in Forza while Chemical Brothers or Prodigy's blaring in the background. Or good ol' Metallica for that matter, while playing COD and GOW! :mad: :boggled: :D

* FM3 and 4 had pretty decent music, FM5's sucks.. it's lame. I'd like to see devs bring back electronic and rock tunes that dominated the original Need for Speed. Even later ones like NFS 3, 4, 5.. the Underground games... brilliant music for racing.

* Man it was a sad and tough decision moving on from GT5, but I did swallow the pill and moved on to X360 + Forza. Honestly have never looked back, no regrets at all. IMHO, Forza annihilates GT in every way imaginable.

* I am excited, on one hand, to see what PS4 can do to the GT franchise. The fact that PD is the one behind it, that doesn't give me much hope. These guys are not exactly known for learning from their mistakes or giving fans what they want. (insanely high car count isn't the ONLY thing fans want, and YES the track collection is and probably always be stellar)

* Oh gosh.. GT on the PS2..... BEST BESTEST years for me in virtual racing. I'll treasure those memories forever. :):):):):):):)

[The Xbox 360 pad] is by no means a crap controller but rather one of the best in console gaming, surpassing the PS3's controller.
Hopefully this should give you some idea of how good the XB1 controller is in that case.

FM4 is and will remain a classic for a long time to come. Unless FM6 plummets all previous versions in every way!
All I'm hoping for is returning and new tracks combined with improved physics from FM5. While driving in FM4 is still plenty of fun, it doesn't compare to FM5 in terms of how fun the cars are to throw around, where FM4 cuts me some slack and I can recover from careless driving relatively easy, FM5 really keeps me on my toes at all times, you get distracted for a second and you end up in the ditch. I really love this ever-present sense of danger in FM5 which wasn't present in previous forzas.
Now, when I decide to play GT6, it just can't hold my interest for longer than a couple races, I'm instantly reminded of how crap DS3 is compared to X360 pad, let alone Xbone's pad, how crap the sounds are, the framerate slowdowns, the overall feel of the cars that just feel soulless compared to forza. It's hard to explain, but the experience just falls apart the moment I decide to play. It's a beautiful game visually, tons of cars and tracks, but again I have no interest in driving PS2 cars that just become an eyesore on the track and a time drain in the menus. With tracks it's a similar story, yes they're good looking, but what I really hate is how tracks were never changed up during the generation. Eiger in GT6 in 2013 looks exactly as it did in Gran Turismo HD back in 2007. I've seen the track a million times in the last 7 years and I just have zero excitement driving on it now. At the same time T10, even if the track has been in the series forever, they change up the environment and especially the lighting with each version. This manages to keep the content from going stale at least for me, I've driven Laguna Seca a million times in Forza and other games, but I'm fine with driving it in FM5, whereas in GT6 I'm seeing the same stuff I've seen in GT4 a decade ago, same skybox and everything. Just kills my immersion completely.

All I'm hoping for is returning and new tracks combined with improved physics from FM5. While driving in FM4 is still plenty of fun, it doesn't compare to FM5 in terms of how fun the cars are to throw around, where FM4 cuts me some slack and I can recover from careless driving relatively easy, FM5 really keeps me on my toes at all times, you get distracted for a second and you end up in the ditch. I really love this ever-present sense of danger in FM5 which wasn't present in previous forzas.
Now, when I decide to play GT6, it just can't hold my interest for longer than a couple races, I'm instantly reminded of how crap DS3 is compared to X360 pad, let alone Xbone's pad, how crap the sounds are, the framerate slowdowns, the overall feel of the cars that just feel soulless compared to forza. It's hard to explain, but the experience just falls apart the moment I decide to play. It's a beautiful game visually, tons of cars and tracks, but again I have no interest in driving PS2 cars that just become an eyesore on the track and a time drain in the menus. With tracks it's a similar story, yes they're good looking, but what I really hate is how tracks were never changed up during the generation. Eiger in GT6 in 2013 looks exactly as it did in Gran Turismo HD back in 2007. I've seen the track a million times in the last 7 years and I just have zero excitement driving on it now. At the same time T10, even if the track has been in the series forever, they change up the environment and especially the lighting with each version. This manages to keep the content from going stale at least for me, I've driven Laguna Seca a million times in Forza and other games, but I'm fine with driving it in FM5, whereas in GT6 I'm seeing the same stuff I've seen in GT4 a decade ago, same skybox and everything. Just kills my immersion completely.

My face driving a 458 in F5 at the 'Ring:

upload_2014-11-7_16-23-32.png

It really takes a large amount of concentration and control to whip that car arounf the Nurburgring, but damn is it fun.

I won't mention the GT series beacause, well....I just won't.

I've still not managed to run a clean lap on the Nord. Got it down to one slight off at least. Still keeps me trying though. I'll manage it one day!

I hear ye I hear ye! T10 listens to their fans. Not all requests get implemented though, but the major ones do, and you gotta give em' kudos for that.

My face driving a 458 in F5 at the 'Ring:

View attachment 251677

It really takes a large amount of concentration and control to whip that car arounf the Nurburgring, but damn is it fun.

I won't mention the GT series beacause, well....I just won't.

Aaahahahahahaha..... man Andy Samberg is funny as crap!! They should roll out a sequel to Hot Rod. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FM4 did a lot of things right, but as someone who has a lot of on-track experience, it did a lot of things wrong, as well. So did GT5/6 for that matter, but they weren't as initially obvious.

I am genuinely interested in how GT7 will turn out. A lot of aspects regarding the simulation in these games are based on resources, such as the hardware of the system they are programmed for. We've seen what hardware limitations have done to FM4 (see FM5 as a result,) so I am very curious to see how the changes in the Playstation's hardware will benefit GT7. Comparing FM4 to GT6, they both do things well in areas where the other falls flat on his face. It is very unfair to compare GT6 to FM5 (although something tells me GT7 will be compared to FM6) so I will be waiting patiently for PD's next release.

Last edited:
GT 6 and Fm5 become more difficult driving, on the steering wheel than the GT 5 and FM4. But my opinion - that fm5 = silly difficulty, the difficulty for the sake of difficulty GT 6 = wise difficulties arising realistic physics. Although the GT 6 seems strange behavior FF cars like the Golf GTI.

And about the difficulty of driving RWD cars in F5 - I can hypothesize - that in the F4 and F5 was not actually a realistic model of the suspension, but the tire model is realistic. And "unrealistic suspension" in the F4 and F5 is insufficiently elastic, because of what is happening too hard and early failure of grip rear wheels.

Just - just like in real life, it happens to race cars and karting. Rigid suspension = no rolls = sharp failure of in drift. The soft suspension = roll = smooth and late failure of in drift. Maybe realistic tires - are incompatible with unrealistic suspension?

GT 6 and Fm5 become more difficult driving, on the steering wheel than the GT 5 and FM4. But my opinion - that fm5 = silly difficulty, the difficulty for the sake of difficulty GT 6 = wise difficulties arising realistic physics. Although the GT 6 seems strange behavior FF cars like the Golf GTI.

And about the difficulty of driving RWD cars in F5 - I can hypothesize - that in the F4 and F5 was not actually a realistic model of the suspension, but the tire model is realistic. And "unrealistic suspension" in the F4 and F5 is insufficiently elastic, because of what is happening too hard and early failure of grip rear wheels.

Just - just like in real life, it happens to race cars and karting. Rigid suspension = no rolls = sharp failure of in drift. The soft suspension = roll = smooth and late failure of in drift. Maybe realistic tires - are incompatible with unrealistic suspension?

I see vastly different input from the GT6/real life/FM5. In GT6 there is an initial steering input and then a counter steer which results in initial understeer. In the real life it seems to show late corner oversteer, and in FM5 I see much of the same thing. In that video FM5 appears, to me, to more faithfully represent what the suspension is doing during late corner oversteer and recreating the oversteer itself.

I see vastly different input from the GT6/real life/FM5. In GT6 there is an initial steering input and then a counter steer which results in initial understeer. In the real life it seems to show late corner oversteer, and in FM5 I see much of the same thing. In that video FM5 appears, to me, to more faithfully represent what the suspension is doing during late corner oversteer and recreating the oversteer itself.
Also they used different cars in the video, which is weird because FM5 has the Golf too. Two cars even from the same manufacturer can drive completely differently.

I think different people have different ideas about what - what is the "driving physics" For some - it's physics unmodified road cars from the garage rent, how these cars are similar to real cars. For others - is the physics of the car after a serious tuning and tuned for racing. Perhaps this is why there is no consensus and a lot of controversy.

Also they used different cars in the video, which is weird because FM5 has the Golf too. Two cars even from the same manufacturer can drive completely differently.

In F5 - Golf 2 is present, but it is too old, Golf 3 - not available, Golf 4 -in the form of all-wheel drive R32, Corrado - a kind of Golf 3, relatively similar - on Golf 4

Back